Author Topic: Let's assume we'll be getting all of the servers back, what are you plans?  (Read 6823 times)

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
Logic would suggest that the servers are still there, I really can't see a company recycling them for any reason. When you produce a new game you typically don't recycle hardware from an old game. So I'm assuming they will be handed to the people Ironwolf is referring to and the negotiations are for other things involving that deal

So my questions for you:
Will you return to your home server? I will with the attempt to try and recreate what I had before and hope others will as well to restore as much of my home server's community as possible.
Will you attempt to rebuild your old sg? (if you were the leader) I likely will
Will you run server events like you once did? I'm itching to lead msrs again

or will you instead completely start fresh and go to a different server than you did before?

I'm going to try and pick up where I left off so my goal will be to return to Liberty no matter what. I really miss it

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
1. If at all possible. I liked Protector and Pinnacle, and, if they're available and we don't get our characters back, I plan to reconstruct as much as I can on both servers.

2. Yes, and it'll be a snap for me. My SG was for my convenience, so it only had my characters in it.

3. I didn't run server events.

Like you, I intend to get back as much of my pre-closure situation as I can.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
Yeah I don't think it is a safe assumption at all to say will get back the servers we are used to.  Second, it'd be kinda dumb IMO for them to give a population that will likely be rather small 16 servers to play on.  Maybe 3 or 4 would be more like it.  Even that might be overkill.

And I don't plan to recreate any of my past characters, I'll be making brand new ones!  Some may be reimaginings of my former characters, but I doubt any will be exact copies.  In fact, I may make it official that I will not create a character with any power set I got to 50.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
I would go back to Virtue if we got all the old servers back.  I would probably re-create my Energy/Devices blaster again most likely.  I might remake him as Wade Justice though instead of Taceus Jiwede (which is an anagram of Wade Justice, they character he was mocking on creation)

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
Whether the servers are old or no, I'll probably be focused on trying to help my wife get the SG she ran (Tesseract Castle) back in functional order on whatever server was most Virtue-like. Then it will be back to wandering without clear purpose other then general badge grinding.

If Guardians of the Golden Age reappears I may rejoin that I suppose: I did like that crowd.
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
I think if they are able to get character data, then they will likely restore all the servers, at least for a while.

Since it doesn't save any money to not have them (they are virtual servers, not physical ones) all, why not? It will avoid the problem with duplicate names at relaunch which is going ot be a problem if you merge at launch as you won't know who is active and who is not. Once the game is up i could see them merging low population servers, but by then active players will be able to prepare for the merge. Non-active accounts can be cleared to reduce the conflicts and free up names.

It will also be quicker and easy to relaunch the fewer changes you make.

If we don't get the data back, then Yeah, probably a lot less servers. I would work out a new naming scheme that way no one will feel slighted since no one will have an old server name.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Remidi

• Minion
If we get our characters back, then I'll be back home on Pinnacle.  If we have to start fresh, I'll have to discuss it with my SG mates (all four of them) to make a decision.

Benchpresser

• Minion
If we get the servers back... the only place I'll be is Liberty.  If theyaract are new servers, I'll discuss with my SG mates.  As for characters?  If we get the back great!!  I'll still prune a bunch out to make room for new Alts (especially if we get I24.... here Martial Combat.... :)  )

gypsyav

• Boss
  • Depends on if we get our characters back or not. If we do I'll be returning to Guardian to play my mains and maybe try out Virtue again since my computer is a bit more powerful than it was before. If we don't get our characters back I would have to talk it over with my friends and family who played.
  • No matter what I'll be recreating my SG. There were a lot of stories attached to my old one even though there were only 4 or 5 people in it..
  • Probably not. I never did run them and don't see myself starting.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
Logic would suggest that the servers are still there, I really can't see a company recycling them for any reason. When you produce a new game you typically don't recycle hardware from an old game. So I'm assuming they will be handed to the people Ironwolf is referring to and the negotiations are for other things involving that deal

So my questions for you:
Will you return to your home server? I will with the attempt to try and recreate what I had before and hope others will as well to restore as much of my home server's community as possible.
Will you attempt to rebuild your old sg? (if you were the leader) I likely will
Will you run server events like you once did? I'm itching to lead msrs again

or will you instead completely start fresh and go to a different server than you did before?

I'm going to try and pick up where I left off so my goal will be to return to Liberty no matter what. I really miss it

It's a high probability that those servers were virtualized on a big vm host and didn't actually have any independent hardware. There is some discussion about this in the "New Efforts!" thread ...if you dare...
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Dinah Might

• Minion
I will return to Champion.  Hopefully enough of the former community returns for me to interact with.

Quite frankly that's what CoH was about to me.  Ingame friends.

However, if Champion doesn't return to it's former glory, I might transfer to Virtue.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
YES

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
I was Pinnacle my SG was 3 people one of them a friend and I had his game login

I will be really excited to get the scrapper fourms back to it's glory where we can talk attack chains and builds and beg for taunt auras on all scrapper secondary's and some other running list of balance issues  ;D

I will run some TF's like I generally do and on we go
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:03:20 PM by hejtmane »

Metal Mountain

• Minion
Hunting Vahz in Gemini park... oh how i miss those exploding cadavers and eidelons
If a jerk hacker is found, we reverse hack-jerk. -Pohsyb

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
It's a high probability that those servers were virtualized on a big vm host and didn't actually have any independent hardware. There is some discussion about this in the "New Efforts!" thread ...if you dare...

Yes, as per Codewalker (developed Icon giving us the ability to access the client, but not the server offline). He also talked about this in a thread on Icon a while ago. Or you could take my word for it since I read all of it while it was being posted (mostly) and save your eyesight!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
I would go back to freedom, that was/is home for me
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
Never answered this but I had characters on almost every server, but Liberty was my home and had well over 70 there. I would go there, even if I was the only one on it. If paying a little extra would keep Liberty alive, I would gladly pay a "Low Pop" tax!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
I had 50s on several servers. I made Freedom my home the last 2 years I played and will probably go back there if there is a full restore.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?

I get the thing about virtual servers but isn't that just saying it might be one piece of hardware handling all the servers? I guess it seems more logical to me that coh as a whole in some part was on its own hardware not being shared by other games. Not sure how ncsoft does it but isn't that the way basically all games are hosted? That way if one game has a hardware glitch only it is affected and not all of them.

Steelhelm

• Lieutenant
I'd go back to Virtue, which became my home server a year and a half before the shutdown announcement. Now, if we have to start from scratch, I'd love to have the chance to get more names, especially for some of my favorite characters. I only had 3 good names on Virtue unfortunately, due to it being one of the most popular servers.