Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7293972 times)

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #20620 on: November 28, 2015, 03:59:16 PM »
What is Nexon? Sorry I am a big ignorant to this. New developments or a possiblity?

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20621 on: November 28, 2015, 04:28:11 PM »
With Nexon out the way we can rule that out as a source of frustration or speculation.

Be interesting to see what the next crumb of info is.

Oh for a game of CoH right now.

Patience.

Azrael.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 04:34:55 PM by Azrael »

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #20622 on: November 28, 2015, 05:36:07 PM »
What is Nexon? Sorry I am a big ignorant to this. New developments or a possiblity?
Nexon is another Korean software company. Their main focus has been games for mobile platforms. They purchased a significant (but nowhere near controlling) chunk of NCsoft stock as an investment and to facilitate closer collaboration between the companies. Apparently the top executives in both companies are/were old friends, but that did not prevent irreconcilable differences on how to run NCsoft from creeping in and Nexon made a takeover bid as NCsoft did their own financial maneuvers to block it. High level executive drama/ownership fights generally leads to massive uncertainty within the involved companies and lower level employees hunkering down and avoiding making waves or attracting too much attention until matters stabilize.

Edit: Also the original NCsoft/Nexon investment deal was in the works a bit before the City of Heroes shutdown was announced and may possibly have factored into the decision to shutter CoH, but NCsoft was already in the process of shifting away from maintaining a Western based and focused gaming division, so it's not clear how much of a factor the deal was in the decision to close Paragon Studios. i personally doubt it was all that significant, but i'm not in a position to know with any certainty.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 05:43:04 PM by Nyx Nought Nothing »
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #20623 on: November 28, 2015, 07:40:14 PM »
I think what it all comes down to is; everything except what appears in the "Wake me up when there's news" thread is (for the most part) supposition, and speculation.  That is not meant as a slight to anyone.  There are just not any facts to be found!  They have been very careful to keep the lid tight on anything pertinent to the deal, and they have managed to do that even in this day-and-age when it is hard to keep anything secret for very long.  Even if someone came into some legitimate tidbit of information; posting it here, or anywhere could potentially serve to scuttle the negotiations, and the folks in the midst of it all are certainly in no position to confirm anything for the same reason.  So, we really won't know anything for sure until they want us to.  What we are left with is peripheral bits of information that we do our best to digest and project into what is going on.

I am in the same boat as everyone else in my earnest wish to see something appear in that thread before it's first birthday (in February), but in the end I think I would rather know nothing than to let myself give in to false hope created by information that is simply not from the players doing the actual deal, since they are the only ones who have any real information.  It sucks that they cannot keep us up to date on every development, good or bad, but that is the way it has been since the beginning, and in reality nothing has changed much since then.

I for one will be wishing really hard for a CoH gift for Christmas, and if I got that gift, I would really not need anything else.  In the meantime, at least there is Paragon Chat to keep the dream alive! 8)
What was no more, is now reborn!

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20624 on: November 28, 2015, 08:41:58 PM »
City of Heroes will come back I'm very confident that it will. I don't care what's the conditions are as long as we have our City back then, I will be satisfied. I don't know how long it will take but, I still check this forum daily. Yes, I also get anxious sometimes but, I'm smart enough not to post it here and leads to more speculations about the deal.  ;)  8)

Stitchified

• Boss
  • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers.
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #20625 on: November 28, 2015, 09:27:26 PM »
Some people think this game is like trying to buy the entire WoW IP from Blizzard. The reality is that it is a closed game. The IP has a small value to a multi-billion dollar company and during the middle of a merger and then the power struggle afterwards the lower level guys didn't want to make any waves. This is normal. Keep your head down, do your job make few changes and see who wins.

If Nexon wins then you do things their way now - if NCSoft wins you carry on.
I hope that everything is progressing in a good direction for us, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if the lower level guys are still keeping their heads down.

I know this is off topic (Ima say it anyway :P ) but
I wonder how Yoon Song-yee (Aka the President of NCsoft and Husband to the Founder of NCsoft) is doing, given that it's almost been a full year since she became the President of NCsoft...

Stitchified

• Boss
« Reply #20626 on: November 28, 2015, 09:44:19 PM »
Just wanna let you know that you have nothing to be sorry for, you did nothing wrong... that we know of :P

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20627 on: November 29, 2015, 03:23:16 AM »
Just wanna let you know that you have nothing to be sorry for, you did nothing wrong... that we know of :P
If there are no presents under the tree come Christmas, we'll know for sure if there was naughtiness or not.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #20628 on: November 29, 2015, 12:20:34 PM »
I know this is off topic (Ima say it anyway :P ) but
I wonder how Yoon Song-yee (Aka the President of NCsoft and Husband to the Founder of NCsoft) is doing, given that it's almost been a full year since she became the President of NCsoft...

Maybe its because I just got up, but the syntax of this sentence makes no sense to me.  :o

I think what it all comes down to is; everything except what appears in the "Wake me up when there's news" thread is (for the most part) supposition, and speculation.  That is not meant as a slight to anyone.  There are just not any facts to be found!  They have been very careful to keep the lid tight on anything pertinent to the deal, and they have managed to do that even in this day-and-age when it is hard to keep anything secret for very long.  Even if someone came into some legitimate tidbit of information; posting it here, or anywhere could potentially serve to scuttle the negotiations, and the folks in the midst of it all are certainly in no position to confirm anything for the same reason.  So, we really won't know anything for sure until they want us to.  What we are left with is peripheral bits of information that we do our best to digest and project into what is going on.

I am in the same boat as everyone else in my earnest wish to see something appear in that thread before it's first birthday (in February), but in the end I think I would rather know nothing than to let myself give in to false hope created by information that is simply not from the players doing the actual deal, since they are the only ones who have any real information.  It sucks that they cannot keep us up to date on every development, good or bad, but that is the way it has been since the beginning, and in reality nothing has changed much since then.

I for one will be wishing really hard for a CoH gift for Christmas, and if I got that gift, I would really not need anything else.  In the meantime, at least there is Paragon Chat to keep the dream alive! 8)

regardless what caused the shutdown, it is my no-BS opinion (minus conspiracy theories and usual craziness) that the hold-up we are encountering is due to the THeM having to prove developer viability.

"huge progress" could mean a step towards that direction. My best guess is that NCSoft is requesting to see a published, modern style, professional quality MMO with the THeM's own hosting and financial systems before the sale can take place. Though the server image may be undergoing any fixes and preparations for maintenance mode in the meantime (heck, that part may be done awaiting developer viability proof). They also need to set-up their own shop system with the equivalent to NC coins. And there's the addition/removal of company names in the ToS and subsequent client software, such as adding the THeM's company name and insignia onto the client graphically and written, in place of Paragon Studios. Or the legal work necessary to hand paragon studios over to the THeM.

most of what is happening is probably mundane stuff like that, or a waiting game for progress on a non-beta release (Alpha or gold release) of their current game title.

we must remember any progress the THeM make has to be carefully considered before they go telling NCSoft, aka, they have to make sure it's Quality Work, before it goes anywhere near NCSoft.

lets just wait and see what happens. with any luck we'll hear something /TOMORROW/, wow! tomorrow is TEH 30ith of November!!!

NUUWAI!!!  ;D
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20629 on: November 29, 2015, 06:40:24 PM »
Maybe its because I just got up, but the syntax of this sentence makes no sense to me.  :o

regardless what caused the shutdown, it is my no-BS opinion (minus conspiracy theories and usual craziness) that the hold-up we are encountering is due to the THeM having to prove developer viability.

"huge progress" could mean a step towards that direction. My best guess is that NCSoft is requesting to see a published, modern style, professional quality MMO with the THeM's own hosting and financial systems before the sale can take place. Though the server image may be undergoing any fixes and preparations for maintenance mode in the meantime (heck, that part may be done awaiting developer viability proof). They also need to set-up their own shop system with the equivalent to NC coins. And there's the addition/removal of company names in the ToS and subsequent client software, such as adding the THeM's company name and insignia onto the client graphically and written, in place of Paragon Studios. Or the legal work necessary to hand paragon studios over to the THeM.

most of what is happening is probably mundane stuff like that, or a waiting game for progress on a non-beta release (Alpha or gold release) of their current game title.

we must remember any progress the THeM make has to be carefully considered before they go telling NCSoft, aka, they have to make sure it's Quality Work, before it goes anywhere near NCSoft.

lets just wait and see what happens. with any luck we'll hear something /TOMORROW/, wow! tomorrow is TEH 30ith of November!!!

NUUWAI!!!  ;D
Is there a reason for the hope for the 30th? What makes it special?

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #20630 on: November 29, 2015, 07:25:52 PM »
Is there a reason for the hope for the 30th? What makes it special?

The actual shutdown date. To me, the game died the moment they announced it was shutting down. Old school mmos are a slow burn. You have to be invested for the marathon. I think I logged on in 4 or 5 times and it was mainly to say hi to friends.

I did almost... Almost ... Look to purple and rare hamidon enhance a PB but I figured I could mess with that on mids for kicks whenever I wanted to.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Stitchified

• Boss
« Reply #20631 on: November 29, 2015, 10:00:58 PM »
In January of this past year, the Wife of the Founder of NCsoft, Yoon Song-yee became the President of NCsoft, so I'm curious as to how her first year as President of NCsoft has gone in the eyes of customers. I mean, the ONLY thing I've heard this year about NCsoft in the News was the whole Nexon-NCsoft drama, there have been no news on what people think of Yoon.
the legal work necessary to hand paragon studios over to the THeM.
You do realize that Paragon Studios doesn't exist anymore right? NCsoft liquidated them

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20632 on: November 30, 2015, 01:09:56 AM »
I feel even if we managed to get the IP, that amassing a following large enough to sustain any planned projects would be the next biggest leap.

Too much time has passed, I believe most of the would-be paying audience has given up at this point.

The regulars here on the ol' titan forums are quite a few, and knowledgeable, but not enough to sustain a game.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 01:15:05 AM by Waffles »

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20633 on: November 30, 2015, 01:22:34 AM »
I feel even if we managed to get the IP, that amassing a following large enough to sustain any planned projects would be the next biggest leap.

Too much time has passed, I believe most of the would-be paying audience has given up at this point.

The regulars here on the ol' titan forums are quite a few, and knowledgeable, but not enough to sustain a game.

But that's why and when we spread the news once things are finally a success.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20634 on: November 30, 2015, 01:27:25 AM »

A day doesn't go by I don't run into a former player who tells me they really miss CoH.  I'm certain they'd come back to the party if we can get it running again.
No Surrender!

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #20635 on: November 30, 2015, 02:42:41 AM »
What makes me extremely agitated, is the amount of people saying in CO(from various sources of people) that CoH isn't coming back, or they believe it's not coming back cause -they- didn't get news when they wanted it  >:(.
I want news too, hell, I'd love some kinda info/positive reinforcement whenever I want it, but that's unfortunately not how deals work, especially one's not in America/Western style, such as this one.

Anyway, on a more positive note, I think I figured out who I'm making first; A Fire/Fire/Fire Dom. Less of PITA to manage in iTrials :D
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #20636 on: November 30, 2015, 02:51:37 AM »

NUUWAI!!!  ;D

None of these things should take 2 years to accomplish.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20637 on: November 30, 2015, 03:16:27 AM »
None of these things should take 2 years to accomplish.

Not even the entire 'published, modern-style, professional quality MMO' part we all just kinda let slide by without comment?

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20638 on: November 30, 2015, 04:01:32 AM »
What makes me extremely agitated, is the amount of people saying in CO(from various sources of people) that CoH isn't coming back, or they believe it's not coming back cause -they- didn't get news when they wanted it  >:(.
I want news too, hell, I'd love some kinda info/positive reinforcement whenever I want it, but that's unfortunately not how deals work, especially one's not in America/Western style, such as this one.

Anyway, on a more positive note, I think I figured out who I'm making first; A Fire/Fire/Fire Dom. Less of PITA to manage in iTrials :D

I tend not to take people seriously when they act so pessimistic about CoH, when they themselves play a complete piece of trash.

Let the rats feed on the trash, while those of us with class go about our day.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:07:36 AM by Waffles »

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20639 on: November 30, 2015, 04:04:09 AM »
Not even the entire 'published, modern-style, professional quality MMO' part we all just kinda let slide by without comment?
and if ncsoft wants to see a polished mmo, you could do that and publish it and not pay ncsoft a cent. for a maintenence level old mmo......