Author Topic: If we start with no user data  (Read 103813 times)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: If we start with no user data
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 09:35:12 AM »
I like the second and the third suggestion, especially the second one. I would buy that starter pack in a second. :P However, I believe that not many of us would mind having to level up all our characters to 50. We did it once(and possibly A LOT more than once), we can do it again.
That's 8 years of playing for my lvl 50s.   :o   "Do it again" is a pretty tall order.

The Sentinel files hopefully can be used to restore our old characters.

I like the 2xXP idea since anyone who doesn't want it has the option to opt out.   Options are always best.

fearalice

• Underling
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 12:36:41 PM »
Open all veteran rewards to everone, and open the VT's. Reasons:

The VT's are not stronger in any way than the other AT's. And rightly so. But blocking them off is pointless. They behave differently, but not in some way that would require someone to go through 50 levels of some other class before they could figure this one out.

As for the vet rewards, exclusivity is bad, mmkay? I understand game companies want to reward people for sticking with a game for a long time, but all it really does is give people either envy of not having something others do simply for the reason that they knew about and played the game longer (and with rewards up in the 3 year range sometimes unattainable) or give others something to lord over everyone else in a "look what i have and you don't" sort of way. That adds nothing to the game. Making someone feel good simply for having something others don't isn't a good reason. Veteran rewards aren't earned. Not really. They are just accumulated.

Ectomy

• Underling
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 01:10:54 PM »
Love the double exp loot idea. Could restock market quickly that way cheaply as well. So excited.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 01:31:51 PM »
 I cant tell you whats fair for the new owners...

I can tell you what I would like.. Account restoration if possible.. If not possible at the outset then possibly it can be made available thereafter.

I can tell you that I would be willing to pay a fee of $50-$75 dollars to make that happen. And for me right now $50-$75 is A LOT of money...

I have all my Sentinel Plus files with can be used to validate that information.

I would like all the character slots unlocked.

I would like all my veteran rewards...

I FULLY realize this has nothing to do with the potential new owners.. They didnt shut the game down. Its not their fault..

The most important thing is getting the game back.. clearly.. without question...

Would I start over from scratch if that was the ONLY option given.. sure.. if I was starving and someone gave me okra which I cant stand.. I would eat them because I was starving.. However if you gave me a choice of that and some thing else I would eat anything else other than okra.

Now that being said My hope is that there is a way that can be worked out for long term veterans and people that invested a ton of time and energy to recoup what they lost. Is that the fault of the new ownership.. absolutely not.. should they have a gun pointed to their heads.. again absolutely not...

should they consider some options.. including continuing to negotiate with NC Soft AFTER the game is purchased for account data... yes they should..

should they consider a way they could be using Sentinel Plus data.. yes they should..

should they consider the possibility of charging a fee (which they very well might have to) for the retrieval of account data.. yes they should..

They should consider ALL options and find out what works best for them and the community at large..

Its just how I feel... they will have to understand that many in the community will feel this way.. City of Heroes isnt just the City.. and the IP and the resources.. what made it is the community AND the identities within that community and that is our characters..

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:12:36 PM by HEATSTROKE »

InOnePiece

• Minion
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 02:39:35 PM »
I second heatstroke. I understand customer data may not be available day 1 and I'd have no problem paying $50 to get that info back, or be in a priority line for it. Just to help get the game going. But if I have to start completely over, I will.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 02:48:26 PM »
Start fresh if there is no way to restore accounts as it will truly be the only equitable solution.

Sentinel data is just an xml file that can be easily hacked and abused if used for anything other than loading costume and power customization.
Giving people or some people level 50s can destabilize the economy from the start, although surely some will powerlevel straight there, so let them.
Emphasize the micro in microtransactions -- make 25cent and 50 cent purchasable inspirations/powerups and keep most pricing down in the ~$1 area and income will come in handily enough, especially from powerlevelers.  Make respecs, server transfers, and renaming $5 so they're accessible and people will travel around -- use impulse buy pricing. ( ' :
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 03:11:25 PM »

If we start from scratch, I'd probably make new account(s) with different usernames from my old ones just in case they do eventually manage to get the data and a way to retrieve it.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 03:27:59 PM »
Start fresh if there is no way to restore accounts as it will truly be the only equitable solution.

Sentinel data is just an xml file that can be easily hacked and abused if used for anything other than loading costume and power customization.
Giving people or some people level 50s can destabilize the economy from the start, although surely some will powerlevel straight there, so let them.
Emphasize the micro in microtransactions -- make 25cent and 50 cent purchasable inspirations/powerups and keep most pricing down in the ~$1 area and income will come in handily enough, especially from powerlevelers.  Make respecs, server transfers, and renaming $5 so they're accessible and people will travel around -- use impulse buy pricing. ( ' :

Im not even sure there will be an economy from the start.. as I understand it they utilized an outside company for the paragon market..

I agree that lower cost impulse pricing should be implemented..  Paragon Points should still be utilized..

I had a serious weakness for the Super Packs..

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 04:25:09 PM »
Personally, I could live with starting all over. Happy to do so.

BUT

I had over 72 paid character slots across two paid accounts. I had every costume pack, every costume set and every veteran power across both accounts.

I think there has to be some way to get those back. I have every email showing my purchases.

If it is the only way, base game nothing else of course I'll play, happily. But there should be some inexpensive way to get at least some of that back. A starter pack, a fee to restore old accounts, whatever. My first priority is the costume packs, then vet powers and then slots.

Plus, we'll need lots more slots than 12 if they reduce the server numbers. I had characters on every server. easily over 100 total.

Don't like the idea of a free 50, so I would pass on that.

Double XP for a week when it comes back, ok.

EATS and VEATS, yes of course. You could get them as FTP player from the beginning if you payed. (at least I think so).

AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2014, 06:28:07 PM »
If I have to start completely over from scratch, it would be worth it just to have Coh/cov back.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2014, 06:55:24 PM »
I would say let everyone start with the premium at's like controller and mastermind. I would also say give everyone 10 character slots, because some people would buy more slots, I know I would. everything else I agree with what you said :)
sorry I misread the question, I would go with option 2 and 3, for option 2 I would also add 500 k inf a one time buy to help everyone get off the ground, this would also not cause a imbalance in the market do to everyone starting fresh.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »

I'm sure that's true....

...But how big a problem could that possibly be?

First you have to start with the relatively small group of people interested in playing CoH in the first place.

Now...reduce that number down again to people who know about the Sentinel files.

Now...reduce that number down again to people who would know how to hack into them.

Now...reduce that number down again to people who would want to hack into them.

We are talking about a vanishingly small number of people here.   Hardly seems logical to deny the use of something that useful for such a small benefit.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2014, 10:09:39 PM »
I'm sure that's true....

...But how big a problem could that possibly be?

First you have to start with the relatively small group of people interested in playing CoH in the first place.

Now...reduce that number down again to people who know about the Sentinel files.

Now...reduce that number down again to people who would know how to hack into them.

Now...reduce that number down again to people who would want to hack into them.

We are talking about a vanishingly small number of people here.   Hardly seems logical to deny the use of something that useful for such a small benefit.

I agree.. the number of people that would actually do this is small..

But the question is can the data even be utilized.. for me its not just the level 50's.. Its all the stuff they had on them.

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2014, 10:30:03 PM »
I'd certainly like it if there was a way to have my characters back, especially the builds that took ages to put together and all the bits and pieces I scrounged from Superpacks. But the main thing is getting the game back and I'd be happy with that.

I don't know what model any potential new owners are looking at, but I think something where options 2 & 3 are enabled for any paying subscribers would make sense (and maybe with the unlocks purchasable in store for free players).

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2014, 01:14:52 AM »
Don't the Sentinel exports contain a checksum of some kind? Then the only real way to hack them would be... well, to be Sentinel+'s developer to begin with.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Tyrannical

• Minion
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2014, 01:36:34 AM »
It would be nice to have all the veteran rewards from the get-go. That includes all the T9 costume packs that would be inaccessible by now, right? it'd also mean we can implement a new veteran system.

The single level 50 idea? in the long run doesn't seem as much of an impacting choice as the others, you get one 50, but you can always reach 50 anyway, veteran awards were harder to obtain than a single 50 by far. And starting out with all the AT's? VIP's get Controller and MM anyway, and getting V/EATS isn't tough, it got lowered to level 20. So out of all the options, Veteran Awards sounds more tempting.

perhaps the possibility of a 'Veterans Pack',  in which you can get access to all the old veteran awards (which actually include all the AT's as it is I think), 3 Purchasable Powersets, and perhaps 5 Costume Packs? Then the Celestial/Fire & Ice/Mecha outfits aren't lost forever, and we can rebuild our main characters from the selection of items we choose.

What do you guys think? it doesn't strictly mean paying for all your things again, but it'd mean you can have access to a selection of your prioritized account items, and help fund the game a little too.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:56:01 AM by Tyrannical »

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2014, 02:13:50 AM »
If I'm remembering right, IO recipes would sell for fairly good money even to the vendors (more so than SOs). As long as Inventions are still going to be in the game, I'd think it'd be fairly plausible to earn at least enough cash to get outfitted with SOs or Generic IOs wiithout too too much trouble...

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2014, 04:41:30 AM »
If I have to start completely over from scratch, it would be worth it just to have Coh/cov back.

Amen to that!
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

okami

• Minion
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2014, 05:32:15 AM »
I wouldn't mind leveling up again, my main concern would be having all the costumes and ATs available. If there was a reasonably priced pack to unlock them all that'd be acceptable.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2014, 06:54:37 AM »
If for whatever reason the game is unable to start without the previous user data, I would be fine with that. Right now, we have no game at all. I'd rather have a game I have to start over from scratch with than that.