Author Topic: Ridiculous facts about your time at CoH  (Read 22343 times)

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
Ridiculous facts about your time at CoH
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:48:53 PM »
I was wondering what sorts of extremely silly decisions or things you've done during your time playing CoH.

For example, I started playing on Infinity because it happened to be the name of my work computer (HPUX machine that could utilize names like that).

Or I kept the Black Hole (AoE intangible) power on my Dark Defender because I liked the idea of it. The silly part is I used it exactly once in about 5 issues.

Or I never made a fire/ blaster simply because they PO'd me too often in pvp with their "I'm better than everyone" taunting while running back to their pocket Emp for Fortitude.

What was so silly about your time playing CoH?
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
Re: Ridiculous facts about your time at CoH
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 10:16:06 PM »
I had a music video machinma I was working on shortly after I started playing on 2008. Being the cheap college student that I am, I was trying to work on it entirely in Flash since it has some rudimentary video editing capabilities. (My version is really, really old. Flash MX from 2001ish.)

My clever plan failed: Flash crashes attempting to open video-heavy files after a certain point. However, I still have a lot of the base videos, and I now have access to Adobe Aftereffects ...

I should see about remaking this some day.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 11:33:28 PM »
(My version is really, really old. Flash MX from 2001ish.)

Yezz...Few months ago I bought Flash MX 2004 on Amazon, but despite the reg. number, Adobe would not help me register it, 10 year old software....>sigh<

CoH ridiculous incidents? I imagine some insane long TF's I spent time on. 3 or 4 hours.
However, I spent entire Weekends on CoH ....save for eating lunch, showering, sleeping.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 11:50:05 PM »
Yezz...Few months ago I bought Flash MX 2004 on Amazon, but despite the reg. number, Adobe would not help me register it, 10 year old software....>sigh<

CoH ridiculous incidents? I imagine some insane long TF's I spent time on. 3 or 4 hours.
However, I spent entire Weekends on CoH ....save for eating lunch, showering, sleeping.

I do remember taking a squishy character or two into a Posi TF only to have the team dissolve after a mish leaving only me on the team. I finished the TF solo and once it took me over 10 hrs. I don't remember the char but I was level 12 and the first solo mission took me like 2 or 3 hrs of trying new strategies.

And yes, it was long before temp powers and things like that.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 12:35:42 AM »
Back when I first started playing and fall damage would kill you, I would be that guy offering tp's across steel canyon except I would just drop lowbies off of the highest building. I realize how horrible it was but since it happened to me countless times I didn't really care all that much ;). Lots of people got a kick out of it and after a good laugh I'd take them just about anywhere, however some people really got upset and would freak out in team chat, not realizing I could tp them straight from the hospital and kill them again. Usually after that they would quit the team and start the broadcast hate which I didn't mind either. I know it was horrible to do but in reality it's not that bad...

The other thing was back when Perez park was pretty much mandatory And there was no aggro cap I'd fly around gathering as many mobs I could and then drag them to a lowbie and watch the "@_@" appear in chat as a massive wave of enemies would run them over. Once again happened to me many times and was another "for teh lulz" moments when you were bored. I did however do this when there were three full lowbie teams of 8, they actually got through the gauntlet of death.

Despite all the early years of trolling I think my karma finally balanced after the AE/mailing system was released. I had an elec/fire brute IO'd out for defense, which sounds dumb but I could do max runs with a full team of 8 and only spent about 200mil on the thing. I would gladly take along anyone who asked instead of charging out the you know what for a couple runs. I would also mail 50+mil sometimes to random people I seen just to see what would happen. Even more often I would give the people at costume contests who didn't win but had great concepts free inf, usually more than the actual winners.

I think my dumbest move would have to be trying to organize a villain side hami raid at random... 4 hours of stressful organization all for nothing... But would I do it again after losing this game, he'll yeah.

Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 01:05:30 AM »
Five years of playing and I'd never once been on a successful Hami raid.

Before AE came out I use to run TV farms and make fat cash. Honestly, it's one of the things I miss the most.

I bought a house without checking out the Internet situation and was only able to get satellite, I played CoV on a one second delay for over a year.

I pretty much exclusively played brutes(to 50). I had a Rob/FF MM, a Ice/rad corr, and a ice/kin corr, the rest were all brutes.
"oh, by the way, we own City of Heroes now: who wants pie."

Microcosm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 03:15:46 AM »
Since this was the first game of its type I played, it was 'obvious' to me that the thing to do was slot one of each allowed enhancement type in each power you had, including brawl, sprint, and rest. Took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out not to do that  :roll:

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 04:36:56 AM »

Not shocked by this. They don't want to support a ten year old version. Did they offer an upgrade path? I'm also buried somewhere in the TOS is some clause saying that the activation license is only good for like 5 years and only to the original purchaser. I would guess that you bought this from a third party.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 07:53:34 AM »
Since this was the first game of its type I played, it was 'obvious' to me that the thing to do was slot one of each allowed enhancement type in each power you had, including brawl, sprint, and rest. Took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out not to do that  :roll:

That's too funny. I would have done that too, but I quickly found someone (or maybe they found me) who wanted to play mentor to me.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 08:02:15 AM »
Started playing at Issue 3 when the game released in Europe. My first character was well into 30s before I learned about being able to buy SO enhancements, I'd never even visited an enhancement store until I got to the unlockable one in FF

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 12:24:26 PM »
Started playing at Issue 3 when the game released in Europe. My first character was well into 30s before I learned about being able to buy SO enhancements, I'd never even visited an enhancement store until I got to the unlockable one in FF
I started playing mid issue 6, I didn't spend my inf because, I read it was my influence I had with the population and I did not want to lower it. A friend of mine said spend it, it is the currency on the game. Before that I ran with whatever dropped mostly tos and a few dos, and fewer sos. For me it was not until level 35 before my friend asked me how I specced out.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 01:48:29 PM »
I soloed the Atta mission and it took all day this was my first few weeks into coh after trying and deleting several characters I had settled on a katana/sr and this was back in I2. I did not know how long that freakin mission was lets just say I hated the Atta mission after that day.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 02:04:06 PM »
In a fit of silliness, I made a [Brawl]-only Brute, solo, street sweep only, and got him to 50+alpha slot.  But y'all have heard enough about him, I reckon.

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 03:58:12 PM »
When I began this amazing game in 2004, I kept hearing from my friends that "you get your travel power at 14."  I never took the time to ask about the trams, I didn't even know they existed.  I ran to every mission, at times trying to take shortcuts through zones that I was woefully inexperienced to go through.  I remember trying to cut through IP from Steel Canyon to Kings Row.  Not a happy ending.  I entered IP and thought "Hey... why don't I just make a quick left and cut through the back of these buildings."  I jumped over the fence and landed right in the middle of a bunch of guys all dressed in three-piece suits.

I woke up in the hospital.
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 06:12:46 PM »
When I began this amazing game in 2004, I kept hearing from my friends that "you get your travel power at 14."  I never took the time to ask about the trams, I didn't even know they existed.  I ran to every mission, at times trying to take shortcuts through zones that I was woefully inexperienced to go through.  I remember trying to cut through IP from Steel Canyon to Kings Row.  Not a happy ending.  I entered IP and thought "Hey... why don't I just make a quick left and cut through the back of these buildings."  I jumped over the fence and landed right in the middle of a bunch of guys all dressed in three-piece suits.

You guys are making start to remember all sorts of fun.

Long before Oro portals and SG portals, we had a SG only event where everyone had to create a brand new char. We then held a level 1 race from Ms. Liberty to back of the cemetery in Dark Astoria... I think. Did DA originally not have a min level to get in or am I remembering it incorrectly?
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 06:14:27 PM »
In a fit of silliness, I made a [Brawl]-only Brute, solo, street sweep only, and got him to 50+alpha slot.  But y'all have heard enough about him, I reckon.

That's one of the more awesomely silly things ever.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 06:40:53 PM »

In a stroke of brilliance in my own mind I made a Ice/storm controller great in groups with artic fog + steamy mist and then ice slick + freezing rain but when trying to solo missions when I was not able to group was less exciting than watching paint dry (Realize I had 7 scrappers at 50 and only one non scrapper to 50)

Needless to say shelved and then deleted

energizingion

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 06:58:52 PM »

Sounds very similar to what happened to me.  During the CoH beta, I don't think the trams were even working so I finished my first contact's missions in AP and my next contact was in Kings' Row (just south of the Galaxy City entrance; was a female NPC).  So, I traveled from AP to Skyway City and noticed, "wow, these mobs are red or purple...better tread carefully."

I walked/sprinted (was only lvl 5 or so) through SC and got to KR.  Thought the tough part was over because most mobs in KR were white or yellow.  Anyways, never been in KR before so I was trying to cut straight through to the NPC and jumped over a fence...why hello there red conned Vahzilok.  2-3 hits later I was dead.  :(   I was only 100-200 or so yards away from the NPC too. heh

Gatecrasher

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 08:18:14 PM »
You guys are making start to remember all sorts of fun.

Long before Oro portals and SG portals, we had a SG only event where everyone had to create a brand new char. We then held a level 1 race from Ms. Liberty to back of the cemetery in Dark Astoria... I think. Did DA originally not have a min level to get in or am I remembering it incorrectly?

Originally, yeah, entry was capped in the low-20s somewhere.  I forget exactly when that restriction was undone; forced to guess, is say somewhere around I16, when the team-based sidekicking took off.  Before then, I think similar challenges were made to get deep into what, I want to say Founders Falls...

Gate

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 08:36:34 PM »
Rolling energy blast not just for the knockback, but to keep stop having fun guys, scrubs and idiots from inviting me to their bad teams that'd wipe all the time.  Funniest thing, it worked, I almost always had better teams for it.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.