Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7209851 times)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13880 on: January 02, 2015, 07:29:45 AM »
Thats what I liked about city of heroes, every group had a nuance that made it at least "interesting", whether you liked it or not, the groups had things to separate them from others. 
Agreed.   Two of my very favorite high lvl groups were Carnival of Shadows and Malta.    I never tired of getting revenge on them from my first encounters where they owned me repeatedly until I figured them out ("Get the Sapper first!")   PuG groups hated them so I went after them when I was in the mood to solo.   They made it really interesting for my Blasters!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13881 on: January 02, 2015, 12:06:50 PM »
Those are team building exercises designed to bring unity to the company.

They are also deductible for Tax purposes.

Cool to know, tax deductible training exercises that also include a holiday break. I did hear NCSoft was a good place to work in korea. one of my buddies is trying to get a bachelors degree to get in there.

There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13882 on: January 02, 2015, 12:12:35 PM »
*dramatic sigh* I was hoping for a new years gift of news on this thread..... oh well, back to waiting.

there was news, sadly it's the waiting kind. just an confirmation of many peoples thoughts that CoX negotiations have ground to a holiday slow crawl. speed will pick up when the holiday season is fully over.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #13883 on: January 02, 2015, 03:07:38 PM »
WHAT.

THE.

EFF.

I would have quit the game over NPCs that could shut off my travel powers!

Lunge powers like the viper stealthers, the ground pound that bear manamals use, super strength leaps and basically any power that you yourself can put "Nailed to the ground" advantage point in turn off all travels powers.
I don't recall if they could shut off teleport but at some point or other teleport speed was severely nerfed and you can be damaged while phased... although I haven't used it in quite sometime so perhaps they changed that.

SAM sites and Flak cannons were also incredibly deadly to super jump and flight users.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13884 on: January 02, 2015, 06:50:28 PM »
Lunge powers like the viper stealthers, the ground pound that bear manamals use, super strength leaps and basically any power that you yourself can put "Nailed to the ground" advantage point in turn off all travels powers.
I don't recall if they could shut off teleport but at some point or other teleport speed was severely nerfed and you can be damaged while phased... although I haven't used it in quite sometime so perhaps they changed that.

SAM sites and Flak cannons were also incredibly deadly to super jump and flight users.

(Tough) Enemies could and I think still do detect you while your teleporting.  All teleport in CO does is let you pass through npcs and player characters and makes you invisible with a high stealth rating.  But anyone with an extremely high detection can still spot you and shoot you, even while teleporting.  I ran an experiment once when the game still had radar mods, and with three of them and even a mediocre intelligence a teleporter could be spotted and shot down.  I even had an alt build specifically for countering that back in the day.

SAM sites and flak cannons used to be a problem to, though I notice the damage had been dropped very sharply recently, a shame really.  They could have easily buffed those to give vehicle users something to worry about instead of nerfing vehicles to general uselessness like they had recently.  Edit: By quite litterally nerfing the only good things vehicles could use and ignoring the fact that every other mod and weapon not being used were not because they didn't even work.

Another Edit: And, the above in the top paragraph is the reason I didn't care for teleport in CO.  Besides reactivating it constantly, it mechanically was not really teleporting anymore once I learned how it worked.  I sometimes take teleport in CO even today but, I admit, I liked teleport in city of heroes alot more because it was an actual teleport.  The moment you knew how to use it, it was actually a very flexible and easy to use ability.  And people even came up with binds to make it more usable.  CO's teleport is a generic dumbed down stealth flight.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 06:57:16 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13885 on: January 03, 2015, 12:05:15 PM »
On the subject of Teleport, in CoH what was your favorite travel power?
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

GN2

• Minion
« Reply #13886 on: January 03, 2015, 01:32:05 PM »
Fly for any kind of ranged character for dat utility.

By the end of the game you almost diddn't have to take a travel power, though. With all the temp travels and things like Ninja Run. I even remember just 3-slotting Hurdle with Jump enhancements and using that as a ghetto SJ on some chars where power options were tight and having it work out fine.

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #13887 on: January 03, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »
(Tough) Enemies could and I think still do detect you while your teleporting.  All teleport in CO does is let you pass through npcs and player characters and makes you invisible with a high stealth rating.  But anyone with an extremely high detection can still spot you and shoot you, even while teleporting.  I ran an experiment once when the game still had radar mods, and with three of them and even a mediocre intelligence a teleporter could be spotted and shot down.  I even had an alt build specifically for countering that back in the day.

SAM sites and flak cannons used to be a problem to, though I notice the damage had been dropped very sharply recently, a shame really.  They could have easily buffed those to give vehicle users something to worry about instead of nerfing vehicles to general uselessness like they had recently.  Edit: By quite litterally nerfing the only good things vehicles could use and ignoring the fact that every other mod and weapon not being used were not because they didn't even work.

Another Edit: And, the above in the top paragraph is the reason I didn't care for teleport in CO.  Besides reactivating it constantly, it mechanically was not really teleporting anymore once I learned how it worked.  I sometimes take teleport in CO even today but, I admit, I liked teleport in city of heroes alot more because it was an actual teleport.  The moment you knew how to use it, it was actually a very flexible and easy to use ability.  And people even came up with binds to make it more usable.  CO's teleport is a generic dumbed down stealth flight.

I used to PVP alot in CO.  Teleport was mandatory for that.  As soon as your low hp or they focus you; teleport out.  Yes some players had gear in reserve that gave perception they would put on when they needed to take you out during teleport.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #13888 on: January 03, 2015, 05:02:24 PM »

Nearly all my characters that used teleport also had HOVER

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13889 on: January 03, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »
Nearly all my characters that used teleport also had HOVER

it was a great travel combo. I was so looking forward to the sorcery PP so I could get both of those in one power.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13890 on: January 03, 2015, 07:09:11 PM »
ninja run with some jump and speed bonuses is all you need on most tanks. One of the things I really didn't like was the 'anti-double travel power' it kinda forbid decent tanks from taking flight or hover due to powerful moves that auto teleport.

in my book a super hero or heroine should be-able to fly and teleport if they want, especially if one of the travel powers is in their primary or secondary set.

kaaduu1280

• Minion
« Reply #13891 on: January 03, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »

Flight, hands down.  Might not have the best with speed, but you could get away from...NEARLY everything if you needed to, though it usually depended on the character.  Plus the view was incredible.
"Do not attribute to Malice what can instead be attributed to Stupidity." -NakaTeleeli

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13892 on: January 03, 2015, 08:06:08 PM »
I used to PVP alot in CO.  Teleport was mandatory for that.  As soon as your low hp or they focus you; teleport out.  Yes some players had gear in reserve that gave perception they would put on when they needed to take you out during teleport.

I used to pvp a lot in CO to, though I didn't always use teleport in it.  I found it was more important to be able to really burst people down, while still maintaining a powerful defense.  I eventually stopped when I found pvp itself to be boring, and hell, current pvp in CO is actually very bad as now people just wear each other down through attrition, which to me shouldn't be what one on one pvp should be about.  It just became build and playing build properly rather than any actual strategy to it.  I just get very bored 90% of the time with it.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13893 on: January 03, 2015, 08:12:32 PM »

I liked what little of CO's Teleport power I experienced.  True, it doesn't function mechanically the way you'd expect teleport to...from an outside observer's point of view, anyway.  What's the mechanism of action for the teleport?  You might be moving through another dimension, so CO's teleport is along the lines of what your character is actually experiencing (it was perfectly fitting for the character I had using it).  And honestly, I found it way more user friendly than CoH's Teleport (although keep in mind I barely played).  Yeah, you had binds and all that, but a power shouldn't require extra setup just to make it usable (and even then, I was never personally able to use it effectively).

Pearl Dragon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13894 on: January 03, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »

I guess that Super Jump would be my favorite travel power.  I really enjoyed using Super Jump during the Winter Event - bouncing around PI looking for presents to open to earn the Toy Collector badge  :)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13895 on: January 04, 2015, 01:59:47 AM »
My favorite travel powers tended to be mixed, usually flight.  I choose flight as my favorite because you cannot sit in mid-air with the other travel powers :).

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13896 on: January 04, 2015, 02:00:17 AM »
Loved fighting malta on my Titan/elec.

Poor sappers. Merely aroused my brute when they hit him :\

Edit: As far as travel is concerned? Teleportation.

Before Ninja run, it was SS/SJ

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #13897 on: January 04, 2015, 02:05:06 AM »

Almost always Flight, and usually triple slotted with a travel set when I could afford it with that toon.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13898 on: January 04, 2015, 02:12:13 AM »
Fav travel power WAS super jump (as I usually needed acrobatics for the mez protection and CJ was a great lil power for battle).

BUT, after Ninja Run came out I absolutely loved it. I actually had it as my sole travel power for many toons (I keep jet packs for emergencies). I got real good with that travel power; there was rarely an area that was out of my reach.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #13899 on: January 04, 2015, 04:10:39 AM »
Out in the zone, flight was my favorite travel power.  Simple to use, just point to where you want to go and hit your auto movement key.

In missions, super speed was extremely useful.  ( had it on nearly all my characters )

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---