Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7211558 times)

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13720 on: December 19, 2014, 04:14:19 AM »
I have a friend that hit 50 on his stone tank killing lord recluse in the STF.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #13721 on: December 19, 2014, 04:16:26 AM »

In the end, I had 25 characters at Level 50, but none of them every hit the magic mark in that kind of style!  I salute you!
What was no more, is now reborn!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13722 on: December 19, 2014, 07:36:19 AM »

A blaster that I converted to villain for red side badging became L50 by getting the kill-shot on Statesman in the RSF. 
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #13723 on: December 19, 2014, 08:10:48 AM »

The "glacial pace" ... which is actually not actually slow at all...

There are many factors going in to this deal. One of those main factors is "testing" the product before the new devs agree to a final deal. You see this isn't a simple transaction... code never is. So here is how the process goes in situations like this:

1. Initial talks... usually taking a month to 3 months.
2. Initial proposals... usually 2 to 3 months.
3. Intermediate proposals..usually 1-2 months.
4. Validation of product...this can take 2-3 months depending on the state of the disk image provided as well as the resources of the buyers.
5. Final negotiations... another 1-2 months...

Roughly... a year.

We are currently at the 9 month mark in this process. I'm not saying coming mid February 2015 there will be an announcement. What I am saying is that I do not expect any type of real announcement until at least mid February 2015. The steps I listed above are a mere guideline...that can be accomplished faster...and just as easily take longer if there is any type of significant snafu.

So while you...and others... may feel this process is moving at "glacial" speeds... I recognize that deals like this in order to be thorough and fruitful...require time and patience. Rushing any part of the process can cause a complete meltdown in negotiations...so while I am sorry you feel it is moving too slow... I would rather they take their time to ensure we get the best result out of these negotiations...our city back.

People who have waited 2 years...are not going to give up over a few months more of waiting. CoH has a very dedicated core fan base who will come back to the game tomorrow...or December 2015... and those fans will do everything in their power to ensure the continued success of CoH Legacy once it does come back.

I have been following both of the the pertinent threads for a few months now, but I have not posted anything until now.

First, a little background.  I played CoH starting about 10 days after it went live, and stayed until just a few months before it shut down.  It was my first MMO, and even though I tried a few others during the time it was online, I always came back because there was just no substitute!  My son started playing when he was 8, and by the end, I was asking him questions about all the new features!  I think I can honestly say that we both miss the game, and WILL be back as soon as it becomes available again!

If I have a gripe about the efforts to make that happen, it is this.  While I realize that NCSoft has the right to do this however they wish, up to, and including not doing it all; I have to wonder about the wisdom of their slow, methodical approach in this particular endeavor.  The phrase "Strike while the iron is hot" comes to mind.  In this case, the time they are taking to finalize an agreement, and the lack of any encouraging news adds up to a daily diminishing value for the property.  Because, let's face it - that value is now directly tied to remaining interest in the game.  That interest will continue to wane as the months go by if there is not more than "no news is good news", and "have faith" to offer.  It is human nature. 

Bottom line:  NCSoft has the right to handle this any damned way they please, and they have demonstrated that is exactly what they intend to do.  I personally think that this approach is counter intuitive, and counter productive when dealing with a game that has been out of the mainstream for over two years.  I can only hope that WHEN this does finally get off the ground, that the community has not diminished to the point where long term viability will be questionable.  In the end, it matters little what I, or anyone else thinks about the state of this process, but since this is a discussion forum, and this is the topic at hand.....I am jumping into the discussion!  Now that I am all caught up to everyone else, in so much as bitching about the glacial pace of things, I will continue to check back periodically in the hopes of seeing good news.

BTW, I apologize for the lousy avatar.  It was all I could find on short notice that was CoH related.  I know it is way too small to see, but it is a screen shot of one of my many characters (Mastermind) at the exact moment when he hit level 50.  I will be looking around for something more fitting.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #13724 on: December 19, 2014, 08:47:36 AM »
People who have waited 2 years...are not going to give up over a few months more of waiting. CoH has a very dedicated core fan base who will come back to the game tomorrow...or December 2015... and those fans will do everything in their power to ensure the continued success of CoH Legacy once it does come back

I agree 100%, I don't see interest waning anytime soon. If interest was going to wane at all. It would of waned 60 months after closing, a year after closing. Here we are two years later and there's a deal on the table.

What more could anyone ask for?

I can wait another year, 2 years, 3 and more. I don't care how long it takes, I just want the game back.

I'll repeat the advice that has been given to anyone who is getting anxious about the deal. Find something constructive to do with your free time, for the time being. Me personally, I'm still looking for my virtual summer home, building characters in mids, buying games for dirt cheap on steam that I'll get to eventually..... and watching old CoH farming videos.

That might not of came out the way I intended it (10 hour shift on 5 hours sleep).

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #13725 on: December 19, 2014, 08:58:19 AM »

Pretty sure ya meant... 6 months not 60 ;)

I agree 100%, I don't see interest waning anytime soon. If interest was going to wane at all. It would of waned 60 months after closing, a year after closing. Here we are two years later and there's a deal on the table.

What more could anyone ask for?

I can wait another year, 2 years, 3 and more. I don't care how long it takes, I just want the game back.

I'll repeat the advice that has been given to anyone who is getting anxious about the deal. Find something constructive to do with your free time, for the time being. Me personally, I'm still looking for my virtual summer home, building characters in mids, buying games for dirt cheap on steam that I'll get to eventually..... and watching old CoH farming videos.

That might not of came out the way I intended it (10 hour shift on 5 hours sleep).

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13726 on: December 19, 2014, 09:06:05 AM »
The ONLY way we'll never see CoH again is if we give up.

Take care. :)
That's sig-worthy!   I love it.

This is only a thing because of various people who refused to give up.   While many were urging former CoH players to "move on", some simply did not have that in them.   Some might call them "stubborn", some might call them "foolish"....but foolish stubborn people accomplish most of the great things in this world.   That's how you get light bulbs, airplanes, and a Firefly movie.
It is not about money... it is about dealing with a Korean business culture.
This is something I thought about the other day when I read some speculation in one of these threads about the holidays perhaps slowing down the process.    I immediately wondered...."If this is proceeding at a Korean pace according to their culture and standards, why would the holidays be a factor?"   Are the holidays even a thing in Korea?
Seeing your Avatar reminds me of some of the ways I would get some of my alts to 50 as time passed in the game.

When they added in the restoration of health/stamina and buffed with all inspirations when you leveled up, when I was L49.9 and close to hitting 50, I'd shut off XP gain, then when I was teamed with some pals I'd let myself get taken down, reactivate XP and in a bout a minute I'd rez as a 50, quickly reactivate all powers and start pulverizing the enemy.

A couple of characters I finished getting to 50 via badging.  Getting a map badge was about 1000xp at that point so when I was about 10,000xp away I'd grab some map badges then make sure when I needed one left, I'd activate walk and stroll up to the badge.
I love the creativity of the CoH fanbase!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13727 on: December 19, 2014, 09:24:13 AM »
We need to remember something throughout all this. Us *seeing* nothing happening, is not the same as there *being* nothing happening. And our frustration over waiting, is not the same as the deal going poorly.

The people involved in this deal want to make it happen. They're doing their best to make it happen. We can't *see* it, but that doesn't change a single thing. It's still happening.

Our frustration and anxiety are certainly understandable, but they don't help us one little bit. All the doubt in the world isn't going to improve the outcome in the slightest. But one thing it definitely *is* doing, is making the wait really difficult. If you can let go of all that, you should. It's healthier.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13728 on: December 19, 2014, 09:36:46 AM »
This is something I thought about the other day when I read some speculation in one of these threads about the holidays perhaps slowing down the process.    I immediately wondered...."If this is proceeding at a Korean pace according to their culture and standards, why would the holidays be a factor?"   Are the holidays even a thing in Korea?
Uh, there are Christians in Korea (a huge number, like a third of the population). There are Christians pretty much everywhere. That was sort of the whole basis of sustaining the religion.

South Korea recognizes Christmas as a national holiday.

And besides that whole "religion" thing, Christmas isn't a religious holiday for a large number of people (including a huge number here in the States). Secular Christmas is huge in Korea. It's morphed into a ... festive, colorful Valentine's Day sort of weird conglomo-holiday. Korean trendy couples love to dress up, sing crazy holiday k-pop crap, they love lights and festivities, the whole works.

Seoul for Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:43:30 AM by Aggelakis »
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #13729 on: December 19, 2014, 11:44:10 AM »
Uh, there are Christians in Korea (a huge number, like a third of the population). There are Christians pretty much everywhere. That was sort of the whole basis of sustaining the religion.

And besides that whole "religion" thing, Christmas isn't a religious holiday for a large number of people (including a huge number here in the States). Secular Christmas is huge in Korea. It's morphed into a ... festive, colorful Valentine's Day sort of weird conglomo-holiday. Korean trendy couples love to dress up, sing crazy holiday k-pop crap, they love lights and festivities, the whole works.

Seoul for Christmas.

I admit it... seeing that photo I was scanning for the Giza so I could go gamble and hit on Ice Mistral.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #13730 on: December 19, 2014, 01:01:12 PM »

Seoul for Christmas.

That's more thorough decoration than we see here in the States!

It also look like that picture was taken during rush hour. I would NOT want to be driving in that hoard of oncoming traffic.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #13731 on: December 19, 2014, 01:20:17 PM »
... One of those main factors is "testing" the product before the new devs agree to a final deal. You see this isn't a simple transaction... code never is. So here is how the process goes in situations like this:

1. Initial talks... usually taking a month to 3 months.
2. Initial proposals... usually 2 to 3 months.
3. Intermediate proposals..usually 1-2 months.
4. Validation of product...this can take 2-3 months depending on the state of the disk image provided as well as the resources of the buyers.
5. Final negotiations... another 1-2 months...

Roughly... a year.

We are currently at the 9 month mark in this process. I'm not saying coming mid February 2015 there will be an announcement. What I am saying is that I do not expect any type of real announcement until at least mid February 2015.

Thank you for that perspective -- the months of news blackout after "Okay, August closing didn't happen but I'm Nate this is Irish Girl -- if it happens, it will happen, when it happens" has been remarkably difficult. 

I can certainly understand that demonstrating working operation of the "disk image" would be necessary before signing off on a final deal to lease it -- and based on what we've heard of the mechanics behind the city, I can easily imagine that taking months of effort by itself... quite aside from all the other issues of deal finalization.

I'd like to graciously volunteer to help with play testing that disk image, you know... for verification... but I'm reasonably sure the team has no difficulty finding at least SOME people willing to do that more capably than I could  :D
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13732 on: December 19, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »
What happened in August was NCSoft saying - so you want to run a game do you? Prove it.

Then they proved it at least to NCSoft's satisfaction. Since then it is the slow dance of lawyers and acquisition, that if you are an intelligent business you do not want to rush. Get everything in writing on bth sides so there are no ambushes after the deal.

You want the game up and working at least minimally so you know it is viable and you want to make sure all of NCSoft's conditions are met. On NCSoft's side - they do not want to look bad - in fact I can bet they will use this as a marketing spin - we love our gamers so much we found a way to bring an old favorite back.

You know what, good on them if they do - what we have done may possibly open doors for other people trying to get their games back to life and if it does all of you out there who by your own persistance in staying around - made this happen. If there were no players - we would never have had an effort. When you are in the hot seat trying to get the work done you can literally feel the will of this community pushing you on. It is both a frightening thing and an uplifting thing.

I don't see the time period as too long. NCSoft did not seriously engage until August. We started in March. So while we have been working on how to get this done since March, NCSoft wasn't free to make the deal until August.

August
September
October
November
December

5 months so far for active dealing and getting the game sorted out really isn't too bad.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13733 on: December 19, 2014, 08:10:57 PM »
I don't see the time period as too long. NCSoft did not seriously engage until August. We started in March. So while we have been working on how to get this done since March, NCSoft wasn't free to make the deal until August.

August
September
October
November
December

5 months so far for active dealing and getting the game sorted out really isn't too bad.

I didn't know NCsoft didn't engage the deal until August. I didn't know NCsoft wasn't available back in March. I thought the deal started in March.... So..... what was the team was doing from March to July? Since you simplified it, it's been 5 months so far like you said. No wonder why everybody in the community is very anxious and asking why it's taking too long. I just hope it won't take TOO LONG than I would expect it to be. Just saying.... 

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13734 on: December 19, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »
I will check my emails and stuff - it may have been an internal one between Nate and me and I assumed everyone knew!

Checking for my source - I did save everything.

microc

• Boss
« Reply #13735 on: December 19, 2014, 09:17:27 PM »
dev7on took the team a few months to find the right people at ncsoft to talk to to start the talks.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13736 on: December 19, 2014, 09:19:58 PM »
What happened in August was NCSoft saying - so you want to run a game do you? Prove it.

Then they proved it at least to NCSoft's satisfaction. Since then it is the slow dance of lawyers and acquisition, that if you are an intelligent business you do not want to rush. Get everything in writing on bth sides so there are no ambushes after the deal.

You want the game up and working at least minimally so you know it is viable and you want to make sure all of NCSoft's conditions are met. On NCSoft's side - they do not want to look bad - in fact I can bet they will use this as a marketing spin - we love our gamers so much we found a way to bring an old favorite back.

You know what, good on them if they do - what we have done may possibly open doors for other people trying to get their games back to life and if it does all of you out there who by your own persistance in staying around - made this happen. If there were no players - we would never have had an effort. When you are in the hot seat trying to get the work done you can literally feel the will of this community pushing you on. It is both a frightening thing and an uplifting thing.

August
September
October
November
December

hmm, it's possible that this wait period is related to a business calender, in a worst case scenario they might not have time to finalize the deal till the next break in their schedule which would be next august if this year was any prediction.

There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13737 on: December 19, 2014, 09:28:47 PM »
dev7on took the team a few months to find the right people at ncsoft to talk to to start the talks.
Not exactly, they were able to contact NCSoft in September of 2013. But it was not for the deal now - it was to buy everything Paragon Studios had and they were told NCSoft had no intention of selling it all.

They did not have the inner contact at that time because they were told no at step one.

Then in March we started clearing up some misconceptions and floated the idea of separating things out. Not buying everything just enough to run the game. They found the internal person and were introduced formally via a 3rd party as is their custom in such affairs.

Then they were told to basically sit tight for we have a bunch of other projects - hmm Wildstar - happening and they would not be free until August. The first thing they asked for in August was the proof of competence. Then when it was provided - things moved forward.  Once Nate has arranged for the Holding Company to purchase the product and to lease the IP - he will be like me - a sideline cheerleader and we will have a new team to harrass - errr....pester...err greet and thank!

If this was not common knowledge please excuse me. I was caught up between emails, texts and messages here on the boards.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #13738 on: December 19, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »
Curiouser and curiouser...
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Zerohour

• Lieutenant
  • Trapped in the Speed Force
« Reply #13739 on: December 20, 2014, 01:44:09 AM »
Wow,  haven't checked this thread in a long time.  Kinda expected to see some news by now. 

No need to tell me how long these things take.  I have seen I'm not the only impatient player lurking around here lol