Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7294635 times)

darkgob

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13160 on: November 19, 2014, 10:01:51 PM »

YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

GENE RAY - SMARTEST HUMAN

robo40

• Minion
« Reply #13161 on: November 19, 2014, 10:21:14 PM »

Back to CoH news, the mad scientist within me is still tinkering in MIDS, generating new build ideas in anticipation of the game's return.

This.  Speaks volumes about the game.  My 6 year old daughter keeps bugging me to make costumes in Icon and let her fly around the city.  Should have seen her when she discovered the portal.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13162 on: November 19, 2014, 10:24:49 PM »
The Earth is not a cube -- its is roughly speaking a semi flattened spheroid.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblate_spheroid  Check NASA for further references.  I'll take my $1000 as a COH VIP registration.   8)

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13163 on: November 19, 2014, 10:40:18 PM »
The Earth is not a cube -- its is roughly speaking a semi flattened spheroid.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblate_spheroid  Check NASA for further references.  I'll take my $1000 as a COH VIP registration.   8)

ACADEMIA IS PROGRESSION OF IGNORANCE

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13164 on: November 19, 2014, 10:52:06 PM »

microc

• Boss
« Reply #13165 on: November 19, 2014, 11:08:45 PM »

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13166 on: November 19, 2014, 11:14:16 PM »
this happens when cloud gets full.
http://nypost.com/2014/11/19/buffalo-chills-bring-massive-snowfall/

Oh come on man I just came in here from watching the news about that stuff LOL.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13167 on: November 19, 2014, 11:19:52 PM »
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

How can a chatterbot be the smartest human?

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #13168 on: November 19, 2014, 11:41:41 PM »

Sometimes i'm not sure if some posters are really that far off in their model of reality or if they're taking the piss. Then i remember so many other threads and posts with assertions that bore at best a vague resemblance (if you squint really hard and bang your head into the desk repeatedly) to how things actually work and i sadly conclude it's not an odd, somewhat unfunny joke.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #13169 on: November 20, 2014, 12:14:40 AM »
Sometimes i'm not sure if some posters are really that far off in their model of reality or if they're taking the piss. Then i remember so many other threads and posts with assertions that bore at best a vague resemblance (if you squint really hard and bang your head into the desk repeatedly) to how things actually work and i sadly conclude it's not an odd, somewhat unfunny joke.

I think it's safe to assume sarcasm on Codewalker's part.
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13170 on: November 20, 2014, 01:13:33 AM »

Psst -- I don't think Codewalker was the subject of that post.  ;)

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13171 on: November 20, 2014, 09:59:31 AM »

And (assuming I got it correct) since I ended my post with a Civilization reference, you might be safe in thinking sarcasm on my end.

I mean we all know the earth is really flat... I've seen the maps. 
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13172 on: November 20, 2014, 10:14:01 AM »
And (assuming I got it correct) since I ended my post with a Civilization reference, you might be safe in thinking sarcasm on my end.

I mean we all know the earth is really flat... I've seen the maps.

I agree, the color purple is nice.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13173 on: November 20, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

1: the earth is in motion and there are no defined hemispheres except north and south which travel at the same pace int he same direction so by the cube theory you could technically say there's 1 day for each logitudinal country (aka time zones).

2: days are a concept of time, the recording of time was created by man, therefore man defines how it is recorded.

3: the daylight actually doesn't move, because it is projected from the sun which is stationary, it's earth that moves so the position of the daylight is technically changing only with our revolution around the sun so technically there are only a few set different solar days (365) a year as the angle of the projected day changes in accordance to our revolution around the sun, and our rotation doesn't change the fact that it is still the same solar day.

the cube theory is a concept of 'man created time' and is not relevant to true solar time.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:44:03 PM by Joshex »
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #13174 on: November 20, 2014, 02:44:25 PM »
Firstly.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing .  Your talking lots, and lots of servers/computers sharing resources acting as one central server/network directly over the internet.  It's not just storing on someone elses server, but lots, and lots, of servers.

Except that's not cloud computing. Lots of servers sharing resources is clustering. Dynamically distributing load to clusters is part of what virtualization offers, along with fast provisioning (cloning) to scale to accommodate load. The industry has been doing all of those for much longer than the term 'Cloud' has been in vogue.

I find that wikipedia article amusing because it has a lot of self-referential terminology that describes the idea of 'cloud computing', but little to no details on how it's actually implemented. The concept is as nebulous as the name implies, and to those of us who actually work with the technologies every day it's nothing more than a pointless marketing catchphrase. Especially when people talk about 'private cloud', I scratch my head and say... "Uh, you mean datacenter? Yeah, we've got one of those."

Though, to be accurate, you can't unconditionally state that cloud services are all hosted on clusters of many servers. You don't know that, you can't know that, the whole point of 'cloud' is that you don't care. A cloud provider sells (well, leases) you a service. That service might be hosted on a state of the art geographically distributed cluster of hundreds of servers. Or it might be on a single Dell in a closet because you're the only subscriber for that service. It's up to the provider to figure out what technology to use to meet the requirements they promised as part of the service. That's why I say that 'cloud' is merely a politically correct synonym for 'outsourcing'.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:44:13 PM by Codewalker »

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #13175 on: November 20, 2014, 03:31:13 PM »
Rows and flows of angel hair
 And ice cream castles in the air
 And feather canyons everywhere
 I've looked at clouds that way

But now they only block the sun
 They rain and snow on everyone
 So many things I would have done
 But clouds got in my way

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
 From up and down, and still somehow
 It's cloud illusions I recall
 I really don't know clouds at all
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13176 on: November 20, 2014, 04:01:46 PM »

But clouds got in my way

ROFLMAO

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #13177 on: November 20, 2014, 04:21:26 PM »

But clouds got in my way

Absolutely BRILLIANT!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:28:40 PM by makjwalton »
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13178 on: November 20, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
3: the daylight actually doesn't move, because it is projected from the sun which is stationary, it's earth that moves so the position of the daylight is technically changing only with our revolution around the sun so technically there are only a few set different solar days (365) a year as the angle of the projected day changes in accordance to our revolution around the sun, and our rotation doesn't change the fact that it is still the same solar day.

the cube theory is a concept of 'man created time' and is not relevant to true solar time.
The sun does move. The earth moves, the moon moves, all the planets in the solar system move and on top of all of that our solar system moves with our galaxy and it moves within a far vaster galaxy which also moves in reference to all the other galaxies.

The universe isn't static and we live near a variable star. Hence the reason from the late 1970's until 1997 the planet got warmer. Since 1998 we have been in a solar minimum above and beyond the normal 11 year cycle. In 2009 we had a period of 260 days without a single sunspot. That year the planets atmosphere collapsed 46% - this then caused several year of turbulent weather when it expanded back out in 2010 / 2011.

I have studied astronomy now since I was 9 - so 46 years. I am an amateur but it doesn't mean i don't understand how it all works. The thing I worry about is not global warming it is the prolonged affect of the cooling we are now facing. Getting January weather in Novenmber is not good, I say looking out my window at 6 inches of lake effect snow and also to the lake Erie area where they have 6+ FEET of lake effect snow.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13179 on: November 20, 2014, 04:53:50 PM »
I seem to remember the inventors of "the cloud" started with cloud hosting, they interviewed them recently in the last year, they said at first there was a lot of people who thought it was the holy grail to solve server storage issues in which they describe how the program they developed bounced things back and forth between servers till they settle on the lines in between using the wires as a physical storage medium.

They talked about how at first a lot of people were offering free cloud storage and trying to encourage the use of it for computer back-up purposes.

Shortly after they were astounded at how fast the wires started to fill up with data, hence the creation of algorithms being needed to get it off the wires as the polarities of the data created restrictions as to what order they could remove one segment of data, often having to pull other data off first to retrieve it. The result was that now it's not free any more from those companies, and the ones that still sell free cloud storage for back-ups are ignorant to the ill effects.

So in this model what is stored on the server? the start and end positions of the packets of data that make up files which takes up only 10% of the space that storing an entire file would.

maybe people are misusing the word "cloud" when it comes to cloud gaming.

Cloud means the data is NOT hosted on a server at all, only the start and end points of the file's data on the line are stored along with a reference number or file name and a link to whose account owns it.

Why is this not covered on wikipedia? simple because technically;

1: under federal law those internet lines (formerly owned by the feds when the internet was a military operation) are not owned by the companies.
2: under federal law they were released into the public domain when the internet expanded outside pure military use.

therefore any data known to be saved there is not only illegal usage of public mediums by hosting companies but any data is also submitted into the public domain. Both of which the cloud hosting companies refuse to accept (by charging for it and offering security and punishment for hacking) and have not been sued for yet because no ill effects of significant notice have effected the public domain to the public's knowledge.

the ill effects: cluttered cables are responsible for several problems commonly complained about;

internet slowdown; this includes slow access to certain websites, and lag. With all that data on the lines it makes it difficult to transfer additional data through those lines, ending in increased failed transmissions and increased rerouting of data, all of which can be experienced during the average day of an internet user.

internet hick-ups and power spikes; including but not limited to corrupted files, the hick-ups can be just a DNS issue (but those are rare), in some cases they are related to cloud storage where the lines from you to your ISP are full of Data leaving only a small bit open which is taken by another user or currently being used by a cloud server for the bounce back operation to store more data. Power spikes and corrupt files can happen due to cloud storage because the electrons don't always stay put on the line! if a sitting electron is introduced to a steady stream of packets with varying polarities of electrons it may pick-up and follow them causing shock (cause it wont just be one electron) or a corrupt file if your computer does not know the full packet size or full file size (unknown file size) it takes the extra electrons as data to add to the packet or file and when things don't match up gives you an error.

Lastly, coming soon to the world near you, hey that's earth!;

The Big Data Crash; as Data on the lines sits for long enough without being refreshed (accessed) the polarity of one electron may turn into the polarities of electrons around it causing all the files stored this way to become corrupt and irretrievable becoming stagnant blots on the wires. If there is anyone relying on cloud storage for the operations of a business or their life records, medical records, federal records, school records ETC. Then they will suffer significant irreplaceable data loss and will only find out about it later when they go to access old records hosted on the cloud. Not done Yet! as cliud storage continues eventually all the wires in the public domain will be nearing full, causing extremely slow internet and special programs being needed just to navigate a packet through the wires to it's destination.

The sun does move. The earth moves, the moon moves, all the planets in the solar system move and on top of all of that our solar system moves with our galaxy and it moves within a far vaster galaxy which also moves in reference to all the other galaxies.

The universe isn't static and we live near a variable star. Hence the reason from the late 1970's until 1997 the planet got warmer. Since 1998 we have been in a solar minimum above and beyond the normal 11 year cycle. In 2009 we had a period of 260 days without a single sunspot. That year the planets atmosphere collapsed 46% - this then caused several year of turbulent weather when it expanded back out in 2010 / 2011.

I have studied astronomy now since I was 9 - so 46 years. I am an amateur but it doesn't mean i don't understand how it all works. The thing I worry about is not global warming it is the prolonged affect of the cooling we are now facing. Getting January weather in Novenmber is not good, I say looking out my window at 6 inches of lake effect snow and also to the lake Erie area where they have 6+ FEET of lake effect snow.

it wobbles in relation to our solar system, it moves in relation to our galaxy, and our galaxy moves in relation to our universe. but that doesn't effect the time On Earth in relation to our sun.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.