Author Topic: News?  (Read 241698 times)

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
Re: News?
« Reply #260 on: September 20, 2012, 07:23:03 PM »
Indeed... I'm going into CoffeeTalk withdrawal.  I'm missing the tangents and hats.

:gonk:

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #261 on: September 20, 2012, 07:31:35 PM »

Wammo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #262 on: September 20, 2012, 07:38:53 PM »
I hope we haven't seen the last of coffee talk one way or another! The guy was/is a great ambassador for the game

gameboy1234

• Underling
« Reply #264 on: September 20, 2012, 08:52:30 PM »
Heard from Brian.  Status same.  NCSoft is not saying no, anyway!

Just a weird thought: would it help perhaps to have a 3rd party involved?  I was thinking that perhaps there might be good reasons for NC Soft not to sell to SOE, with them being competitors and all.  But Valve is pretty much loaded right now, and Valve is more of a distribution channel, and someone whom NC Soft might want to keep on their good side.  So if Valve were waving money at NC Soft it might be a little more incentive for NC Soft to sell, methinks.

I don't know of course, and this would probably be best handled by Brian.  I thought I'd toss it out there as an idea.  There's a lot of CoHers on Steam, we've got a few big CoH groups there, and a lot of folks are adding sever-specific groups now so they can stay in touch.  So a lot of us are already customers of Valve.   Might be attractive from Valve's perspective to acquire their own MMORPG and an experienced team along with it, along with some rabidly loyal customers.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #265 on: September 20, 2012, 08:58:57 PM »
It fell off the main pages some time ago, but a number of CoH players have already sent their messages to Gabe Newell asking for Valve to at least consider the proposition. With its emphasis on non-traditional (read: non-WoW) gameplay and user-generated content of all types--characters, bases, AE--I think CoH is a good fit in Valve's portfolio.

Feel free to contribute your voice here. :)
@Vulpy
Protector Server

Icy Pop

• Underling
« Reply #266 on: September 20, 2012, 09:23:55 PM »
I think Valve is a great idea as well. Valve was the first thing my husband mentioned when this happened. Is there an address we can write a letter to? Or will too much correspondence be annoying. 

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #267 on: September 20, 2012, 10:09:11 PM »
I hate Valve. Please GOD don't make me have to have to do business with them again.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #268 on: September 20, 2012, 10:27:29 PM »
That could end up being the case of leaping out of the frying pan and into the fire. EA has had their eye on Valve, and if they manage to pull out of their current financial mess... ugh.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #269 on: September 20, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
That could end up being the case of leaping out of the frying pan and into the fire. EA has had their eye on Valve, and if they manage to pull out of their current financial mess... ugh.

Gabe has been quoted more than once as saying that Valve would disperse, as a company, before they would allow themselves to be bought up by the likes of EA or Activision. >.>
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #270 on: September 20, 2012, 10:41:04 PM »
I don't think that the "Big-Players" are intressted in our beloved game, that's not their style. The game is just to old and it's not such a big franchise for them that a part 2 can working in their minds. It's not a fantasy based game, not have Marvel or DC characters in it and the profit are peanuts for them, so it's not on their radar, I'm sure.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2012, 10:49:23 PM »
As I see it, it's perfect for a small distributor, someone for whom the entry fee might require a loan, but the documented profits would be a significant boon to their ledger. Trouble is, the game is likely hemorrhaging players as the days without news from the bargaining table rack up.

Actually, I'm going to add that bit from VV about the negotiations still progressing to my Informant toon, right now.

I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #272 on: September 21, 2012, 02:43:06 AM »
I don't think that the "Big-Players" are intressted in our beloved game, that's not their style. The game is just to old and it's not such a big franchise for them that a part 2 can working in their minds. It's not a fantasy based game, not have Marvel or DC characters in it and the profit are peanuts for them, so it's not on their radar, I'm sure.

In a way, it's better than a fantasy game though. Fantasy games are very limited in what you can do for characters. Paragon City will welcome anything as long as it isn't ridiculously vulgar. And CoX has more value to it than just as a game. Half the time it's used like a portal for virtual Cosplay, in that someone sets up a themed event, everyone rolls level 1's with costumes to match, and then attends. The only other games I'm aware of that have ever had that kind of community element to it, are Second Life and Sims Online. CoX provides this kind of experience, while still having all the mechanics of an MMO, which is a very unique thing. Properly cared for, businesses can take advantage of that just like they can with Cons.

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #273 on: September 21, 2012, 03:20:32 AM »
In a way, it's better than a fantasy game though. Fantasy games are very limited in what you can do for characters. Paragon City will welcome anything as long as it isn't ridiculously vulgar. And CoX has more value to it than just as a game. Half the time it's used like a portal for virtual Cosplay,

I'd say a bit more than virtual as far as the cosplay goes.

And then ther is Arf the Puppy, who effectlvy uses a semi silly proof of concept travel power as a key aspect of his charecter.  What other MMO can say THAT?

LightofthePhoenix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #274 on: September 21, 2012, 04:34:45 AM »

And then ther is Arf the Puppy, who effectlvy uses a semi silly proof of concept travel power as a key aspect of his charecter.  What other MMO can say THAT?

I have the name Pack of Wild Dogs on Virtue for a Beast Mastermind who only uses the wolves, German shepherd vanity pet, and Coyote Travel Power. ;)
My CoH documentary class project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGcFC197rfQ

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #275 on: September 21, 2012, 04:41:24 AM »

Impeccable timing, I just bumped into Arf for the first time within a half hour of reading this post.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #276 on: September 21, 2012, 05:56:07 AM »
Arf?  Never heard  of that character.  (Or what the heck 'Woofers' is.)

Flying Code Monkey

• Underling
« Reply #277 on: September 21, 2012, 06:58:43 AM »
On Virtue I have "Save CoH Information" logged in front of City Hall overnight.  I always come back to /tells thanking me as well, and in-game emails requesting information. It's a great way to boost our numbers! Here he is again:

That ... is extremely clever.  Well done, sir or madam.

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #278 on: September 21, 2012, 11:02:28 AM »
Absolutly true, City of Heroes is a lot better then everthing from this fantasy stuff. When I play Everquest for example and I got an elf there and Sony is thinking... "Well we want to concentrate on the PS3 and so we close the servers..." Then I can rebuild my elf in every other game because there are tons from them out there end every game is a little bit the same. With my mastermind Lina Moonshine it's differnet. I have no chance that I can make a similar character in an other game, it's just to special and that's exaclty the point why we love the game so much I think...

For the big publishers this dosn't matter at all. MMORPG have to be fantasy games, every other game isn't intressting for them. In some point... Well they are right with this. Look at "The Secred World" it's differnet and wasn't a big deal with 200.000 sold units, heads was rolling there but to game goes on... so far. Try to go new ways and make different games is something for the smaller companys and I think that we have a much better chance there.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #279 on: September 21, 2012, 01:04:14 PM »
Entirely unrelated to the "save CoH" effort, the tangent on "better than fantasy" and "CoH can do anything, not just limited to fantasy" in this thread made me ponder: perhaps a Fantasy-like expansion sometime in the future (assuming all goes well and there is a future) would be interesting. We've seen in Marvel comics that a myth/fantasy-esq story arc is not out of place in a comics-verse (see Journey Into Mystery starting with the plot arc Fear Itself; I don't read comics, much, but I enjoyed that one so much I bought a hardbound copy of the first half of it and am looking for the rest in similar format).