Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7293669 times)

Sugoi

• Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #3880 on: July 08, 2014, 09:14:57 PM »
The first character I'd rebuild would be my Kinetics / Radiation Blast Defender.
After all, everyone knows that things go (and die) quicker with Kins.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3881 on: July 08, 2014, 09:16:09 PM »

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3882 on: July 08, 2014, 09:16:48 PM »
Of course. And it will be me. Even if I have to take the day off work for it. Because I need my filming character. Granted, it'll take two days to make her a vigilante so she can film both sides of the fence, but nothing's perfect.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
How in the world do you guys do that?

I may need to actually know if I need to remake all my characters.    ;D

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #3883 on: July 08, 2014, 09:17:23 PM »
My computer at home has a vintage 1996 Model M "clicky" keyboard. Played CoH with it from 2004 to when the game shut down. All the keys still work just fine. But the PS/2 connector is starting to get a little wonky.

Tape that bad boy up! Give it some extra support tapering down (so you don't create a new major stress point just past a big wad of tape) and you'll get a bit longer out of it.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #3884 on: July 08, 2014, 09:18:29 PM »
Yep, I wonder how many AE Babies we'll see in the first week? 

One thing that I believe might have kept the game alive was in dropping any levelling experience points from the AE runs.  If people want experience tracking for AE runs, make it a form of Alternate Experience (AE) which counts toward unlocking AE mission items, but wouldn't increase their characters' actual level in the game.  So many people leveled to 50 in AE, but didn't know anything except how to get to that building, and were ineffectual on a team in a real mission due to a total lack of practical in-game combat experience.  Then you'd hear the whine, "Is that all there is to this game?  I'm gonna go play something else!"

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #3885 on: July 08, 2014, 09:18:57 PM »
The first character I'd rebuild would be my Kinetics / Radiation Blast Defender.
After all, everyone knows that things go (and die) quicker with Kins.
I'll have to recreate Tava. My grav/kin who PROUDLY did not have Speed Boost, Inertial Reduction, OR Increased Density. But DAMN could she trans/trans/fulcrum shift like they were going out of style. (Especially with Power Boost on.)

:D

How in the world do you guys do that?
Easy. Hubby on his necro/dark MM that he can play in his sleep, me on my mercs/TA MM that I can play in MY sleep, and any six friends of ours. 12 hours of missions set on +4x8, and voila! :D

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3886 on: July 08, 2014, 09:20:29 PM »
Tape that bad boy up! Give it some extra support tapering down (so you don't create a new major stress point just past a big wad of tape) and you'll get a bit longer out of it.

Or I could open it up and use a cord from another PS/2 keyboard and solder that one in place of the old cord!

Right now tho it's fine as long as I don't touch it, which I rarely do anyway.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3887 on: July 08, 2014, 09:21:01 PM »
Eeeewww. That's my reaction anyways. Things get messy when a studio leaves "official" forums in the hands of a third party. Not to mention that there would some loss of autonomy for the Titan team, which would be bad in the event that the game shut down again.
That does make sense. 

I really wasn't thinking that Titan should turn over the keys to anyone...I just meant...

We are here already...maybe we should just keep using this forum and save the new team at least one headache? (and time)

I do wish I could "like" posts though...for some reason that feels cool to me.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #3888 on: July 08, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »
Some of us by being a PITA, right AlienOne!

Yeah, I suspect that's how Ironwolf got his as well.... Some of us just don't "go away," and as a result...things get hashed out, properly understood, and in Ironwolf's case (I suspect) things get done.

Some of us just won't sit idly by and take no for an answer and be the "yes" men.

Cheers to Ironwolf!

May there be more like him, and less like the type who gives up and accepts status quo like "well, I guess that's just how things are...." :D
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3889 on: July 08, 2014, 09:24:07 PM »
I'll be honest--while I wouldn't begrudge anyone else their right to use a "free level 50" button, I'd never take advantage of it myself. To me, the thing that made a level 50 character significant was that it was the culmination of that character's journey. I'm not saying I never PL'ed, but when I did I always regretted it because it was less time spent building a rapport with that character and developing memories of fun times spent playing them. "Click to be 50" just sounds boring to me. Not saying I'd tell them not to put it in, but I'd never use it.

And honestly, I suspect that they'd never put it in regardless of my input. It seems like a very abusable tool, and one that circumvents playing time. The big worry a developer would have is that someone would login, click their 50, run around a little while at the level cap, and say, "This game is too easy and there's nothing to do" instead of actually going back and playing the game from 1-50. Then they'd quit, and spend all their time on gaming forums whenever CoH is mentioned badmouthing it. That's a scary thing for an MMO, and I think any developer is going to be very leery of it happening. I suspect we'll never see it, even if I'm not personally against it.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3890 on: July 08, 2014, 09:25:45 PM »
I was once the only non-Kinetic player on an 8 man TF with my fire/fire blaster. It was the most amazing thing I had ever done. My nuke was up for every group and I never ran out of endurance. It was this screaming ball of flames everywhere for about 45 minutes. If I died - it got even worse.
Now that's the sort of thing I was getting around to trying.

Did all Controller teams all the time.....that's crazy fun.   Did all Rad teams too.   Never did all Kin...with a Blaster to buff?  Wow!

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #3891 on: July 08, 2014, 09:26:25 PM »
I'll have to recreate Tava. My grav/kin who PROUDLY did not have Speed Boost, Inertial Reduction, OR Increased Density. But DAMN could she trans/trans/fulcrum shift like they were going out of style. (Especially with Power Boost on.)

Sounds like a nice combo, Samuraiko.  I haven't tried that one YET.  (grin)
For those who don't like SB, there's always the visit to Null the Gull to take care of that little problem.
But for the teams who like their DPS raised, the recharge increase is a nice factor of SB side effects.

Edit: A little tweaking in Mids and my new concept character, G'Kin is born!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:42:07 PM by Sugoi »

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #3892 on: July 08, 2014, 09:38:42 PM »
BTW why are we assuming that we won't be able to get our characters back? Is there proof I missed about that data being missing or corrupted somehow? I'm sure they could create a way of linking old account data with the new account you'd likely have to make with the game's new owners.
The available game data was found to be a worse mess than expected, according to what Ironwolf mentioned a few (dozen) pages earlier. It's unknown whether or not pre-existing accounts and/or characters are recoverable.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3893 on: July 08, 2014, 09:38:56 PM »
Ahhh, gotta love vengeance :).  I was in a team of a few stormers and a few force fielders for the first super team experience.  It was unstoppable.  Enemies couldn't hit anything and died in seconds due to double stack freezing rain, it was hillarity.

Man, I so miss Freezing Rain on my Elec/Storm. Perfect for trick-or-treating, and it NEVER stopped being entertainingly funny to watch.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #3894 on: July 08, 2014, 09:45:50 PM »
My computer at home has a vintage 1996 Model M "clicky" keyboard. Played CoH with it from 2004 to when the game shut down. All the keys still work just fine. But the PS/2 connector is starting to get a little wonky.
My go-to CoH mouse is one that it would be painful to replace.  I've been using it with laptops for probably close to 15 years, and if it ever dies I have no idea what I'll do.  Probably buy a used model for triple what I paid for it new and hope for the best.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-D67-00001-Trackball-Optical-Mouse/dp/B00005853X/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TH3Y6H5F4A0ME7T0D2J

It's weird, the stuff that I associate with CoH...

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3895 on: July 08, 2014, 09:45:56 PM »
The available game data was found to be a worse mess than expected, according to what Ironwolf mentioned a few (dozen) pages earlier. It's unknown whether or not pre-existing accounts and/or characters are recoverable.

Oh, so this is more of a "can't" instead of a "won't". That makes more sense to me now. No one had bothered to explain that to me.

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #3896 on: July 08, 2014, 09:46:56 PM »
Cool to know another guitar player plays this game!   8)

I'm one as well  :o  The in game music is awesome (even on blue side)...can't wait to hear it while playing again!!!

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3897 on: July 08, 2014, 09:49:06 PM »

I guess what I am saying is once we get the game back - almost everything may be there - or it may not, I am starting to think the character data may be available, the financial accounts I highly doubt.

I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

RickJames

• Underling
  • DJ Rick James from Split Infinity Radio
    • Split Infinity Radio
« Reply #3898 on: July 08, 2014, 09:52:47 PM »
Ok..So I've been gone for awhile...well A LONG WHILE ...whats all this new news I keep hearing rumors about

8) :o
DJ Rick James
HR Manager
Split Infinity Radio
www.siradio.fm

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3899 on: July 08, 2014, 09:54:10 PM »
I guess what I am saying is once we get the game back - almost everything may be there - or it may not, I am starting to think the character data may be available, the financial accounts I highly doubt.

Oh well if that's the case then I still remember my CoH login server credentials. Give me a way to link that with whatever new account I'd have to make with this new game company and we ought to be peachy, neh?