Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7294906 times)

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #19820 on: October 13, 2015, 07:00:19 AM »
Honestly, I should have given up on MMOs LONG ago. I really am just a CoH fan and not a MMO fan.

The reason? No game can create a world and enough content to make a living world interesting enough year round to stay in.

CoH got the movement, character creation, powers and combat right so anything they did after that was gravy. A Halo developer said before the release of the original game that Halo would boil down to 30 seconds of gameplay over and over again but would that gameplay be worth playing over and over. CoH had that for us.

Bored with the content? Try a new AT, costume, travel power and find a chat channel to kill time with.

This is why I'm worried about the successors. Trying to recreate that magic with the gameplay, even if you follow CoH's template with tweaks, 20/20 hindsight and advanced tech, is dicey.

Excellent points!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #19821 on: October 13, 2015, 07:23:46 AM »
Honestly, I should have given up on MMOs LONG ago. I really am just a CoH fan and not a MMO fan.

The reason? No game can create a world and enough content to make a living world interesting enough year round to stay in.

CoH got the movement, character creation, powers and combat right so anything they did after that was gravy. A Halo developer said before the release of the original game that Halo would boil down to 30 seconds of gameplay over and over again but would that gameplay be worth playing over and over. CoH had that for us.

Bored with the content? Try a new AT, costume, travel power and find a chat channel to kill time with.

This is why I'm worried about the successors. Trying to recreate that magic with the gameplay, even if you follow CoH's template with tweaks, 20/20 hindsight and advanced tech, is dicey.

Couldn't agree more with you :)

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #19822 on: October 13, 2015, 07:43:29 AM »
Well one game stolen from me has finally been fully resurrected illegal or not I don't really care at this point.

SWG now has a leaked official source code nge server where everything up till the final publish seems to work flawlessly. I ran around and tested combat, fought npcs, placed a house, used vehicles, traveled to Mustafar, Corellia and Naboo to name a few. I see that the speeder for me quest was active but didn't test quests yet. Like a dream come true I literally cried. Then I thought Damn... why couldn't this of happened for CoH as well? I guess some dev thought that the swg community had already been through enough hell and hooked someone up with it.

I don't know what steps they are taking to avoid being shut down but they must of had a plan already or they wouldn't of purchased a sweet new server upgrade. It also got a nice write up on Massively so they obviously don't care what disney thinks.

For now it's in test server mode with blue frogs and everything so expect character wipes. Also realize the possibility of a shut down but atleast it's something while waiting on the legal project swgnge (which will likely take years to finish)

SWG was very unique like CoH with an overall good community and environment to play. And like us, most of them haven't played anything else since shutdown or atleast not nearly as much.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 07:52:33 AM by Noyjitat »

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #19823 on: October 13, 2015, 12:07:36 PM »
I thought the main SWG Emu push was for a pre- NGE game?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19824 on: October 13, 2015, 02:36:10 PM »
What goes up must come down :( wasn't there a Russian satellite that fell from orbit recently?

Did it fall, or was it deliberately crashed?

Muahahahahahaaaaaaa!!!!  ;D

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19825 on: October 13, 2015, 02:41:51 PM »
I a starting to wonder if the Paragon studios team did something to the server image before leaving.. you know the "last line from link in legend of zelda the animated series episode 12" (and the last in the series)

I'm starting to wonder if they left some worm on the server that after the shutdown strikes would re-write the whole server image with page after page of "Well-Excuuuuuuse me!" or "At least I still have a job".

or maybe they jumbled the whole server image to make it unreadable.

these are my worries.

remember, NCSoft has no beef with us or the Them, they had beef with several paragon employees. They will be willing to sell it to us. so why the hold-up? something has to be wrong. unless the stall due to the nexon drama took most of the negotiation time thus far.... that would really make me dislike Nexon.

Hey NCSoft can we get a teaser yet?! surely something can be released about this that wont cause any security issues!

NCSoft had a beef with a COUPLE of employees. It wasn't a widespread issue as some Devs have gone on to work on other NCSoft projects. What the group is working for is a server image - a snapshot of the last day the game was running. Now I don't know if this would include I-24 on the Test server or not. Obviously once the deal is done the tie in servers for the market and so on still need to be built. You will need account servers that are secure and so on.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #19826 on: October 13, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »
From what I remember is you are correct the SWG emu teamed wanted a pre-cu server. They got at that time Sony onlines ok, as well as Lucas Arts to make a pre cu server, they just cannot charge for anything.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #19827 on: October 13, 2015, 05:24:47 PM »

Swgemu has been long completed and was either pre-cu or pre-nge (cant remember)
But many people actually did grow to love nge so a few emulation projects have been in development for awhile. Then suddenly out of no where this leaked source code server emerged.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19828 on: October 13, 2015, 05:57:38 PM »
Swgemu has been long completed

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat???
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #19829 on: October 13, 2015, 06:06:21 PM »
No....no its not it is still lacking JTL because the dev team seem to insist on geting jedi in before they even work on JTL even though supposedly JTL is supposed to be super easy for them to impliment.......am i bitter at them focusing on mystical powers and light bats rather then Wars in the stars ? NOOOOO!
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #19830 on: October 13, 2015, 06:14:21 PM »
I must be thinking of a different swgemu project then. I know more than a few of them exist.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19831 on: October 13, 2015, 06:22:34 PM »
I missed the boat on SWG proper, so I've been waiting for the emulator to be complete before jumping in.

I thought http://www.swgemu.com/ was the only emulator effort.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19832 on: October 13, 2015, 08:30:52 PM »

I think I could say the same thing about me and CoH vs other mmorpgs.  I actually tend to hate mmorpgs to, because it's the same crap over and over and over again.  And they never really do anything other than simply cover up that repetitiveness without making it feel fun or exciting in any way.  Instead they tend to rely entirely on rewards.

CoH didn't really do that, it appeared to somewhat at first but in the end looking back at it, was it the purple recipe that made you play or even that very rare incarnate component?  Or was it that moment where you dived into the mobs fully fulcrum shifted and pulverized them with an inferno, or rained death on them with rain of arrows...or shoved them into a corner and knocked them for a loop with all your storm powers?  I'm pretty sure its the fact you were having fun kicking so much butt :).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19833 on: October 13, 2015, 08:32:16 PM »
I a starting to wonder if the Paragon studios team did something to the server image before leaving.. you know the "last line from link in legend of zelda the animated series episode 12" (and the last in the series)

I'm starting to wonder if they left some worm on the server that after the shutdown strikes would re-write the whole server image with page after page of "Well-Excuuuuuuse me!" or "At least I still have a job".

or maybe they jumbled the whole server image to make it unreadable.

these are my worries.

As a practical matter, that's impossible.  First of all, the Paragon devs did not have direct access to the servers: like the way most MMOs are operated they could only send server updates to the server operations team in Austin, and the server ops would load it onto the servers.  So the Paragon devs could not simply log in remotely and tamper with the software or load extraneous software.  Hypothetically speaking they could have loaded some sort of timebomb into the software itself, but the problem there is that the live servers were running I23, and when I23 was loaded there wasn't any good reason for them to do that.  Even if some programmers thought something was up during I24 development that could only have affected the beta server.

And then there's the question of why.  What possible motivation could there be?  Writing a timebomb into the server software doesn't make sense if you think NCSoft was going to just shut the servers off.  In fact, we know the live servers were still running and fully operational *after* the official shutdown time, because we were all logged into them.  Because the server op team was just casually shutting down the servers after the official shutdown time one by one, each server shut down at a different time and significantly after the "official" time.  There was no coordination to the shutdown because unlike in some other games that shutdown (i.e. Matrix Online) there wasn't a shutdown "event." 

Once the servers were shutdown, it would be impossible for server malware to have any effect.  The only thing malware could have done is shut down the servers early, which we know it didn't do.  So it makes no sense to do, and we have direct observational evidence it didn't happen.  So this particular conspiracy theory scores a zero on the credibility meter.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19834 on: October 13, 2015, 08:45:37 PM »

CoH got the movement, character creation, powers and combat right so anything they did after that was gravy.

I wouldn't go that far, at least for most players.  I think CoH added enough content, and the right content, to keep people interested over time.  Personally, I think Paragon's content development speed was way too slow by an order of magnitude in terms of trying to expand the game and make it worth advertising to new players.  But in terms of retaining the players it had and keeping enough new players entering to replace older players leaving, they produced the right ratio of playable content and development content.  Put simply, missions verses powersets and enhancements.  They were not fast enough honestly to keep people interested in just new content.  And more powersets and enhancements without something new to use them on can get too repetitive.  But the right balance between new ways to make characters and new things to play those characters in can multiply to make things interesting enough to long term players to keep things from getting stale.

I know travel powers were the initial hook for me, but travel powers alone wouldn't have kept me around as long as I did.  For me the game evolved enough to keep things fresh enough to make CoH a long-term passion.  CoH was not the same game throughout its lifetime, nor was I the same player.  At one time, just making characters was interesting enough to keep my interest.  Then it was leveling them and playing the powerset combinations top 50.  Then it was coming up with invention builds and Mids-jockeying.  There was a span where I spent most of my time in the Architect.  And towards the end about half my time was running Incarnate trials and building up my characters' Incarnate levels.  There were times I got bored with the game and took short or medium breaks from playing, and those breaks were very useful to keep from being burned out.  But there was always something that changed the game for me and made it sufficiently new again that I wanted to dive back in and play it for hours on end.

I don't think I was the typical player by any means, but I don't think I was alone in this particular respect.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #19835 on: October 13, 2015, 10:17:22 PM »
I wouldn't go that far, at least for most players.  I think CoH added enough content, and the right content, to keep people interested over time.  Personally, I think Paragon's content development speed was way too slow by an order of magnitude in terms of trying to expand the game and make it worth advertising to new players.  But in terms of retaining the players it had and keeping enough new players entering to replace older players leaving, they produced the right ratio of playable content and development content.  Put simply, missions verses powersets and enhancements.  They were not fast enough honestly to keep people interested in just new content.  And more powersets and enhancements without something new to use them on can get too repetitive.  But the right balance between new ways to make characters and new things to play those characters in can multiply to make things interesting enough to long term players to keep things from getting stale.

I know travel powers were the initial hook for me, but travel powers alone wouldn't have kept me around as long as I did.  For me the game evolved enough to keep things fresh enough to make CoH a long-term passion.  CoH was not the same game throughout its lifetime, nor was I the same player.  At one time, just making characters was interesting enough to keep my interest.  Then it was leveling them and playing the powerset combinations top 50.  Then it was coming up with invention builds and Mids-jockeying.  There was a span where I spent most of my time in the Architect.  And towards the end about half my time was running Incarnate trials and building up my characters' Incarnate levels.  There were times I got bored with the game and took short or medium breaks from playing, and those breaks were very useful to keep from being burned out.  But there was always something that changed the game for me and made it sufficiently new again that I wanted to dive back in and play it for hours on end.

I don't think I was the typical player by any means, but I don't think I was alone in this particular respect.

When you get something that clicks with you and you play it for years it's hard to let go. A few years from launch I could see other games surpass it technically but I refused to effe with happy.

I don't know if CoX from scratch on today's market would work as is. It had a head start and 10s of thousands of addicts before other options came about.

As for too much? I've had 3 years of trying other games and only briefly had a thrill with them (Warframe isn't bad, but the HR Giger look gets old after a while). I'm to the point I may unplug my consoles from the Internet go through 10 years of games I ignored due to CoX taking up my time.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #19836 on: October 13, 2015, 11:30:37 PM »
I missed the boat on SWG proper, so I've been waiting for the emulator to be complete before jumping in.

I thought http://www.swgemu.com/ was the only emulator effort.

Yeah I don't know what mmos other than city of heroes that you've played. But if you liked the pace of combat in City of Heroes, you'd like an nge server more. Original swg was a much slower paced game and it lacks all the great new content and features that came later on. Including the chronicles system which was the swg version of AE. All versions of swg have pro's and con's of course; which is why some stayed and others wanted that pre-nge server instead.

Projectswg is a legal emulation effort of an nge server that I've been following for a few years now: http://www.projectswg.com/cmps_index.php

You can expect it to be complete eventually but it's going to be a long haul.

SWGReborn is the leaked source code version: https://swgreborn.com/forums/index.php?forums/

It's in testing and includes all of the features swg had until it's shutdown. You can sign up and play provided you have your swg dvd/cds or a steam account with the game. Or a nice friend to rip the files for you. Just follow the setup instructions. Expect character wipes once testing completes because dev mode features are active so you can grant yourself armor and gear to play around.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19837 on: October 14, 2015, 03:21:37 AM »
Woooh 1,000,000+ reads!
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19838 on: October 14, 2015, 04:20:29 AM »
So this particular conspiracy theory scores a zero on the credibility meter.

A conspiracy theory with zero credibility?? What?!?!?!?!?!?

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #19839 on: October 14, 2015, 12:48:41 PM »

For certain, one of the things that kept me interested in the game was the archetype/primary/secondary framework.  Many games try to fill a particular niche with one or two classes, each with a few signature powers.  In City of Heroes, not only could I play a controller (the AT that really captured me early in the game; for quite a while I played practically nothing else), but I could come up a metric ton of different controllers that could fill a similar role but still feel distinctly different to play.  An Ill/Rad felt like a new experience after an Earth/Thermal, for example, but still satisfied the same basic need.  And you can take that further: an Earth/Rad and an Ill/Thermal would still feel distinct, and even within the exact same primary/secondary selection, you could create quite a mechanically different character than someone else through your selection of powers, slot allocation, power pools, invention build and incarnates.  The aesthetic customization possible in CoH was often praised as above and beyond, but I don't think the MMO community recognized how much genuine room there was for mechanical customization.  This also meant that every time a new powerset was introduced, a huge number of possibilities were opened up.

I have a list of about 35 characters I'm interested in making should the opportunity arise, and I could easily make that list considerably longer.  I can't imagine another game that would generate anywhere close to the same number.

As I mentioned above, I tended towards controllers early in my career.  This remained true to some extent throughout, but I went through phases of different ATs.  It was somewhat of a surprise to me that a scrapper became my "main" over time, the character I had the most playtime on.  That character also became my badger when I went through that period, which in turn got me to delve into PvP for a little while.  Similarly, there were periods when I focused on incarnates, AE, invention builds, or developing a solo SG base.  About the only thing I can think of that never really hooked me was the marketeering, though I certainly made use of the market.

So no, I don't think you were alone at all in that respect.