Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7295169 times)

Tyger42

• Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #19720 on: October 05, 2015, 03:05:13 AM »
Alright, Wolf, no need to get snippy. 5 months of absolutely no updates tends to make one a little twitchy, though. Even if the update is "things are still in the works, no more can be said" goes a long way to easing worries.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19721 on: October 05, 2015, 03:33:49 AM »
Alright, Wolf, no need to get snippy. 5 months of absolutely no updates tends to make one a little twitchy, though. Even if the update is "things are still in the works, no more can be said" goes a long way to easing worries.

That is the same kind of thing I asked about 10 million posts ago.
Just a weekly or monthly, "Hey, I just checked in with the team, everything is on-track."
I know that might get boring for IW, but just a little something.

So, I gave up on this thread and started "helping" by posting on the complete fake news thread.
At least on that thread, there's some news each week.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19722 on: October 05, 2015, 03:36:51 AM »
I was snippy?

Sorry if it came over that was not grumpy! I was just checking fast!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19723 on: October 05, 2015, 03:44:47 AM »
I was snippy?

The Iron Wolf is never snippy.  Grumpy, angry or forceful, but never snippy.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19724 on: October 05, 2015, 03:48:44 AM »
That is the same kind of thing I asked about 10 million posts ago.
Just a weekly or monthly, "Hey, I just checked in with the team, everything is on-track."
I know that might get boring for IW, but just a little something.

So, I gave up on this thread and started "helping" by posting on the complete fake news thread.
At least on that thread, there's some news each week.

We all want news but I don't honestly think hearing the same thing again would help.  It feels like it would but if all you heard again was "Still no news but the deal is ongoing" every week I don't think it would be any better then silence.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19725 on: October 05, 2015, 04:08:19 AM »
Yeah, but silence can mean that everything looks like it has fell apart and he doesn't have the heart to say that until to is certain.
Where as a note on a regular basis tells us that somebody is actively doing something.
We are being told to stop asking how it's going and wait patiently without any feedback as to where things are at if things are even at anyplace.
When you are one of the one's doing stuff behind the scenes, it is easy to think that silence is golden, but when you haven't a clue what anyone is doing, it's reassuring to hear that somebody "checked in" with the team recently and everything's fine.

If you look at the first post on this thread, the last entry on the timeline was September 1st ... of last year.
They didn't even say, October 14th, NDA issued for all parties invloved.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 01:52:25 AM by Paragon Avenger »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19726 on: October 05, 2015, 04:16:17 AM »
Yeah, but silence can mean that everything fell apart and he doesn't have the heart to say that until to is certain.
You just contradicted yourself.

If everything fell apart, then it is certain.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19727 on: October 05, 2015, 04:19:40 AM »
Ya'll ask the exact same question and get the exact same answer every time. It's repetitive and a waste of everyone's time, yours for asking and theirs for replying. Waiting and chatting passes the time much more productively.

When you are one of the one's doing stuff behind the scenes, it is easy to think that silence is golden, but when you haven't a clue what anyone is doing, it's reassuring to hear that somebody "checked in" with the team recently and everything's fine.
Nah, it's pretty easy even when you're on the outside. Case in point, me. I don't know a gol' durn thing that's going on over in Hail Mary land, and yet I've remained optimistic and haven't begged for news a single time. I know that when there is news to share, someone will share it. Until then, chatting happens.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19728 on: October 05, 2015, 04:48:43 AM »
This would be a great month for a deal, swtor is crashing and losing a lot of subs. more horrible decisions by the dev team. mandatory level sync. Makes me realize how inspired coh devs were with the sidekick system and mentoring

Mageman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19729 on: October 05, 2015, 11:45:28 AM »
Breaking Bogus News!

The team has actually succeeded in purchasing CoX and they're working on getting everything up and running for December 1st! That way the game will be back exactly 3 years after they went down!

This Breaking Bogus News story has been brought to you out of sheer boredom!
My Reality:
#1 I love my wife!
#2 I miss CoX!
#3 Refer to rule #1!
#4 I seem to have an itch!

Surelle

« Reply #19730 on: October 05, 2015, 12:00:56 PM »
Breaking Bogus News!

The team has actually succeeded in purchasing CoX and they're working on getting everything up and running for December 1st! That way the game will be back exactly 3 years after they went down!

This Breaking Bogus News story has been brought to you out of sheer boredom!

Please move this post  to its appropriate "Completely fake CoH fews (for fun while we wait for real updates)" thread.

No, there really is one, right here!   :)

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10212.0.html

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #19731 on: October 05, 2015, 12:38:50 PM »
I was snippy?

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, though. I really do appreciate the news. Even if the news is "no news". :p

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19732 on: October 05, 2015, 05:12:16 PM »
I don't mean to sound ungrateful, though. I really do appreciate the news. Even if the news is "no news". :p
if no news = 0 and  what we have is 0. 0+0 0*0 0-0 all = 0 = it doesn't count. 0/0 however ends the universe.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19733 on: October 05, 2015, 06:55:20 PM »
0/0 however ends the universe.
Or gets an amusing reply from Siri when she's asked to perform the maths.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19734 on: October 05, 2015, 08:01:23 PM »
if no news = 0 and  what we have is 0. 0+0 0*0 0-0 all = 0 = it doesn't count. 0/0 however ends the universe.

"if no news = 0" interestingly evokes three separate nasty bugs in most languages (broken variable name, boolean precedence, and accidental assignment).

Also, I'd probably pay a moderate amount to play CoH again if offered, but that's relative to what I can afford which is a lot.  Its worth always keeping in mind that "reasonable price" has two different perspectives.  First, everyone's ability to pay is different, what is a "reasonable expense" is different for different people, and in some cases that could approach zero.  But on the other hand, "reasonable cost" is what will properly compensate the game operators for acquiring and operating the game.  We can't assume they are offering a charity, as acquisition costs could be non-trivial and they are probably even bound to their financial backers to have a reasonable business plan to provide a reasonable return on investment.

Because there are likely to be no development or support costs related to development in an acquired game, the costs to subscribe or play could be significantly lower, but that assumes the purchase price isn't too high.  Just to calibrate people's scales, lets assume some almost certainly wrong numbers that just illustrate what costs might be.  Suppose the acquisition price ends up being, say, two million dollars.  And lets say that however that financing is structured, you need to return something analogous to about 5% interest on that money, and pay it back on something like a 7 year term.  You could use a mortgage calculator to estimate that the game operator has to make a minimum of about $30k a month to service that debt.  Lets say you assume 5000 people will pay to play the game, at least initially, being conservative.  That means you'll have to charge them $6/month to play.  That's on top of actual hosting costs - maybe a buck or two.  So that's eight bucks per subscriber, in a subscriber model, just to break even.

These numbers change radically when you change your assumptions.  I'm not suggesting that's what it would cost at all.  But I'm suggesting that what they may be compelled to charge depends on what it costs them to get and run the game, and those numbers are unlikely to be trivially small enough to ignore.  Pick your own assumptions and run the numbers.  Unless they have angel investors that literally don't care if they get their money back (unlikely but possible: it sometimes happens with cinema backers).  If they don't have to recoup acquisition costs (or they are improbably tiny) then costs per player could be arbitrarily small - a buck or two per player - that they could risk trying to get it all through F2P transactions.  But that's a big risk for a game that can't actually add anything to sell incrementally over time if costs per player are anything above tiny.

Paragon Studios had a lot of data and a lot of active players to extrapolate what F2P would cost and generate in revenue.  And they could add things to sell and adjust their model over time with new content.  Someone trying to restart the game today would be flying almost blind with both hands tied behind their backs.  I know we all want a game accessible to the most people possible, and I know many City fans cannot afford significant subscriber costs, but I'm not sure at this point how realistic it is to assume they will be able to pull off an F2P launch right from the start.  I have no specific facts to determine either way what anyone's plans are, but I personally am assuming that at least initially I'm likely to have to pay something to play the game.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19735 on: October 05, 2015, 08:44:09 PM »
I don't have inside information but using your numbers - if you had a one time fee of $19.99 to buy the game to get everything all vet rewards and so on and then a monthly $5 or the F2P model as it was left - I think you would do ok.

I would assume you could get 10,000 purchases or near that. Then the monthly fees or F2P purchases would drive the rest. I can see this being on Steam for certain, I know some people hate it - but I only open Steam when playing a game and then close it.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #19736 on: October 05, 2015, 08:58:40 PM »
I don't have inside information but using your numbers - if you had a one time fee of $19.99 to buy the game to get everything all vet rewards and so on and then a monthly $5 or the F2P model as it was left - I think you would do ok.

I would assume you could get 10,000 purchases or near that. Then the monthly fees or F2P purchases would drive the rest. I can see this being on Steam for certain, I know some people hate it - but I only open Steam when playing a game and then close it.
I like how you wrote this, I would more then $19.99 to get all the vet rewards, even $5 is worth a month. But I think a yearly package such as $60 would get a year worth of subs. Then they could add a month or 2 for free like they did before.
I would hope they would offer an alternative such as their own website, like you said some people like myself hate Steam.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Stitchified

• Boss
  • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers.
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #19737 on: October 05, 2015, 09:33:08 PM »
UPDATE September 30 2015:

NO, WE DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE DEAL. YES, THEY ARE UNDER AN NDA. YES, EFFORTS ARE STILL ONGOING. STOP ASKING. JUST CHAT AND WAIT. THANKS.

Question about this, Is the Team even allowed to say outright whether or not the deal is going good or bad? I mean, wouldn't that defeat the whole point of the NDA if something as small as whether or not the deal is going good or bad were to become common knowledge?

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19738 on: October 05, 2015, 09:57:58 PM »
Question about this, Is the Team even allowed to say outright whether or not the deal is going good or bad? I mean, wouldn't that defeat the whole point of the NDA if something as small as whether or not the deal is going good or bad were to become common knowledge?

Depends on the NDA and if it may or may not have a non disparagement clause. Seeing how they are not talking about it, it's probably part of the NDA.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19739 on: October 05, 2015, 10:02:26 PM »

Feels like its one of those not so fun pugs where it takes 30 minutes for everyone to reach the next door /em wait

no sense of urgency for NCSoft, they have other things on their mind.

I'm glad folks are trying to get the game revived, I just hope it doesn't take so long that folks moved on.