Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy  (Read 4962 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Guardians of the Galaxy
« on: August 01, 2014, 03:54:33 AM »
One of the funniest movies I've seen in quite a while.  Also a couple of emotional bits as well.

Saw it with a respectable audience of comic book fans, one doing a very creditable Tony Stark with the hair, beard and the light up IM2 arc reactor T-shirt.

Has all the standard things you expect to find in an MCU movie.  You have the Stan "The Man" sighting.  And you have the extra scenes.  Maybe two if you count the one just before the credits.  The extra one is after the entire credit block.  The reveal elicited many "what the ..." from the audience.

Karen Gillian's Nebula wasn't a lot of screen time, which is maybe why she's staring in an ABC comedy this fall called Selfie.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:14:55 PM »
Was anyone else struck by how 70s/80s Sci-Fi the film looked? I'm not talking about just the MUSIC (which was awesome, BTW!) - I mean the DESIGN - even the space vistas - so many times I was struck by the thought "This looks like SO many Sci-Fi paperback/Rock Album art I used to see!"

Hell - It almost wouldn't have phased me to see Starlord's ship docking at the ELO spacestation!

Guardians of the Galaxy - it's Firefly by way of Jim Steranko and Chris Foss!

And IT. IS. AWESOME!!!! :D

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 11:18:37 PM »
Also -

"WE are Groot!"

Damnit damnit damnit... sumthin' in mah eye. Damnit... (snif)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »
Oh - one more tidbit on Guardians Of The Galaxy - I WON'T SPOIL it - but the final post credits trailer... let's just say it got me - in the theater without me even THINKING about it - to do a classic "David Tennant Doctor Who" line before I could rein myself in --

"...what...

What...

WHAT?!?"

(chuckling and shaking my head as I left the theater... "You sly sonsoBITCHES!!" :D  )

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 02:06:44 AM »
The reveal elicited many "what the ..." from the audience.

I hope it's not too much of a reveal by saying it was before a lot of people's time? 

For me, GotG had its entertaining bits but it felt like it was all over the place and it seemed, for whatever reason, difficult for the movie to build a moment.  Maybe I'm getting old because I was hard pressed to keep up with all the dialogue and pace.  Some parts had me a bit nostalgic and it was like watching Flash Gordon.  One scene, I half expected to see Brian Blessed fly in with his army. 

Never read the comic but I'm versed enough with all the different Infinity series to have a good idea of what's going on.  I wasn't on the edge of my seat and wasn't at any point ready to jump up and cheer.  Dunno if I'll go see the sequel.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 03:03:00 AM »
I agree that there were sections of the movie that I had a hard time trying to figure out where it was headed. But I chalked those up to the standard issues of other "origin" movies where the director has to introduce the main characters, explain what makes them tick, bring them together, work out their differences, and resolve everything with rainbows and unicorns, all while trying to fit a plot in there, too. I expect the sequel to be much more straightforward because we won't have to go through all that again. (See: "Captain America 2")

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and will likely see it again, if only to catch more dialogue and in 3D.

(While I'm old enough to have seen the source material for the second stinger reference, I never did. That didn't stop me from shouting "You gotta be kidding me", though. :) )

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 03:19:49 AM »
Agreed on the point of Cap 2.  If Guardians' sequel is heralded by a flashy trailer that promises something more coherent and cohesive I suppose I'll make my way to see it.  Also, before I saw Winter Soldier, I watched an interview with Chris Evans where he outlined what he wanted in the sequel that he felt was missing from the first movie.  As he was going down the list, I was like, "Um, yes.  I agree to all of this." Seeing him acknowledge the faults of the original film pretty much sold me.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 05:52:16 AM »
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 07:25:46 AM »
We?

The Temporal Prime Directive strictly prohibits me from going into further detail.  Or as River Song puts it, "Spoilers!!"

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 08:06:48 PM »
Saw it today.

Enjoyed it a lot.

Had a good sense of humor.

I am wondering if we might see Nova (preferably Richard Rider) introduced into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.) :D

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 08:11:29 PM »
Oh - one more tidbit on Guardians Of The Galaxy - I WON'T SPOIL it - but the final post credits trailer... let's just say it got me - in the theater without me even THINKING about it - to do a classic "David Tennant Doctor Who" line before I could rein myself in --

"...what...

What...

WHAT?!?"

(chuckling and shaking my head as I left the theater... "You sly sonsoBITCHES!!" :D  )

The last two Marvel movies I've been to (I missed The Dark World in theaters) seemed to have the same guy, channeling the Comic Book Store Guy from The Simpsons, admonishing all the people who were getting up as the credits rolled, because they were "missing" the embedded teasers. I'm taking my son to see GotG in a few minutes (neither of us has seen it, yet, but I know what the shock twist is that isn't being spoiled) at a different cinema! I swear to Odin: if the same guy is there, this time, I'm yelling out, "It's [REDACTED], everybody! You can go home, now!"

Ugh.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 09:24:05 PM »
Saw it today.

Enjoyed it a lot.

Had a good sense of humor.

I am wondering if we might see Nova (preferably Richard Rider) introduced into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.) :D

I think we already knew Nova was showing up somewhere eventually (I forget who was said to be cast...).

A fun movie that kind-of embraces the silliness of Marvel's space society.  Glad to see all the creator credits, (especially Starlin) but nothing but a general "name in the list" for Kirby (Ronin, Groot, even the Celestials cameo, etc.)
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 10:06:05 PM »
The Temporal Prime Directive strictly prohibits me from going into further detail.  Or as River Song puts it, "Spoilers!!"
great, and I have to wait till the 28th before I can watch the movie myself  :(
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 11:08:15 PM »
I wonder how long it took Vin Diesel to record his line(s).

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 02:54:10 AM »

Haha, I can only imagine it took 100 takes per slight change in his emotion per line.  Although he really does do a good job as the few lined characters he voices.  I thought he was great as the Iron Giant too.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 03:55:41 AM »
My wife had the same thought. On research, turns out he not only had several hours in the recording booth (with the same guy at the controls as when he voiced Iron Giant), but he also did all the mo-cap, much like Beneficent Cummerbund did for Smaug.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 04:03:38 AM »

According to an interview he did, he said the line about 1000 times. He also recorded it in about six languages other than English so it would be his voice in all the other worldwide releases.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 07:19:33 AM »
"Yo soy Groot"?

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 07:45:29 AM »
Haha, I can only imagine it took 100 takes per slight change in his emotion per line.  Although he really does do a good job as the few lined characters he voices.  I thought he was great as the Iron Giant too.

As someone else noted, he also did the motion capture, and an interview I read with him noted that the script he had had a whole bunch of notes next to each line in the scene explaining what was going on in Groot's head at that particular moment so that it wasn't just like he was saying a line over and over.

It also sounded like this was about all that he had time to do with his current schedule, so not having to be present for days on end for filming worked out best for him anyway.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 01:09:52 PM »