Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7325712 times)

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #18720 on: July 18, 2015, 11:42:55 PM »
Casual metaphor is an allowance, not a prerogative.

I'm stealing this quote. Can I steal this quote?

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #18721 on: July 19, 2015, 01:07:28 AM »
Saw Ant-Man a few hours ago.  Great movie.  :)  Made me want to play City again.
While i like the general concept of size-changing powers making them work in an MMO environment seems extraordinarily challenging. ESO actually pulls it off briefly by transforming you into a small creature for one quest, but that's a very temporary event that only functions as a way to get past a barrier.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #18722 on: July 19, 2015, 03:20:12 AM »
They aren't called 'NASCARs' they are called sprint cup cars, or stock cars, or Camping world truck series trucks. Don't make me find a bag of quarters...

*shrugs* 

Not a NASCAR fan.  Give me football.  ;-)
Beware the mighty faceplant!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18723 on: July 19, 2015, 03:38:57 AM »
While i like the general concept of size-changing powers making them work in an MMO environment seems extraordinarily challenging. ESO actually pulls it off briefly by transforming you into a small creature for one quest, but that's a very temporary event that only functions as a way to get past a barrier.
Marvel Heroes put Ant Man in to coincide with the movie release. His hit box reduces in size along with his visual (they had to redo some of the smaller hidey-holes in maps because he'd get stuck where bigger heroes couldn't go). Otherwise doesn't change much in the way of functionality of the player.

It's not an MMO (more like persistent Diablo than City) but proves it's totally feasible. Just requires a little brainpower and a little coding. Also requires things to not be hard-coded, which a large amount of City was (because back in 2002 when they were writing this stuff, why would you write for things you'd never even thought of yet?)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18724 on: July 19, 2015, 04:55:50 AM »
Didn't Champions have a "Growth" mechanic for a power set? I remember making a toon that got bigger the more he was hit or the more he hit, can't remember.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #18725 on: July 19, 2015, 05:04:43 AM »
Didn't Champions have a "Growth" mechanic for a power set? I remember making a toon that got bigger the more he was hit or the more he hit, can't remember.

It has growth built in to a few powers, such as the might toggle enrage (if you choose the advantage), and a store-bought power that makes your toon larger. There's even one that can shrink you to the size of the normal model's ankle. Neverwinter uses a more advanced version of the same engine (well, more refined, tweaked and tinkered with) and you'll see many enemies grow in size during fights.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18726 on: July 19, 2015, 08:26:44 AM »
While i like the general concept of size-changing powers making them work in an MMO environment seems extraordinarily challenging.

So it would seem.

Ryo Kinsaru

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18727 on: July 19, 2015, 03:51:21 PM »

The best size change functionality in an MMO is in EQ2. It's possible to become so small as a fae/fairy that you have to know they're there to find them, or so large that people on their mounts can literally stand under you on yours. The larger size is great for tanking, it makes it easy to see where they are and which way they're facing.
I can't think of anything clever to place here as I am currently over-caffeinated on very little sleep. All the cool people have a signature, so I will drop random text here trying to fit in.

Ryo Kinsaru

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18728 on: July 19, 2015, 04:10:14 PM »
When I was much younger, we had this neighbor that was kind of annoying and we didn't like to play with much. We started playing a game with him; when he'd come around, we'd hide and pretend like we weren't home until he stopped knocking at the door. As he started to leave, we'd pop out and say "Hey, we're home!" and go back inside. He'd come back and knock and we wouldn't answer.

Looking back, it was pretty mean but it was funny at the time. I can't say what was funnier to us- that we kept doing it or that he kept coming back in spite of what would seem to be (obviously) an attempt to screw with him.

(I don't think they're doing it, and I agree with Arcana and others on their many points vis a vis corporate negotiations, particularly cross-cultural ones. I am not an alarmist and think something will happen one way or another in its due time. But after reading this post I just had this vision of the guys at NCSoft playing this game. Sitting around in their shirts and ties and saying "Yes! We'll sell to you!" then hiding and tittering madly as they refuse to answer the door until we go away.  ;D)

I had a couple of brothers in my neighborhood who used to do the sa... you bastiges!!!                         
I can't think of anything clever to place here as I am currently over-caffeinated on very little sleep. All the cool people have a signature, so I will drop random text here trying to fit in.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18729 on: July 19, 2015, 09:28:23 PM »
So it would seem.

Why do I hear an evil laugh and envision moustache twirling when I read Arcana's post?

MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18730 on: July 19, 2015, 10:20:36 PM »
Why do I hear an evil laugh and envision moustache twirling when I read Arcana's post?

MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!
Would that be a Vincent Price laugh...or a Doctor Evil laugh?
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #18731 on: July 20, 2015, 12:41:20 AM »
Marvel Heroes put Ant Man in to coincide with the movie release. His hit box reduces in size along with his visual (they had to redo some of the smaller hidey-holes in maps because he'd get stuck where bigger heroes couldn't go). Otherwise doesn't change much in the way of functionality of the player.

It's not an MMO (more like persistent Diablo than City) but proves it's totally feasible. Just requires a little brainpower and a little coding. Also requires things to not be hard-coded, which a large amount of City was (because back in 2002 when they were writing this stuff, why would you write for things you'd never even thought of yet?)
In the context of City of Heroes it would be a little weird to have an ant-sized brawler or Titan Weapon user, but i suppose it would work with a bit of animation tweaking and not changing the camera for the player to see things from an inch high perspective.

It has growth built in to a few powers, such as the might toggle enrage (if you choose the advantage), and a store-bought power that makes your toon larger. There's even one that can shrink you to the size of the normal model's ankle. Neverwinter uses a more advanced version of the same engine (well, more refined, tweaked and tinkered with) and you'll see many enemies grow in size during fights.
The main issue being that most maps are indoor and a fair number of maps have fairly small passages, which would make accommodating 20' characters difficult.

Presumably shrinking and growth would be pool powers, and possibly you could design maps and the powers to prevent characters from running down corridors less than half their height. Would enlarging a character's hit box make it so that he couldn't enter small passages and vice versa for shrinking them? i guess it's not as difficult to accommodate Ant-Man and Giant Man type characters a superhero MMO as i thought. In APR/CoH 1.5 that would be interesting to see implemented.

Edit: This only started happening somewhat recently (i use Chrome), but sometimes when i copy paste multiple quotes together it sets the font size for some of the text to effectively zero. It appears that a previously invisible /size tag appears when i post and sets the later text size to zero?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 12:49:24 AM by Nyx Nought Nothing »
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #18732 on: July 20, 2015, 01:49:21 AM »
The best size change functionality in an MMO is in EQ2. It's possible to become so small as a fae/fairy that you have to know they're there to find them, or so large that people on their mounts can literally stand under you on yours. The larger size is great for tanking, it makes it easy to see where they are and which way they're facing.

I skimmed that quickly and read it as "breast" size change instead of "best" -- thinking it was more talk about the breast sliders in CoH...
The post is rather funnier if you read it that way.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18733 on: July 20, 2015, 02:01:36 AM »
How cool would it be, though, to have a giant-sized hero fighting against the Kronos Titan, or Jurassik or the like?

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #18734 on: July 20, 2015, 02:17:43 AM »
if there was a way to select 'giant' for certain costumes i could make a mecha for my techie character heh.
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #18735 on: July 20, 2015, 03:42:22 AM »
How cool would it be, though, to have a giant-sized hero fighting against the Kronos Titan, or Jurassik or the like?
Johny Socko and his Giant Robot!!

StrokerSPC

• Underling
« Reply #18736 on: July 20, 2015, 03:52:15 AM »
Johny Socko and his Giant Robot!!

Caboose and Freckles?

Biz

• Boss
« Reply #18737 on: July 20, 2015, 12:57:56 PM »

MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!

to me it was more like this

Valtyr

• Finder of Lost CatGrrls
  • Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #18738 on: July 20, 2015, 01:57:36 PM »
Arcan - wait for it - adary. Arcanadary!

No, that doesn't make any sense.

SammiK31

• Minion
« Reply #18739 on: July 20, 2015, 03:33:54 PM »
Can someone who has no idea about the technical side of things, ask... What do we know? Are there any updates? Can someone give me a little hope? :)