Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7295715 times)

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #9440 on: August 22, 2014, 02:55:47 AM »
Ironwolf has suggested a few times that NCSoft will certainly want to have their logo on the game even if they retain no other rights.
I fully expect to see NC, Paragon and Cryptic logos on it.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9441 on: August 22, 2014, 03:31:50 AM »
I'm cool with lots of different takes on what the return video should be.  I just hope its not this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #9442 on: August 22, 2014, 03:43:48 AM »
I fully expect to see NC, Paragon and Cryptic logos on it.

And I for one really don't mind that at all. After all, NCSoft was the reason the game was around for awhile, even if it could be said they're the reason it isnt around right now. Here's hoping they're the reason we get our game back in some fashion :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9444 on: August 22, 2014, 04:06:14 AM »
Ironwolf has suggested a few times that NCSoft will certainly want to have their logo on the game even if they retain no other rights.

Honestly they can put a logo a pile of crap on the boot screen I wouldn't care as long as we have access to the game

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9445 on: August 22, 2014, 04:56:08 AM »

If they relinquish all rights and control then that would be fine.

My point with the question I posted was simply this: NCSoft really stuck it to CoH fans with the shutdown, would we really have trust in them if they had any control over CoH if CoH returned?

Fool me once, shame on you
Foll me twice shame on me
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #9446 on: August 22, 2014, 07:36:05 AM »

Sounds like you want people to answer "No." Unfortunately I hold no ill will towards NCSoft... and CoH is the only MMO I have ever played that I enjoyed... So my answer is a resounding YES I would come back. I would come back to support CoH in maintenance mode and the prospect of a CoH2.

I never played CoH thinking it would be around for 20 or 30 years... I got 8 great years out of CoH and was happy with that... now the prospect of a few more years of CoH and a possible CoH2... yes sign me up. NCSoft did not "stick it to me" with the shut down... NCSoft did not fool me once... maybe if you start looking at it from a different perspective you won't feel so used/abused by NCSoft. I tend to look at what NCSoft did give me... 8 years of the best MMO.

If they relinquish all rights and control then that would be fine.

My point with the question I posted was simply this: NCSoft really stuck it to CoH fans with the shutdown, would we really have trust in them if they had any control over CoH if CoH returned?

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9447 on: August 22, 2014, 08:26:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC7NIvWEnU4

I used to have two copies (one I bought new when it was first released, one I bought at a classic game convention where Howard Warshaw was scheduled to appear, hoping I could get him to sign it, though I didn't have the chance), before I had to sell my entire collection when I moved to Europe.

Ahhh haha, thats hardcore.  I keep wondering when the AVGN will FINALLY do ET but I also ponder, would that be the last episode of angry video game nerd if that happened?

It'd probably be a half-hour of him just mindlessly bashing it in the same meme-tastic way that everyone else does, rather than actually reading the manual and trying to enjoy the game on its own merits.  (And it does have merits)

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #9448 on: August 22, 2014, 09:04:17 AM »
Sounds like you want people to answer "No." Unfortunately I hold no ill will towards NCSoft... and CoH is the only MMO I have ever played that I enjoyed... So my answer is a resounding YES I would come back. I would come back to support CoH in maintenance mode and the prospect of a CoH2.

I never played CoH thinking it would be around for 20 or 30 years... I got 8 great years out of CoH and was happy with that... now the prospect of a few more years of CoH and a possible CoH2... yes sign me up. NCSoft did not "stick it to me" with the shut down... NCSoft did not fool me once... maybe if you start looking at it from a different perspective you won't feel so used/abused by NCSoft. I tend to look at what NCSoft did give me... 8 years of the best MMO.

Never thought of it this way round, thank you Burnt Toast! Those 8 years were very good so lots to be thankful for when thinking about it.

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #9449 on: August 22, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »

Shoot - I'd play CoH in maintenance mode without the prospect of CoH2..
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9450 on: August 22, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »
My pick for worse Atari 2600 game was "Swordquest: Earthworld" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swordquest ). The only redeeming feature that monstrosity had was the mini comic book that came with it.

We got our copy second hand, and it didn't come with the comic book.

Yeah that was fun.  -.-

I used to ask my friends who declared Waterworld to be a horrible movie what they didn't like about it,

You know, I honestly don't think most people have a problem with Kevin Costner movies. There's nothing wrong with the movies themselves, at least compared to anything else on the market. I think the majority of people who say that, are basing their opinion on what other people have said. Personally, I'm the type that likes to make up my own mind on things. And as it turns out I generally like movies that other people call bad. Not always, but around eight times out of ten.

It also helps that I've learned to outright ignore people who are nothing but pessimistic and cynical all the time :)

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9451 on: August 22, 2014, 11:02:16 AM »
Swordquest: Earthworld was pretty bad, but I think Fireworld was even worse.  It was buggy (to the point of being borderline unplayable in spots) and unfinished - even the clues (which were the whole point of the game) weren't actually programmed into the cartridge, just placeholders!

I'd seriously rank E.T. above either.

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #9452 on: August 22, 2014, 11:31:16 AM »
Here's a question for all:

Let's say the game does come back, but NCSOFT still has some involvement with the game.......would you still come back?

For me the answer would be dependent on just how involved they would be, since it was them that killed the game in the first place.  Also I tried Wildstar for 5 minutes until I remembered it was NCsoft's game

Hopefully if this goes through it will be a complete sale and NCsoft walks away with their cash.

I've always said that if NCsoft brought the game back or allowed others to take the game IP that would be enough for me to end my personal boycott of NCsoft.

It turns out that we may not have had all the information concerning NCsoft and the proposed sale of the IP to interested parties back when the game first closed down in any case.

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #9453 on: August 22, 2014, 11:43:35 AM »

Does not matter to me as long as I'm enjoying the game while it is up.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #9454 on: August 22, 2014, 11:53:30 AM »
As others have posted above, I would come back to CoHV in a literal heartbeat, even if it is only in maintenance mode with no prospect of CoHV 2, or with starting new toons or not.  I would come back.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #9455 on: August 22, 2014, 12:26:31 PM »
My pick for worse Atari 2600 game was "Swordquest: Earthworld" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swordquest ). The only redeeming feature that monstrosity had was the mini comic book that came with it.  Once I had gotten the hang of playing ET, I actually used to enjoy it as a diversion from time to time. There were certainly less pleasant games in my library.

Oh, but the SwordQuest video games are at the heart of one of the greatest gaming mysteries out there.  As you might recall, the games were released as part of a contest in which you would gather clues, and those who completed the game fastest were flown to Atari to compete for some really expensive prizes.  The winner of Earthworld received a Talisman.  The winner of Fireworld received a chalice.  The winners of Waterworld and Airworld were supposed to receive a philosopher's stone and crown, respectively, but Atari was sold and those contests never took place.  Each of those prizes were custom designed by the Franklin Mint and made of genuine 18k gold, silver, platinum, and precious jewels, and each was valued at $25,000.  Ultimately, the winners of the four contests were supposed to compete for the Sword of Ultimate Sorcery, a real sword made of silver with a hilt of jewel-encrusted solid 18k gold, worth $50,000.

The thing is, in spite of the Waterworld and Airworld contests never happening and the final contest being canceled, those prizes existed.  They were on display at the Fireworld contest, witnessed by the competitors there.  Today, the remaining prizes are probably worth between approximately $150,000 and $200,000, not even accounting for the collectible value of them, which might push them up way more.

The mystery is, what happened to them?  No one knows, or at least if they do, they're not telling.

Some speculate that when Atari was sold, the prizes were part of the package, and they might be sitting in a warehouse of stuff somewhere completely forgotten.  Or someone might have known that they were valuable and taken them and sold them to collectors who have no idea what they are.  Some speculate that Atari melted them down for the value of the raw materials.  One popular theory is that the guy who bought Atari, Jack Tramiel, kept the items in his personal collection.  Some have said that he kept the sword hanging in his living room, but no one has any evidence of it.  He died a few years back and no word (that I'm aware of) has been issued on the subject.

As for the contestants, the winners of the first two contests agreed to be paid $15,000 each as compensation for not being able to compete in the final contest, and the contenders for the Waterworld contest were paid $2,000 each.  As for the original two prizes, the talisman was said to have been melted down by the winner of the Earthworld contest to help pay for his college expenses, with him keeping a miniature sword that was part of it as a keepsake.  The owner of the chalice still has it, and keeps it in a safe deposit box here in Atlanta, Georgia.

But whatever became of the Philosopher's Stone, the Crown, and the Sword of Ultimate Sorcery?  Do they still exist, and if so, who has them?

That remains to this day one of gaming's biggest mysteries.

More info here and here, and Angry Video Game Nerd even talked about the games and the contest in a YouTube video.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9456 on: August 22, 2014, 12:32:31 PM »
As others have posted above, I would come back to CoHV in a literal heartbeat, even if it is only in maintenance mode with no prospect of CoHV 2, or with starting new toons or not.  I would come back.

Agreed. For everything we have lost and could potentially lose further I would play again. The logo is nothing to me, but the community was everything.  Give me only 6 character slots on one global server and I would play without character data.  The new devs will get money and attention and deserve it because they tried.

Regarding all time crappy Atari 2600 games;  no mention of Indiana jones?  I remember it just be impossible to control him.

Winter Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9457 on: August 22, 2014, 12:55:41 PM »
I still want my characters names because without those they lose the very concept I strove to make and one of the main things that made CoH unique.I just don't know if I would stay long without them.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #9458 on: August 22, 2014, 01:13:58 PM »
I was close to my names as well.  However, after a while, it became very tedious to try and come up with a name for a new toon (I had the max # of toon slots on all servers).  So, I went to a nomenclature scheme instead of a name.  This provided me (at a glance) the toons archetype, primary & secondary power sets, CoHV issue #, & origin.  On the plus side, I had an endless number of toon names available, on the minus side, the nomenclature thing looked odd for a toon name.

If/when our city comes back, I'll probably carry on with the nomenclature naming.  I do have a handful of actual names I plan on using.

Go Ironwolf & Team!!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

katphoenix

• Underling
« Reply #9459 on: August 22, 2014, 01:37:03 PM »
Shoot - I'd play CoH in maintenance mode without the prospect of CoH2..

I would too in a heartbeat!