Author Topic: Batman vs. Superman: Bat-suit and Batmobile  (Read 17319 times)

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
Re: Batman vs. Superman: Bat-suit and Batmobile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2014, 02:54:26 AM »
Training/contest costume vs the one she'll wear outside Themyscira, way not the same one.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2014, 02:56:16 AM »
Absolutely. Comic-book movies are serious business. The days of putting in stupid kiddie comedy business like wacky talking animals is in the past now.

What'll they suggest next, a climactic dance-off?
XD

but seriously, I thought the suit in Superman Returns struck a good balance. It was not so garishly colored that it clashed with the setting, but it was also not so drab or washed out as to seem like they were actively avoiding the character's roots. DC needs to learn what Marvel seems to know... you have to embrace the super-human and wild nature of any comic book movie. They make a fine batman movie; but superman is not batman, and wonder woman is not batman. Sadly, the nu52 is almost entirely batman it seems.

I'll be over here, with the ol' school stuff, and my fan fictions, and my web comics.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2014, 03:41:44 PM »
DC is in a sort of revolution in their characters.  New 52 (which I've not read, but that's a reboot, as I understand it) and now, with the success of Batman Begins and changing quite a bit of how to tell the story of Batman, I suspect the 'as real as possible' method is where DC/Warner is going to take this stuff.  The Nolanverse Batman is still somewhat fantastic in nature, but the underpinnings for the suit and the tech is still based in 'what is, for the most part, possible today?  How could this really possibly happen if it were to be an actual thing?'

'Course, they got a little bit away from that to get the last movie in, with the nuke power thing, and the Bat.  Not saying it couldn't happen, but...

I like the new direction, myself.  I have some issues with some things in Man of Steel that show much more vulnerability of Kal that could be exploited (atmospherics can change his abilities?!  Snap his neck and he's done?  Jonathan didn't have to die that way.  Or at all, to be honest!) but overall, the 'more like real life' direction appeals to me.  Kal El, put simply, could never have a perfect 'never kill' ratio in real life on this Earth.  And honestly, neither could Batman.

So their being more human... or more correctly, more 'real'... is a good thing, for me.  Just wish some of the story wasn't so suck sometimes, but eh... it's a comic book movie.  Gotta just let some of it go and enjoy the thing as much as possible, right?

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2014, 03:14:24 PM »

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2014, 02:07:16 AM »
Doors are stupid.  I mean... Batman wouldn't design that.  FOX wouldn't design that.  You can't open the doors unless you have 8 foot or more of clearance. 

What if he had to get out in a parking garage?

*raspy batvoice:*

"You wait right here.  I gotta find a parking space, then I'll get out and kick your ass.  Better yet, can you just meet me outside the garage?  Thanks."

Nice one, guys.

Other than that, looks cool, similar to the Tumbler enough.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2014, 03:33:13 AM »
Maybe there'll be an instance in the movie where he needs to improvise a braking parachute.   :roll:
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2014, 03:16:05 PM »
I tend to like the Batmobile looking more like a car than a tank.  That thing is a monstrosity I'd expect to find in some futuristic Space Marine film, not as the sleek stealth car that Batman is supposed to drive.

I guess I want a car that's a little more Knight Rider and a lot less Aliens vs. Predator.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2014, 06:55:46 PM »
I read a comment on an article (might have been the one I posted) where someone said they always felt the Batmobile should look like a cross between a tank and an F1 car. I tend to agree, and this one seems to fit that. I also agree that the doors look stupid.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2014, 04:58:20 AM »
It looks like they're not so much doors as a unique cockpit that opens up and splits out in a way that might, say, allow one to fire a grappling line up and launch out as they're opening.  And judging from the nearby car, I don't think it requires more clearance than a beefy pickup (and given that it's Batman, I'd be shocked if there wasn't another means of egress).
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2014, 01:10:54 PM »
I read a comment on an article (might have been the one I posted) where someone said they always felt the Batmobile should look like a cross between a tank and an F1 car. I tend to agree, and this one seems to fit that. I also agree that the doors look stupid.
Am I dating myself if I remember the 70s batmobile was built as a stock (race) car?

Batman doesn't use guns that shoot bullets because Batman doesn't kill.  Well, Superman isn't supposed to either, but we know how that turned out...

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »
The Adam West Batmobile was a Lincoln Futura.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Futura
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2014, 06:51:04 PM »
I should clarify that I meant the batmobile in the comics, but the Futura is an excellent example of something that isn't a tank. :)

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2014, 06:59:59 PM »
Personally, this was always my favorite:

With the way Batman is portrayed these days, the Bat-tank just seems like it fits better. If they ever go back to portraying him as a smooth, less gaudy detective and not a tech-based super soldier, I'd love to see a return to cars like ^that one.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2014, 03:18:55 PM »
Yeah, but every Batmobile is shown to be armor-plated and filled with gadgets to stop fleeing or pursuing vehicles.  I don't see the appeal in making it bulky and ugly on top of it (especially since Batman's whole schtick is stealth and subtlety, which are two things that none of the recent movie Batmobiles have).

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2014, 06:00:57 PM »
"Stealth" and "car" are two concepts that mix really bad, unless you want Bats to change his name to Mr. Plow.
His bodycount would sky-rocket...
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2014, 07:02:05 PM »
"Stealth" and "car" are two concepts that mix really bad, unless you want Bats to change his name to Mr. Plow.
His bodycount would sky-rocket...
I am not seeing the correlation between a stealthy car and a huge body count. Would you please explain you thought process on that, please?
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2014, 02:43:44 AM »
Sung to the tune of 'Mr. Plow':

SWEAR TO ME, 'cause I'm Batman, I am the night, and Mr. Plow.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2014, 05:06:14 AM »
I am not seeing the correlation between a stealthy car and a huge body count. Would you please explain you thought process on that, please?
If a car can't be heard or seen or people won't be able to get out of the way.
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2014, 09:13:42 AM »
... I said "stealth and subtlety", not "completely undetectable by all human senses until it runs over a dozen people".  I certainly didn't say "the driver should be unable to see anyone or anything so he just runs over people without knowing about it."

I just meant "a sleek aerodynamic car, as opposed to a gigantic lumbering tank."