Author Topic: Let's assume we'll be getting all of the servers back, what are you plans?  (Read 6785 times)

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
Logic would suggest that the servers are still there, I really can't see a company recycling them for any reason. When you produce a new game you typically don't recycle hardware from an old game. So I'm assuming they will be handed to the people Ironwolf is referring to and the negotiations are for other things involving that deal

So my questions for you:
Will you return to your home server? I will with the attempt to try and recreate what I had before and hope others will as well to restore as much of my home server's community as possible.
Will you attempt to rebuild your old sg? (if you were the leader) I likely will
Will you run server events like you once did? I'm itching to lead msrs again

or will you instead completely start fresh and go to a different server than you did before?

I'm going to try and pick up where I left off so my goal will be to return to Liberty no matter what. I really miss it

I would definitely return to Victory for my solo guys, and have my team toons on a server like Freedom where there is more people.

I never really LEAD a SG. I was more of a manager and Base Designer if anything. Highest I ever got was pretty much First Lieutenant

I never really lead any events either. I started them up and because I am a TERRIBLE Trial, TF, (anything really) leader, I would get the League teams together and pass the leadership to a more experienced person.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
Favorite Server? Not sure it would be the same. I'm sure it would be a new world of players.
What's in a name?  :roll:
as long as the community is just as friendly as we've gotten to know,
I'm sure CoH will be great...

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
Will you return to your home server? Maybe, I left Defiant because it was empty but if it returned to acceptable population levels, then I'd definitely return

Will you attempt to rebuild your old sg? No, I wasn't the leader but the Sg was dead anyway. I'd start one with a website and an ingame channel for anyone interested in joining events since I'd try to make everyone I know to play the game hence this new SG would be used to help them get started.

Will you run server events like you once did? Not server events but SG events would be open to anyone who joined the SG created chat channel, no matter whether they joined the SG or not.

GamingGlen

• Boss
I mainly played on two servers, and also had characters on a few others.  I'll play where the action is.

I'd probably make my own SGs, again.  Being a hermit has its advantages (I don't have to share the cookies).

I don't run events.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:05:40 AM by GamingGlen »

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
I would definitely return to Victory for my solo guys, and have my team toons on a server like Freedom where there is more people.

I never really LEAD a SG. I was more of a manager and Base Designer if anything. Highest I ever got was pretty much First Lieutenant

I never really lead any events either. I started them up and because I am a TERRIBLE Trial, TF, (anything really) leader, I would get the League teams together and pass the leadership to a more experienced person.

I spent the vase majority of my time on Victory, then Liberty later on. Both were mostly tame. I may try something more lively if the team is successful.
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Myrmydon

• Minion
I'll join whatever server comes back up, play until my fingers bleed and worry about the rest as it occurs.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
I'm sure I'll pick right up where I left off. I'll keep my sg of one -for storage purposes - but will likely join some others instead of being a predominantly solo player except for iTrials.

As for leading the iTrials...I don't know. I'll have to be sure I'm still fit to play, let alone lead. My fingers might have lost that muscle memory.

Time will tell.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
I'm sure I'll pick right up where I left off. I'll keep my sg of one -for storage purposes - but will likely join some others instead of being a predominantly solo player except for iTrials.

As for leading the iTrials...I don't know. I'll have to be sure I'm still fit to play, let alone lead. My fingers might have lost that muscle memory.

Time will tell.

You'd have to rebuild all those macros.  ;D

Me... I'm with Noy. That Mothership is long, long overdue for a raid. We've got some Rikti butts to kick over on Liberty.
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
Back to freedom for me if the unthinkable were to happen and they were put back into service.  Most of my friends were there.

But time for the reality check.  If they were physical servers, they were scrubbed then either sold off as scrap or returned to whomever they leased them from.  If they were virtual then they were, at best, exported to ova format and stored on backup tape if not deleted out right.  In other words, make room for more "worthy" game servers.

Having said that, I prefer to think about our new home currently under construction thanks to the efforts of SCORE.  ;)
No Surrender!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
They were virtual. According to Codewalker (Icon guy) it doesn't save any money to make less of them, it is mainly a community/social decision.

So hope yet exists for all the servers!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
They were virtual. According to Codewalker (Icon guy) it doesn't save any money to make less of them, it is mainly a community/social decision.

So hope yet exists for all the servers!
To me, its a very dubious thing to hope for: spreading out the not-too-many-of-us across 16 servers.  Counterproductive to make us all reside on servers that really would be dead.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
To me, its a very dubious thing to hope for: spreading out the not-too-many-of-us across 16 servers.  Counterproductive to make us all reside on servers that really would be dead.

how much of a merge would you think is good? 16 to 4? I'm sure they can "balance" the load.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
how much of a merge would you think is good? 16 to 4? I'm sure they can "balance" the load.
Something like 4 would probably be good, but even that may be too many.  It's hard to say though, maybe I am grossly underestimating.

What do you mean by "balance," exactly?

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
I don't disagree. I think that it would get the game running faster if they don't have to deal with duplicate names before even opening the game. It may be a moot point if they can't get the developer tools or if the character data is unavailable.

1. Get the game open and let people reclaim their accounts as is.

2. Once it is open, announce the server merge will happen in three months to (I would go with 6 servers, not everyone likes a high pop server) all new server so no one feels like they were singled out.

3. This also will deal with names being freed up.

4. Allow people to transfer within in a grace period at no charge.

5. Give accounts one slot token for every character they have over 12 on a server.

6. Send out an email blast to all accounts, opened and closed, warning of the merge.

7. Drop the hammer and do the merge.

This give people a chance to get back in the game, sort out characters and SG's, plan for a server merge, frees up old names and is pretty even handed.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
Liberty was my home and I can't see myself playing on any other server. However, what would be restored (assuming they can restore character/server data at all) is only bits and bytes. The true heart of Liberty, what I dearly loved about it, was the community -- the unique grouping of flesh-and-blood Liberty players.

That's beyond the ability of the new owners to perfectly restore.

Would those players I think about when I think of Liberty be back? Would the composition of those who do return be anywhere near what I remember and loved?

Spreading a truncated population over 16 servers also is worrisome. The old Liberty was Goldilocks sized -- not too crowded, not too sparse -- but certainly wouldn't be with, say, a 50% smaller player base (what I consider best case scenario for returning players).

A merge of servers -- or even plain migrating my characters to another server should it prove necessary -- runs into the name problem. I am very attached to my character names -- much more than I am the name's exclusivity. When the game was live, I was a staunch advocate of the unique names models. At this point, however, I've come around to supporting a non-exclusive name model, something akin to STAR TREK ONLINE or CHAMPIONS. CharaterName@GlobalHandle, with @GlobalHandle hidden where possible.

With non-exclusive names I'd be much, much less concerned about whether happens -- whether or not servers will be reconstructed or merged or whether we all have to start totally over from scratch with a blank character roster. At the same time, how much extra work it might entail removing exclusivity, I don't know. At this stage, I'll take what I can get and adjust accordingly.

-- Doc Hornet

(Speaking of unique names, I seem to have lost my old Titan Network key account info -- tied to a email account long since wiped by Yahoo and thus inaccessible. I've had to create a new Titan account and start over with post #1. An omen of things to come, perhaps?)

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
Doc, I was a Liberty player and I've seen a few others about as well. I played on most servers and despite the talk, I had a pretty good time on all of them. Most of the people seemed pretty nice. Despite it's reputation, even Freedom was fun to play on.

No matter what server we end up on we will all carry a little piece of Liberty with us. But I think making announcements when the time comes about which server we will all migrate to will help.

I played on weeknights after 10PM CST, usually until 1AM so I played with the night shift guys. I think we will form a new community where ever we go. Hope to see you in game when we get to go home.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
Liberty was my home and I can't see myself playing on any other server. However, what would be restored (assuming they can restore character/server data at all) is only bits and bytes. The true heart of Liberty, what I dearly loved about it, was the community -- the unique grouping of flesh-and-blood Liberty players.

I played with a small SG named Aurora's All Stars on Liberty after my Victory peeps all moved on.
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Taliseian

• Minion
My home server was Virtue, and if the DJs and the crowds return so will I.

T

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
I led several SGs/VGs over several servers.

But my fav haunt was Virtue.

CoH is my first mmo, didn't know what I was doing when picking a server, creating a toon...but I've never regretted it!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
Pinnacle and Triumph denizen, in the main (alts on every server, though). I'd absolutely re-form the Triumph RP-oriented SG I founded near the end of Year One...and see if people were putting back together the groups I ended up playing with the most for the last several years of the game over on Pinn.