Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7294788 times)

LateNights

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #24960 on: June 18, 2016, 02:05:00 AM »
I'm guessing you're referring to 4d(ii):

That just means NCSoft may require payment for Paragon Points - as opposed to giving them away - not that they can compel you to buy them.

That's the one - was almost happy the game was closed for a second there...

:P

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24961 on: June 18, 2016, 07:46:18 PM »
Also, inn case you haven't noticed, this thread, although it was started as a discussion about returning the game to a playable state,  has diverged from that topic numerous times.

You can't honestly tell me that the discussion about Faster than Light space travel has anything to do with the return of CoH in a playable state and still have even the least bit of credibility.
Ummm, could be used for time travel possibly. That could lead to going back in time and giving gawd awful amounts of monies to NCSoft to purchase the game, and through extension, rewrite history.

Kidding

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24962 on: June 18, 2016, 07:47:47 PM »
Ummm, could be used for time travel possibly. That could lead to going back in time and giving gawd awful amounts of monies to NCSoft to purchase the game, and through extension, rewrite history.

Kidding
We could go give a condom to the Paragon employees mother/dad who decided to let a personal issue torch this game into oblivion.

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24963 on: June 18, 2016, 08:11:11 PM »
We could go give a condom to the Paragon employees mother/dad who decided to let a personal issue torch this game into oblivion.
Yeah, but what are the chances they'd use it? Hell, they were passing those things around like candy back in my school, and people were still getting knocked up.

Surelle

« Reply #24964 on: June 18, 2016, 08:48:11 PM »

This ridiculous rumor came out of someone's overactive imagination and that's it.  You really need to dig up Back Alley Brawler's (C. Bruce's) very recent AMA on Reddit, where he explains that the reason Paragon's buyout failed was because NCSoft would not transfer active accounts and user info to them.  There were too many legalities in the way.  Let's face it, practically every player would have flipped out at the thought of losing all their characters (even the 50s), vet rewards, and cash shop purchases, and having to start all over again with the change of hands.  It has been mentioned multiple times in the more recent pages of this very thread, too.  Please stop spreading nasty rumors that have no basis in fact.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24965 on: June 19, 2016, 07:06:03 AM »
This ridiculous rumor came out of someone's overactive imagination and that's it.  You really need to dig up Back Alley Brawler's (C. Bruce's) very recent AMA on Reddit, where he explains that the reason Paragon's buyout failed was because NCSoft would not transfer active accounts and user info to them.  There were too many legalities in the way.  Let's face it, practically every player would have flipped out at the thought of losing all their characters (even the 50s), vet rewards, and cash shop purchases, and having to start all over again with the change of hands.  It has been mentioned multiple times in the more recent pages of this very thread, too.  Please stop spreading nasty rumors that have no basis in fact.

Yes losing all our characters would have been bad, but the game would still be online and it might have been possible for them to offer us a way to backup our characters similar to Sentinel. 

Plus when the game does return we'll be starting over anyway.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24966 on: June 19, 2016, 09:24:34 PM »
This ridiculous rumor came out of someone's overactive imagination and that's it.  You really need to dig up Back Alley Brawler's (C. Bruce's) very recent AMA on Reddit, where he explains that the reason Paragon's buyout failed was because NCSoft would not transfer active accounts and user info to them.  There were too many legalities in the way.  Let's face it, practically every player would have flipped out at the thought of losing all their characters (even the 50s), vet rewards, and cash shop purchases, and having to start all over again with the change of hands. It has been mentioned multiple times in the more recent pages of this very thread, too.  Please stop spreading nasty rumors that have no basis in fact.
  (Bold emphasis added by me)

I think, in retrospect, most would have said, "Hmm...start over or no game...start over or no game....Okay, we'll start over!"

In fact, I think starting over from scratch would have been a hoot. It's not like the dev team at that time couldn't have continued to do some good work.

I know a lot say the game was "tired" and needed to upgrade the graphics. I say, "Hey, you got an opinion. Great. UGT Anyone? "
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #24967 on: June 19, 2016, 09:49:11 PM »
I think, in retrospect, most would have said, "Hmm...start over or no game...start over or no game....Okay, we'll start over!"

I think that would be a common, though not universal, sentiment on this board. But the folks posting here are hardcore CoH fans. The devs always said that forum users were a minuscule faction of the total player base. I think its reasonable to expect that many of the more "casual" players would be turned off by the loss of their account info.

In addition, not having access to the user info means the game's new owner wouldn't have access to the email addresses of the player base. So they wouldn't be able to contact people and tell them about the changeover and where/how to set up a new account. Advertising and word of mouth would bring some people back but you're not going to reach everybody.

While it was profitable, CoH didn't have a huge player base. Losing just 25% of the player base (a really generous estimate given the above circumstances) could well drop the game below the threshold of profitability. I imagine that is the calculation that lead to the buyout's failure.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:24:00 PM by Ulysses Dare »

Surelle

« Reply #24968 on: June 19, 2016, 10:32:09 PM »
I think that would be a common, though not universal, sentiment on this board. But the folks posting here are a hardcore CoH fans. The devs always said that forum users were a minuscule faction of the total player base. I think its reasonable to expect that many of the more "casual" players would be turned off by the loss of their account info.

In addition, not having access to the user info means the game's new owner wouldn't have access to the email addresses of the player base. So they wouldn't be able to contact people and tell them about the changeover and where/how to set up a new account. Advertising and word of mouth would bring some people back but you're not going to reach everybody.

While it was profitable, CoH didn't have a huge player base. Losing just 25% of the player base (a really generous estimate given the above circumstances) could well drop the game below the threshold of profitability. I imagine that is the calculation that lead to the buyout's failure.

Well....yeah. 

And not transferring account info with the ownership transfer of an MMO is the usual way MMO rezzes are handled, so there must be a common legal hot mess to be avoided with all of them.  Helgate: London and A.P.B.: All Points Bulletin's dev teams both went bankrupt within a year or less of each of their launches, and all their players had to start over in both games once they were re-launched under different devs/publishers.

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #24969 on: June 20, 2016, 12:11:33 AM »

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #24970 on: June 20, 2016, 05:15:09 PM »
Reason #1 is enough to put the kabosh on selling the player data to a new company.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24971 on: June 20, 2016, 06:02:28 PM »
No Surrender!

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #24972 on: June 20, 2016, 06:32:09 PM »
Both easily solved.

#1 only requires updating the EULA/TOS to include selling the user account data.  NCSoft updated the EULA a number of times.  What's one more update?  It's not doable now of course since they've suspended all accounts so there's no way to get us to "sign" the agreement through implied acceptance of continued gaming as they did with prior updates.

You state the problem is easily solved and then just a minute later explain how your solution is now impossible. Clearly you and I have very different definitions of the words "easy" and "solved".

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24973 on: June 20, 2016, 08:24:51 PM »
You state the problem is easily solved and then just a minute later explain how your solution is now impossible. Clearly you and I have very different definitions of the words "easy" and "solved".
I believe the implication was that the issue could have been easily solved before the accounts were suspended. Now, it would be rather difficult to transfer the accounts, since there are no accounts to transfer. Limited window of opportunity thing going on there, you know.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #24974 on: June 20, 2016, 09:28:06 PM »

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24975 on: June 20, 2016, 10:21:54 PM »
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24976 on: June 20, 2016, 10:43:47 PM »

I suppose I should have said "Both were easily solved when the game was still running".  Twisted Toon inferred my meaning exactly.  For those of us still playing NCSoft hosted games, that possibility still exists they could simply update the eula to cover our accounts for past, present, and future games.  And frankly they should so they can have more freedoms.  But those who are not playing a current NCSoft hosted game would be left out in the cold.  That is unless NCSoft finds another way to update the eula in a clearly "signed" way like continued playing signifies your acceptance of the new eula with those of you not playing any NCSoft game joining another of their games.

I won't hold my breath for any such solution.  But I will say this to Cryptic Studios or any other company considering buying CoH,  I don't care if I have to start from zero.  I suspect a good number of you given the choice between starting from nothing or not having the game back would choose the former.
No Surrender!

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24977 on: June 20, 2016, 10:50:59 PM »
No Surrender!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #24978 on: June 20, 2016, 11:04:45 PM »
IIRC, NCsoft introduced a new account system to replace the master account sometime in late 2011 or early 2012. At the time it was shut down, COH was one of I think two games (I forget the other) that hadn't been migrated to the new system yet.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24979 on: June 21, 2016, 12:01:34 AM »
There you have it.  CoH accounts put out of their misery via TATS (Turbo Account Termination System).  Why settle for nuking accounts when you can totally rip the head off of the system storing the accounts.
No Surrender!