Author Topic: Ridiculous facts about your time at CoH  (Read 22339 times)

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
Re: Ridiculous facts about your time at CoH
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 09:15:22 PM »
After I'd only been playing for 12 months, I checked how many hours I had played, and it was more than 2200 hours. Then I realized that was SLIGHTLY MORE time than I spent at my 40-hour-a-week job over that same time. I had played enough CoH for a full-time job. I was so shocked I stopped for several months. Then one day I decided being addicted to something like this was not the worst that could happen in life. So if you ever get worried about how much you're playing, my advice is DON'T LOOK. :)

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 09:30:20 PM »
Ok, you also meant to include SILLY I see. :roll:

When crafting came out and I saw the PISTOL temporary power, and decided to get that for my 4-foot-nothing elderly defender "Green Granny". It looks so ridiculously big in her hand, I kept getting, just so I could run around with it in my hand. If you target nothing (or friendlies), and hit the power, it whips out, and then you carry it around for 2 minutes or so. I did shoot it by mistake once in a while, so after ten shots I'd have to get the recipe again and re-craft it. It just got me laughing every time, for MONTHS. Strange how something so stupid can seem so humorous. I loved it so much that my next two characters were 4-foot-nothing grannies, and I even started a SuperGroup named "Pistol-Packing Grannies." By the time the novelty wore off I had a fully-stocked SG base, but of course almost nobody wanted to join an SG with such a stupid name, even if the base was awesome. If only dual pistols had been available at the time, I probably would have laughed myself into a coma. I'm going to have to try a dual-pistol granny when the game comes back.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »
Originally, yeah, entry was capped in the low-20s somewhere.  I forget exactly when that restriction was undone; forced to guess, is say somewhere around I16, when the team-based sidekicking took off.  Before then, I think similar challenges were made to get deep into what, I want to say Founders Falls...

Gate

Ok, I guess it was the timing of the challenge I had wrong. At any rate it was a fun experience on a night when boredom was getting us down.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 12:56:40 AM »
You guys are making start to remember all sorts of fun.

Long before Oro portals and SG portals, we had a SG only event where everyone had to create a brand new char. We then held a level 1 race from Ms. Liberty to back of the cemetery in Dark Astoria... I think. Did DA originally not have a min level to get in or am I remembering it incorrectly?
I remember on Virtue there used to be the Brickstown Races.  All participants would roll a brand new character, no temp powers and run a lap around the Zig. Those were lots of fun
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 01:04:16 AM »
Finished Original Positron with only 4 people back in the early days. Took 6 1/2 hours

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 01:04:35 AM »
I totally misunderstood what "Play Free Forever" meant.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 01:19:15 AM »

Didn't we all. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 01:46:06 AM »
I think, probably the most ridiculous fact about my time playing CoH is I took it entirely too seriously. I looked at the defeat of my character as a bad reflection on the effectiveness of my build and my ability to mash specific keys in a timely manner. There were just rarely any valid reasons to get defeated, at least, that was my opinion.

Sure, I could see getting hammered at level 23 by a level 45 Malta ambush waiting outside Pandora's in Talos. But, to go in a typical mission, the possibility of getting clobbered by any NPC that wasn't an elite boss or an AV just seemed ridiculous, especially later in the game with temporary powers like The ring from Stephanie Peebles, the wolf, the shivan, incarnate pets, etc.

Yeah, I took that game way too seriously. Especially where badges were concerned. Silly badges. I do think having a lot of badges did earn you a measure of respect, though, at least from other badgers.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 03:59:55 AM »
Speaking of videos!

Over the years I used Fraps to take a few short snippets of video here and there unrelated to that machinma project. I never bothered uploading them to YouTube, but I do have them on my personal webspace:

http://adultimum.net/studio/screenshots/coh-kfboottohead.avi

A short five-secondish video of my MA/SR Scrapper, Key-Fu, being himself.

http://adultimum.net/studio/screenshots/coh20091203-peloniuspunt.mp4

Physics engines are like the carbonation in soda or champagne. Making everything bubbly and happy!

http://adultimum.net/studio/screenshots/coh20110427-118835-ragdolldance.mp4

Even when you get your head stuck through a cubicle.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 09:28:45 PM »

Um, no, I think NCSoft misunderstood what that meant.

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 10:06:04 PM »
Um, no, I think NCSoft misunderstood what that meant.
Offer valid for a limited time.
Not applicable in some years. Subject to availability. Ha ha, sucker.

emperorsteele

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 10:21:58 PM »
Let's see, similar to above, I had to solo the last part of a Synapse TF. One of my most favorite achievements, really. The GM ambush was the most memorable moment though: One of my teammates had come back, and I had spammed my predicament across all channels before exiting the instance which spawned the Paladin. The BIGGEST turn-out for a Paladin call-out I've ever seen had arrived to help: 50-odd heroes iirc, and he was down in seconds. On one hand, it was a bit anti-climatic, but on the other hand, it was pretty heartwarming seeing that many strangers and a few friends come to my aid =)

Made a character with the plan to not use any pool or travel powers. But it was Kin/elec (so that was cheating a bit), and then they made the fitness pool free, sooo nothing hard about that.

I did low-level Exploration badge runs, and got pretty good at it. Cheesed me off to no end when someone hosted a lowbie badge-hunting race and I didn't even win! (I think i was 2nd or third, but only because I was too proud to try and die and hosp it to get across IP).

Was playing on my Mind/Kin/Psi in the clockwork dimension map with a full team; The Clockwork King made short work of the invuln and fire tanks, so I took over. Between high psi resists, confusing CKs minions and using my healing powers, I successfully tanked an AV with my controller. In fact, I was initially just buying my team time to escape, but I kinda got "scrapper locked" into staying in combat. I eventually panned my camera around and saw the WHOLE team just standing on a nearby garbage pile, just watching me. I had to yell at them and come help: not because I was in any danger of dying, but because I couldn't quite out DPS the AV's regen, even with a regen debuff being spammed on him every 4 seconds. But yeah, that was as ridiculous as it was epic... for me, at least.

After my Mind/Kin had hit 50, but before Inventions or Incarnates, I spent most of my time with her TKing enemies into police drones, or seeing how high up I could levitate lvl 1s in AP.

I once trolled an MM in Recluse's Victory by using Repel to scatter his henchmen across the map. He got wise and dismissed them, but I kept his giant spider-bot and rolled it around the map. Whenever he would find me, I would yell "MINE!" and run off with it again.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of at the moment =)

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2014, 11:52:20 PM »
Not shocked by this. They don't want to support a ten year old version. Did they offer an upgrade path? I'm also buried somewhere in the TOS is some clause saying that the activation license is only good for like 5 years and only to the original purchaser. I would guess that you bought this from a third party.

yezz...It was an Amazon vendor....Adobe suggested I purchase their newest one.......duh...
I wouldn't need their help if I afford that.

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
One of my favorite AV to solo with my scrappers was Marauder

I would use the Orbus portal just to farm him as an AV. I probably killed him while over 50 times solo

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2014, 02:27:19 PM »
Back when I first started playing and fall damage would kill you, I would be that guy offering tp's across steel canyon except I would just drop lowbies off of the highest building. I realize how horrible it was but since it happened to me countless times I didn't really care all that much ;). Lots of people got a kick out of it and after a good laugh I'd take them just about anywhere, however some people really got upset and would freak out in team chat, not realizing I could tp them straight from the hospital and kill them again. Usually after that they would quit the team and start the broadcast hate which I didn't mind either. I know it was horrible to do but in reality it's not that bad...

The other thing was back when Perez park was pretty much mandatory And there was no aggro cap I'd fly around gathering as many mobs I could and then drag them to a lowbie and watch the "@_@" appear in chat as a massive wave of enemies would run them over. Once again happened to me many times and was another "for teh lulz" moments when you were bored. I did however do this when there were three full lowbie teams of 8, they actually got through the gauntlet of death.

Despite all the early years of trolling I think my karma finally balanced after the AE/mailing system was released. I had an elec/fire brute IO'd out for defense, which sounds dumb but I could do max runs with a full team of 8 and only spent about 200mil on the thing. I would gladly take along anyone who asked instead of charging out the you know what for a couple runs. I would also mail 50+mil sometimes to random people I seen just to see what would happen. Even more often I would give the people at costume contests who didn't win but had great concepts free inf, usually more than the actual winners.

I think my dumbest move would have to be trying to organize a villain side hami raid at random... 4 hours of stressful organization all for nothing... But would I do it again after losing this game, he'll yeah.

Oh so that was you!

I remember high levels dragging 100's of mobs down the streets of Perez.

I also had one level 20 guy invite me to a team,  TP me to a high building, then quit and leave me there! I was like level 4 or 5 or something so no big deal if I jumped off but I thought what a p***k. LOL

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2014, 04:56:31 PM »
Oh so that was you!

I remember high levels dragging 100's of mobs down the streets of Perez.

I also had one level 20 guy invite me to a team,  TP me to a high building, then quit and leave me there! I was like level 4 or 5 or something so no big deal if I jumped off but I thought what a p***k. LOL

Yes I was definitely one of those people XD but if you think that's bad I definitely one up'd this. Tp'ing the lowbies trying to get to the tailor to the middle of steel canyon and letting them slowly maneuver around the mobs was another dirty trick, I would usually say if you get there I'll give you x amount of inf and tp them back :P one guy died five or six times before having a mental break down, after I gathered myself from laughing I just took him there and gave him a I think like 100,000 inf which was quite a bit at the time. After a couple days of trolling around though it got pretty boring so its not like I made this a daily habit...I was bad, but not sit there everyday thinking doing it over and over bad.

If it makes you feel any better the people I started playing with abused me all the time, they were all dead set on having a bunch of 40's where as I had like high 20's low 30's toons, definite altaholic. So whenever I was with them in high level zones guess who was the punch line to all the tp jokes XD 

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2014, 05:05:55 PM »
Yes I was definitely one of those people XD but if you think that's bad I definitely one up'd this. Tp'ing the lowbies trying to get to the tailor to the middle of steel canyon and letting them slowly maneuver around the mobs was another dirty trick, I would usually say if you get there I'll give you x amount of inf and tp them back :P one guy died five or six times before having a mental break down, after I gathered myself from laughing I just took him there and gave him a I think like 100,000 inf which was quite a bit at the time. After a couple days of trolling around though it got pretty boring so its not like I made this a daily habit...I was bad, but not sit there everyday thinking doing it over and over bad.

If it makes you feel any better the people I started playing with abused me all the time, they were all dead set on having a bunch of 40's where as I had like high 20's low 30's toons, definite altaholic. So whenever I was with them in high level zones guess who was the punch line to all the tp jokes XD

Where you also one of those people that would drag the GM's from Monster Island to Portal Corp where all the lowbies hung around looking to be powerleveled? I have to admit THAT was funny.

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2014, 05:33:21 PM »
Where you also one of those people that would drag the GM's from Monster Island to Portal Corp where all the lowbies hung around looking to be powerleveled? I have to admit THAT was funny.

I agree it was hilarious, I can neither confirm or deny my involvement in this :P I wasn't big on farming early on in my CoH career so I don't think I personally did this to anyone, one of my friends tp'd me to the top of the hospital there though and trying to get back to the boat was a b. By the time I got into actual farming the aggro cap was in place. I spent lots of time messing around, whether it be with costumes or just running around looking for random people to interact with.

My worst trolling move ever was getting under the map in sirens call then tp foe someone down and watch them fall XD if you only had ss or sj there was no way for you to get out and they would have to wait for a gm :P one gm got pretty mad they had to keep coming back and I'm lucky there were like ten other people under the map with me, otherwise he probably would have just banned me >.> I stopped after that needless to say...

Supermax

• Minion
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2014, 01:42:40 AM »
All I have to say is this...

http://deltronslair.com/topten.swf

My SG was pretty awesome  8)

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2014, 03:28:20 AM »
I remember one time I was training at Ms. Liberty when all of a sudden a *horde* of civilians (dozens and dozens) came running up and swarming all over her.  They wouldn't say anything, they just kept trying to climb all over her.  All the other players and I were confused, what kind of bug could do this?

Then I looked up to see the L50 blaster hovering about 30 ft up.

Apparently he had killed all the Hellion mobs around Atlas Square but stayed far enough up that they never had a chance to thank him (and then find a door to zone out).  And they kept following him so long as he stayed high enough and moved slow enough.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A