Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7295544 times)

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #26560 on: January 15, 2017, 01:13:12 AM »
Whoever it was, they covered it up. With SCIENCE. From the Government. And they are here to help us.

It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26561 on: January 15, 2017, 12:07:39 PM »
According to the Civ game I played recently none of what is being said is adding up  First of all you guys haven't even mentioned how Rome had conquered most of the known world by 1776.  Not sure where you guys are getting your facts but uh I witnessed the whole thing and clearly the world was always under Roman rule as a Monarchy.  I think at one point they were a Merchant Republic but that didn't last long.
Funny you should bring that up. I nuked Rome(the city) twice tonight before conquering and raising it. Murica.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #26562 on: January 15, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »
Funny you should bring that up. I nuked Rome(the city) twice tonight before conquering and raising it. Murica.
Which Civ? I have mixed feelings about the new one.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26563 on: January 15, 2017, 02:59:36 PM »
Correct.

Even if you sell the brand, whatever happens to it reflect on your company. You must take great care when relinquishing control.
I can solve that one.    Remove any mention of NCSoft.      8)    I'm sure most players won't mind.

JordanYen

• Minion
« Reply #26564 on: January 15, 2017, 03:33:29 PM »
Pretty sure it's the I.P itself, rather than the old game that has value for NC.

In what way? Are they making comics? T-shirts? Mugs? Like was said above, soon(ish) a replacement will come out and this game will become hard to play. The sense of nostalgia we have is fueled most strongly by lack of options. When great games got great sequels, I was far less captivated by the original. For example, the majesty of Starcraft 2 makes the original Starcraft very hard to play in comparison. I can't even enjoy it much anymore because the new game is so much better.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26565 on: January 15, 2017, 07:13:20 PM »
Civ 5. I am waiting till 6 is nice and cheap.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26566 on: January 15, 2017, 10:19:03 PM »
I can solve that one.    Remove any mention of NCSoft.      8)    I'm sure most players won't mind.

I suspect NCSoft would still want their logo on the login screen at least.  As long as there are enough disclaimers on the website and forum when the game launches that fully explains that NCSoft doesn't own the game anymore then it should be fine. :)
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Stitchified

• Boss
  • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers.
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #26567 on: January 15, 2017, 11:30:29 PM »
I suspect NCSoft would still want their logo on the login screen at least.  As long as there are enough disclaimers on the website and forum when the game launches that fully explains that NCSoft doesn't own the game anymore then it should be fine. :)
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if NCsoft wants to keep their logo on the login screen, but I kinda doubt that NCsoft is going to sell CoH/CoV, maybe if there's no real profit to made otherwise, but aside from that, I don't see em willingly selling the game if there's still profit to be made.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #26568 on: January 16, 2017, 02:05:30 AM »
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if NCsoft wants to keep their logo on the login screen, but I kinda doubt that NCsoft is going to sell CoH/CoV, maybe if there's no real profit to made otherwise, but aside from that, I don't see em willingly selling the game if there's still profit to be made.
At this time there is no profit being made from City of Heroes at all. There is no merchandise based on the IP being sold and no game servers charging subscriptions to play and there haven't been any for years. Any money they receive for selling or leasing the game is more than what it's earning NCsoft at this point in time. Any likely potential revenue from the IP declines slightly with each passing year.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26569 on: January 16, 2017, 02:35:24 AM »

I was referring to Civ VI.  I'd still have to say IV is my favorite but while VI isn't perfect I'd say I like it more then V at this point - although it did take a few games for me to come around.  V post DLC and with a few mods could be really great but it lacked depth at times.  Civ 6 my biggest gripe is you cant freaking que up stuff in the production menu, so enjoy having 30+ cities.   No diplomacy win either but I do love the new religious win though, its slow to start but theological battles and holy wars are a blast later game.  Just hordes of Apostles and Inquisitor fighting it out.

Funny you should bring THAT up because this current game I am playing as Gandhi.  I think we both know how it will end.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26570 on: January 16, 2017, 03:00:57 AM »
I was referring to Civ VI.  I'd still have to say IV is my favorite but while VI isn't perfect I'd say I like it more then V at this point - although it did take a few games for me to come around.  V post DLC and with a few mods could be really great but it lacked depth at times.  Civ 6 my biggest gripe is you cant freaking que up stuff in the production menu, so enjoy having 30+ cities.   No diplomacy win either but I do love the new religious win though, its slow to start but theological battles and holy wars are a blast later game.  Just hordes of Apostles and Inquisitor fighting it out.

Funny you should bring THAT up because this current game I am playing as Gandhi.  I think we both know how it will end.

You'll end up going nuke crazy on all the other major civs and then plead temporary insanity?
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26571 on: January 16, 2017, 06:02:54 AM »
That...is quite the business tactic, actually. Almost a test of worthiness in a way with so many things done to irritate and strain the building relationship.

At some point no news is good news becomes no news.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26572 on: January 16, 2017, 08:32:17 AM »
It is time once again for (trumpet fanfare) The Pantless Avenger Report.
And here he is now, The Pantless Avenger!

Greetings pants fans, I was just in a meeting with members of the THeM.  Well technicially not members.  They were people who know the THeM very closely.  Ok, that's a lie.  Actually they work for people who know the THeM.  Well work for is not 100% acurate.  Ok, I had lunch with the dry cleaner who does the cleaning for the THeM.  Well, I was in the same resturant shortly after they had left.  Ok, it wasn't a resturant as much as a drive through.  And they weren't the dry cleaners per se.  They operate a laundry mat next door to the hotel where members of the THeM walk by on their way to the corner drug store.  Anyway, I heard that the deal is done.  That's right.  City of Heroes is all but back on-line.  Or was it Star Trek online.  No, it was Guild Wars II was back online after a short outage.  Anyway, it sounds like good news.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26573 on: January 16, 2017, 02:17:46 PM »

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #26574 on: January 16, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #26575 on: January 16, 2017, 04:29:05 PM »
Ahhh, the days of silliness and seriousness of Babylon 5.

Taken away from us before we were ready to let go.

Reminds me of something else...
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26576 on: January 16, 2017, 07:28:36 PM »
Ahhh, the days of silliness and seriousness of Babylon 5.

Taken away from us before we were ready to let go.

Reminds me of something else...

You just can't hang your cape on it?
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26577 on: January 16, 2017, 09:54:53 PM »
In what way? Are they making comics? T-shirts? Mugs? Like was said above, soon(ish) a replacement will come out and this game will become hard to play. The sense of nostalgia we have is fueled most strongly by lack of options. When great games got great sequels, I was far less captivated by the original. For example, the majesty of Starcraft 2 makes the original Starcraft very hard to play in comparison. I can't even enjoy it much anymore because the new game is so much better.

Why not just sell for whatever they can get for it?

Im guessing they want the ip for future use, rather than the cost involved with trying to come up with a new one if and when they ever decide to make a new game.

Plus, I doubt they much care what a few diehard fans of an old game think when they can make a new game with a new fan base anytime they want...

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #26578 on: January 16, 2017, 11:26:16 PM »
Why not just sell for whatever they can get for it?

Im guessing they want the ip for future use, rather than the cost involved with trying to come up with a new one if and when they ever decide to make a new game.

Plus, I doubt they much care what a few diehard fans of an old game think when they can make a new game with a new fan base anytime they want...

Doubt they want to use it for anything.  Selling it may give them some money, but it also requires effort and some element of risk.  If they do nothing, they don't gain anything, but they also don't lose anything.  You'd be surprised how many large companies work that way. 

I would personally be shocked if more than a couple of people at NCSoft know anything about any kind of deal.  Everyone has their projects already.  They aren't quite so likely to pull anyone away from current tasks to pursue selling something they weren't planning to sell in the first place.  That could mean that it is just a handful of people there working on it in their spare time, which could be why it is taking so long.  It could just as easily mean, it doesn't even cross their minds to do any work on it.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26579 on: January 17, 2017, 02:26:36 AM »
Doubt they want to use it for anything.  Selling it may give them some money, but it also requires effort and some element of risk.  If they do nothing, they don't gain anything, but they also don't lose anything.  You'd be surprised how many large companies work that way. 

I would personally be shocked if more than a couple of people at NCSoft know anything about any kind of deal.  Everyone has their projects already.  They aren't quite so likely to pull anyone away from current tasks to pursue selling something they weren't planning to sell in the first place.  That could mean that it is just a handful of people there working on it in their spare time, which could be why it is taking so long.  It could just as easily mean, it doesn't even cross their minds to do any work on it.

The problem i see with this is that NC seemed happy to lease the I.P, but not to sell it outright.