Author Topic: An AE mission in particular that you really miss?  (Read 4228 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
An AE mission in particular that you really miss?
« on: March 03, 2014, 09:27:58 PM »
A friend and I were reminiscing about CoH, and we got to AE missions that we had enjoyed. (Boy, I hate having to say that in past tense.) Toward the end of the game, I had a few "Venture Bros." tributes that I enjoyed running, and I was happy to find that someone had made a few "Venture Bros." AE missions. I think I ran all of my tributes through the mission to rescue Brock, Hank, Dean, and finally, Dr. Venture from The Monarch and his butterfly-themed minions. (It was the mission where, at the end, The Monarch asked something like, "Same time next week, then, Brock?") It was a blast to have my character, Dr. Butterfly (Dr. Girlfriend in her Dr. Mrs. the Monarch costume, which got no small amount of player attention), fighting against her husband. For lack of any other more-obvious power set, I made her a martial-arts stalker, because of her fighting in "I Know Why the Caged Bird Kills". I also very much enjoyed running Briana Morpheus in general (my Triana Orpheus tribute, and a Mind/Psionic dominator), and her having a hero mission to herself, and rescuing the Ventures, was great fun.

(Rounding out the list of my Venture tributes, for the curious: Dr. Venture became Dr. Dusty Ventura, a robot/FF MM [he stole the robot and FF-projector designs from his brother]; The Monarch became The Mighty Viceroy, an Arachnos widow for the wrist-mounted dart-shooters; and Dr. Myron Orpheus - my favorite character - became Dr. Byron Morpheus, a Psychic/Mental blaster. I tried making Brock as Brick Simson, but they offered no curly mullet, and Brock was more distinctive vocally, rather than physically.)

I so greatly miss doing that mission with those toons. Is there an AE mission, in particular, that you're homesick for?

(It occurs to me that this topic may already have been done in some form. If it has, please excuse the redundancy; currently, I'm not up to looking through 35 pages for it in this topic alone.)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:30:27 PM by Super Firebug »
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Kederren

• Minion
Re: An AE mission in particular that you really miss?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:07:22 PM »
I didn't get to play as much AE as i would have liked. There was too much dev content that I had not gotten to run yet(Fourth Ward and Night Ward). Plus, it was hard to weed out the PL/farming chaff from the better written stuff.

That said "Astoria in D Minor" kind of stuck with me.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 11:54:53 PM »

That's the one that I was going to say too - it had a very unique atmosphere.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 11:59:49 PM »
I liked "Two tickets to Westerly" - which was a very low level adventure that I used as an alternative to the 1-10 content on occasions about a skull girlfriend trying to extricate her man from the gang.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 01:01:34 AM »
Not a single one.

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
I have to mention Turgenev's work "The Ghost in the Machine", followed by the the two mentioned above.  There was one that absolutely  had my husband and I  rolling in the aisles though.  It was the "Fashion Police" very witty but it did make your eyes bleed. Another that I liked was "Who Killed Snowglobe?"

To get hints about the  ones to try I read the AE critique threads.  We had some great writers there and they had to know how to write tightly because they were limited in the beginning to three story arc slots.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 09:56:31 AM »
Oh and I forgot, but there was a hilarious one about somebody stealing the chest slider from Icon which REALLY made me laugh.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Mynx did it because she was pissed off at how little she got

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 11:04:45 AM »
I LOVED 'Animal Farm'. It was so clever and hilarious. My favorite characters were the machine gun-wielding pigs!
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »
The one I never finished writing.  :P
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 06:04:42 PM »
I only played a few of them because I preferred to be out in public playing the game.. but I enjoyed the Fashion Police missions.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

TriNitroToluene

• Minion
  • Triumph Server....the few, the proud, the pantless
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 01:53:04 PM »
I enjoyed "Who Killed Snow Globe?" very much also.  That may have been partially because it starred many Triumph regulars, but the missions were pretty darned good too.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 11:49:28 PM »
AE was interesting..It was funny to see all the players jam packed inside when it was new.

I liked it but I hated it soon because some AE's were ran to death just so folks could level up, get XP.

Later when that ran it's course, I liked custom AE's because some were so funny, clever...'Save Colonal Sanders', Evil McDonalds villains, lol.....I  created one with a half dozen CoH trainers, so I could see them actually do something....Got tired of seeing them just 'stand' in Atlas, Galaxy, Kings Row, etc.

It was nice to have an alternative shopping place, but perhaps that's just me.....  :roll:

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 07:26:01 PM »
I always like Bill Willingham's Arc. Can't recall the title but it was well written and fun to play.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 04:45:06 AM »

Pretty much all of the ones that @TheCheshireCat put out (like Astoria in G Minor) I loved. Signal: Noise, The Beating Heart of Astoria: A Play in Five Acts ...

... That last one became retroactively poignant for me, given the "souvenir" you're given at the end.

I only really played AE for the story-driven custom arcs, none of the "fire/kin troller clears map and clicks on a bomb" powerleveling stuff. Some of the other ones I liked include the ones that won Developer's Choice (The Most Important Thing by @Aisynia, Internship in the Fine Art of Revenge by @Twoflower, Who Dares Wins by @Zaphir) ...

I saved lots of screenshots of them, as I did with the regular arcs and the like.

Kederren

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 08:23:32 PM »
I couldn't play while at work, but I had/have internet access that I can use after I send all of the boys and girls home. I would check the forums routinely. Many of the AE authors would have their stories listed in their signatures. I wrote a lot of them down, expecting that there would be time to get to them later.

But, alas.....

That is my greatest disappointment with the shutdown.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 04:50:17 AM »
Not to sound selfish but I miss my own Ae arcs. All of them took me 1 year to finish, the only thing that was bad is the lack of other people playing them. I had to talk to my global friends to play through them.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 05:15:53 AM »
Remember the trailer/promotional videos for AE arcs that Bubbawheat put up on YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bubbawheat

He got me to try a lot of AE arcs he covered there.

Wulfen

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 09:26:47 AM »
Hehe, all mine were on Virtue:

The Bride of Vahzilok.   The doc is takin the plunge!

Hillbilly Cannibal Mayhem!  Git er done!

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 10:04:31 PM »
I didn't play it, but I found a cool write up of Astoria in D Minor: http://lparchive.org/City-of-Heroes/Update%2022/
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame