Author Topic: What made City of Heroes unique for you?  (Read 22657 times)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
What made City of Heroes unique for you?
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:50:12 PM »
I knew an MMORPG that:
1.   Had over eight years' worth of content and updates
2.   Was the first, and still the most popular, MMORPG of its genre
3.   Didn’t limit you to only playing one realm per server
4.   Never went through a server merge
5.   * Had 14 different classes from which to choose
6.   * Gave you access to 192 characters slots right out of the box, with the option to quadruple that amount
7.   * Had over 1200 different ability set combinations for each of those 768 potential character slots at character creation, with nearly 3 billion total different combinations available
8.   Allowed each character to have three different builds, enabling even more customization of ability sets
9.   Let you customize the visual effects of your abilities, completely independently from their effectiveness
10.   Let you preview your abilities during character creation and costume modification
11.   Didn't affect your character's abilities by simply wearing different clothes that didn't match thematically
12.   Decoupled your character's appearance from its abilities, providing complete creative freedom during the character creation process
13.   * Had literally trillions of costume combinations available right out of the box, with hundreds more costume pieces you could earn, unlock, craft, or purchase, making over 4.5 quindecillion (4.5 x 1048) total combinations per costume
14.   * Allowed each character to have up to 10 different costumes/appearances that you could switch to at any time, even during combat
15.   Allowed you to write publicly-viewable bios/backgrounds for your characters
16.   Allowed you to create an actual evil character rather than one who was simply opposed to another in-game faction/alignment/race
17.   * Allowed you to change your character’s alignment from "good" to "evil" and back again, or stop at multiple points in-between
18.   * Gave you special abilities that were only available to your character's current alignment
19.   Didn't base your character's advancement on gear that could break, get lost, need repairing, or be stolen
20.   Didn't involve politics or endless rolls for loot distribution – all drops were 100% random for every member of your party and dropped instantly directly to your character, privately
21.   * Had a cross-server auction house with complete anonymity between buyers and sellers, and opacity of selling and asking prices
22.   * Allowed you to obtain any drop you wanted or needed through the market or through regular play within a reasonable amount of time
23.   Allowed you to convert unwanted drops into something useable for your character
24.   Allowed you to save up in-game rewards to be able to purchase specific drops without having to use the market system at all
25.   Didn't require membership in a guild to participate in any specific content
26.   * Allowed you to build massive guild houses with medical, crafting, storage, and transportation facilities
27.   * Allowed you to bring guests into your guild house to visit and look around
28.   * Had 20 different methods of transiting between game zones, including across realms, resulting in some of the fastest play and travel times of any MMORPG
29.   Didn't force travel along explicitly-defined paths as a time sink for traveling between quests and their NPCs
30.   Gave you the ability to call quest NPCs directly rather than having to return to them upon completion, or for obtaining your next quest
31.   Gave you your own travel abilities instead of using super-expensive mounts – or offered one for purchase cheaply at level one if you didn't want to take an ability
32.   Was the first MMORPG to allow your character to be capable of fully unrestricted and untimed flight, without gliding or using mounts
33.   Allowed your character to fall from any height without dying or swim in any water without drowning
34.   Didn't place unrealistic restrictions on your character’s movement around terrain in game zones – "You want to climb that hill over there that you’d be able to in real life? Sure, go ahead!"
35.   Didn't have XP loss or make you run back to your body when you died
36.   Used a system of XP debt that was paid back after death, but still allowed for level progression
37.   Left your characters with all their stuff when you logged back in – nothing decayed
38.   Had over 30 different types of in-game locations (i.e., auction houses, hospitals, arenas, transportation hubs) where characters could earn temporary buffs simply by being logged out for a period of time
39.   Granted temporary abilities based on being logged out in specific combinations of those locations over time
40.   Didn't require spawn camping for specific kills/objectives – quests were your own private instances for you and your party
41.   Didn't automatically force you to group with other players simply because of where you were or what you were doing
42.   Didn't require you to "gather ten of those plants to make a good soup" or "kill five of those creatures to protect my herd" – 99% of quests were combat-oriented "go punch somebody in the face"
43.   Used actual opening and closing doors for quest instances, providing more realistic immersion in the game world
44.   *Had a crafting system that anyone could use without grinding raids
45.   Didn't penalize your character's advancement or participation in content for not using that crafting system
46.   Always gave you entirely new abilities when you leveled up, rather than just more powerful versions of old ones
47.   Scaled your abilities' effectiveness as you leveled up, making them just as useful at max level as at level one
48.   Allowed you to enhance specific characteristics of your abilities (i.e., damage, accuracy, endurance/mana cost, cooldown time, range, buff/de-buff strength), either with or without using the crafting system
49.   Provided multiple opportunities to re-specify your character's abilities and enhancements, without spending any real money
50.   Had complete transparency of your abilities' stats and costs so you could see exactly what they did and what you wanted to enhance as you leveled up
51.   Didn't require your character's build to be min/maxed to be effective, though you could do it to your heart's desire if you chose to
52.   *Had over 140 levels of content across three different realms that could be soloed at will by anyone willing to do so
53.   Allowed free accounts to play characters up to the max level 50
54.   Enabled players to find level-appropriate content with a single click, thus eliminating XP "dead zones"
55.   *Gave players the option to travel freely to other realms to experience content on a non-PvP basis
56.   Had PvP content but didn’t require you to participate in it to advance your character
57.   Had compelling stories and quests to encourage players to enjoy the journey to the level cap – the game didn't "Start at Level X"
58.   Allowed you to "flashback" and re-play lower-level content that you might have missed, with full XP credit
59.   Allowed you to customize that "flashback" system with various handicaps for a greater challenge
60.   Didn't have an ever-increasing level cap that invalidated or made obsolete lower-level characters, content, and equipment
61.   Allowed you to create 8-person parties for basic quests and multi-quest "dungeons," or up to 48-person leagues for larger group content like trials and raids
62.   Allowed you to group with anyone for most content, regardless of their level, and still earn XP credit
63.   Allowed you to group with players of opposing alignments for cooperative content
64.   Had an arena system with 15 customizable event types, from basic one-on-one duels to massive guild rumbles with up to 280 players
65.   Didn't require the "Holy Trinity" (Tank/Healer/DPS) for party composition – any combination of characters was viable for virtually all content
66.   Used Buffing and De-buffing support characters as "force multipliers," making your party much more powerful than you would have been without them
67.   Had support classes with some of the strongest controls available in any MMORPG, allowing players to completely lock down even boss-level mobs
68.   Had a Pet/Summoning class which could have buffs, de-buffs, healing, and damage all rolled into one fully-controllable "Army of Seven"
69.   Allowed you to customize quests to be easier for the solo player, or as difficult as being in a full party by yourself
70.   Let you call fighting 10-on-1 a fair fight, where you were the 1
71.   Had a power-to-level-difference ratio such that your character couldn’t still be defeated by a mob five levels below you
72.   Automatically scaled mob groups and ranks based on party size so quests weren’t pointlessly easy or insanely hard
73.   Had multiple tiers of consumable buffs/potions (obtainable as drops or purchased from NPCs or the market) that increased your health, endurance/mana, accuracy, damage output, damage resistance, defense, or protection from status effects, or rezzed your character from defeat
74.   Also had some consumables that affected multiple attributes simultaneously, or applied party-wide buffs
75.   Allowed you to combine unwanted consumables into a specific one you needed
76.   Didn't restrict consumable use to being in a resting or non-combat state
77.   Didn't restrict repeated consumable use to a pre-defined interval
78.   Allowed stacking use of consumables (either the same one or different ones) that could turn your character into a nigh-indestructible damage-dealing god for a short time
79.   Would auto-rez your character if you leveled up while defeated on the battlefield, while also applying all top-tier consumable buffs simultaneously
80.   * Had a highly-customizable quest creator system that allowed any player to make their own quests of whatever difficulty they wanted
81.   * Had tens of thousands of solo-friendly quests made by other players up and available to play
82.   * Had an end-game system that could be used by solo players
83.   Allowed you to pause multi-quest "dungeons" to finish later at your party's convenience
84.   * Had over 50 "dungeons," trials, and raids, ranging from level 1 to 50, and beyond
85.   Provided a queuing system for those "dungeons," trials, and raids that could be accessed and teleported to from anywhere on the server
86.   * Had nearly 1400 in-game achievements you could earn, the earliest of which pre-dated the Xbox Live Achievement system by over a year
87.   Had a wide variety of rewards for earning some achievements, including permanent bonuses, temporary abilities, unique costume pieces, expanded storage capacity, or access to exclusive game content
88.   * Had over 450 chat line commands that allowed you to do things such as interact with other players, change the UI, or activate powers
89.   Allowed you to combine those chat line commands into powerful key-binds or one-click macros, providing an unparalleled system for customizing your game experience
90.   * Had over 250 emotes your character could perform, including when switching costumes/appearance
91.   Had a demo recording function that allowed you to record in-game activities, or edited to create your own off-line machinima productions
92.   Allowed you to save/load costumes, preferences, and UI customizations for use on other characters
93.   * Had global chat abilities that allowed you to talk to other players on other servers, regardless of the character names or realms on which they were playing
94.   Allowed you to create your own and/or belong to up to 15 global chat channels
95.   Had both local server and global friends lists, as well as a global ignore list for spammers or offensive players
96.   Allowed you to take in-game notes and assign ratings on players that would be visible to you regardless of their current character
97.   Had multiple levels of publicly hiding yourself from other players, allowing your gameplay to be as social or as private as you chose
98.   Had developers who actually played the game, and who would occasionally log in as signature lore-based NPCs and roleplay them on the live servers
99.   Would frequently have features added to the game that were specifically requested by players and implemented by the development team
100.   Let you fight time-traveling alien Nazis with giant robots in Ancient Rome (yes, really)
101.   Had one of the friendliest, most mature, and most helpful communities of any MMORPG yet to exist

Does it sound too good to be true for all these features to have been in a single game?

It wasn't. It was called "City of Heroes."

* Feature required micro-transaction purchase and/or active subscription to fully access.
** All features listed here were included naturally with the game and did not require any third-party add-ons to access.

[Edit: Restored list that was blanked out at some point.]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 05:16:29 AM by Blondeshell »

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
Re: What made City of Heroes unique for you?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 11:58:55 PM »
The gritty art style, the slightly retro sound effects, and the near unparallelled potential for creativity. Although I still wish we could have gotten pet customization for masterminds.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 05:20:53 AM »
The PUGS or pick up groups were usually great.  What a user community.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:12:02 AM »
I loved the setting and the story :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:48:30 PM »
It had an atmosphere that I haven't really found anywhere else. A lighter mood that could get serious at times, but it never took itself too seriously. And that's a big thing with me - I've found that a lot of MMOs, like movies, tv shows and books nowadays, get caught up in their own importance, and when that happens it loses something for me.

As you said, the fact that it was solo friendly was a huge thing for me. I said this in another thread, but I'll reiterate here: I never HAD to team. It left the choice up to me, which made me more inclined to WANT to team.

The music was lovely; simple, short, never overbearing.

It had sound effects. I loved to just stop and listen to the city sounds. They really did well with that.

The devs were active, and they respected a community that respected them. Also a wonderful community.

I really FELT like a hero when I was playing. It was awesome.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 04:57:13 PM »
Logging into any of my characters, and no matter what, each one was different than the other, if only one powerset choice was different.

Going Dynasty Warriors on a room full of people.

Warshades, Literally never played a class even remotely like it in any game ever, it was so fun.

Mastermind, Now -that- is a pet class.

The non-cartoony artstyle (I can't stand champion's design, it's too goddamn goofy.)

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 05:55:08 PM »
You could not only make global chat channels, but you could administer them, including making them private, blocking people from them, silencing people who made trouble, sharing administration workload with others, and so on. Your community could be as open and free-wheeling or as tight and controlled as you wanted or needed it to be.

Whereas most of today's MMO's have railroad-straight leveling arcs to the max level; you could play the game through many times on different themed sets of contacts and story arcs.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 07:38:07 PM »
Thank you so much, I'd been looking for this list for a while :)

Having access to so many slots on one server, the options of travel powers combine with pools and temps meant I could roll a second toon with the same primary and secondary but still have a completely different experience.  Then when multiple build became available it was like I doubled my number of characters!
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 08:37:41 PM »
The character creator was my favorite thing from CoH/V. I liked thinking up or being inspired by a character concept and then being able to create and play that character concept.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 08:55:15 PM »
86b - Had Developers on hand 24/7 who you could request to log in and fix a bugged mission/TF/SF/Trial so you and/or your team wouldn't lose hours and hours of progress.

Maybe it's not worded perfectly but usually their response time was astounding.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 09:42:31 PM »
1.) Lore/Theme of the game (everything from the Freedom Phalanx to the back story of Paragon City and all it's zones - loved it all)
2.) Character creator and power sets (never would you find any two heroes/villains whom were completely similar)
3.) System of game play (you could solo if you wanted, or find a team just as easily)
4.) The community of players (Virtue 4lyfe)

*tears*  :'(
Viva la Virtue!

zuaros

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 10:23:11 PM »
I loved the ragdoll knockback. You guys fiddle with hold duration if you like, but I'll punch that Freak across the room when he gets near me, or threatens my friend. Twas very action-movie.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 10:59:04 PM »
The things I liked the most about City of Heroes.

1. I could play MY way, I could solo if I wanted to, I could team if I wanted to. I could drop the difficulty down if I wanted to or turn it up if I wanted to. I could street sweep if I wanted to or do missions if I wanted to.

2.I felt like my characters where really mine. I made them from scratch, I choose every detail about them. Their name, their clothes, their origin, their powers. How their powers looked and some times how they animated.

3.I felt like I was really a super heroe, walking into a room of +4x8 mobs and being able to beat them solo. Who wouldn't feel powerful after that?

4. No Holy Trinity, I liked that I didn't have to worry about wither or not my character. Fit into the Tank/DPS/Healer mold. My character (as with the case of my bots/dark MM) could be alittle of both. He could tank (I took taunt in a power pool), DPS (with his bots), heal and do alittle crowd control too.

5. They had more than one pet class and they kinda scaled if you think about it. Doms and controllers for the people that wanted pets but didn't want to micro manage them. THEN MASTER MINDS (my favorite), you could micro manage as much or as little as you wanted with them. Master minds in my oppion should be the stander for all pet classes for all MMOs ever. You had as much control over your pets as you wanted.

6. The gear grind (or in this case IO grind), you didn't need them. You could play your character (before incarnates, which you didn't even have to become an incarnate) with out IO sets forever. So you could choose how much or how little you would grind for IOs.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 05:22:37 PM »
The whole design of it was great - I've been in the game since 2004 and the few months were good but after a while it felt like a real city. I was able to stop looking at the maps all the time to figure out where to go, or the shortcuts to get around.

Plus as someone said it was all original stuff, so it felt new and fresh.

In fact COH was the first and only MMO I played until it closed - then I tried Champions and DCU.

Champions is more like COH than DCU, since it was the same developers, and I think DCU is a little more polished, but neither can hold Stateman's jockstrap when it comes to core gameplay or team dynamics of COH.

I could log into COH and stay on for 5 or 6 hours, or more. with the other games I get bored after 1 or 2 hours and log off.

Plus after I got a few good level 50's, it was fun to help low people with stuff or just chat with them or I used to give them influence or things to sell just to help them out.

I was actually sad and cried a little when I read they were shutting down, I just couldn't believe it - after 8 years COH would be no more.

At least with the ICON shell, I can do into the zones and at least see them again and appreciate all the work that went into the design.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 07:56:07 PM »
Another thing to add.

The developers knew exactly how to develop the game for the fans, rather than for themselves.

It's really hard for me to articulate this effectively, but anyone who was there for the first year, then stuck with it for the longest times (Excluding some breaks) knows -exactly- what i'm talking about

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »
Another thing to add.

The developers knew exactly how to develop the game for the fans, rather than for themselves.

It's really hard for me to articulate this effectively, but anyone who was there for the first year, then stuck with it for the longest times (Excluding some breaks) knows -exactly- what i'm talking about

The only 'sort of' complaint I have is towards the end I feel they made it too easy and friendly to get around the zones or get things done. I loved when Founders could only be accessed from Talos or if you wanted to go from the Yellow Line to the Green Line you actually had to go to the other station.

Or making just about every trainer also a tailor. Part of the lowbie fun was getting that extra costume slot at 10 and trying to get to Icon in Steel, or sometimes easier - from Kings Row to the Icon in IP.

Still - I would have it all back in a heartbeat if I could.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 06:43:31 AM »
I really liked the pants are optional policy.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 07:01:05 AM »
I really liked the pants are optional policy.
I take it you didn't play on triumph where pants were never an option :P

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 05:12:37 PM »
When I logged into the game for the first time, I heard the Atlas park theme music and saw people flying, jumping and teleporting.

I saw every type of creature from robot to leather clad alien dominatrix. This is where diversity lived. It is where you were a hero most noble or a villain most base.

The game fed the soul.

I had a rule in the game - never back down, ever. I gave up a grand total of once in 8 years on a mission. It was in the reactor room of the Respec Trials when they first came out and were horribly bugged. We faced Freakshow tanks that were +6 to us. We could not even get to the reactor and one by one the rest left until only 3 of us were trying. We got to the doorway to the reactor and a Freaktank wiped all of us out almost instantly, we quit as well.

I find nothing that comes close in any other game to feeling like a hero.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 01:18:34 AM »
I remember the excitement of getting my first hero to level 6 so I could hover and just was in love with the game at that point slowly floating around or up to rooftops.

I feel lucky being there from almost the beginning, being able to see all the changes and improvements over the 8 years.

When I started there was no Hollows or even a PI yet. No tailor to change anything once you created a hero.
I had just gotten a new PC that year and bought Freedom Force. Then I saw adverts for COH in comic books and game magazines but didn't think anything of it - I never touched an MMO and never would.

Then one day in CompUSA I saw this and thought I would give it a try after all. And 8 years later I was still there.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 02:47:40 AM »
It was a game that allowed me to recreate my favorite pen and paper heroes from my childhood..

and I could fly..

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 02:07:42 AM »
The versatility. Like with Blasters you could have full-out damage with a power like Fire Blast or you could have some debuffs like Ice Blast. Just made playstyles diverse and was interesting to see how some people spec'd their toons.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 12:27:19 AM »
Earning a cape.
I was so proud when I did that the first time.
What a Noob, right?
Anyway, the little accomplishments in the game like earning a cape, completing a task force or gaining an accolade made the game more interesting than just getting to 50.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 02:38:52 AM »
Earning a cape.
I was so proud when I did that the first time.
What a Noob, right?
Anyway, the little accomplishments in the game like earning a cape, completing a task force or gaining an accolade made the game more interesting than just getting to 50.

I remember getting my first 50 to unlock the Kheldians or whatever they were called. Then years later they wussed out and dropped the earning level to 20.

And getting my first cape was a big deal too.

That's why I didn't like so much some of the later changes as it made earning levels or perks way too easy.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
Something else, I liked that XP/inf/prestige was divided up between players based on damage inflicted, and influenced the random salvage drops.

Cut down on the kill stealers significantly.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 02:06:37 PM »
Something else, I liked that XP/inf/prestige was divided up between players based on damage inflicted, and influenced the random salvage drops.

Cut down on the kill stealers significantly.

Oh don't get me started. Once I was playing my new kinetic and I was like level 5 or 6 or something. Anyway I was just following and helping a level 1 by using power transfer to boost him up and then I get a tell "Stop kill stealing from me!"

I didn't want to bother to take the time to explain to him what I was doing and how I was getting nothing from it but I just took off and left. They I saw him get killed and laughed a little.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 11:25:54 PM »
The things I liked the most about City of Heroes.

1. I could play MY way, I could solo if I wanted to, I could team if I wanted to. I could drop the difficulty down if I wanted to or turn it up if I wanted to. I could street sweep if I wanted to or do missions if I wanted to.

2.I felt like my characters where really mine. I made them from scratch, I choose every detail about them. Their name, their clothes, their origin, their powers. How their powers looked and some times how they animated.

3.I felt like I was really a super heroe, walking into a room of +4x8 mobs and being able to beat them solo. Who wouldn't feel powerful after that?

4. No Holy Trinity, I liked that I didn't have to worry about wither or not my character. Fit into the Tank/DPS/Healer mold. My character (as with the case of my bots/dark MM) could be alittle of both. He could tank (I took taunt in a power pool), DPS (with his bots), heal and do alittle crowd control too.

5. They had more than one pet class and they kinda scaled if you think about it. Doms and controllers for the people that wanted pets but didn't want to micro manage them. THEN MASTER MINDS (my favorite), you could micro manage as much or as little as you wanted with them. Master minds in my oppion should be the stander for all pet classes for all MMOs ever. You had as much control over your pets as you wanted.

6. The gear grind (or in this case IO grind), you didn't need them. You could play your character (before incarnates, which you didn't even have to become an incarnate) with out IO sets forever. So you could choose how much or how little you would grind for IOs.

Pretty much all this.

I liked that I actually felt like a hero. I liked that in the beginning I was hero without a clue beating up lowly street gangs, and in the end I was a hero at the top of his game fighting threats on a galactic reality-altering level. No other hero game has given me that level of satisfaction.

No other MMO for that matter.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 05:28:57 AM »
Pretty much all this.

I liked that I actually felt like a hero. I liked that in the beginning I was hero without a clue beating up lowly street gangs, and in the end I was a hero at the top of his game fighting threats on a galactic reality-altering level. No other hero game has given me that level of satisfaction.

No other MMO for that matter.

Still we were never as powerful as those old ladies who would never let go of their purses even after hours and hours of mobs pulling on them.

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 02:27:18 PM »
The people. The fact that the people on that game were overally,95% of my experience AWWWWSSSSOOOOMMMMEEEE> I play FF14 now. Its a decent game, will definatl know how to fight purples after playing that game, enemies take forever to die. But the community there, especially the tankers leave a lot to be desired. A lot of tankers think their god  in that game and its very annoying.

I ran into maybe 5 jerks in my 6 total years of playing ,as I took two years off after I 13-19, from beta to main game in City of Heroes.   5 jerks in 6 years vs 5 jerks every weekend  in FF14. the fact that this site exist and that their is an attempt to tr to bring the game back  shows the power of this community.  Mostly everyone I played with was fun. From my COH friends to my RL friends who played COH.  This was ,no is very much a special unique community.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2015, 02:54:40 AM »
CoH.....hmmm....... I think the 'community' was the best....met SO many people of ALL ages.

I had never enjoyed a game like this...the wonders of the game maps. CoH truly took
you to another world. It was an escape that helped me get over alcohol as well....

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 02:45:03 AM »
CoH.....hmmm....... I think the 'community' was the best....met SO many people of ALL ages.

I had never enjoyed a game like this...the wonders of the game maps. CoH truly took
you to another world. It was an escape that helped me get over alcohol as well....

What a great and inspiring post.  Thank you for sharing.  I hope that maybe one of my characters might have helped.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 04:33:37 AM »
The only thing MMOs really excel at is community. After over a decade and a half and many different games tried, CoH to my mind still had the best community of any I've played.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 02:51:43 PM »
The only thing MMOs really excel at is community. After over a decade and a half and many different games tried, CoH to my mind still had the best community of any I've played.

I always said I would never play an MMO because I heard lots of stories about bad people and nasty people and people that will take advantage of noobs.

But I tried COH anyway and have to say I found more or less the exact opposite. Yes you had a few asshats - every MMO game has those but that was like 1% of the people I ran across.

In fact early on I got invited to a SG , this was back in summer of 2004, the game was still new, and we had a blast hanging out, doing missions and TF's almost everyday. Really nice people to chat back and forth with and even joke around. And help each other level up.

Then after a few years people left for WOW and our SG fell apart and disbanded and even though I got invited to others - it was never the same as that first one I was in.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2015, 03:10:43 AM »
Super Fire Dragon.

Actually, Flying Super Wolf.
You see around about level 50, when I unlocked Khelds, I also got wings.
I stuck wings on a wolf peacebringer and was told that it was sick, and bad, and wicked.
Stupid awesome huh, great fun.

(sick, bad and wicked are actually slang terms that mean something is good)

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2015, 08:33:03 AM »
I could go all day... but a few:

unlimited personalization/customization options to tweak nearly everything just the way i liked it.  Great archetype system, and amazing powersets both primary and secondary.  I love the invention system, being able to number crunch characters until they're just where i want them to be.  Our fantastic community, always willing to help out and offer advice. SG base customization. Taskforces, Holiday events, AV's, GM's, and all of the amazing zones and their music. damn, i miss that game

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2018, 01:26:16 AM »
Necroing this topic to update the original list, now with 101 entries! With the recent WoW expansion, I've discovered several people at work who are gamers, so I thought it would be interesting to get their reactions to a game they can't play any more, and how it's different from what they're used to. The reactions so far have been positive, with some actually remembering that City of Heroes even existed.

Aer Custodis

• Underling
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2018, 12:07:01 PM »
I miss this game so much. After trying for about 5 years to replace this game in my heart, not a single game can hold a candle to City of Heroes/Villains/Going Rogue. I had Altitus Maximus in this game as with all other MMOs. but really enjoys playing Controllers and Masterminds the best.

The level of customization and world content was amazing. I don't care how the graphics are compared to other games now. Those other games were able to up the graphics by taking away the good parts that made CoH/V the best of all time in my book.

I still have a tightness in my chest when I think about the gameplay and social interaction the games allowed.

The one game that has come close to CoH/V for me is DCUO. They still don't hold a candle, but I try to get my fix by playing in their game. It barely scratches my itch, but just enough (combined with the frustration of all the things it lacks) to get me over it for a while.

Aer Custodis

• Underling
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2018, 12:14:59 PM »
Oh don't get me started. Once I was playing my new kinetic and I was like level 5 or 6 or something. Anyway I was just following and helping a level 1 by using power transfer to boost him up and then I get a tell "Stop kill stealing from me!"

I didn't want to bother to take the time to explain to him what I was doing and how I was getting nothing from it but I just took off and left. They I saw him get killed and laughed a little.

I love that. I used to do that all the time, too. I would just sit for a few hours watching newbs login under Atlas and hit them with a Kinetic buff or Personal Bubble depending on what toon I was on. It was fun to follow them for a few levels until they got their bearings. And, then I would return and do it again.

That was so much fun to do.

switch

• Bronze Age 2016
  • Minion
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 10:20:37 PM »
EVERYTHING  !!!!!    i aggree with all of u   the community was the best  before the Toxic era started in games  imo  and the 1 thing that was the best and unique to me was the power sets and combos u could do per class/archtype   cuz todays games are so limited and boring  if u choose a  tank healer dps  even u only get  like 1-3  specs builds u can run and its the same order on all of them  coh  was so special cuz of the way u could build a toon and slot it  and the odds of someone having the exact same build   or u cold skip powers u didnt want  games today you usualy end up getting them all  no matter if u ever use it or not   i loved  making  toons  of same class and everyone of them being diffrent  and played diffrent and that sort of thing   not to knock it but wow for example  u play a class u get 3-4 roles but every player of that class is the same  other then look gear ect  coh it wasnt like that  u could have 5 ppl of same build    fire kins  for example  and none of them would be slotted the exact same  no way looked the same cuz of gear transmogs ect  and odds that the person behind the toon would all play it the same  was so fun and unqiue to me   #my2cents

i miss the city every day and i miss all the friends and people i met  #loveuall

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2018, 05:35:47 PM »
1) I loved that appearance wasn't limited by archetype, role, etc. One day, I decided - just fiddling around - to make the least-tank-looking tank that I could think of. I ended up with a little blonde girl in a pink-and-white dress. Then, just for fun, I wondered what her codename would be. When "The Pink Panzer" occurred to me, and I found that it was available on that server, I couldn't delete her.

2) RADIO MISSIONS! I loved radio missions! Not only did it provide a convenient source of quick missions for short-time play, but it filled in very nicely when a toon was "between" contacts (had no contact who would provide missions).

3) I do remember ONE mission that required teaming. It was given by a Talos Island contact (or the mission door was in Talos), and two widely-separated bombs had to be disarmed simultaneously. Once they made it possible to auto-complete missions, THEN teaming wasn't required, which suited my soloing soul just fine.

4) The fact that any archetype could solo. I got a storm/electricity defender to 50 while soloing the vast majority of the way. (I couldn't resist teaming her during ToT, though. I loved using Freezing Rain for that; it just never stopped being entertaining.)

Man, I'm homesick right now.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2018, 09:16:23 PM »
I love that. I used to do that all the time, too. I would just sit for a few hours watching newbs login under Atlas and hit them with a Kinetic buff or Personal Bubble depending on what toon I was on. It was fun to follow them for a few levels until they got their bearings. And, then I would return and do it again.

That was so much fun to do.

When I had a few 50's and tons of influence and high level enhancements I would just stand around in Atlas and just give new toons lots of Influence or some SO's to sell to help them out.

This was before IO's so there wasn't a lot to spend stuff on. If I knew then I would have needed that 500,000,000 influence or whatever I gave out over the years to buy one IO - I would have kept it all LOL.

Konman444

• Underling
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2018, 08:03:54 PM »
I loved the variety of powers and the variety of customization. Depending on the mods I got I would change my powers to give me maximum ability though I played a defender and tried to keep my endurance at the point where it wouldn't deplete so I could help others. There was some thought that went into how you played and how you advanced your character.

lunawisp

• Minion
    • lunawisp - general gaming blog!
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2018, 02:19:12 PM »
I liked the idea that from level 1, you were actually effective and could go out there and start taking down the bad guys. In so many MMO's, you can barely give a rat a headache for the first half dozen levels. I always get a bad feeling about an MMO when the first ten missions are gathering twigs and fruit and hitting a few dozen insects.
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes, she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2018, 09:31:41 PM »
the tone, the fact that i didnt feel like i was playing second fiddle to any one....the villain groups were amazeing too. First time i ran into Malta i was like 'this. is. AMAZEING!' and CoX is the only game that has ever given me two things i want an MMO: a pet control class with actual numbers (mastermind) and a proper super stealthy assassin class (Stalker).
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2018, 09:38:27 PM »
What made this game so unique for me because Paragon Studios gave the players freedom. We was allowed to do whatever we want. Starting with the character customization. You can create your favorite character you've ever dreamed of with unlimited costume combinations. Then, there was the sidekick system. It was also the updates the Devs put into. For example, Issue 13: "I can double my XP just by logging out at certain locations and get rewards for it? Nice!" Issue 14: "I can create my own missions and enemies? Nice!" Issue 16: "I can change the colors of my powers and I can play with my friends no matter what level I am? Nice!" Going Rogue Expansion: "I can do both sides now? Nice!" There was always something to do like soloing, teaming, Task/Strike Forces, AE, Raids, Trials, Incarnate Trials and PvP. I was always occupied and I never got bored doing that.  :'(

Crazyleo

• Minion
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2018, 04:56:54 PM »
For me was creating my own custom background story and see it evolve as I created more characters to fit the original story