Author Topic: Whistle Stop Straw Poll  (Read 2340 times)

Cinnder

• Boss
Whistle Stop Straw Poll
« on: February 05, 2014, 07:34:12 PM »
If you're whistling a tune around the house and something temporarily interrupts you -- say you taste the jambalaya you are cooking or take a sip of coffee -- when you resume whistling do you continue precisely where you left off (as if the music had been paused) or do you join the song "in progress" as it has been continuing to play in your mind?

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: Whistle Stop Straw Poll
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 09:57:31 PM »
If you're whistling a tune around the house and something temporarily interrupts you -- say you taste the jambalaya you are cooking or take a sip of coffee -- when you resume whistling do you continue precisely where you left off (as if the music had been paused) or do you join the song "in progress" as it has been continuing to play in your mind?
If I'm whistling around the house, I'm either listening to music and whistling along with it, or my whistling is tuneless. So, the answer depends on whether I'm listening to music while I work. If so, then I pick up where the music is in progress. Otherwise, since there isn't a tune, I pick up where I left off.

Hope that makes some sort of (non)sense  :o
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

TriNitroToluene

• Minion
  • Triumph Server....the few, the proud, the pantless
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 01:56:52 AM »
Continue where I left off, generally.  I will also start the tune from the beginning.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 02:57:26 AM »
I don't whistle. It makes my cats go crazy and I'd rather avoid that.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 06:07:49 AM »
I don't whistle. It makes my cats go crazy and I'd rather avoid that.
Cats were born crazy. How can you avoid that?
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 11:35:36 AM »
I will sometimes spend the day at work wondering why I have a specific song stuck in my head.  When I go out to the car, I usually find that it's first song I hear on the stereo.  (I usually listen to music on the USB port, and it resumes where it left off when I turned the car off.)  Not quite the same thing, but similar.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 11:57:45 PM »
I will sometimes spend the day at work wondering why I have a specific song stuck in my head.  When I go out to the car, I usually find that it's first song I hear on the stereo.  (I usually listen to music on the USB port, and it resumes where it left off when I turned the car off.)  Not quite the same thing, but similar.

Whoa -- for a second I thought you were saying that the song in your head turns out to be the NEXT song to play in the car, like you have some sort of musical precognition!

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 03:41:24 AM »
Whoa -- for a second I thought you were saying that the song in your head turns out to be the NEXT song to play in the car, like you have some sort of musical precognition!
It's happened before, but it's usually with something that's getting a lot of airplay at the time.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 11:53:11 PM »
There are times I will be humming/whistling a song that hasn't been played for years, and soon, I'll hear it somewhere. It's happened too many times for me to dismiss. Same goes for people I  haven't seen or heard of for a long time......
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
Continue where i left off (tho in this case it would be humming  or singing as I rarely whistle.)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 04:13:05 PM »
Continue where I left off.
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive