Author Topic: Favorite Power Set  (Read 6950 times)

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
Re: Favorite Power Set
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 11:23:42 PM »
It's like asking which one of your kids you love the most..
No, that's totally possible... it's impossible to regard a group of things equally, even kids, there's always an edge that makes one higher or lower!

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 11:26:34 PM »
I can only narrow it down to "Control sets".   I seriously loved every one of them equally.  Still wanted to try combos I didn't get around to.

The aforementioned Ill/Rad came with so many different tools to help a team.

Ice/Storm was chaotic controlling.

Mind is just great for pure locking down goodness.

Earth is right there with Mind.

Fire is destructive fun.

Oooo.....

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 11:37:17 PM »
Spines/ninjitsu for me...love me some Impale and Kuji-In Retsu!!!

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 11:42:28 PM »
You cannot as an altaholic his/her ONE favorite power set. WE DONT HAVE ONE. that's why we are altaholics.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 12:28:54 AM »
Altaholic here running some 50 toons over several accounts at the same time.  But if you forced me into a set.  I'd have to run illusion/storm.  Most fun toon those was Lil Cosmic Mouse.  FF/Dual Pistols def. Put her into her white body armor with black highlights and she looked like a cute, little storm trooper straight out of star wars.

This straight from my personal wiki.  This is her personal page:

force field/dual pistol defender

Coming from the fartherest reaches of the galaxy, Lil Cosmic Mouse is here via the mouse/human treaty. The treaty allows mice to bounty hunt on Earth. While most mice prefer very low tech hunting (no scanners or tracking devices or shields or cloaking devices), Lil Cosmic is atypical in that she uses a shield generator during close combat. She has no issues using cloaking technology either. While her original designs protected only her, she now has systems that can lend protection to others.

As such, she's turned in her blasters for a pair of automatics and gone hunting on Earth.

Signature weapons: AMT Automag V 50 AE.
Also known to use from time to time 454 Casulls
Also known to use mac10s

Of all the mice, she was the only mouse with a ship still intact. She oversaw the withdraw of all mice, all invited people, and the dismantling of all mouse tech. While many of the physical systems were left behind, all software was removed and setup so that reboot would wipe them and then destroy the systems beyond repair. All mice, invited, and tech not left behind was sent home via mouse space bridges. All ships except hers were dismantled and sent home via space bridge. Lil Cosmic Mouse was the only mouse to leave using her ship.

No Surrender!

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 05:28:13 PM »
On a visceral level, Street Justice was probably the most satisfying, especially on Brutes. Watching your power build with each hit, then unleashing it into a punch that looked like it left teeth scattered across the ground like breadcrumbs for the pigeons...yeah, that was fun. :)

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 06:16:52 PM »
On a visceral level, Street Justice was probably the most satisfying, especially on Brutes. Watching your power build with each hit, then unleashing it into a punch that looked like it left teeth scattered across the ground like breadcrumbs for the pigeons...yeah, that was fun. :)
Grod you just reminded me of one of the homage characters I ever made.... I made a purple suited "Drake Mallard" with Kinetic... I loved having him flip around and build up his energy meter just like the cartoon mad duck he was
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 02:23:23 AM »
The one I actually played was Dual Pistols. That was my s***. I loved it. IO'd my toon so much he was slightly off a DPS tank, and I almost finished my first Ultimate IO when the game shut down.

The most interesting for me was FF because you could have a lot of variety with your powers, where with a power like Fire Control almost everyone expected you to have Kinetics with it (I only saw 1 dude without Fire/Kin and he was Fire/FF), but with Force Fields you could have like FF Fire Blast, or FF Dual Pistols, etc etc. That and the idea of granting your allies (or pets) Force Fields intrigued me a lot. Too bad I never really got into a toon that got to Lvl 50. Really want to do that if the game comes back

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 04:31:36 AM »
Force Field was pretty awesome.  I had two of them at 50, a Troller and a MM.  I loved them both!

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 12:34:05 PM »
It's so hard to choose just one.

But let's just say Robotics.  Pushing one button and having six robots simultaneously raise their arms and start shooting at a target never got old.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2014, 04:43:11 PM »
It's so hard to choose just one.

But let's just say Robotics.  Pushing one button and having six robots simultaneously raise their arms and start shooting at a target never got old.
Nor did using the pet emotes to make them all dance like ED-260 doing the thriller dance
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2014, 05:05:46 PM »

Water Blast

It's the best

Water?  check.  blasting?  absolutely.

color it red and you're a crazy vampire thing or a blood mage.  color it green and you're blasting lime jello.  color it yellow and you are gross SERVING DELICIOUS LEMONADE.  color it white and you are gross PRETTY GROSS

I had a water blaster.  Colored his "water" brown, and named him Captain Colostomy.  Then, I sent him into the sewers to fight the giant twin poo-monsters.

Ah... good times.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 05:12:43 PM »
So, now to answer for favorite powerset... hmmmm.. tough choice.

Since about 80% of my toons were scrappers, it would probably be scrapper powers.

I love love loved Willpower.  add the self heal from the power-pool and you have nearly perfect defense.  A Scrapper with well-balanced Willpower could tank as good as anything.

So, that is my very favorite. 

But favorite combination...

...Ugh... Let's see... Street Justice, Martial Arts and Dual Blades all paired up nicely with Willpower.  The toon I found myself going back to the most was a Martial Arts / Willpower scrapper.  So, that will be my answer.

Benchpresser

• Minion
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2014, 04:05:10 PM »
Too many to count... but one up there was Electric melee on my Stalker.  Nothing was more satisfying than LRing into a mob then while STILL HIDDEN hitting Thunderstrike.....BOOM!!!!  ..Placate.. Repeat!

Myrmydon

• Minion
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 04:38:16 AM »
Willpower all the way.

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »
Martial Arts.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 01:52:53 PM »
Too many to count... but one up there was Electric melee on my Stalker.  Nothing was more satisfying than LRing into a mob then while STILL HIDDEN hitting Thunderstrike.....BOOM!!!!  ..Placate.. Repeat!
Hell yeah!

My Elec Stalker had Ninjitsu, so he had a second option for Placating as well.  Very fun character.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 01:55:54 PM »
You cannot as an altaholic his/her ONE favorite power set. WE DONT HAVE ONE. that's why we are altaholics.

This...

Tinybolt

• Underling
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2014, 12:04:24 AM »
Storm summoning, hands down, 10000% favorite. I consistently try to remake it in every game I've played since and nothing comes close.

Though water blast WAS a lot of fun towards the end. As was dark blast (I came to it late). Tentacles and whirlpools oh my.  ;D

Steelhelm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2014, 12:21:44 AM »
It's hard for me to pick only one powerset out of all of them which is my favorite, but I think Willpower is really close to that number one spot. It was, and still is, one of the best defensive(Is that you call powersets like Willpower?) power sets, I must have made half a dozen characters with Willpower.

As for offensive powersets:
Melee DPS: Kinetic Melee; mainly because I thought it was one of the best looking powersets out there. I think I used to dislike the sound of it however, but unfortunately it has been too long and I have forgotten what it sounded like.
Ranged DPS: Dual Pistols, definitely. It had incredible animations, even though they sometimes were a bit long(I believe that they were shortening them a bit for better DPS in I24). The damage was good in my opinion. I can't really recall how good unfortunately. If the game comes back, I'll be glad to finally remember and relive all the things I've forgotten.
Crowd Control: It is a tough choice between Mind and Illusion control. I liked them both almost equally, but I think Illusion would be my favorite crowd control set because of the pets. Phantom Army is, and most likely always will be, one of my favorite powers of CoH.
Support: I never really played support characters, I stuck to tanks mainly and dps characters, but I have always appreciated players who used Empathy. It was such a great powerset, and the people who used it usually did their best to keep the entire team alive.