Author Topic: Favorite Power Set  (Read 6952 times)

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
Favorite Power Set
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:51:25 AM »
What was your favorite power set in the whole game and why?  Yes, you can only pick one!!

For me, I think it would have to be [Gravity Control].  No, it wasn't the strongest set, no it was never a FotM build or a star at PvP, and nope, you sure couldn't farm with it... but the shear variety in the set made it interesting to me to play, and especially after they changed the single target bubbles to AoEs, and made Dimension Shift into an intriguing situational power.  Perhaps my favorite thing was when I discovered a new niche for one of my powers, or an interaction I didn't realize was there.  For instance, remember the part of the MoM trial when you had to get little old Penelope to stand in the center of a collapsed Storm otherwise she was invulnerable?  Enter Wormhole, and you can merely pull her to the first room and place one of those storms on top of her every time... it was great and had better base accuracy than TP Foe, IIRC.  Also, it was pretty cool that the AoE Immob didn't interfere with KD powers... so one could use it pretty much willy-nilly even over an Ice Slick and not nullify the power.

But, mostly, I loved it because it was the set used on my main, so I used that set for hours upon hours.  I lead probably hundreds of badge runs with a Gravity Troller on Justice, and had somewhere close to 1300 badges on him too.  Warts and all, I learned to love that set.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:57:35 PM by Thirty-Seven »

Fridgy Daiere

Re: Favorite Power Set
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 03:00:59 PM »
Demon Summoning; I just liked the whip.    ;)

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 04:53:37 PM »
Absolute favorite power set... hm...

So many to choose...

I got to be honest, I really really liked Mind Control for 'Trollers and Doms.  I mean... the ability to lock down so many bad guys at once, or nearly so, then use one more power, and for sure, they ain't goin' anywhere or doing anything.  Then, if solo, just sit there and play and play and play with them until you broke them ('cause I was pretty good at managing things, so when they were fixing to break loose... Um, no, not so much, you're not.)

The rare times that I even hit an AV and held 'em... those were just a little piece of joy.  "OOH!  I locked the AV down!"  Of course, it wasn't long, because AV, but still.  SO cool. :)

Plus, for the scrappers/tanks/brutes, no running!  All the targets stay in place, for the bruscrankers to abuse and destroy.  I'm helping the team. :D

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 05:05:35 PM »
mine is will power :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

DragonCommando

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 05:53:48 PM »
I just can't pick only ONE, sorry Thirty-Seven. So I divided the powers by categories and, only then, chose one...

Here it goes:
- Offensive melee: Super Strength (followed by Titan Weapons, maybe if I had more time with TW it would be my favorite one);
- Offensive ranged: Sonic attack (followed by Dual pistols - loved Hail of Bullets);
- Defensive: Electric Armor or Shield Defense, I really don't know;
- Control: Illusion Control (for Trollers) and Mind Control (for Doms);
- Support: Kinetics (followed by Dark Miasma);
- MM pets: Robotics.

jacknomind

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 06:05:55 PM »
Fiery Aura.

"Alright guys, there are a few shards in the next room, so let's group up and -- damnit, <jack>, stop!"
(Sounds of stabbing, burning, flailing, and debt.)
"*facepalm* What did I say.  Anyway, let's--"
(RISE OF THE PHOENIX!)
(Further stabbing, etc, etc, debt.)
"You know, I thought you'd actually clear that for a second.  Well, at least it'll be easy for the rest of us to--"
(RISE OF THE PHOENIX!)
"...Do you have that fully slotted for recharge?"
(SELFDESTRUCT, followed by RISE OF THE PHOENIX!)

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 07:01:44 PM »
I loved making pulp style heroes so probably Dual Pistols followed by martial arts or street justice.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 07:14:27 PM »
Plant Control . HAd a little bit of the Mind controller set in it and well  I loved the Vines and the Flytrap :)

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 07:50:40 PM »
Mace of course, its super overpowered :)

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 11:36:56 PM »
Fiery Aura.

"Alright guys, there are a few shards in the next room, so let's group up and -- damnit, <jack>, stop!"
(Sounds of stabbing, burning, flailing, and debt.)
"*facepalm* What did I say.  Anyway, let's--"
(RISE OF THE PHOENIX!)
(Further stabbing, etc, etc, debt.)
"You know, I thought you'd actually clear that for a second.  Well, at least it'll be easy for the rest of us to--"
(RISE OF THE PHOENIX!)
"...Do you have that fully slotted for recharge?"
(SELFDESTRUCT, followed by RISE OF THE PHOENIX!)
Ha!  My Fiery Aura character was basically a zombie who was completely loyal to his sorceress Level Pactmate... So he was all about doing stuff like that!

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 12:36:35 AM »
Kinetic melee for overall powerset.  I loved this power set purely for the animations.

But I had the most fun with my main character and shield defense.  I loved shield charge as my favorite individual power because I loved finishing off mobs by charging in and sending them all flying.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 05:25:14 PM »
I enjoyed the three dual-wield sets; swords, claws, and pistols. A lot of others such as mace were fun for me but those three were my bread and butter.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Tyrannical

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 06:29:35 PM »
Nnngh, I too suffer from having too many favorites... so here's a few for good measure;

Thugs - bloody good damage dealers and the perfect henchmen for the streetwise villain, loved it to bits, especially when you can stack two 'Gang Wars' with enough recharge... ooh boy.

Darkness Control - a long overdue set in my opinion, and one that proved so versatile and visually appealing I had it on one of my mains, one of the best control sets for turning the tide I reckon.

Poison - Sorely underrated, I loved it... although I didn't give it much use until it was ported to other sets, the ability to make friends and foes puke their guts always made me giggle.

Ninjitsu - I like my stalkers, and Ninjitsu just made them more fun. The ability to area placate, blind and confuse opponents made gameplay quite interesting.

Husk

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 12:30:28 PM »
Again too many to choose just the one....lol

1. Kinetics...riot to play,throwing area heals around,buffing,etc but the difference a kin made to a team was immense...fulcrum shift truly was game changing.

2. Plant...I paired it with kinetics,seeds of confusion was awesome specially at lvl 8 haha,creepers were top notch specially with fulcrum shift and the pet was groovy.

3. Illusion/rad...amazing set...nothing it couldn't do...AV killer,etc...permanent decoys were the cherry on the cake.

4. Traps...just loved the utility of set,acid mortar with a +hold io was joyous,gas trap was amazing till the nerf,seekers were great for taking alpha,plus a 25 mine field was a sight to see when mobs ran over it.

Odimodus

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 12:37:34 PM »
Domination/mind control. So cool to give someone a headache and stop them for bothering me.

fearalice

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 02:05:10 PM »
My Illusion/Kinetics character was a ghost. Never walked a step without superior invis and group invis stacked on myself, no travel power thanks to siphon speed and inertial reduction. And lets face it, every damn power in kinetics was just hilariously awesome. The reaction from brutes or scrappers when they got their very first taste of fulcrum shift was worth every hour played on the character. And for the ones who have played long enough to know FS and ask for it you got to surprise with transference slotted for recharge so much that i could fill their energy bar faster than they could empty it. It was actually shocking how seldom they expected that. Add to that illusion's grab bag of fun... Phantom army and mind control being the biggest ones. With that character we didn't need a tank, we didn't need a healer, we didn't need anything but heavy hitters. It was interesting too because it was a controller who i used very little control on. Sure, i locked down the bosses or higher with blind or confuse, but PA and all of my kinetic fun was what made up the brunt of my attacks. And the fact that i was at about -8million threat meant i really was pretty much never there. I got to have my fun playground messing with the battle while having no threat of ever being found.

Then my Plant/Empathy character. Mmmm... plant. Better confuse powers than mind control. Which made me sad for my mind characters, but with the character concept i liked it. Open up with confuse spores and it was better than opening up with an area hold. Not only did i prevent anyone getting hit, i used the enemy's dreaded alpha strike against themselves. Carrion was endlessly fun. Liked it more than my pet actually. Then empathy. Oh dear lord empathy. You will never see a happier damage dealer than one with permanent Adrenaline boost. A friend of mine refused to play his scrapper unless this character was online. Then the other buffs i can't remember the names of that you could keep active on two people thanks to perma haste... It was just marvelous.

And finally (only because i don't want to write an essay length post about every character i've ever had) my earth/storms controller. Anyone who ever told you they hate knock abilities because they toss everyone around and don't keep them set up for AoE attacks was too focused on doing things the "best" way and didn't know how to have fun.... and didn't have enough knocks. Not one enemy ever stood on their feet long enough to say a damn thing. They were flying EVERYWHERE. Into other mobs, over to the blasters and back again, it was just pure chaos. It was so incredibly chaotic in fact that people didn't complain about it. Sure it wasn't the fastest clearing group ever but damnit it was fun. And if you aren't playing a game for fun then why do it? Opening up by summoning my rock golem (or sand golem, as the character colors and theme made it) and letting that little wanna-be-granite tank everything an alpha could be only to follow it up with some quicksand and more wind, tornados, and hurricane than anyone could imagine... I think it was the only character with knock arounds who every blaster did not just immediately leave the party.

And now i sadface cause i can't have these characters or anything remotely like them in any game until we get this back.

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 10:23:44 PM »
Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast Water Blast

Water Blast

It's the best

Water?  check.  blasting?  absolutely.

throw some water balls and make people swirl around in a whirlpool

and the horrifying Dehydrate.  devour their life-giving fluids.

color it red and you're a crazy vampire thing or a blood mage.  color it green and you're blasting lime jello.  color it yellow and you are gross SERVING DELICIOUS LEMONADE.  color it white and you are gross PRETTY GROSS

the best set
green hair

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 11:03:40 PM »
Scrapper that is a power set correct  ;)

Kaderie

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 11:10:27 PM »
Ohgodsomanysets

I can't decide!

I guess if you forced an answer out of me my answer would be...

/Dark on a controller. So beautiful. +20+% defense to the entire team, resistance buffs, too, endless endurance for the team, res and regen debuffs and the strongest team heal + rez in the game. Oh yeah, and it's on a controller, so add lots of control from the primary set it's paired with. Just beautiful.

I'd made a plant/dark controller shortly before the shutdown, and she was a beast. 44% defense to EVERYTHING (brought ranged up to 45%, heh), 175% recharge, endless endurance, capped S/L resistance, 40% Fire/Negative/Psi resistance, 25% energy/cold resistance and procs in absolutely everything (4 damage procs in Carrion Creepers, which were perma'd)

I never got to play her much because of the shutdown notice :(

But she'll be the first thing I'll recreate.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 11:13:54 PM »
 I cannot participate in this thread because the OP has created a trick question..

Its like asking which one of your kids you love the most..