Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7291486 times)

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #4460 on: July 10, 2014, 06:41:42 PM »
They would have no incentive to keep it open. In addition the way they handled CO wouldn't have boded well.
CoH was profitable, and had already been making moves to the sort of money strategy PWE favors with those miserable random virtual card pack things (1 in 500 change to get a black dog! Woohoo!). And if you look at their full list of games redundancy isn't to huge an issue for them. So I could have seen them keeping both games around and just expanding the card stuff further... and maybe even adapting that functionality in their other games if it proved as reliable for revenue as the lockboxes apparently are.

Mine won't be split. I'll probably play whichever one I like the best. Glad to try them, but I can serve only one master at a time.
That's exactly what I meant. Part of CoX's success was its uniqueness: We had one place to go if we wanted our fix. If there are three or more games that can provide that, but the pool of players / money to distribute among them remains relatively fixed compared to the old days, then each one will only get a fraction of the available resources: People will pick which horse to back and stick with it more or less. And even if people were somehow playing them all then their time would be split between them in which would make each feel emptier and this turn-off people who like more populated MMOs.

In my case, thanks to nostalgia and likely pressure from my wife, I'll of course side with a relaunched CoX over any successor projects (I already have lifetime on CO so it is resource irrelevant to me now).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 06:53:00 PM by Serpine »
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #4461 on: July 10, 2014, 06:45:07 PM »
Without PWE involvement there could well be "bring back our game" threads like this for CO these days

Not sure 3 people could keep a thread going for that long.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #4462 on: July 10, 2014, 06:47:12 PM »
Yep.

If Freedom and Virtue were "downtown", we were more like the suburbs over on Liberty... Enough people to get things going (and have an absolute blast doing it-), but never SO many players that it felt over-crowded. I also played on Virtue and Union, but Liberty was my favorite.

Like PK, my mains were there and many of my friends were there. It was always my "home base" no matter what I decided to build elsewhere.

I was a Libertine as well! I played generally from 10 PM to 2 AM on weekedays and Sunday afternoons! @MWRuger was my global.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4463 on: July 10, 2014, 06:48:52 PM »

BAZINGA!
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #4464 on: July 10, 2014, 06:51:18 PM »
And our limited funds will be split 3+ ways, meaning in all likelyhood none of the games will get sufficient resources to expand and grow. It sounds just dandy.

CoT is the only contender I have any interest in, and I can afford to run 2 games easy.

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
« Reply #4465 on: July 10, 2014, 06:58:44 PM »
You know, I really liked your jokes better when they used to came with an attached smiley. Without it they come off as a bit mean spirited. I'm sure that is not the intention, but still...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:07:02 PM by Serpine »

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4466 on: July 10, 2014, 07:00:12 PM »
Which is why the owners of CO should have bought out CoH.  Tha would have been the smart business move IMHO.

I wouldn't.  CO's current developers are about as underhanded as it gets.  They are living on nickle-dime operations and they listen to the wrong people regularly.  If CoX was under there care, we'd have a holy trinity grind fest that wouldn't even be recognizable anymore.  All buffs from defenders/corruptors/controllers/masterminds would be nerfed to a very low soft cap or just nerfed from providing say 15% base defense to only 1-2% base defense, resistance buffs from support at's would suffer the same fate.  Crowd control would be made universally into sleep, all debuffs would have their magnitudes nerfed to fraction of power.  It'd be done to make it so healing was the only viable form of support and a flat out requirement for every team.  I wouldn't want that.  They did that to CO, why the hell would I want cryptic north in charge of CoX?

Edit: Thing is, anytime ANYONE AT ALL says something is overpowered, they nerf it to an EXTREME.  Sometimes they'd buff something, but again with an EXTREME extent.  Thats why CO is on life support, it could have been great but the devs did that to it, it makes me cry.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

energizingion

• Minion
« Reply #4467 on: July 10, 2014, 07:01:49 PM »
1.) I don't think that's ever been released.
2.) We won't know until the sale is complete and the person(s) from your first question are revealed.
3.) As it stands, what we do know is there may not be any updates.  Focus would be on CoH2 from what IronWolf has passed on.
4.) I think the CoT developers are the only ones who can answer that question.

:)

Thanks for the answers!

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4468 on: July 10, 2014, 07:02:47 PM »
Well you can look at it slightly differently - it isn't a yes or no that we are looking for right now, we are already given a tentitive yes, or the talks would be over. What is happening is the yes, but we want to see this.........on both sides. If you think about it - if NCSoft was not interested in selling it - then the talks would not have gone through to conditions of sale. It would not be sitting in the hands of the last guy working out the final conditions. Personally I am extremely impressed that this has been moving forward this quickly.

The bold comments are direct communications from the team. I have edited them slightly to remove names and such.

Timeline:
March 6 - I get the information and start working on a way to possibly open source CoH.
March 12 - got letter back from Chris Chung - it showed that is WAS possible to buy the game.
March 13 - the team makes its first contact with me and says this: You are an evil, evil man. I'd given up hope after learning of the tax issue. Now here I am now grinning from ear to ear. Likely going to lead to heartbreak, but damned the torpedos. Full speed ahead.
March 21 - Honestly, we had given up hope. Now, you've given us hope, so we're discussing it.
March 28 - We have been reaching out and putting the proposal together. The concern has been the "Golden Handcuffs" option, being shackled to NCSoft again and having the sword of damocles once again hanging over our heads but this time knowing it is there.
April 5 - Made some headway. Now we know who we need to talk to, and a general idea of price. It is very doable.
April 16 - At the end we'll announce it one way or the other. For now it is just this silly business dance in order to reach [Redacted contact] :)
April 18 - Second studio expresses interest in the game
April 21 - investor expresses interest and is passed to the team
May 1 - third studio expresses interest in the game.
May 21 - I ask how the talks are going and if they are making the team jump through hoops: Stupid. Stupid amounts of hoops, as far as I know. I swear, I have no idea how these guys order milk in the morning.
June 19 - Slow but not dead. Oh god no they are not approachable.
Not a big deal, we were focusing on August anyhow.

June 24 - former paragon Dev contacts me and is forwarded to the team
July 3 - Yesterday, we were directed to the man whose signature is needed.
July 3 - after MY reading WAAAY too much into the first message - Er... we're not days away from anything. We're just now in direct contact, which means we're past another hurdle. We still have at least two months of negotiations left ahead of us, at best. This is where the monsters truly do lie.
July 7 - another investor/studio contacts me and is forwarded to the team

That is the basic timeline. I have had people asking for jobs - a contact from a game site and other questions and such but this is the nuts and bolts of what has happened. I have also been able to read into the situation more because of comments on the board (not just in this thread) from members of the team, even before the purchase effort - what they would like to see from the game. This makes it pretty easy for me to see what kind of people they were and what they want. I don't have a further update but this might help tie you over for a while as to what is happening and to understand in business circles - this is incredibly fast.

So...are you saying that the deal is not going to be done in August? It's going to be done somewhere in September?

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
« Reply #4469 on: July 10, 2014, 07:05:50 PM »
why the hell would I want cryptic north in charge of CoX?
Lack of an alternative? Some people were pinning their CoX hopes on Disney at a point where in some of their online games character names not chosen from a list required an approval process and chat was locked down in fear you might say something to offend the kids. Imagine our game after a few kid-friendly passes.

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4470 on: July 10, 2014, 07:06:17 PM »
So...are you saying that the deal is not going to be done in August? It's going to be done somewhere in September?

Patience Grasshopper.

okami

• Minion
« Reply #4471 on: July 10, 2014, 07:07:28 PM »
BAZINGA!

I hope no one wonders why CO doesn't like CoH people.

It's not like CO has been keeping a part of the CoH community both connected and active or anything, so let's spite our host some more.

Getting the band/community back together is going to be a big part of CoH:Resurrected. I wouldn't go trashing the tools that will facilitate that.

Acanous

• Beef Ingot
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4472 on: July 10, 2014, 07:09:01 PM »
I don't hate on CO players, those guys had things going on while CoH was live. Some of my friends are over there, and it's great having superhero MMOs to go to.

Guild Wars, on the other hand...

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
« Reply #4473 on: July 10, 2014, 07:09:11 PM »
Patience Grasshopper.

MASTER: No, no, we have not even begun upon the path. Ed Gruberman, you
must learn patience.

Ed Gruberman: Yeah yeah yeah, patience. How long will that take?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4474 on: July 10, 2014, 07:10:14 PM »
I am saying they were shooting for August when they spoke to me. After I screwed up and thought in one of the emails they were only days away from closing he corrected me and explained it could be months from July 3. So end of August or there about. It could be faster it could be slower.

That was why I put these out so you would know where I get my numbers and such from. I know saying August folks think that means August 1st. With 2 parties involved it would be hard to set any date until the very end. I am sure they will have a closing signing date.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #4475 on: July 10, 2014, 07:11:05 PM »
I hope no one wonders why CO doesn't like CoH people.

It's not like CO has been keeping a part of the CoH community both connected and active or anything, so let's spite our host some more.

Getting the band/community back together is going to be a big part of CoH:Resurrected. I wouldn't go trashing the tools that will facilitate that.

Not all of us need that. I still have -plenty- of contact, with -all- the people I played and RP'd with in CoH, and I don't have to do it by hanging around in a very poor substitute.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4476 on: July 10, 2014, 07:11:10 PM »
Lack of an alternative? Some people were pinning their CoX hopes on Disney at a point where in some of their online games character names not chosen from a list required an approval process and chat was locked down in fear you might say something to offend the kids. Imagine our game after a few kid-friendly passes.

CoX would sooner be shutdown permanently under cryptic north then.  I'm trying to tell you guys cryptic north is not cryptic, it's not paragon studios.  It's certainly not even eidos montreal or epic games or bethesda or id.  Cryptic north was made exclusively to run CO, and they generally don't do anything right.  Really, imagine CoX where buffs/debuffs/crowd control, where all secondary effects in all melee/blast sets are all nerfed to the point of not making any difference at all?  So everyone would be going fire blast untill they decided to nerf that sets damage, but not  anything else.  Then buffing say, a knock-back less energy blast.  Or better, buffing duel pistols to do 60% more damage then every other powerset in the ENTIRE game while nerfing archery a ton?  YEah, they do stupid things like that with CO.  Every patch, someone leaves :/.

Understand, not bashing CO itself, bashing cryptic north here because they took a game I liked and left it a smoldering ruin.  I like CO, really do, but cryptic north hasn't done it any favors in the long run.  Only good change they made was the vehicles change and even then, made mistakes with it.

Edit: And no, I wouldn't trust disney either.  My arcs wouldn't be viable without allowing for violence as my AE archs tell a story of war and politics, and i'm anti-war.  In other words, expect me to point out the really ugly sides of it.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #4477 on: July 10, 2014, 07:14:02 PM »
You know, I really liked your jokes better when they used to came with an attached smiley. Without it they come off as a bit mean spirited. I'm sure that is not the intention, but still...

Have one now then :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #4478 on: July 10, 2014, 07:16:01 PM »
MASTER: No, no, we have not even begun upon the path. Ed Gruberman, you must learn patience.

Ed Gruberman: Yeah yeah yeah, patience. How long will that take?
MASTER: Time has no meaning. To a true player, a year is as a day.
ED: A YEAR?! I wanna beat Skulls up right now! I got the costume! Hah woo yah ooomm!
MASTER: "Beat Skulls up"...?
ED: Yeah! Just show me all those nifty powers so I can start trashing Hellions! That's all I came here for! YO ASTA STA STA!!! Pretty good, eh?

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #4479 on: July 10, 2014, 07:16:43 PM »

I never saw them as viable because of their long history of suppressing IP that they either don't like or competes with them. In news strip reprint biz they are well known for using a poison pill to kill efforts that while legal they don't like.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!