Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7291928 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #9220 on: August 19, 2014, 08:50:35 PM »
I don't think you're getting what I'm trying to say at all, so I'll let my prior statements stand and not go any further down this rabbit hole. That will just create more misunderstanding.

Dude. I want to load into a Mayhem with a Brute and blow up Every. Last. Car. on that Skyway Mayhem map. All of them. On the street. In the underground parking garage. ALL OF THEM. I will do it with my Lightning Field if nothing else. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

I'd love to go into a mayhem.  I loved smashing everything in the area to, in fact I'd just smash everything to see how high I could get the clock.  I think I got to over 20 minutes once.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #9221 on: August 19, 2014, 08:50:43 PM »
The MMO buyers and the bank robber both share one key detail: the general public is being told [in essence] "Help us find this/these suspects in a huge pool of unrelated parties, based on very generic and non-specific details shared by literally thousands of other people!" How many people are wearing jeans and Nikes on any given day?

That's a direct quote (emphasis mine).

Not exactly sure if that can be "understood" any other way. The key detail that "links" your two examples together is "Help us find this/these suspects"... I responded to and directly addressed that, and somehow I don't understand? lol

Right.

I guess all I can say is we certainly have some extremely peculiar and overly emotional people in our ranks... I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but after 10 rounds of people getting hyped after an update, getting emotional, attacking each other, getting bored, and then talking about unrelated issues (rinse and repeat over and over)...462 pages later, it's getting a tad bit old. >.<

Who cares if an article was done that says "allegedly this is happening?" I think someone earlier in this thread (way way back) said it best when they stated (paraphrasing here) "if NCSoft is that finicky about the sale that they will allow a few people on a relatively obscure forum dictate the terms of the sale, they've got serious problems."

I totally get the whole "we want to protect our image" thing, but a company as large as NCSoft (and with as much history as they have in the gaming genre) should know by now that they're not going to please everyone. There is ALWAYS going to be people with negative opinions out there. They need to concentrate on whether or not this team they're negotiating with has what it takes to buy the game (and I believe they're doing that)--not on a small comment section of a tiny obscure article somewhere on the net.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:58:01 PM by AlienOne »
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9222 on: August 19, 2014, 09:01:05 PM »
That's a direct quote (emphasis mine).

Not exactly sure if that can be "understood" any other way. The key detail that "links" your two examples together is "Help us find this/these suspects"... I responded to and directly addressed that, and somehow I don't understand? lol

Right.

I guess all I can say is we certainly have some extremely peculiar and overly emotional people in our ranks... I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but after 10 rounds of people getting hyped after an update, emotional, attacking each other, getting bored, and talking about unrelated issues (rinse and repeat) it's getting a tad bit old.

Who cares if an article was done that says "allegedly this is happening?" I think someone earlier in this thread (way way back) said it best when they stated (paraphrasing here) "if NCSoft is that finicky about the sale that they will allow a few people on a relatively obscure forum dictate the terms of the sale, they've got serious problems."

I totally get the whole "we want to protect our image" thing, but a company as large as NCSoft (and with as much history as they have in the gaming genre) should know by now that they're not going to please everyone. There is ALWAYS going to be people with negative opinions out there. They need to concentrate on whether or not this team they're negotiating with has what it takes to buy the game (and I believe they're doing that)--not on a small comment section of a tiny obscure article somewhere on the net.

They(NcSoft) just don't want people spamming them like crazy in things like emails.  I know a good number of people don't get it, even went as far as to say I was being a bigot when I said that but from my understanding thats what sank a deal that came this close last time.  And I know some people, meh, already said it already.  Thankfully it seems most of that crap had died down that was happening or I don't think the deal would have gotten this far.  Heck it may even be at the point where it's an extremely likely case of when things succeed rather than if.  It's just part of the whole negotiation process.  Remember something similar happened before when facebook was going crazy?  Yupe, not much different.  Just a different website with some people possibly hiding behind avatars.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9223 on: August 19, 2014, 09:01:38 PM »
AlienOne: [massive snippage]

I remember you well from the official game boards, and will politely reiterate that I am not going to parse this any further with you. If that makes me "extremely peculiar or overly emotional," so be it. Since it takes two to have a flamewar I am politely bowing out.

Now, about that Mayhem mission..... I want to do an entire afternoon of nothing but.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9224 on: August 19, 2014, 09:03:13 PM »
I remember you well from the official game boards, and will politely reiterate that I am not going to parse this any further with you. If that makes me "extremely peculiar or overly emotional," so be it. Since it takes two to have a flamewar I am politely bowing out.

Now, about that Mayhem mission..... I want to do an entire afternoon of nothing but.

Hmmm, I could get a corruptor to vigilante alignment very quickly, since i'd probably start hero side.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9225 on: August 19, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »
I'd love to go into a mayhem.  I loved smashing everything in the area to, in fact I'd just smash everything to see how high I could get the clock.  I think I got to over 20 minutes once.

I've totally done that. I've had many minutes left on the clock when I had destroyed every last thing that I could smash. It was beautiful.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #9226 on: August 19, 2014, 09:12:59 PM »
I still fail to see why one article (or this thread for that matter) would be the thing that breaks NCSoft's back.

I do understand the spamming thing, and I hope there's nothing like that going on... But, I truly believe there are far more good people in this community than there are bad. At least, that's what made it stand out to me among all other MMOs when I irst started playing back in the day...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:48:57 PM by Ironwolf »
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #9227 on: August 19, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »
Can we please switch back to sending out good thoughts to the team, than keep thinking negatively that does no good. I know I was angry with what happened, by I stepped back and let myself calm down and restarted sending out positive thoughts again.

Also can we please start talking about pizza, my favorite is Hawaiian with extra pineapple :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Last Known Hero

• Minion
« Reply #9228 on: August 19, 2014, 09:29:44 PM »
Can we please switch back to sending out good thoughts to the team, than keep thinking negatively that does no good. I know I was angry with what happened, by I stepped back and let myself calm down and restarted sending out positive thoughts again.

Also can we please start talking about pizza, my favorite is Hawaiian with extra pineapple :)

Blah you can have that whole pizza. Pineapple does not belong.
Contender's Lil Bro - Stone/NRG Tank
Freedom

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9229 on: August 19, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »

I eat my Pizza with kimchi (yes I am strange)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #9230 on: August 19, 2014, 09:40:13 PM »
I can eat this pizza like Garfield eating his lasagna
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9NLInRWWgwo/T1ZUuPgLl1I/AAAAAAAADZI/sdIHyjlTJ1s/s1600/s-garfield-lasagna.gif
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #9231 on: August 19, 2014, 09:54:59 PM »
With this talk of Mayhem missions, I don't know if this ever happened to anyone else, but...

@Bloodspeaker and I were running a +4/x8 Skyway mayhem. (Both of us on our Masterminds.) Going along, going along... when we suddenly realize there is a surprising lack of Longbow. Anywhere.

We attack cops. We blow up stuff. We do the side missions.

Longbow is nowhere to be seen. Not on the ground, not in the air. Zilch.

As he and I are commenting on this, rather puzzled, we run past the little strip mall thing in the Skyway mayhem map. Namely, right past the pizza parlor.

Whereupon EVERY SINGLE LONGBOW ambush comes POURING out the door. AT THE SAME TIME.

We had JUST enough time to both scream, "WHAT THE F-" when we both died. Horribly. And were utterly COVERED in Longbow, now standing around on our corpses.

Thank God we had a ton of time left, because we were both helpless in our chairs, laughing until we cried and our faces hurt.

We realized to our horror later that neither one of us had thought to demorecord it, because it would have been utterly GLORIOUS to replay that, but switch it out that the Longbow all start vomiting outside the same pizza parlor with the caption "NEVER EAT HERE. AGAIN. EVER."

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9232 on: August 19, 2014, 09:57:36 PM »

I want to do one with my demon mastermind.....kaboom..earth shattering kaboom

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9233 on: August 19, 2014, 10:01:44 PM »
With this talk of Mayhem missions, I don't know if this ever happened to anyone else, but...

@Bloodspeaker and I were running a +4/x8 Skyway mayhem. (Both of us on our Masterminds.) Going along, going along... when we suddenly realize there is a surprising lack of Longbow. Anywhere.

We attack cops. We blow up stuff. We do the side missions.

Longbow is nowhere to be seen. Not on the ground, not in the air. Zilch.

As he and I are commenting on this, rather puzzled, we run past the little strip mall thing in the Skyway mayhem map. Namely, right past the pizza parlor.

Whereupon EVERY SINGLE LONGBOW ambush comes POURING out the door. AT THE SAME TIME.

We had JUST enough time to both scream, "WHAT THE F-" when we both died. Horribly. And were utterly COVERED in Longbow, now standing around on our corpses.

Thank God we had a ton of time left, because we were both helpless in our chairs, laughing until we cried and our faces hurt.

We realized to our horror later that neither one of us had thought to demorecord it, because it would have been utterly GLORIOUS to replay that, but switch it out that the Longbow all start vomiting outside the same pizza parlor with the caption "NEVER EAT HERE. AGAIN. EVER."

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

I remember something similar happened to me. In my case (a friend and I) both were thug MMs (me ta, him traps) and a kin When we entered a building all the ambushes piled in. Funny thing he had that gas mine or something like from traps that instant holds targets that stopped us from being killed initally. We then had the smart idea the both use gang wars+burnout+gang wars, then a friend used fullcrum shift. Long story short, I crashed my CoX

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #9234 on: August 19, 2014, 10:12:59 PM »
I truly believe there are far more good people in this community than there are bad. At least, that's what made it stand out to me among all other MMOs when I irst started playing back in the day...

Can we please switch back to sending out good thoughts to the team, than keep thinking negatively that does no good. I know I was angry with what happened, by I stepped back and let myself calm down and restarted sending out positive thoughts

Point proven. ;)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9235 on: August 19, 2014, 10:16:24 PM »
As far as someone else's anecdote about the swarming Longbow, LOL. This is one reason this game is so fondly remembered; no where else online have I had the opportunity for so many great and funny memories. I definitely would have taken a few screenies of that one.

I just miss our game so damn bad. I really do.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:49:46 PM by Ironwolf »

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9236 on: August 19, 2014, 10:30:04 PM »
But, I truly believe there are far more good people in this community than there are bad. At least, that's what made it stand out to me among all other MMOs when I irst started playing back in the day...

I admit to having met some of the bad people, who'd certainly have had the potential to ruin it for the rest of us.  But I do agree with you most people here are good.  I actually have a lot of trust for alot of people here though, see.  Trust is a big thing for me.  In fact it's something that has to be earned and the CoX community for the most part earned it.  It can be damaged, in fact I'll admit my trust issue is a very problematic thing in that, I get very, very aggravated when it's betreyed or even someone just proves to be a jerk to me even one time if I never met em before...

My trust is best described as a barrier with cannons on it.  If I trust someone I'll let the barrier down.  But if they rub me the wrong way enough those guns will actively shoot down anything they say.  I end up distancing myself from them indefinently never to talk with them again.  I was back-stabbed and bullied far to much as a kid, bullied even by the teachers(who'd even believe a kid they knew was a compulsive liar and even admitted they knew he was lying yet still punish me for anything he'd do), and I cannot describe how dark my view of the world even ended up.  It took YEARS for me to get to where I am today, even.

The fact that the CoX community earned my trust is a very, very huge thing for me.  I played CoX as long as I did because, I wasn't trolled anywhere near as heavily as i as in any other game.  I had alot of friends here I didn't have anywhere else I had a game I enjoyed at the same time that had a ton of replayability.  It was a lasting relationship for me in a way, kind of like a family on the internet.  I miss everything on CoX and I miss the kinds of fun talks that'd occur on CoX, and the fun incarnate trials and task forces, the kind of funny philosophical debates and questions sometimes that'd end up asked by my teammates or the funny fruit salad moments I'd run into with some real sarcastic people.  The jokes and whatnot made the game all the funner in a way that just kept it alive for me.

I enjoyed the game alot, because it was the community I liked hanging out with so much.  In fact I enjoy most of the conversations I see here because of that.  The non-serious attitude people have yet still I feel like i'm talking with people who are intelligent enough.  I feel alot more understood here then I ever did in any community, go figure.

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #9237 on: August 19, 2014, 10:40:03 PM »
Soooo, are we there yet?

Don't make me turn this internet around!

I'll give my weekly thanks to Ironwolf.

Same here, thanks!

Can we please switch back to sending out good thoughts to the team, than keep thinking negatively that does no good.

Agree!

We had JUST enough time to both scream, "WHAT THE F-" when we both died. Horribly.

That reminds me of stories I heard of Back Alley Brawler logging in drunk and filling up Pocket D with level 50 AVs back in the day. I never was on for that stuff, but wish I was, LOL.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #9238 on: August 19, 2014, 10:49:20 PM »
Not going to quote your entire text, LaughingAlex, but I totally agree. Most people in this community are extremely intelligent and very cool. I have some pretty unbelievable stories about how my life has changed as a direct result of meeting/knowing people from City of Heroes.

As for the rest, I just have to shrug my shoulders and remind myself that some people are only around to be trolls/damage others' reputation, and generally try to piss others off. It's hard for me to accept sometimes (both because of my personality and because of my belief about this community), but what'ya gonna do? :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:11:26 PM by AlienOne »

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9239 on: August 19, 2014, 11:50:04 PM »
As for the rest, I just have to shrug my shoulders and remind myself that some people are only around to be trolls/damage others' reputation, and generally try to piss others off.

And some times, what some people call trolling, or posting just to piss others off, someone else might call encouraging healthy debate or helping people out who asked for it.

Sometimes people are just too sensitive, and other times people just don't get that they are being annoying. I've seen plenty of flame wars started where both sides thought that they were not saying anything in the slightest bit wrong, and the other side thought they were flaming troll fairies.