Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7300096 times)

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #7900 on: July 30, 2014, 04:26:04 PM »
They are working on it. I don't know what the project is and it is likely under NDA. At this stage the only words we will receive will be simple ones. In this type of a deal I would be very surprised if they weren't under an NDA. They may be able to say - project submitted and satisfactory or some such.

It is encouraging that they are still moving forward. Different team this time and they do understand the importance of doing it the NCSoft way.

It really is encouraging to know that they've proceeded as far as a formal due dillegence. At the very least, it sends the message that the group is being taken seriously.
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Cymmetri

• Underling
« Reply #7901 on: July 30, 2014, 05:03:48 PM »
They are working on it. I don't know what the project is and it is likely under NDA. At this stage the only words we will receive will be simple ones. In this type of a deal I would be very surprised if they weren't under an NDA. They may be able to say - project submitted and satisfactory or some such.

It is encouraging that they are still moving forward. Different team this time and they do understand the importance of doing it the NCSoft way.

A candle off in the darkness.
Will it light my way?
Or burn my heart?
 :'(

Wammo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7902 on: July 30, 2014, 05:04:53 PM »
Hello all!

We are one day closer to firing up our characters and flying high again!!!

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #7903 on: July 30, 2014, 05:33:42 PM »
These people displease me... So.... Un-heroic... -shakes head-

-clenches fist- DIRTY VILLAINS!

Y'know, in fairness... if it were  "CoV Back and Available For Download!" as a malware link...

Well, couldn't you have GUESSED
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Without_Pause

• Minion
« Reply #7904 on: July 30, 2014, 06:50:35 PM »
I chuckled at this.

Ah, Champions Online. My pity flows out toward thee, you unbeloved runt of the Cryptic family. Ignored, belittled, and criminally underdeveloped, Champions hasn't even received the same quality of free-to-play adaptation that its other family members have. It also hasn't received a player creation content system that the other titles have with the Foundry. Oh, sure, it's been talked about, but considering that the Champs team most likely consists of one part-timer, a cardboard cutout of Leonardo DiCaprio, and a terribly depressed hamster, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Source

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7905 on: July 30, 2014, 07:31:14 PM »
I chuckled at this.

Ah, Champions Online. My pity flows out toward thee, you unbeloved runt of the Cryptic family. Ignored, belittled, and criminally underdeveloped, Champions hasn't even received the same quality of free-to-play adaptation that its other family members have. It also hasn't received a player creation content system that the other titles have with the Foundry. Oh, sure, it's been talked about, but considering that the Champs team most likely consists of one part-timer, a cardboard cutout of Leonardo DiCaprio, and a terribly depressed hamster, I wouldn't hold your breath.

I wouldn't hold anyone's breath but my own. But then, maybe I'm just strange.

And I'd bet that the DeCaprio cutout isn't even life-sized. CO may as well be in actual maintenance mode; it's about that static. About all that they do is to change the weekly sale item, and run a 2XP weekend every other month or so. I sometimes wonder if I could talk them into transferring my LTS (which I bought pre-launch, when CO had promise) to STO.

CoX just can't come back quickly enough.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #7906 on: July 30, 2014, 07:47:48 PM »
I chuckled at this.

Source
it would be funny if that was not near the truth for champions
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #7907 on: July 30, 2014, 07:51:08 PM »

And I'd bet that the DeCaprio cutout isn't even life-sized. CO may as well be in actual maintenance mode; it's about that static. About all that they do is to change the weekly sale item, and run a 2XP weekend every other month or so. I sometimes wonder if I could talk them into transferring my LTS (which I bought pre-launch, when CO had promise) to STO.

This is my sentiment as well, CO had soo much promise, than as soon as sto launched and cbs was threating to pull the license did cryptic listen and brought sto to where it should have been. Now Co needs almost a complete remake for me to comeback.
Just like you Super, City of can't come back fast enough.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7908 on: July 30, 2014, 08:02:44 PM »

I spoke of my worry about CO last night to the CoX channel there, and whatnot.  Truth is I'm moving on from it either way now, because in a bit more than a month VO is also going pre alpha.  And VO will have a kind of hybrid of CoX's and CO's char system in that, you'll be picking a primary power set and be freeform on the secondaries.  We'll see how it works out but, I really feel an analogy about CO could be made at this point.

CO is the guy in the coop shooter who generally tends to miss with most of his shots and runs around at 20-30% health constantly with only enough armor to survive one or two hits.  He doesn't really contribute much to the team effort any since he's also always out of ammo, but he does sometimes make a small impact, just he never dies, just keeps limping along.  The moment an unlucky amount of splash damage occurs, likely from an ally, turns out to be his ultimate end.  He also was in a coop game with limited lives and only had one life because of his poor performance, so you don't see him get to respawn.  In short, he was out of the game a long time before then.

City of heroes was the guy in that same coop shooter who got a good amount of extra lives, was running around with not only more than the standard health limit but also had near maximum armor all the time with all of the good guns that, when he respawns, sends that glancing rocket by accident.  OR a new guy shows up, also does well, picks up a rocket launcher and accidentally causes a rockets splash to go on a collision course with CO by mistake(most likely CO blundering into the path to begin with).

None of that is intentional, but thats kind of an analogy to CO's life.  It just desparately needed and never got purely due to it's poor performance.  It was below the "losing equilibrium" the entire time.  Theres always a kind of unstable equilibrium in games, coop or otherwise, that dictate that a good player in a game with limited resources will have far more than he needs to win and one who isn't as good will have far less than he needs and to top that off, needs that surplus all the more.  Really poor players will find themselves short of ammo needed for heavy enemies, short of health and armor needed to survive, and generally limp through everything OR just get a resounding game over.

CO was on the far losing end of that, never getting enough funds to get new content it needs, but it's lack of new content keeps it from getting money, so it continues to weaken, waver.  It worries me but, honestly I'm just being the realist with that.  I can see the point the guy made about CO, and I cannot blame him.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #7909 on: July 30, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »
I chuckled at this.

Source

Funny thing is, I thought I could start it up, make a F2P character since all my subbed toons are locked, and try to kill some time with it. Well I killed some time alright... making a character, getting into the game, beating up the test dummies in the training area then shutting the game off. 90% of that time was, of course, making a character... and it was all of maybe an hour.

Great ideas and flexibility in their Creation tools... craptastic game. And hideous aesthetic design.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7910 on: July 30, 2014, 09:11:24 PM »
It was a plot, that you would know about the plot he plotted, so that the plot he plotted around you knowing about his plot would be plotted around the plot he plotted so he could plot your plot on his plot.

Me telling you about the plot he plotted around his plot that you would plot in response to being told about his plot he plotted in anticipation of your plot is also a Nemesis plot.

((Let the Spartacus shenanigans begin.))

*Stands up*

"I'M NEMESIS!"

^

He knows.  Also, my plot for you to tell everyone my plot worked as well.  Although its not my real plot, its merely a plot to distract people from my real plot.  < Also a plot.  The more talking I do the more plots I have to devise.

Zerohour

• Lieutenant
  • Trapped in the Speed Force
« Reply #7911 on: July 30, 2014, 09:32:58 PM »
After hearing about the potential comeback of my beloved CoH, I had to create an account here so I could join the conversation. If this does end up happening, what do you think will happen to player projects like Valiance Online and City of Titans?

frostburn

• Underling
« Reply #7912 on: July 30, 2014, 09:48:30 PM »
As much as I hate to say it I think they'll die pretty quick, but i'll still support and play CoT.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #7913 on: July 30, 2014, 09:52:45 PM »
After hearing about the potential comeback of my beloved CoH, I had to create an account here so I could join the conversation. If this does end up happening, what do you think will happen to player projects like Valiance Online and City of Titans?
I don't think anything will happen to them, vo from last I heard was getting close to the end of alpha stage. And cot could still continue with deving.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #7914 on: July 30, 2014, 09:53:15 PM »

Well, Valiance isn't a "player project" -- it's a commercial project from a small professional studio (that includes CoH players) that saw market opportunity in the closure and developed a version of its partially-completed fantasy MMO into a CoH "spiritual successor" MMO. 

As for what will happen to them, they are not a direct parallel to CoH because of their future setting -- more like "City of Legion of Super Heroes" -- and I, for one, am looking forward to playing a number of Legion homages in that scenario. 

A market that supports something like 6,000 Sword and Sorcery MMO's can support 6 Super-Hero MMO's.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7915 on: July 30, 2014, 09:56:30 PM »
As much as I hate to say it I think they'll die pretty quick, but i'll still support and play CoT.

All indications that I've seen say that they intend to continue the successor projects. (Golden Girl, who posts on this thread, is with the Heroes & Villains project.) I, for one, intend to give any of them that make it online a fair shot, while enjoying CoH again.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Flamazing Sally

• Minion
« Reply #7916 on: July 30, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »
I, for one, intend to give any of them that make it online a fair shot, while enjoying CoH again.

Ditto!!!   ;D

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #7917 on: July 30, 2014, 10:32:41 PM »
A market that supports something like 6,000 Sword and Sorcery MMO's can support 6 Super-Hero MMO's.

Right on! City of Heroes was the first and best poster child of the Super-Hero MMO genre... it looks pitiful now with CO and DCUO alone. And frankly I think CO makes DCUO look bad, a game that is honestly trying it'd damnedest to be interesting. It's way more interesting than CO, even with the condition that you're modeled after established DC characters. That's cool in it's own way.

With City of Titans, Valiance Online, and Heroes & Villains as the young up and comers, they'd be in good company if the game whose demise spurred their creation made a huge comeback to restore some credibility to our little corner of the MMO genre.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #7918 on: July 30, 2014, 10:57:37 PM »
The ability for the industry to support multiple games in one genre doesn't really have a bearing on another genre's saturation point. CoH's inability to really grow its subscriber base in spite of technical excellence and initial lack of direct competition illustrates this. Among tabletop rpgs as well there doesn't seem to be the same level of interest as a whole in super hero based games. Personally, I don't think the market will support more then 1 or 2 independent super MMOs that don't have a big license dragging in fans purely via name recognition.

VO I think has a reasonable chance to stand on its own since it has some future-tech novelty thrown in, but I believe that only one of CoT, H&V, or CoH2 can succeed long term and if all do manage to be completed and present in roughly the same time-frame the split population could very well irreparably damage the profits (and chances for long term survival) of all three. I imagine a scenario where CO continues to limp along indefinitely simply because all reasonably developed competition ended up bankrupt when people couldn't figure out which one to combine their support behind.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:07:24 PM by Serpine »
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #7919 on: July 30, 2014, 11:26:35 PM »
Oh, sure, it's been talked about, but considering that the Champs team most likely consists of one part-timer, a cardboard cutout of Leonardo DiCaprio, and a terribly depressed hamster, I wouldn't hold your breath

To add insult to injury, not even a fresh terribly depressed hamster, just the used up leftovers EQ2 tossed...and we're mighty hard on our hamsters.