Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7295734 times)

duane

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #9420 on: August 21, 2014, 11:00:55 PM »
Right? I can't be expected to fit into my hero suit if I have any extra flab hanging around.  ;)

Agent Luna... Luna Muffintop reporting to Vanguard....

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #9421 on: August 21, 2014, 11:27:59 PM »
Agent Luna... Luna Muffintop reporting to Vanguard....

I meant to get back in crime-fighting shape, I tell ya, honest!  :gonk:
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9422 on: August 21, 2014, 11:29:49 PM »
You only get muffintop if you're wearing the wrong size pants. I feel sorry for people (IT'S NOT JUST WOMEN!!) who don't realize this and just...exist with muffintops.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #9423 on: August 21, 2014, 11:56:20 PM »
I'd always assumed that Champions Online was a stand alone game, rather than spiritual successor to an earlier one.
Seriously did CO kick your puppy or something? Just let it go. :)

but it wasn't even the worst game on the Atari 2600 (compare anything by Mythicon, anything by Playaround, and, the game usually cited by actual Atari fans as the worst game for the console, Karate by Froggo), let alone ever.
My pick for worse Atari 2600 game was "Swordquest: Earthworld" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swordquest ). The only redeeming feature that monstrosity had was the mini comic book that came with it.  Once I had gotten the hang of playing ET, I actually used to enjoy it as a diversion from time to time. There were certainly less pleasant games in my library.

There are certain products and movies that people make sort of a meme out of bashing. I used to ask my friends who declared Waterworld to be a horrible movie what they didn't like about it, compared to other post-apoc or fantasy films of much lower quality. The typical answer was that it went over budget and lost a lot of money, meta elements that should be *irrelevant* to ones enjoyment of a film (and that is ignoring the fact that it did eventually break even financially). Several of them, when I told them to try and ignore the budget issues and just think watch the film on its own merits, reconsidered their view and started thinking of it as mediocre or even "halfway-decent".
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9424 on: August 22, 2014, 12:05:20 AM »
Meh. It has the "worst game ever" reputation, but it's not.  Far from it.  It could have stood a couple of weeks of extra polishing (as in this homebrew project, which makes the wells harder to fall into and adds a new game option), but it wasn't even the worst game on the Atari 2600 (compare anything by Mythicon, anything by Playaround, and, the game usually cited by actual Atari fans as the worst game for the console, Karate by Froggo), let alone ever.

... also, the game sold 1.5 million copies (making it one of the best-selling games on the Atari 2600, which still wasn't enough to make up for the licensing and production costs), not 500,000 copies like Yatzee said.

Just a peeve of mine.

I thought he said about two million.  But then again go figure, they are still looking for the landfill here in new mexico where the games were all dumped.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9425 on: August 22, 2014, 12:09:49 AM »

I think his dog was named Baxter, and was kicked off the Coronado Bridge

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #9426 on: August 22, 2014, 12:20:23 AM »
You only get muffintop if you're wearing the wrong size pants. I feel sorry for people (IT'S NOT JUST WOMEN!!) who don't realize this and just...exist with muffintops.

I was indeed a bad muffintop a couple years and 50 lbs. ago. I slipped on an old pair of blue jeans from back then today just to run a quick errand and come back... it was like wearing a circus tent.
Luna Eclypse

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #9427 on: August 22, 2014, 12:20:53 AM »

"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
« Reply #9428 on: August 22, 2014, 12:38:23 AM »
But then again go figure, they are still looking for the landfill here in new mexico where the games were all dumped.
Actually they found it earlier this year: ( http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/30/5764984/et-atari-buy-landfill-museum )

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9429 on: August 22, 2014, 12:51:58 AM »
Actually they found it earlier this year: ( http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/30/5764984/et-atari-buy-landfill-museum )

Ahh, forgot about that.  Grrr, shows how often I watch the news I guess.  So theres about 700000 games there.  Probably for the best they leave the games there, considering the crash of the market that happened due to the sheer lack of quality control back then.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Surelle

« Reply #9430 on: August 22, 2014, 12:56:32 AM »
Well, they delayed development for two years and dismantled Paragon Studios, so it's still a pretty big deal in my opinion. But then, without NCSoft there wouldn't have been a Paragon Studios at all, so it's a mixed sort of feeling. I would come back either way, but fearing that it could happen again. I am really hoping for a responsible and competent team to take the reins and attempt to maintain the quality we had previously though, the devs were fantastic.

I'm with you.  If there's still an NCSoft logo on CoH I will come back but I'll be expecting the rug to get pulled out from under me at any minute.  And I loved Paragon Studios, and am heartbroken that they're not involved (no offense to those trying to get CoH back, I'm hoping they'll be even half as great).

But first things first; this deal has to go through.  And I'm not even counting on that.  Between Team Hail Mary and the original 2012 Paragon Studios attempt not to mention PS's attempts to break free with CoH previous to 2012 and any other attempts by private groups and devs post-closure, there have been a lot of failed chances already.  I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath totally either.  Nothing would surprise me either way.

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
« Reply #9431 on: August 22, 2014, 01:08:20 AM »
Probably for the best they leave the games there, considering the crash of the market that happened due to the sheer lack of quality control back then.
More it would be pointless, as there are plenty of never-buried copies of the mixed 60ish different titles and associated hardware that ended up in the pit for people to stare at or even play. I have my old 2600 and 100+ cartridges in a box in my garage, as well as the emulated collections of the games they've released for Xbox and such. It makes sense that they only pulled up a sample for display / sale purposes as the history and limited number of these artifacts will increase their value. Not to mention more then surface digging in a very narrow band would have been cost prohibitive and dangerous thanks to some mercury infested grain and pork that also is present in the landfill.

Check out this link for some history behind the dig (and one of the coolest background tricks I've ever seen on a webpage): ( http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/5/30/5730962/et-landfill-dig-atari )

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9432 on: August 22, 2014, 01:13:31 AM »
If there's still an NCSoft logo on CoH

Ironwolf has suggested a few times that NCSoft will certainly want to have their logo on the game even if they retain no other rights.

Dannii

• Minion
« Reply #9433 on: August 22, 2014, 01:32:23 AM »

Winter Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9434 on: August 22, 2014, 01:55:54 AM »
If the game is to run in maintenance mode or whatever they call it then does it really matter if NCSoft or whomever has a part in running it?As long as they can keep the servers running,the store and our info safe I'll play again.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #9435 on: August 22, 2014, 02:01:37 AM »
If the game is to run in maintenance mode or whatever they call it then does it really matter if NCSoft or whomever has a part in running it?As long as they can keep the servers running,the store and our info safe I'll play again.
from what I gather, I don't think it is just running cox legacy, but cox 2 that the team wants to make while keeping the first one in maintenance mode. Even if the first one only gets i24 NcSoft wants to see if the team can take care of the ip since their tag will be on the first one and might be on the second one just like cryptic wanted their after the buy out.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #9436 on: August 22, 2014, 02:02:44 AM »
... also, the game sold 1.5 million copies (making it one of the best-selling games on the Atari 2600, which still wasn't enough to make up for the licensing and production costs), not 500,000 copies like Yatzee said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC7NIvWEnU4
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #9437 on: August 22, 2014, 02:19:07 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC7NIvWEnU4

I have a copy of E.T. as well... my 10 year old nephew just about lost his mind when I showed it to him. He's very much into history of all kinds, including the game industry... so the lad did his homework.  ;D

Luna Eclypse

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9438 on: August 22, 2014, 02:29:43 AM »
I have a copy of E.T. as well... my 10 year old nephew just about lost his mind when I showed it to him. He's very much into history of all kinds, including the game industry... so the lad did his homework.  ;D

Ahhh haha, thats hardcore.  I keep wondering when the AVGN will FINALLY do ET but I also ponder, would that be the last episode of angry video game nerd if that happened?

Surelle

« Reply #9439 on: August 22, 2014, 02:39:47 AM »
Ironwolf has suggested a few times that NCSoft will certainly want to have their logo on the game even if they retain no other rights.

Well, yeah, none of us knows what's really going on but I guess that does make sense.  NCSoft is going to want to erase all that bad P.R. that they have not been able to shake even two years later, and I guess I can't blame them for that.  At least they seemed to have learned a little something already as they put the original Guild Wars into maintenance mode last year instead of shutting it down totally.