Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7264410 times)

Mindshadow

• Underling
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #1320 on: May 22, 2014, 04:50:42 PM »
To be fair, if some one was working a particular niche, like say level 15 stealth procs, they wouldn't mention it on the forum. Not because of non-marketers, but because they were competitive with each other.

They talked about strategy in general terms. In the case I mentioned of screenshots, they showed things that illustrated the point but didn't give away and personal niches. I never asked, but I also didn't volunteer my personal strategy.

Yeah, and a lot of explanations were really obvious if you'd done much with the market. Even if some stuff was redacted, often they'd give away enough that you could make some pretty good guesses.

But people would get so angry about an explanation that was basically walking them through steps 1-9 of a 10 step "make all the money ever" process, just because they were required to put in their own work for step 10.  :-\

I did enjoy the extremely arcane arguments over minor disagreements in terminology. Oh, the "temporal arbitrage" debate...  :o

Thezanman

• Underling
« Reply #1321 on: May 22, 2014, 05:21:14 PM »
*UPDATE*

I don't have a lot of news but they are threading through the Corporate hoops and at least have a person who knows NCSoft well to try and make it easier. I know I have said this before but with big companies it really is part of their process. It could take a while - sorry to say. I have an idea to try that might cut through some of the red tape and have the approval to try it. The business side of things is a vastly different world from what most people have experience with.

Folks here is the reality of what is happening: NCSoft and Cryptic will insist their logos remain on the game as they want recognition for their efforts in the past. Due to this they do not want their name on a product run by a group who will not do it justice. This did stop at least 2 different groups from acquiring it in the past, that had money but no true studio. These delays and hoops to jump through are part of the vetting process. It is going to take time to let them see the group making the offer is serious and does have the resources to pull it off.

Like them or loathe them NCSoft has actually done well in choosing the studios for games - the track record on the games isn't as good as the companies they pick. The folks are working on it and may need to make adjustments to reflect what NCSoft wants to see. You can be assured silence is not reflecting a lack of effort.

I really hope this doesn't take too long. I played this game since the start and I just want to fly around in Paragon City once more!

BenshowSly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1322 on: May 22, 2014, 05:26:31 PM »
I really hope this doesn't take too long. I played this game since the start and I just want to fly around in Paragon City once more!

Bad news for you! It WILL take long. It ALWAYS takes long.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #1323 on: May 22, 2014, 05:44:37 PM »

It probably will take at least 6 months if everything goes right and nothing goes wrong. More likely a year.

But still, where were we a few months back? No hope at all except maybe private servers, one day. Today we have hope.

Celebrate the small victories. In this world they can feel like major triumphs!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1324 on: May 22, 2014, 06:32:34 PM »
See that is the point! We fight and work hard when needed - but often the hardest part is patience.

Time will pass but we are going forward. I know it sucks not to be in on what is happening - but it must be that way for now, I also know very little other than how this sort of bid process works with large companies. It seems forever right now but we only started this latest effort in March - not bad for 2 months.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #1325 on: May 22, 2014, 07:02:14 PM »

Just gonna throw it out there - if all you want to do is fly around the city, then Icon is for you: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7288.0.html
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Reaper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1326 on: May 22, 2014, 07:05:56 PM »
See that is the point! We fight and work hard when needed - but often the hardest part is patience.

Time will pass but we are going forward. I know it sucks not to be in on what is happening - but it must be that way for now, I also know very little other than how this sort of bid process works with large companies. It seems forever right now but we only started this latest effort in March - not bad for 2 months.

+1

I hate waiting, but even having that glimmer of hope is better than nothing.  And, as Ironwolf stated, we aren't really that bad off considering it has only been 2 months.  I think we can consider ourselves lucky if we get to play again within a year's time.

And, as always, thanks for the update, Ironwolf!
Patiently lurking from the shadows...

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #1327 on: May 22, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »

Thank you, Ironwolf, for any and all efforts you are making toward getting our beloved game back

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #1328 on: May 23, 2014, 11:30:51 AM »
Thank you, Ironwolf, for any and all efforts you are making toward getting our beloved game back

Yes!!!!!!  :)

Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

Gamerchamp

• Come from the Land Down
  • Lieutenant
  • City of Heroes/Villains
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1329 on: May 23, 2014, 12:09:08 PM »

Well said :D.
@Str8Dumpin
Str8Dumpin Level 50 War Mace/Fiery Aura Tanker
Str8Away Level 50 Fire Control/Radiation Emission Controller
Str8Killer Level 50 Spines/Invulnerability Scrapper
Str8Ninja Level 50 Energy Melee/Ninjitsu Stalker

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1330 on: May 23, 2014, 09:17:31 PM »
Just wanted to wish everyone in the USA a Happy and safe Memorial Day Weekend. If any of you have lost loved ones in the service of our country we will be honoring them this Memorial day.

Next Year Memorial Day Weekend in Paragon City!

FourSpeed

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1331 on: May 23, 2014, 10:08:50 PM »
To be fair, if some one was working a particular niche, like say level 15 stealth procs, they wouldn't mention it on the forum. Not because of non-marketers, but because they were competitive with each other.

They talked about strategy in general terms. In the case I mentioned of screenshots, they showed things that illustrated the point but didn't give away and personal niches. I never asked, but I also didn't volunteer my personal strategy.

But if/When we get the game back, I'm sure there will be a market forum. There will be people that you can either yell at for being ebil or that you can ask questions of or get help. It is entirely your choice.

Lots of choices made this a great game.
As a writer of one of the guides you alluded to (and probably the easiest Marketing Guide for beginners -
Recipe Vendoring), seeing some of these posts again just made me laugh... Too funny.
I recall pages of pure vitriol from folks who were sure the approach would ruin the Markets and be
banned by the devs. 

Hilarious... Some folks couldn't be made to see the simplest things sometimes... Go Figure.

That said, if the game came back, rest assured I'd be in the Market Forum and probably reposting
that guide again...  :)

@IronWolf:  It is a fine thing you're doing here, sir!  Kudos and a doff of the chapeau to you!

Regards,

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1332 on: May 23, 2014, 10:38:23 PM »
As a writer of one of the guides you alluded to (and probably the easiest Marketing Guide for beginners -
Recipe Vendoring), seeing some of these posts again just made me laugh... Too funny.
I recall pages of pure vitriol from folks who were sure the approach would ruin the Markets and be
banned by the devs. 

Hilarious... Some folks couldn't be made to see the simplest things sometimes... Go Figure.

That said, if the game came back, rest assured I'd be in the Market Forum and probably reposting

@IronWolf:  It is a fine thing you're doing here, sir!  Kudos and a doff of the chapeau to you!

Regards,

I plan to focus on guides for dealing with tougher mobs, and playing support toons myself.  I'll be doing a lets play/walkthrough sort of thing.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Phaerius

• Underling
« Reply #1333 on: May 23, 2014, 11:28:15 PM »
Been lurking for a long time, but this thread made me come out of the woodwork. NCsoft basically earned a closed wallet from me after their closure of CoH, I'd be all too pleased if they ended up letting it out of their grip. On the topic of market threads, I got a ton of help from some of the easy startup threads. My low level characters were always inf starved until I read about vendoring SO's and other cheap market things that were usually listed far under vendor price. Hitting the inf cap (almost twice), was one of the few goals I achieved in the year prior to CoHs shutdown. I didn't manage to completely Kit out everyone on my account, but my main had a few purple sets and was full of all the one off goodies like end/damage procs. CoH had my favourite economy since it was SO easy to dive into, and I'd really hope that if it makes a return we can get the ball rolling again on that.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #1334 on: May 24, 2014, 05:39:58 AM »
banned by the devs. 

Regards,

I was a convert. I used to hate the market, mainly because I didn't understand it. But once I started reading and it clicked for me, I was able to get what I wanted. There were many with so much more than me, but I had enough for my toons and could help my friends.

So thanks to you and all the others who helped. I don't like being wrong but it's not fatal and you guys were right. It really was easy once you figured it out. But it did have a learning curve.

AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1335 on: May 24, 2014, 08:46:58 AM »
banned by the devs. 

Regards,

You could make money in the strangest places, I made tens of billions over a long period by selling huge numbers of things where I bought the recipes for less than 3 million, crafted for maybe 4 million for the salvage, and sold for 15-20M and a few where the recipes were 7M and the sale price was 30. Recharge intensive pets triples, Accurate defence debuff triples, Numina heals at levels 40-49, LotG defence levels in the 30s.

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1336 on: May 24, 2014, 11:25:05 AM »

I notice we've had about sixteen iterations of "why should I care how someone else plays the game". You should care when it affects how you play the game, which often it does. Give someone a "level me from 1 to 50 now" button, I don't care... until I end up on a team with them, clock ticking in the Cavern of Transcendence.

Plenty of people when looking for teams, especially for tf's and trials, would specify that they wanted people with experience running that tf or with whatever requirement/s floated their boat.   If you were that picky about whom you teamed with for specific tf's, all you had to do was say that when you were putting your team together.  Or you could have done what a lot of us did and just run with the same group most of the time.  Or you could chill out and just have fun playing the game.   ;)

Personally, there were only a handful of times in over five years (maybe once a year, not "often" at all, and I played a LOT) that I experienced severe frustration with someone who didn't really understand their powers or even their AT's role on the team (and that, of course, is also up to major debate!), but those types didn't really hang around on teams that long, if they did, they might have actually learned something.  Not, of course, if you're screeching at them for not doing this or that right or not having this or that power or whatever.

And that's another related point, we met a couple of power-levelers once they emerged from AE and wanted to experience game content.  Instead of having a hissy fit and berating them for sucking, we'd help them out while running tip or radio mishes and they'd start to love the game, even start new toons with us and level them "normally."  (Alas, I never got my water blaster to 50.)  In fact, towards the end, one such newish player stood right by my side in AP33, torch held high. 

CreVo

• Minion
« Reply #1337 on: May 24, 2014, 03:42:21 PM »
Thanks for the updates wolf.

Are we still on about the market? Really? Go start another thread and stop flooding this one.

Crimsanotic

• Underling
« Reply #1338 on: May 24, 2014, 03:50:57 PM »
There were plenty of people who PLed and got PLed who also got characters to 50 legitimately and/or could just play the game well.

Not like this game was hard in the first place. You had to just be simply terrible to be a liability on your team. Even then, it's not like the other seven players couldn't carry the team well enough.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:58:11 PM by Crimsanotic »

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1339 on: May 24, 2014, 04:22:54 PM »
That was the whole beauty of the game; even if players didn't have the hang of playing, the fact that they were trying to team:   TRYING was what made it great. 

If the team was made up of boneheads who didn't try to help that player find his/her groove, then those in the team were the problem not that player.  Eventually, if that person stuck with it...regardless of how he or she normally played, that person would get with it and learn how to team well. 

Players with that kind of beef were the same types who lectured others on builds and how they felt those others needed to play their characters.  No one way was best - that's what made teaming so interesting and the community so awesome.

Sometimes, the most fun was switching things up and having players who normally functioned well in a certain role, play in a different role.  They knew how to play the game...but not that specific archetype.  Everyone was great at something, and not so much at other things.

I find it funny how, the players who point out how NOT to play the game feel that THEIR way was the ONLY way the game should be played.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 04:28:00 PM by Triage IV »
Waiting for the day Paragon returns.