Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7314733 times)

Hells Wing

• Underling
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #18820 on: July 27, 2015, 11:17:15 AM »
Playing Champions as a Tank similar to my one from CoH really makes me miss her and the game. She'd kick so much ass!

She was a Inv/SS which was a lot of fun and practically immortal with Invincibility active before they nerfed it to a max of 5. Before it was hilarious one seeing it multiplied by 10!

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18821 on: July 27, 2015, 02:15:01 PM »

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18822 on: July 27, 2015, 02:59:51 PM »

Kind of interesting. I wonder what the "other" category is for? ;)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #18823 on: July 27, 2015, 03:22:57 PM »

Im guessing what they consider over seas, like America and Europe. :) I do find this interesting though.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18824 on: July 27, 2015, 03:48:24 PM »

Forgive me, I left my magnifying glass at home and qualify for bifocals.  Can you show me the area that goes with Wildstar?

No no I kid.  Seriously, I hope those Wildstar people can keep their online home going.

Edit:  wow, is that ws number really 1/2 the prior quarter and 1/7 the size of "other?"  I need to look at this after I finish getting my eyes checked

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18825 on: July 27, 2015, 04:55:30 PM »
Im guessing what they consider over seas, like America and Europe. :) I do find this interesting though.
Well that's the thing, if you look at the left graph its broken down by region. I think the right graph is all regions combined by game.

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #18826 on: July 27, 2015, 05:44:04 PM »
I have had one issue with War Thunder having no sound on the RTM build and for the life of me I cant figure out why it works half the time. Lineage 2 wont let me login either. It thinks windows 10 is a hacking tool. The Lineage 2 issue has me concerned cause it is also an NCsoft game from the same year I think. Yes I know they are different but blah blah...

out of curiosity, is your sound onboard with an NVidia chipset?  There have been a bunch of problems with Nvidia drivers, though most are video related.  I think I just saw a new one this morning, but I didn't really pay attention.  My work machine is the only one I have running NVidia, and they apparently are not having trouble with the Quadro video cards.  :)

And for those worried about forced updates with Windows 10, it all depends on the version you are running.  The Home version will not get an option.  Professional will allow you to defer updates for a limited amount of time.  Enterprise (which I'm sure most people will not have) allows them to defer for a significant amount of time.  Home and Professional will both get all security updates whether you want them or not.  Deferring the updates only means not to add new features and general bug fixes.

There is also a tool that you can run to disable updates.  Not sure if it will work after release (it was made specifically for the tech preview), and for Home users, not sure how it would work unless your timing was just right.  The updates have to be available for you to mark them as hidden, but if they are available, your machine is going grab them.  :)

Not sure if any of that is at all useful to anyone, but I've been running it for a really long time now, and it has gotten progressively better with each build.  Like others here, it has been my daily driver for months, for my personal machine as well as my work machine.

Sermon

• Minion
« Reply #18827 on: July 27, 2015, 05:58:29 PM »
Guild Wars 1 is one "other" game I'd imagine.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18828 on: July 27, 2015, 10:00:20 PM »
out of curiosity, is your sound onboard with an NVidia chipset?  There have been a bunch of problems with Nvidia drivers, though most are video related.  I think I just saw a new one this morning, but I didn't really pay attention.  My work machine is the only one I have running NVidia, and they apparently are not having trouble with the Quadro video cards.  :)

And for those worried about forced updates with Windows 10, it all depends on the version you are running.  The Home version will not get an option.  Professional will allow you to defer updates for a limited amount of time.  Enterprise (which I'm sure most people will not have) allows them to defer for a significant amount of time.  Home and Professional will both get all security updates whether you want them or not.  Deferring the updates only means not to add new features and general bug fixes.

There is also a tool that you can run to disable updates.  Not sure if it will work after release (it was made specifically for the tech preview), and for Home users, not sure how it would work unless your timing was just right.  The updates have to be available for you to mark them as hidden, but if they are available, your machine is going grab them.  :)

Not sure if any of that is at all useful to anyone, but I've been running it for a really long time now, and it has gotten progressively better with each build.  Like others here, it has been my daily driver for months, for my personal machine as well as my work machine.
I saw that. All my video stuff is working good! the 2 sound systems I tried were Realtek(onboard) and Creative(PCIe).

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18829 on: July 27, 2015, 10:01:53 PM »
Guild Wars 1 is one "other" game I'd imagine.
Maybe, but that's a lot of revenue? Why not just give it its own tab if its that much? Is NC even hosting that matenance mode?

Void Huntress

• Minion
« Reply #18830 on: July 28, 2015, 05:38:15 PM »

NCSoft has a few other titles. Jan Ryu Mon, PangYa, and some non-MMO properties.

... that so few things account for so much of the 'Others' section kind of baffles me.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18831 on: July 28, 2015, 06:35:51 PM »
Presumably shrinking and growth would be pool powers, and possibly you could design maps and the powers to prevent characters from running down corridors less than half their height. Would enlarging a character's hit box make it so that he couldn't enter small passages and vice versa for shrinking them? i guess it's not as difficult to accommodate Ant-Man and Giant Man type characters a superhero MMO as i thought. In APR/CoH 1.5 that would be interesting to see implemented.

Actually, the simple answer is 'yes' for this, and the proof for it comes from a long-standing bug in the game. Consider the various tunnel maps, where mobs are prevented by collision surfaces from getting all the way to where the floor of the tunnel meets the walls, because the walls slope inward. If a mob is knocked down, though, their collision surface orientation changes to horizontal, reducing its height, allowing the mob to be knocked 'under' the angled wall. When the mob stands up, the game doesn't check for collisions, allowing them to stand up and putting the center of their collision box on the wrong side of the wall collision surface, causing the wall to obstruct line-of-fire with single-target attacks -- the 'untargetable mob stuck in the wall' bug.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18832 on: July 28, 2015, 06:39:29 PM »
Will it? Do pictures not count as data? Because we got those pretty swiftly.

We haven't gotten anywhere near the full set of images back yet; that will take the 16 months. The bandwidth on the transmitter is very low; one of the NASA PR flacks described it as like "the world's worst dial-up connection".

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #18833 on: July 28, 2015, 07:25:43 PM »
Actually, the simple answer is 'yes' for this, and the proof for it comes from a long-standing bug in the game. Consider the various tunnel maps, where mobs are prevented by collision surfaces from getting all the way to where the floor of the tunnel meets the walls, because the walls slope inward. If a mob is knocked down, though, their collision surface orientation changes to horizontal, reducing its height, allowing the mob to be knocked 'under' the angled wall. When the mob stands up, the game doesn't check for collisions, allowing them to stand up and putting the center of their collision box on the wrong side of the wall collision surface, causing the wall to obstruct line-of-fire with single-target attacks -- the 'untargetable mob stuck in the wall' bug.

The answer to the question you quoted is actually 'no'. The player collision capsule is a fixed size. It's equivalent to a cylinder 3 units tall with a 1.5 unit radius, capped by two 1.5 unit radius half-spheres, one on each end. Imagine an upright pill capsule sitting inside a 3x6x3 box. It does not scale with the costume size. This can be easily verified by making extremely large or small costumes with database editing and noticing that it does not affect player collision at all.

Other entities default to that same size, but can be overridden in the entity type data file. It's a fixed size for that entity type regardless of how many different costumes it can wear. Most larger NPCs have a (manually) increased collision capsule size. For example, Nemesis Warhulks are set to 7x10x7, which is closer to an elongated sphere than it is to a cylinder. There are a couple of critters that have special handling for collision so that the capsules are attached to their bones instead of using a single one, but I can count those on one hand. The Avatar of Hamidon is one such example. Again, the collision is fixed and cannot change for an already spawned NPC, or even for different NPCs of that same type.

The issue with knockback you're referring to has nothing to do with normal collision at all -- entities are never actually pitched when being knocked back. Entities normally have 0 pitch except under very rare circumstances -- when flying mostly, and usually then only under player control. They just have an animation that makes it look like they're on their back, even if the pitch is still 0. Also easy to confirm in Paragon Chat using the collapse and swoon emotes.

The bug you're talking about has to do with ragdoll. When a critter (NOT a player!) is knocked back, if the magnitude is sufficient, the entity goes into ragdoll. At that point, normal collision is switched off and everything is handed over to the PhysX library*. PhysX uses the actual bones of the model and collides them with world geometry -- this is how an arm can catch on a handrail while the unfortunate critter tumbles over for instance. While in ragdoll, they can squeeze into smaller spaces due to the actual skeleton being used. Once ragdoll ends, the normal simplified capsule-based collision model kicks back in and the entity is stuck in the low-ceilinged wall they slid under.

Nonstandard code rant over. :)

* PhysX is used clientside for non-shared objects like debris, but serverside for ragdoll so that everyone saw the enemies in the same state. That they were using the same library on the server is speculation, but is a good bet because it would mean less developer effort as the same code for interfacing with it could be reused, and I'm pretty sure I remember developer comments about the servers having Aegia cards. In any event, a reimplementation would not need to use the same exact method for ragdoll, if it was even supported.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18834 on: July 28, 2015, 07:52:31 PM »
The bug you're talking about has to do with ragdoll. When a critter (NOT a player!) is knocked back, if the magnitude is sufficient, the entity goes into ragdoll. At that point, normal collision is switched off and everything is handed over to the PhysX library*. PhysX uses the actual bones of the model and collides them with world geometry -- this is how an arm can catch on a handrail while the unfortunate critter tumbles over for instance. While in ragdoll, they can squeeze into smaller spaces due to the actual skeleton being used. Once ragdoll ends, the normal simplified capsule-based collision model kicks back in and the entity is stuck in the low-ceilinged wall they slid under.

If I recall correctly, PhysX treated the model bones as basically two-dimensional, turning the entity into a sort of two-dimensional mesh floating in three-dimensional space.  Which meant ragdoll could sometimes squeeze things into almost ridiculous gaps in the geometry.  It could also do some incredibly weird things like stick something's hand into an oddity in the geometry it couldn't easily wiggle out of, trapping the critter into just hanging there indefinitely.

Eskreema

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18835 on: July 28, 2015, 11:38:22 PM »
Like knocking them into the boundary of a map like when you fight on the instances street maps like one of the Chimera fights I think, lol.  Good times, especially when the giggling didn't degenerate and they quiver till they faded or skip like a stone across the map
Global: Iron Smoke.  Boards: Kractis Sky. Server:  Champion.  Main:  Eskreema

I don't always get sucked into a jet engine and live to talk about it, but when I do I use the new ICD-10 V97.33XD code.  Because things like that need to be trended by your insurance company and your money!

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18836 on: July 29, 2015, 10:11:57 PM »
If I recall correctly, PhysX treated the model bones as basically two-dimensional, turning the entity into a sort of two-dimensional mesh floating in three-dimensional space.  Which meant ragdoll could sometimes squeeze things into almost ridiculous gaps in the geometry.  It could also do some incredibly weird things like stick something's hand into an oddity in the geometry it couldn't easily wiggle out of, trapping the critter into just hanging there indefinitely.

I remember this happening with an enemy that was fighting one of my masterminds. We called that guy "the zombie pinata".

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18837 on: July 30, 2015, 12:59:02 AM »
A windows 10 heads up - if you have auto-updates turned off it won't download in the background despite what the tray icon says. clicking check download progress will take you to updates where you can start it.

Edit - after the download it goes immediately into preparing for installation. a google search tells me i'm supposed to get an option not to upgrade immediately but i'd hold off doing the above if you don't want to install. i'll update again when i find out for sure.

Edit again - it doesn't give you a real option. it only lets you delay the upgrade a day. so unless you want to upgrade now (i did not ftl) don't let it download. if you've started the download i'd cancel it during the preparing for installation phase.

final edit - i'm now an unintentional early adopter, but it seems fine. and there's a revert option for a month in case something goes horribly wrong.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:46:21 AM by Vee »

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #18838 on: July 30, 2015, 05:57:31 AM »
NCSoft also has a MOBA coming (Master X Master) so those F2p monstrosities have been known to take money while in beta. That could be "other."I've heard.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18839 on: July 30, 2015, 06:57:10 PM »
I just want the game back  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :( :( :( :( :( :( :'( :'( :'( :'( :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: