Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7209950 times)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13600 on: December 04, 2014, 10:23:51 PM »
I managed two level shifts on Agent Standin while running around in Dark Astoria. I also unlocked my fourth and fifth incarnate slots in Dark Astoria on the same character. Mainly, because I seriously do not like large raids. I never participated in a Hami raid, and only did one Rikti Mothership raid just for the stupid badge they placed under the shield, just so I could unlock the beacon for the RWZ.

I much prefer doing missions with my small group of friends. Which the solo path for incarnates allowed.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #13601 on: December 04, 2014, 11:30:06 PM »
Anyone saying the solo path for incarnates was viable is hopelessly clueless or just wants to keep anyone from ever making any progress on the incarnate path entirely.  When you actually look at how slow the reward gains were you'd be rather surprised, shocked and disappointed.  I think the max was one empyrean merit per week, so thats over 8 weeks for a rare component not to mention the thread drop rate was way to slow.  You needed 60 threads for a tier ONE abilities and many more for a tier 2, so it was outright impractical to do so.  If we get the game back i'd recommend first thing to patch was the solo path, make it a bit more viable if possible.

Edit: Made my post a little less hostile towards those who think the solo path was doable.  Will add this though;

When the Itrials reward 100x more in only 30 minutes to an hour than a solo path somethings off :S.

They were planning on adding more solo content for solo incarnate so that it would be possible to do more than one a week. Still, they wouldn't make it too attractive.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13602 on: December 04, 2014, 11:33:30 PM »
I managed two level shifts on Agent Standin while running around in Dark Astoria. I also unlocked my fourth and fifth incarnate slots in Dark Astoria on the same character. Mainly, because I seriously do not like large raids. I never participated in a Hami raid, and only did one Rikti Mothership raid just for the stupid badge they placed under the shield, just so I could unlock the beacon for the RWZ.

I much prefer doing missions with my small group of friends. Which the solo path for incarnates allowed.

Best way I found to get the badge on the ship in RWZ was if a raid was running, I'd hover over the center of the ship, then when the shield dropped, I'd fly/divebomb to the badge then take off as fast as I could, all while under maximum stealth possible and some purple insps running for extra def.

I was in about 5 hami raids total, all wins, but just not that fun overall for me.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #13603 on: December 05, 2014, 05:46:58 AM »
The problem there is if you give too much reward for the solo path....you ruin the chances for league play for the ITrials.  I know many who did not do ITrials because of the time invested and the more complicated mechanics of the missions.  But if you can get the same rewards for solo content as for team play it is just going to make it harder to form teams.  I think solo play is fine for adding additional rewards above and beyond team play but should not replace team play.  I had no issues with solo rewards as it was.

For me the ITrial leagues were nearly impossible. I am not really all that social to begin with, stick me in a huge crowd, which causes massive lag, and my social skills and personal cool devolve even further. About the time my screen starts spazzing out and displaying at 20-30 frames a minute during the big fights, there is no way for me to help or barely even know if my toon is still standing, much less targeting anything. And I know that I am not the only one who had those bad experiences. I and those like me, need a reasonable solo or small team incarnate path to be able to get any joy out of the experience, to be able to complete the experience. . .
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Ban-Sidhe

• Underling
« Reply #13604 on: December 05, 2014, 10:40:22 AM »
Best way I found to get the badge on the ship in RWZ was if a raid was running, I'd hover over the center of the ship, then when the shield dropped, I'd fly/divebomb to the badge then take off as fast as I could, all while under maximum stealth possible and some purple insps running for extra def.

I was in about 5 hami raids total, all wins, but just not that fun overall for me.

I will admit to this shameful act as well. But I did do the mothership raid afterwards, and it was a lot of fun. Excluding the occasional face-plant. 😉

Blackgrue

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13605 on: December 05, 2014, 11:00:25 AM »
So there's been no news for a while, so let's fire up the ol' rumor mill.

*WHIIIIIIIR*

There's no news because NCSoft has them all under NDAs and are threatening to destroy the earth with their "Sunset Laser" if anyone dares to break it!
Virtue native

Main characters:
Diz the Goblin
Projekt Redstorm

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #13606 on: December 05, 2014, 01:24:24 PM »
Ooooh!  Ooooh!  Look at the Shiny Red Button!

Can I push it?  Can I?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13607 on: December 05, 2014, 02:18:05 PM »
So there's been no news for a while, so let's fire up the ol' rumor mill.

*WHIIIIIIIR*

There's no news because NCSoft has them all under NDAs and are threatening to destroy the earth with their "Sunset Laser" if anyone dares to break it!

I have information from a good source that NCSoft is a Nemesis plot.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #13608 on: December 05, 2014, 02:37:22 PM »
I have information from a good source that NCSoft is a Nemesis plot.

Nemesis Conspiracy Software?   That explains a lot.

umber

• Boss
    • My CoH Characters
« Reply #13609 on: December 05, 2014, 04:12:40 PM »
Personally I'm having trouble remembering Incarnate details.  Dunno if the addition to the game was too short to be permanently burned into ROM, can remember hunting werewolves for the badge 8 years ago but can barely remember the trials or power details at all.  And I know I had at least four characters completely kitted out and easily a dozen others well on their way.

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #13610 on: December 05, 2014, 05:46:17 PM »
Personally I'm having trouble remembering Incarnate details.  Dunno if the addition to the game was too short to be permanently burned into ROM, can remember hunting werewolves for the badge 8 years ago but can barely remember the trials or power details at all.  And I know I had at least four characters completely kitted out and easily a dozen others well on their way.

*points and screams* 

Um!  Not you, too!

I remember most of them.  I didn't get to run that many of the Mother of Mercy trials, so that's fuzzy. 

But I spent many times running the Lambda and BAF.  Of course, I'm also the guy that took damage during the prisoner escape portion of the BAF...

Beware the mighty faceplant!

drmanbot

• Minion
« Reply #13611 on: December 05, 2014, 07:24:49 PM »
I was very fond of the Itrials. as a nutball badger, the hardest badge for me EVER to acquire was "avoids the green stuff" as part of the positron trial.

I made a great deal of online pals running that one constantly until we finally did it. It also allowed me the opportunity to lead groups in the other trials and guide people, so there's there's that

Sad note, exactly 1 week after I got that badge they announced the game was shutting down. I felt somehow, my getting that badge shifted Karma in some way to punish me.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13612 on: December 05, 2014, 07:25:43 PM »
I used to use my sonic/ice blaster to slow all the prisoners down.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13613 on: December 05, 2014, 07:52:40 PM »

I liked to stack temporal distortion fields in key points on my time manipulation characters.  Often I could keep 3 out at all times, it was then a matter of destroying the fast ones with my superior firepower and to-hit ratings.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13614 on: December 05, 2014, 08:18:58 PM »

I'd plant a Bonfire in their path.  They'd be KB, stand, look confused, then run into the Bonfire again.  Ah well.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

umber

• Boss
    • My CoH Characters
« Reply #13615 on: December 05, 2014, 08:47:57 PM »
I was very fond of the Itrials. as a nutball badger, the hardest badge for me EVER to acquire was "avoids the green stuff" as part of the positron trial.

The Trial badges are what finally broke my casual-badge collecting.

Oh, I had pretty much every badge when the Trials first popped up, "casual" seems a little odd even to my ears, I wasn't an obsessive collector but after being around since the game launched and playing quite a lot... it reminds me of that scene in GroundHog Day:

Phil: Well maybe the *real* God uses tricks, you know? Maybe he's not omnipotent. He's just been around so long he knows everything.

I never saw myself as being particularly good at badge-hunting, I just had an awesome SG to run with and had been around long enough that picking up a badge now and then added up.  When you can't sleep and you're online at 5am, what else is there to do *but* grind those crafting badges?  Go pick off a Contaminated in Recluses Victory?

I never cared for the Master badges though.  I ran with a great SG that was probably too good for me and was lucky enough to assist on multiple Master runs.  Conceptually I abhorred those badges, the notion of a person's badge progress being determined by a different player's skill or simply being lucky enough to run with the right crowd never set well with me.  It didn't matter that I came out on the plus side of that equation, I knew it was negatively impacting other badgers who might not be so lucky so it constantly grated.

Then I saw badge runs during Trials being deliberately griefed, or failed over a momentary network hiccup, or Real Life (tm) taking priority at the Wrong Time.  When you have 32 people cooperating the odds of any one of those 32 having (being) a problem at any one time goes way up compared to 8-man teams.

Realized I couldn't support badging anymore, just wasn't for me.  More to the point, the Trials forced to the surface that badging never really was for me  to begin with.  Removed all the badge-tracking stuff and just played the game until the doors closed. 

Reaper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13616 on: December 05, 2014, 08:50:33 PM »

My Plant/Storm troller used to eat through them rather quickly.  It was one of the most fun characters to use during the prisoner escape (at least in my opinion  ;D).
Patiently lurking from the shadows...

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #13617 on: December 05, 2014, 09:11:19 PM »

You lasted a lot longer than I did. I got the game in '05, around Issue 5 coming out... I went for all the exploration badges, as part of my quest to get all the badges, but the TF badges did me in pretty quickly. I realized there was no way for me to actually commit to all the time / energy for those, and consciously stopped my desire to get every single badge.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #13618 on: December 05, 2014, 09:53:06 PM »
Badges, mmmmgooood.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13619 on: December 05, 2014, 10:32:51 PM »

Oh, I had pretty much every badge when the Trials first popped up, "casual" seems a little odd even to my ears, I wasn't an obsessive collector but after being around since the game launched and playing quite a lot... it reminds me of that scene in GroundHog Day:

Phil: Well maybe the *real* God uses tricks, you know? Maybe he's not omnipotent. He's just been around so long he knows everything.

I never saw myself as being particularly good at badge-hunting, I just had an awesome SG to run with and had been around long enough that picking up a badge now and then added up.  When you can't sleep and you're online at 5am, what else is there to do *but* grind those crafting badges?  Go pick off a Contaminated in Recluses Victory?

I never cared for the Master badges though.  I ran with a great SG that was probably too good for me and was lucky enough to assist on multiple Master runs.  Conceptually I abhorred those badges, the notion of a person's badge progress being determined by a different player's skill or simply being lucky enough to run with the right crowd never set well with me.  It didn't matter that I came out on the plus side of that equation, I knew it was negatively impacting other badgers who might not be so lucky so it constantly grated.

Then I saw badge runs during Trials being deliberately griefed, or failed over a momentary network hiccup, or Real Life (tm) taking priority at the Wrong Time.  When you have 32 people cooperating the odds of any one of those 32 having (being) a problem at any one time goes way up compared to 8-man teams.

Realized I couldn't support badging anymore, just wasn't for me.  More to the point, the Trials forced to the surface that badging never really was for me  to begin with.  Removed all the badge-tracking stuff and just played the game until the doors closed.

I was never a badge hunter myself, I would sometimes get some badges, but I didn't particularly enjoy getting the tricky ones.  Honestly the ITrial badges to me, a good number of them are fake difficulty as your expected to do things in a total nonsense manner.  And I felt they encouraged elitism and general bigotry elitists eventually allow to cloud their judgement and begin imposing the catch 22 rules that can be near fatal to any community.  I felt I was only seeing the beginning when I saw the, thankfully rare, BAF trial being formed with +3 as a requirement.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.