Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7295036 times)

LateNights

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #28560 on: June 06, 2018, 07:31:00 AM »
Something doesn't smell right to me.  ???

Pretty sure Nate stepped away after the initial introductions, he did post something akin to "game over" after the announcement of NCs short-lived Moba that threw "Statesman" & a few other characters into the mix.

As far as I know, no-one else here at Titan really has anything to do with the deal, and realistically the team may not even be aware of these forums!

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #28561 on: June 06, 2018, 02:29:36 PM »
Pretty sure Nate stepped away after the initial introductions, he did post something akin to "game over" after the announcement of NCs short-lived Moba that threw "Statesman" & a few other characters into the mix.

Would you happen to have a link to where he said this? I'd be interested to see it.

As far as I know, no-one else here at Titan really has anything to do with the deal, and realistically the team may not even be aware of these forums!

I don't think the individuals whom were relaying updates/information to us have been so out of the loop that they can't confirm/deny whether or not they're still ongoing, though. To my knowledge, no one has come forward with any type of official/formal update for a couple of years now.

I can't help but find it somewhat problematic that certain figures within our community would come forward with information, incite excitement and hope for something we've all been yearning to have for nearly 6 years now, and then try and silently slip away when the 'negotiations' have so evidently and clearly ceased to exist. Maybe as a community we've collectively decided to move on from it, regardless of whether or not they were actually happening (as we were never given any direct proof of it), and hell, perhaps we don't even care anymore. 

...But does no one want closure with this? Lol. Like, who the hell were these 'backers'? How did they have the money? And do we all still believe that the main reason why we've been kept in the dark all these years is because of a standing NDA? I'm not trying to incite some type of riot over this, but I'm very much intrigued. I think there's a possibility that we're not getting the full truth of what really happened, and information is being withheld.

These negotiations were the main reason why this thread was even started! I'd like to hear honest feedback/opinions here. Are we 'over it'? Is this a 'it is what it is' type situation?
Viva la Virtue!

Keldian

• Minion
« Reply #28562 on: June 06, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/segscode/status/1004370084566126592

What's this about?  Is SEGS some kind of COH emulator?

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #28563 on: June 06, 2018, 02:50:21 PM »
I can't help but find it somewhat problematic that certain figures within our community would come forward with information, incite excitement and hope for something we've all been yearning to have for nearly 6 years now, and then try and silently slip away when the 'negotiations' have so evidently and clearly ceased to exist.
This is a gross mischaracterization of the events in question. My understanding is that the negotiations were being conducted in secret when someone who was peripherally connected decided to go public and tell us all that they were happening. This left Nate and the others in a position where they had to scramble to put out some kind of a public statement while simultaneously not sabotaging their backdoor negotiations. They didn't set out to incite excitement, excitement was thrust upon them.

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #28564 on: June 06, 2018, 03:01:24 PM »
This is a gross mischaracterization of the events in question. My understanding is that the negotiations were being conducted in secret when someone who was peripherally connected decided to go public and tell us all that they were happening. This left Nate and the others in a position where they had to scramble to put out some kind of a public statement while simultaneously not sabotaging their backdoor negotiations. They didn't set out to incite excitement, excitement was thrust upon them.

I never said that their intention was to incite excitement. That's what inevitably happened - I understand that part.

The issue I have is the lack of explanation of what conspired after all of this time. I actually think it's been closer to three years now since we last heard anything? I may have been incorrect in my previous post when I said two.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 03:50:54 PM by Ultimate15 »
Viva la Virtue!

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28565 on: June 06, 2018, 04:29:16 PM »
I never said that their intention was to incite excitement. That's what inevitably happened - I understand that part.

The issue I have is the lack of explanation of what conspired after all of this time. I actually think it's been closer to three years now since we last heard anything? I may have been incorrect in my previous post when I said two.

I am going to stick the NDA thing for the lack of available information concerning negotiations. Having dealt with them for several years, I know how binding and long they can last. In fact, I'm still constrained by some NDAs several years after not working with the company that had me sign them in the first place.

So, yeah, NDA.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #28566 on: June 06, 2018, 05:34:15 PM »
I am going to stick the NDA thing for the lack of available information concerning negotiations. Having dealt with them for several years, I know how binding and long they can last. In fact, I'm still constrained by some NDAs several years after not working with the company that had me sign them in the first place.

So, yeah, NDA.

See, but you can at least acknowledge and/or publicly state that you are, in fact, currently under an NDA. We have second-hand information that these individuals are under an NDA, but we have no concrete first-hand acknowledgement of that (other than IronWolf saying that they were in one of the updates on the first page of the thread). But, that was also with the understanding that people whom are in an NDA often times can't confirm/deny whether or not that's even true. So, wtf?

Also, why would Nate be under an NDA if he is not part of the negotiations? That part is confusing to me as well. I think it's one thing that the buyers and/or those directly involved with the negotiations haven't come forward - fine, whatever. But are we to believe that potential insiders whom were not directly involved with the negotiations (i.e. Nate) are STILL under an NDA, and therefore can't speak on it at all?

Also, if what LateNights said is true about him saying "game over" after the Master X Master game blew up in NCSoft's face, wouldn't that be a breach of an NDA?

I feel like I'm missing pieces to a puzzle here lol. Or, maybe I'm making a puzzle where there isn't one?
Viva la Virtue!

Golden Aurora

• Boss
« Reply #28567 on: June 06, 2018, 07:21:32 PM »
Nate said the thing about game over in a FB post in response to people talking about statesman.
It was like some time last year. He didn't say game over.
It was something like "Oh well, it was a long shot anyways".
Idk. But I know what you're talking about.

Anyways SEGS is a city of heroes server emulation software.
They've got a discord channel I joined to check it out but all the stuff is in Github.
https://github.com/Segs/Segs/

Looks like SEGS is planning on not making any of the server content. Instead making new content or plugins to script your own crap with some language like Lua.
We'll see how it goes.

I joined their discord server. It was linked in their youtube channel.
This is the link I found: http://discord.segs.io
Looks pretty active.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:30:08 PM by Golden Aurora »

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #28568 on: June 06, 2018, 10:14:22 PM »
It was something like "Oh well, it was a long shot anyways".

Really???

Wow.
Viva la Virtue!

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28569 on: June 07, 2018, 12:11:03 AM »
Nate isn't under an NDA, he was never part of the negotiations at all once he introduced the interested parties to each other.

I do have to wonder about an NDA so strict that they're apparently not even allowed to say they're under a NDA, but it may just be that the people who are under said NDA just don't post here.

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #28570 on: June 07, 2018, 12:13:41 AM »
Nate isn't under an NDA, he was never part of the negotiations at all once he introduced the interested parties to each other.

Did Nate come forward and say that (the part about him not being under an NDA, I mean)? Maybe I missed it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 12:20:28 AM by Ultimate15 »
Viva la Virtue!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28571 on: June 07, 2018, 03:09:23 AM »
Anyways SEGS is a city of heroes server emulation software.
They've got a discord channel I joined to check it out but all the stuff is in Github.
https://github.com/Segs/Segs/

Looks like SEGS is planning on not making any of the server content. Instead making new content or plugins to script your own crap with some language like Lua.
We'll see how it goes.

I joined their discord server. It was linked in their youtube channel.
This is the link I found: http://discord.segs.io
Looks pretty active.

Sounds like Segs is making a Mission Architect emulator, which is both good and bad.  Good in that we get some of CoH back,  bad in that they can't recreate the original content.

I do remember some projects I was working on way back when to recreate/create versions of the assorted TF/SF in the MA as close as possible to the real ones for people to use as practice versions.   Can't remember if I still have the files....
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Golden Aurora

• Boss
« Reply #28572 on: June 07, 2018, 04:13:50 AM »
Well.. I just downloaded, built, and went through installing the latest source code.
It's issue 0 coh without any server definitions on powers/text/stuff.
Could run around on the map without issue. Could see npcs built into the map.
Could type and do stuff without problems.
I doubt it's the mission architect as that was not in issue zero.
Unless they have some scripts up their sleeve to give mission/power content, it's basically just paragon chat but with an actual mapserver instead of XMPP.
But! It opens the door to so much more. It means the engine/mapserver has been written, which was the hardest part in emulating the game.
All it would need would be people willing to create content and missions.

In -that- context, perhaps it is the mission architect. But not from the context of the I15 stuff or whatever.

Kruhl Sentru

• Underling
« Reply #28573 on: June 07, 2018, 04:56:49 AM »
I've been under NDA before, and in at least one case, I was not allowed to even say I was under NDA.  Personally, I think that's going a bit too far with one's NDA, but it's fairly commonplace.

As far as I'm concerned, good ol' task force hail mary is a long shot, but still better than most attempts to bring a game back.  I mean, the community is still alive enough to revive the game, there were at least some negotiations of a more serious kind, and, judging by the plethora of 'spiritual sequels' out there, there's plenty of active interest.  Still, getting NCSoft to be remotely interested is highly unlikely.  They don't care.  It's a great idea to bring it back, they could get some free money out of it, they could improve their reputation a bit with it, etc.  Still, they earned their foul reputation, and it doesn't look like they'll be paying attention anytime soon.

Still, I'm not one to just give up.  I'm still looking forward to any chance at something like CoH coming around, one way or another.  I know the odds are low, but I'm still going to hope for the best.  Stranger things have happened.

mobbyg

• Minion
  • Ultra Knight Lives!!
« Reply #28574 on: June 07, 2018, 03:47:15 PM »
Well.. I just downloaded, built, and went through installing the latest source code.
It's issue 0 coh without any server definitions on powers/text/stuff.
Could run around on the map without issue. Could see npcs built into the map.
Could type and do stuff without problems.
I doubt it's the mission architect as that was not in issue zero.
Unless they have some scripts up their sleeve to give mission/power content, it's basically just paragon chat but with an actual mapserver instead of XMPP.
But! It opens the door to so much more. It means the engine/mapserver has been written, which was the hardest part in emulating the game.
All it would need would be people willing to create content and missions.

In -that- context, perhaps it is the mission architect. But not from the context of the I15 stuff or whatever.

You pretty much nailed it. We have some stuff in the pipe for v0.6.0 already. Someone in chat was talking about looking into trying to code something for powers. Which we're gearing up for based on some of the commits. Micro steps Nemerle has said.

If you want to play with the LUA stuff for plaques, you can enable it in the build in QT. Right now it's just a simple popup that say you clicked on a plaque.

But good times!

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #28575 on: June 07, 2018, 04:12:17 PM »
I've been under NDA before, and in at least one case, I was not allowed to even say I was under NDA.  Personally, I think that's going a bit too far with one's NDA, but it's fairly commonplace.

As far as I'm concerned, good ol' task force hail mary is a long shot, but still better than most attempts to bring a game back.  I mean, the community is still alive enough to revive the game, there were at least some negotiations of a more serious kind, and, judging by the plethora of 'spiritual sequels' out there, there's plenty of active interest.  Still, getting NCSoft to be remotely interested is highly unlikely.  They don't care.  It's a great idea to bring it back, they could get some free money out of it, they could improve their reputation a bit with it, etc.  Still, they earned their foul reputation, and it doesn't look like they'll be paying attention anytime soon.

Still, I'm not one to just give up.  I'm still looking forward to any chance at something like CoH coming around, one way or another.  I know the odds are low, but I'm still going to hope for the best.  Stranger things have happened.

Agreed with all of this. These are my same sentiments as well. I support any type of effort to get the game back - and I genuinely hope all of the successor projects are successful, too. I was grateful for what Nate and any/all involved parties were trying to do, and I fully supported them.

But I do feel like Nate and/or IronWolf should step forward and say something along the lines of "Hey - I'm not naming names, but here's what happened with this, here's where I think it currently stands, and here's why I was so quiet about it." Regardless of all of the speculation with the NDA's and what-not, they should have come forward and said something about this by now - purely for the sake of closure, and to put an end to any type of lingering speculation/questions people might of had about what the hell happened. And seeing as how the majority of people are claiming that they (Nate, specifically) are NOT, in fact, under an NDA... then that's all the more reason why some type formal statement should have been made. Talks/negotiations assumingly happened, but nothing came of it - okay, fine. It happens. But to stay mum for this long about something you were a central part of initiating - and considering the impact/attention it received from the community, too - it's just problematic for me, I guess.

I may not know all of the specifics, so take what I say with a grain of salt. *shrugs* Or maybe I'm just being over-dramatic haha. I'm gettin' hit in the FEELZ today, people!
Viva la Virtue!

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28576 on: June 07, 2018, 07:27:06 PM »
Agreed with all of this. These are my same sentiments as well. I support any type of effort to get the game back - and I genuinely hope all of the successor projects are successful, too. I was grateful for what Nate and any/all involved parties were trying to do, and I fully supported them.

But I do feel like Nate and/or IronWolf should step forward and say something along the lines of "Hey - I'm not naming names, but here's what happened with this, here's where I think it currently stands, and here's why I was so quiet about it." Regardless of all of the speculation with the NDA's and what-not, they should have come forward and said something about this by now - purely for the sake of closure, and to put an end to any type of lingering speculation/questions people might of had about what the hell happened. And seeing as how the majority of people are claiming that they (Nate, specifically) are NOT, in fact, under an NDA... then that's all the more reason why some type formal statement should have been made. Talks/negotiations assumingly happened, but nothing came of it - okay, fine. It happens. But to stay mum for this long about something you were a central part of initiating - and considering the impact/attention it received from the community, too - it's just problematic for me, I guess.

I may not know all of the specifics, so take what I say with a grain of salt. *shrugs* Or maybe I'm just being over-dramatic haha. I'm gettin' hit in the FEELZ today, people!

Just because someone initiated the negotiations, doesn't mean that they know how they are going, or even if they are still going on. Considering that that person is not a part of the negotiations.  In all reality, I'd bet that all Nate could tell us is the same thing we've been telling ourselves. Yes, it would be nice of him to stop by and say "hey, I initiated those negotiations and as far as I know they're still going on because, well, NDA. I'm not privy to the negotiations because I'm not a part of them. So, yeah."

Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #28577 on: June 07, 2018, 09:34:22 PM »
Just because someone initiated the negotiations, doesn't mean that they know how they are going, or even if they are still going on. Considering that that person is not a part of the negotiations. 

I never said that I think he knows definitively where the negotiations stand at this present time just b/c he initiated them. But I do suspect that he knows more than what he has shared. And I'm struggling to see why he wouldn't be able to disclose at least what he DOES know, now that the negotiations are so clearly over? Especially if what he knows isn't constricted by an NDA.

Also, even if he kept things more vague and/or indirect, that would be better than nothing! I'd understand if he couldn't go into specifics/details about everything and anything he knows (that's not constricted by an NDA). Something general and non-specific - so as not to disrupt any current on-goings, as unlikely as that is at this point - would suffice.

In all reality, I'd bet that all Nate could tell us is the same thing we've been telling ourselves. Yes, it would be nice of him to stop by and say "hey, I initiated those negotiations and as far as I know they're still going on because, well, NDA. I'm not privy to the negotiations because I'm not a part of them. So, yeah."

...I'd take that! Regarding Nate telling us the same thing(s) we've been telling ourselves - that could very well be true, or it could very well not be. But we might never know if there continues to be nothing but a wall of silence from all parties nearly three years since we received any type of formal update. Also, just to clarify, you're saying that Nate wouldn't know anything because the people whom are directly involved are under an NDA? Or do you suspect Nate himself is under an NDA? From what the majority of people have been saying, Nate was never under an NDA.

And there's the whole "Oh well, it was a longshot anyways" comment on Facebook. Like... after allllll that transpired with this, that's it? That's all we're gonna get? I'm sorry, but I don't think it's a matter of 'it would be nice of him to stop by...' I think it would be the right thing for him to do.

Hell, maybe I would say he 'owes us' that.
Viva la Virtue!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28578 on: June 08, 2018, 03:29:58 AM »

And there's the whole "Oh well, it was a longshot anyways" comment on Facebook. Like... after allllll that transpired with this, that's it? That's all we're gonna get? I'm sorry, but I don't think it's a matter of 'it would be nice of him to stop by...' I think it would be the right thing for him to do.

Hell, maybe I would say he 'owes us' that.

I don't think Nate really owes us any explanations, though hearing from Nate would be nice.

However it is possible that he simply has no information to tell, regardless of any NDA.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28579 on: June 08, 2018, 04:56:14 AM »
I don't think Nate really owes us any explanations, though hearing from Nate would be nice.

However it is possible that he simply has no information to tell, regardless of any NDA.

He doesnt owe us anything.

That being said, If you are reading this, Hi Nate, hope things are going ok!