Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7294140 times)

Odimodus

• Minion
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #3720 on: July 08, 2014, 03:26:29 PM »
I tried Icon. Making a character in Icon is like licking a steak. You get the flavor but it just leaves you hungrier than before. I'm glad it's there but wow it's almost vapid.

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3721 on: July 08, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »
For me it'd all be in the presentation.  Lets say CoH was relaunched but all acct data was lost, everything I'd accumulated over 8 years gone, but a in-game shop was put up allowing me to buy back everything desired where I could get back to where I was for, say, $250 total... I'd likely respond to that poorly.  But if I was instead offered up-front to be granted everything back for a one-time $250 donation to the project, I'd likely say "here is $500, make it so for the wife's account too".

I don't want to be nickle and dime'd to death.  But I *do* want to support this project.  If it means paying for something I'd already paid for, so be it.  And frankly I don't see a way for the CoH Relaunch project to be financially viable without at least some of this re-buying stuff going on.  But there are definitely better motivational-methods than some others to pass the plate around.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm would also like to support the games return, but I'm also no longer working for Walt Disney World now, but am disabled. I have no real income so it would take me years to get back all the stuff it took months or a year to get before. This is especially difficult to struggle to get back dime by dime with no sense of security, knowing it could go down again if it's not making enough money does NOT motivate me to spend more to prevent the second closure, rather it motivates me to spend more slowly and carefully to reduce my own personal damages the next time around. For me there's plenty I still hadn't bought and would this time around (last 5 "Triumph" slots, the extra inventory slots of various types, couple of costume sets, transformation powers and hell just those packs with random items for their items/for the vet tokens to get the limited time items) I'm sure there are others who would be returning who felt the same, plus new players who never had it at all. You can bet I'll be bringing back my entire SG, plus some new people. Either way I want to help, but after the devastating closure and my life issues since then, I can neither afford the same work I had done before, nor can I take the same risk again to the very same extent. I imagine there must be some way to help both the players return and still let them make money.
Please don't send blind requests in games to me, I learned to ignore them in CoX, no offense meant. (this is only here until I can figure out how to put it in my actual profile on here.)

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3722 on: July 08, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »

Character data - Your login and password could still unlock.

I guess what I am saying is once we get the game back - almost everything may be there - or it may not, I am starting to think the character data may be available, the financial accounts I highly doubt.

Here we go! I noticed you didn't say IF? Should we read anything into that?

BTW, thanks for the title whomever did that :D
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #3723 on: July 08, 2014, 03:42:37 PM »

LOL that's awesome!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3724 on: July 08, 2014, 03:49:44 PM »

Honestly from day 1 I have made the assumption that we would succeed.

I never let it enter my head that we would fail. This effort is well along the path and all of the failed efforts I have data from added further information on how to proceed the next time. If this one fails - did I mention 3 other studios contacted me? This will be done by either this effort or another one.

I have zero doubt in it happening as contrary to what may have floated at one point, NCSoft is open to talks. The problem is it is a HUGE company and you have to find the right guy to get in the door. We have that guy and it is in his hands. Outside of the first Paragon buyout attempt they did not have the main contact. NCSoft is huge and mainly impersonal, what happened with the first effort and people involved is highly  unlikely to impact this effort with different folks.

Odimodus

• Minion
« Reply #3725 on: July 08, 2014, 03:59:10 PM »
I really want to thank YOU for being patient with us and sharing what you can. You, and all who work towards rescuing our game, are the real Heroes.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #3726 on: July 08, 2014, 03:59:50 PM »
I wish I had the incite everyone else seems to have on such future content as this..."Battalion"...I always thought of this as the "coming storm" had arrived and stuck there first in reguards to my continuation through Pen and Paper RPG games and short stories.

A lot of what we know comes from the two lore Q&As that  the devs have done - http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9602.0.html
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Fridgy Daiere

« Reply #3727 on: July 08, 2014, 04:01:08 PM »
I tried Icon. Making a character in Icon is like licking a steak. You get the flavor but it just leaves you hungrier than before. I'm glad it's there but wow it's almost vapid.

It's not about what's missing; it's about the possibilities when we get the game back.  See Ironwolf's previous post.  When.  Other studios in the mix.   ;)

LOL that's awesome!

Orange Fanta...it took me a minute.   :roll:  Cute!

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3728 on: July 08, 2014, 04:01:12 PM »

I never let it enter my head that we would fail. This effort is well along the path and all of the failed efforts I have data from added further information on how to proceed the next time. If this one fails - did I mention 3 other studios contacted me? This will be done by either this effort or another one.

I have zero doubt in it happening as contrary to what may have floated at one point, NCSoft is open to talks. The problem is it is a HUGE company and you have to find the right guy to get in the door. We have that guy and it is in his hands. Outside of the first Paragon buyout attempt they did not have the main contact. NCSoft is huge and mainly impersonal, what happened with the first effort and people involved is highly  unlikely to impact this effort with different folks.

I think we rock, just saying. I hope someone is making notes of how this sort of thing goes down (things, more like tips, that can be shared) and that we pass this along to other gaming communities (heck, maybe even the other 4 NCSoft games might have luck) so they can know that while they too may have lost a game, there may still be a way and a hope to their own revival with some helpful tips that made ours successful and follow the light of our torch back to their own happiness too.
Please don't send blind requests in games to me, I learned to ignore them in CoX, no offense meant. (this is only here until I can figure out how to put it in my actual profile on here.)

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3729 on: July 08, 2014, 04:03:41 PM »
A lot of what we know comes from the two lore Q&As that  the devs have done - http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9602.0.html

Thank you GG :)

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3730 on: July 08, 2014, 04:04:14 PM »

:)

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3731 on: July 08, 2014, 04:05:34 PM »

At this point I think it's fair to say everyone is behind your optimism in this effort, and it's growing every day! And there's a good chance I'll get my characters back! Woohoo! Thanks again Ironwolf.

Edit: Looks at his title again  ;)
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3732 on: July 08, 2014, 04:08:31 PM »
The problem with drawing a hard line is you eventually find yourself bumping into it. Also, NCsoft wants to get paid and dust their hands, not do more work. Who knows what shape their user account data is in, they may not be able to provide it, may be against legal limitations within their own country, have competing interests preventing sharing the data, who knows?

Exactly.

The more NCSoft has to provide, the more pricey it will be. That's kind of why I am resigning myself to character loss. I just don't think we are going to get our old alts back. [Please let me be wrong!] the most important thing IMO is getting the game back, period.

I think one problem here is, that many people including myself, saw our alts as our property. We spent the time leveling them, we took them on a million TF/SFs, we are the ones who ponied up [in one way or another] for our rare enhancements, etc. NC didn't do that, we did it. I'll speak for myself: when the game closed, not only was I tremendously upset by the taking away of my online "home," I felt that NCSoft had broken faith with me and STOLEN actual ASSETS from me. "FREE FOREVER!" right?...? Well... maybe not. I was a fool to take them at their word.

Our alts were worth real-world money; people sold 'em on eBay, for instance. Many of my alts were carrying tens of millions of Influence. I even considered: what if you were only allowed access to, say, five of your alts? Who would they be? .... and I know who they would be. Just in case, you know.... and this was long before closure announcement.

So, when the game closed I didn't give all my cash away; my alts kept their money. I emptied base storage of all valuables, stashing it on my alts. I didn't log off in my SG bases on the last day, for fear of what might happen to a character parked in a place that might not even exist, were the game ever to come back. I did what I could, just in case; but I just don't see NC giving us that data.

I would pay all of my in-game assets just to run through the Underground trial map again.... and who knows, I might have to put my money where my mouth is. Its ok. I can do all that again. I HAVE done it again, when the game was up. I know I re-rolled my villain Main alt at least five times, in order to get powersets I felt comfortable with; and that was back before we could transfer assets via in-game mail. I respec'ed her countless times. It was all good; she was still THERE. As I deleted I would say, "you will be back soon, sweetie" and then I would remake her in her own image. AGAIN.

Can I do it again? You betcha. How sweet it would be to see her rise again on my screen, more beautiful than ever.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:15:08 PM by Illusionss »

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3733 on: July 08, 2014, 04:10:44 PM »
I think we rock, just saying. I hope someone is making notes of how this sort of thing goes down (things, more like tips, that can be shared) and that we pass this along to other gaming communities (heck, maybe even the other 4 NCSoft games might have luck) so they can know that while they too may have lost a game, there may still be a way and a hope to their own revival with some helpful tips that made ours successful and follow the light of our torch back to their own happiness too.

I have had some contact from other games that closed. I explained what Earth and Beyond did - they ignored EA and just put the game out. I explained what I did to start it - was gather information on who was around the company who was now gone that might be free to talk. I then started fact finding and dispelling myths. Sherlock Holmes had the idea - once you have eliminated all possibilities whatever left is the truth whether improbable or not.

The truth really was NCSoft closed the game to concentrate on the merger with Nexon. They made a decision to pass on a couple million dollars to consolidate Billions. I don't want to open a huge NCSoft hate thread - we have plenty of those. Once at that stage - I could see that they did talk to buyers, they refused some and on one the deal fell through. The very fact that after the deal fell through they immediately tried to find another buyer told me NCSoft must still be willing to sell. I got past the emotional part and looked at the Business part. You must make NCSoft happy before they sell. If you look at my earlier posts I was laying out what type of organization NCSoft would want to see before they sold it.

The game will be restored, if not now - soon.

ike

• Minion
  • palms spaghetti, knees weak arms spaghetti
« Reply #3734 on: July 08, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »
It's not about what's missing; it's about the possibilities when we get the game back.  See Ironwolf's previous post.  When.  Other studios in the mix.   ;)

Orange Fanta...it took me a minute.   :roll:  Cute!

also, little knwon fact, if you can find your costume files, you can move those into you game files if t comes back. every costume you save is a possible hero.
hat extraordinare

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #3735 on: July 08, 2014, 04:17:31 PM »
Financial data is highly doubtful - some folks have stated it may not be legal to transfer that when the product doesn't exist now. If the game was open - then it is fairly simple but after closure it could be illegal.

Character data - Your login and password could still unlock. I truly do not know if it is all there. I get emails saying they know someone inside and that they have compiled all the stuff at NCSoft and all of the data is there. Is this true or a troll? I have no way of knowing at this point. I pass this stuff on to the team and let them investigate.

I guess what I am saying is once we get the game back - almost everything may be there - or it may not, I am starting to think the character data may be available, the financial accounts I highly doubt.

I keep thinking of the costume packs.... So if we get characters back that had purchased costume pieces, will that unlock those costume pieces for that account, since we obviously purchased them before?  (I know this is a ways down the road, since we don't even have the game back for sure yet, but I'm just wondering...)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3736 on: July 08, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »
I've been going through my CoX stuff, refamiliarizing myself with where I was on my toons, using Icon to make save files of any costumes I didn't save before (where I can recall how they were made), and otherwise preparing for relaunch. One thing I've realized is that, if we don't get the account info back, I could be facing a character-slot problem: thanks to added veteran slots and purchased slots, I had 26 characters on Protector, for instance. I'd like to keep them together on the same server (part of restoring what I had, how I had it); in case I can't, I'm working on figuring out which ones I'd prefer to bring back first, based on available slots, and how they'd be grouped, server-wise. Of course, some of them use purchased add-ons (Dual-Pistols blaster, Beast mastermind, etc.); bringing them back will depend on how much is made available to the players for free.

Once the game pops a wakey, future teams may rest assured that my former Navy corpsman, Doc Pruitt, will be there for all of your team-healing needs. Motto: "Keeping you on your feet and in the fight."
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:30:26 PM by Super Firebug »
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Fridgy Daiere

« Reply #3737 on: July 08, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »
also, little knwon fact, if you can find your costume files, you can move those into you game files if t comes back. every costume you save is a possible hero.

Hehe, why do you think we're doing it?  I loved it when they added the save/load option for costumes and custom powers!

To Ironwolf:  would the mystery people allow you to their their Plan Z strategy with us?  Their plan if/when they decide to move on to bigger and better things will definitely affect the support they receive.  They must have solidified a plan, because that's one of the things that NCSoft will want to know as well before they sell.

parabola

• Underling
« Reply #3738 on: July 08, 2014, 04:22:07 PM »
The game will be restored, if not now - soon.

Please let it be soon. I've spent the afternoon pouring through the saved image of the old coh boards working out what to roll first when it comes back. I'm too old to be this excited about the return of a computer game!

SpectaPhantom

• Minion
  • Ghost of Living Past
« Reply #3739 on: July 08, 2014, 04:26:26 PM »
I've lost access to my account before, it was terrible not being able to play my toons I worked do hard on. I just sucked it up and got a new account. I was eventually able to convince a very nice support guy to hear me out and he was able to restore the account to me.

It was hard knowing my characters were out there and I couldn't play them. Ify charater data should be deleted or if the team can not buy it I won't be too upset. This time it's not my fault. Restarting those characters would be enjoyable instead of depressing.

I never had any inf nor very many purples. My life didn't allow me to play for all 8 years so that I could build it up like so many could. Economy will balance out in time.

I bought this game about 9 years ago this summer. I was 15. My first MMO. Boy am I excited right now. Thank you IronWolf, and the rest of your team. Keep it up :).
Triumph Search and Rescue - TSAR Deputy Chief
"Heroes Helping Heroes"