Author Topic: What made City of Heroes unique for you?  (Read 22043 times)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
Re: What made City of Heroes unique for you?
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 02:47:40 AM »
It was a game that allowed me to recreate my favorite pen and paper heroes from my childhood..

and I could fly..

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 02:07:42 AM »
The versatility. Like with Blasters you could have full-out damage with a power like Fire Blast or you could have some debuffs like Ice Blast. Just made playstyles diverse and was interesting to see how some people spec'd their toons.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 12:27:19 AM »
Earning a cape.
I was so proud when I did that the first time.
What a Noob, right?
Anyway, the little accomplishments in the game like earning a cape, completing a task force or gaining an accolade made the game more interesting than just getting to 50.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 02:38:52 AM »
Earning a cape.
I was so proud when I did that the first time.
What a Noob, right?
Anyway, the little accomplishments in the game like earning a cape, completing a task force or gaining an accolade made the game more interesting than just getting to 50.

I remember getting my first 50 to unlock the Kheldians or whatever they were called. Then years later they wussed out and dropped the earning level to 20.

And getting my first cape was a big deal too.

That's why I didn't like so much some of the later changes as it made earning levels or perks way too easy.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
Something else, I liked that XP/inf/prestige was divided up between players based on damage inflicted, and influenced the random salvage drops.

Cut down on the kill stealers significantly.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 02:06:37 PM »
Something else, I liked that XP/inf/prestige was divided up between players based on damage inflicted, and influenced the random salvage drops.

Cut down on the kill stealers significantly.

Oh don't get me started. Once I was playing my new kinetic and I was like level 5 or 6 or something. Anyway I was just following and helping a level 1 by using power transfer to boost him up and then I get a tell "Stop kill stealing from me!"

I didn't want to bother to take the time to explain to him what I was doing and how I was getting nothing from it but I just took off and left. They I saw him get killed and laughed a little.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 11:25:54 PM »
The things I liked the most about City of Heroes.

1. I could play MY way, I could solo if I wanted to, I could team if I wanted to. I could drop the difficulty down if I wanted to or turn it up if I wanted to. I could street sweep if I wanted to or do missions if I wanted to.

2.I felt like my characters where really mine. I made them from scratch, I choose every detail about them. Their name, their clothes, their origin, their powers. How their powers looked and some times how they animated.

3.I felt like I was really a super heroe, walking into a room of +4x8 mobs and being able to beat them solo. Who wouldn't feel powerful after that?

4. No Holy Trinity, I liked that I didn't have to worry about wither or not my character. Fit into the Tank/DPS/Healer mold. My character (as with the case of my bots/dark MM) could be alittle of both. He could tank (I took taunt in a power pool), DPS (with his bots), heal and do alittle crowd control too.

5. They had more than one pet class and they kinda scaled if you think about it. Doms and controllers for the people that wanted pets but didn't want to micro manage them. THEN MASTER MINDS (my favorite), you could micro manage as much or as little as you wanted with them. Master minds in my oppion should be the stander for all pet classes for all MMOs ever. You had as much control over your pets as you wanted.

6. The gear grind (or in this case IO grind), you didn't need them. You could play your character (before incarnates, which you didn't even have to become an incarnate) with out IO sets forever. So you could choose how much or how little you would grind for IOs.

Pretty much all this.

I liked that I actually felt like a hero. I liked that in the beginning I was hero without a clue beating up lowly street gangs, and in the end I was a hero at the top of his game fighting threats on a galactic reality-altering level. No other hero game has given me that level of satisfaction.

No other MMO for that matter.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 05:28:57 AM »
Pretty much all this.

I liked that I actually felt like a hero. I liked that in the beginning I was hero without a clue beating up lowly street gangs, and in the end I was a hero at the top of his game fighting threats on a galactic reality-altering level. No other hero game has given me that level of satisfaction.

No other MMO for that matter.

Still we were never as powerful as those old ladies who would never let go of their purses even after hours and hours of mobs pulling on them.

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 02:27:18 PM »
The people. The fact that the people on that game were overally,95% of my experience AWWWWSSSSOOOOMMMMEEEE> I play FF14 now. Its a decent game, will definatl know how to fight purples after playing that game, enemies take forever to die. But the community there, especially the tankers leave a lot to be desired. A lot of tankers think their god  in that game and its very annoying.

I ran into maybe 5 jerks in my 6 total years of playing ,as I took two years off after I 13-19, from beta to main game in City of Heroes.   5 jerks in 6 years vs 5 jerks every weekend  in FF14. the fact that this site exist and that their is an attempt to tr to bring the game back  shows the power of this community.  Mostly everyone I played with was fun. From my COH friends to my RL friends who played COH.  This was ,no is very much a special unique community.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2015, 02:54:40 AM »
CoH.....hmmm....... I think the 'community' was the best....met SO many people of ALL ages.

I had never enjoyed a game like this...the wonders of the game maps. CoH truly took
you to another world. It was an escape that helped me get over alcohol as well....

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 02:45:03 AM »
CoH.....hmmm....... I think the 'community' was the best....met SO many people of ALL ages.

I had never enjoyed a game like this...the wonders of the game maps. CoH truly took
you to another world. It was an escape that helped me get over alcohol as well....

What a great and inspiring post.  Thank you for sharing.  I hope that maybe one of my characters might have helped.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 04:33:37 AM »
The only thing MMOs really excel at is community. After over a decade and a half and many different games tried, CoH to my mind still had the best community of any I've played.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 02:51:43 PM »
The only thing MMOs really excel at is community. After over a decade and a half and many different games tried, CoH to my mind still had the best community of any I've played.

I always said I would never play an MMO because I heard lots of stories about bad people and nasty people and people that will take advantage of noobs.

But I tried COH anyway and have to say I found more or less the exact opposite. Yes you had a few asshats - every MMO game has those but that was like 1% of the people I ran across.

In fact early on I got invited to a SG , this was back in summer of 2004, the game was still new, and we had a blast hanging out, doing missions and TF's almost everyday. Really nice people to chat back and forth with and even joke around. And help each other level up.

Then after a few years people left for WOW and our SG fell apart and disbanded and even though I got invited to others - it was never the same as that first one I was in.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2015, 03:10:43 AM »
Super Fire Dragon.

Actually, Flying Super Wolf.
You see around about level 50, when I unlocked Khelds, I also got wings.
I stuck wings on a wolf peacebringer and was told that it was sick, and bad, and wicked.
Stupid awesome huh, great fun.

(sick, bad and wicked are actually slang terms that mean something is good)

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2015, 08:33:03 AM »
I could go all day... but a few:

unlimited personalization/customization options to tweak nearly everything just the way i liked it.  Great archetype system, and amazing powersets both primary and secondary.  I love the invention system, being able to number crunch characters until they're just where i want them to be.  Our fantastic community, always willing to help out and offer advice. SG base customization. Taskforces, Holiday events, AV's, GM's, and all of the amazing zones and their music. damn, i miss that game

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2018, 01:26:16 AM »
Necroing this topic to update the original list, now with 101 entries! With the recent WoW expansion, I've discovered several people at work who are gamers, so I thought it would be interesting to get their reactions to a game they can't play any more, and how it's different from what they're used to. The reactions so far have been positive, with some actually remembering that City of Heroes even existed.

Aer Custodis

• Underling
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2018, 12:07:01 PM »
I miss this game so much. After trying for about 5 years to replace this game in my heart, not a single game can hold a candle to City of Heroes/Villains/Going Rogue. I had Altitus Maximus in this game as with all other MMOs. but really enjoys playing Controllers and Masterminds the best.

The level of customization and world content was amazing. I don't care how the graphics are compared to other games now. Those other games were able to up the graphics by taking away the good parts that made CoH/V the best of all time in my book.

I still have a tightness in my chest when I think about the gameplay and social interaction the games allowed.

The one game that has come close to CoH/V for me is DCUO. They still don't hold a candle, but I try to get my fix by playing in their game. It barely scratches my itch, but just enough (combined with the frustration of all the things it lacks) to get me over it for a while.

Aer Custodis

• Underling
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2018, 12:14:59 PM »
Oh don't get me started. Once I was playing my new kinetic and I was like level 5 or 6 or something. Anyway I was just following and helping a level 1 by using power transfer to boost him up and then I get a tell "Stop kill stealing from me!"

I didn't want to bother to take the time to explain to him what I was doing and how I was getting nothing from it but I just took off and left. They I saw him get killed and laughed a little.

I love that. I used to do that all the time, too. I would just sit for a few hours watching newbs login under Atlas and hit them with a Kinetic buff or Personal Bubble depending on what toon I was on. It was fun to follow them for a few levels until they got their bearings. And, then I would return and do it again.

That was so much fun to do.

switch

• Bronze Age 2016
  • Minion
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 10:20:37 PM »
EVERYTHING  !!!!!    i aggree with all of u   the community was the best  before the Toxic era started in games  imo  and the 1 thing that was the best and unique to me was the power sets and combos u could do per class/archtype   cuz todays games are so limited and boring  if u choose a  tank healer dps  even u only get  like 1-3  specs builds u can run and its the same order on all of them  coh  was so special cuz of the way u could build a toon and slot it  and the odds of someone having the exact same build   or u cold skip powers u didnt want  games today you usualy end up getting them all  no matter if u ever use it or not   i loved  making  toons  of same class and everyone of them being diffrent  and played diffrent and that sort of thing   not to knock it but wow for example  u play a class u get 3-4 roles but every player of that class is the same  other then look gear ect  coh it wasnt like that  u could have 5 ppl of same build    fire kins  for example  and none of them would be slotted the exact same  no way looked the same cuz of gear transmogs ect  and odds that the person behind the toon would all play it the same  was so fun and unqiue to me   #my2cents

i miss the city every day and i miss all the friends and people i met  #loveuall

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2018, 05:35:47 PM »
1) I loved that appearance wasn't limited by archetype, role, etc. One day, I decided - just fiddling around - to make the least-tank-looking tank that I could think of. I ended up with a little blonde girl in a pink-and-white dress. Then, just for fun, I wondered what her codename would be. When "The Pink Panzer" occurred to me, and I found that it was available on that server, I couldn't delete her.

2) RADIO MISSIONS! I loved radio missions! Not only did it provide a convenient source of quick missions for short-time play, but it filled in very nicely when a toon was "between" contacts (had no contact who would provide missions).

3) I do remember ONE mission that required teaming. It was given by a Talos Island contact (or the mission door was in Talos), and two widely-separated bombs had to be disarmed simultaneously. Once they made it possible to auto-complete missions, THEN teaming wasn't required, which suited my soloing soul just fine.

4) The fact that any archetype could solo. I got a storm/electricity defender to 50 while soloing the vast majority of the way. (I couldn't resist teaming her during ToT, though. I loved using Freezing Rain for that; it just never stopped being entertaining.)

Man, I'm homesick right now.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.