Author Topic: SOE shutting down four of their MMOs.  (Read 9739 times)

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
Re: SOE shutting down four of their MMOs.
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 03:34:05 PM »
Does it count as killing a game if they saved it for a long time?
The title of "Most MMOs Killed" does not have an asterisk or caveat.

Once these dates pass SOE will have killed more MMOs than NCSoft.
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 11:54:42 PM »
swg atleast has full functional community servers now. Both Pre-Cu and NGE. The nge project is coming along quite nicely in such a short period of time.

Must of been a pretty easy server to reverse engineer and recode or alot of folks are working on it.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 03:53:56 AM »
Yes it's Wizardry Online and not Wizard 101.

NCSOFT didn't show anyone anything as other MMOs that weren't NCSOFT were shut down before NCSOFT shut down Auto Assault.

Lately it's been a wave of MMOs targeting children and tweens.  Besides the fact they don't have a credit card to buy stuff online which means they have to be able to get to a store that carries the various proxy currency cards to spend their allowance.  And not every store within walk/bike distance carries such cards it becomes a cash flow problem.

Then of course there is the nightmare PR scenario where some child predictor gets a victim from one of these games.  The endless use of such a tragedy by procedural police dramas would make sure that market will never be tapped every again.

Lastly, they are moving off the PC and onto mobile gaming.  The number of kids I see being weened on mobile or tablet gaming while out and about is mind boggling to me.  Combined with the fact that elementary school children carry cellphones usually smartphones means that the PC isn't a viable platform to market to them anymore.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 09:59:04 PM »
Which is better - NCsoft's "realignment of company focus" line, or SOE openly saying that they're canning Free Realms because they want to use the resources elsewhere?

I like this.  It still sucks they are getting their home taken away.  But at least its direct and honest.  I suppose its better to only be hurt instead of hurt and lied too.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 10:26:03 PM »
I like this.  It still sucks they are getting their home taken away.  But at least its direct and honest.  I suppose its better to only be hurt instead of hurt and lied too.

Yep and atleast Smed had the guts to face the costumers to answer their questions even if it was on reddit.

I've glanced threw some of the forums after the announcement, the players are taking it hard but it "seems" that. The SOE reps are trying to be up front, honest and supportive.

Some of the players (freerealms I think it was) where asking for them to sale the IP, I'm going to check back once and awhile to see what they say about that. It'd be nice if the could/would for the players that want to stay and if there was a company that'd support the game. Since they don't want to anymore.

I hope everything works out for the better. For the players of all four of those games. :(

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 03:00:56 AM »
Yep and atleast Smed had the guts to face the costumers to answer their questions even if it was on reddit.

I've glanced threw some of the forums after the announcement, the players are taking it hard but it "seems" that. The SOE reps are trying to be up front, honest and supportive.

Some of the players (freerealms I think it was) where asking for them to sale the IP, I'm going to check back once and awhile to see what they say about that. It'd be nice if the could/would for the players that want to stay and if there was a company that'd support the game. Since they don't want to anymore.

I hope everything works out for the better. For the players of all four of those games. :(

I don't know about Free Realms, but I do know Smedley was saying they couldn't sell the Vanguard IP. Might be the same with FR and Wizardry Online. He didn't say why, apparently the PR people were almost ODing on Tums as it was with him doing the AMAA, so there were some things he couldn't discuss.

Klendarin

• Underling
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 08:24:31 PM »
We have to remember that nobody ever promised that their games would last forever.

Actually, we were told we could play for free forever.  Stupid NCSoft...  :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0DKoutHf9M
AKA @Great_Cthulhu, Kelvoro, Virtue Server

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »
First off - I have to go home after this and tell my 12 year old daughter Rose that her favorite game is going away. I assure everyone out there that I will catch more grief from her than anyone else. She easily plays the game 20 hours a week

GO ROSE GO ROSE GO ROSE GO ROSE GIVE HIM HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I think when our online "home" goes away, we ALL become twelve-year-olds, at least in our hearts.

I'm sorry, little Rose wherever you are. I know its cold comfort, but there a lot of us out here who feel the same, even if we really are decades older than you.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 01:29:36 AM »
Side note: confirmed by Smedley, the new, unannounced game is NOT a Star Wars game ( :gonk: )

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 02:27:20 AM »
Side note: confirmed by Smedley, the new, unannounced game is NOT a Star Wars game ( :gonk: )

Sorry that disappoints you. 8-(

I am kind of hoping for a space themed game that isn't a franchised game... unless maybe they do Space 1999. :D

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 02:45:58 AM »
space 1999...

That could be a really good idea. Sadly, I don't think there are enough people who remember the original show.

I'd play it.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 08:22:38 AM »
Seeing as how they announced, back in November, that ALL Star Wars video games will be produced by EA for the next ten years, I'm fairly certain that no one who's informed even thought that it'd be a Star Wars game.
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 10:32:31 PM »
Seeing as how they announced, back in November, that ALL Star Wars video games will be produced by EA for the next ten years, I'm fairly certain that no one who's informed even thought that it'd be a Star Wars game.

Produced, sure. Doesn't necessarily mean someone other than EA (or any companies under EA's banner, such as Bioware) couldn't develop it. Look at that Attack Squadrons game. Would that be likely, no. Possible? Sure.

Anyway, I never expected it to be a SW game, or SWG2, or anything like that. I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a small piece of me that hoped that were the case though (hence the emoticon). A year ago, a similarly sized piece was hoping for a Paragon/CoH buyout from a large company such as Disney or Valve.

Jachim

• Underling
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2014, 12:12:27 PM »
I like how Smedley handled this, honestly.

Sure, it's still crappy that all these MMO's are being killed, and many of the players of those games will probably feel just as devestated as we all did when they murdered CoH in its prime.

I argue that NCSofts handling of the situation is the biggest offender of all. They barely said anything, kept tight lipped about why they were doing it and just were terrible at their PR of the whole situation.

Smedly, on the other hand, was quick to do an AMA on the subject and answered as honestly as he could possibly go, and even said 'I can't tell you why we can't sell the IP's of these games, but it's for very important business reasons'.
This doesn't make the decision better. Those 'business reasons' are horsecrap of course, it's all about reducing competition, and they KNOW if they sold the IP, they'd lose subscribers and revenue, they will still lose some but maybe a few will sub to another of their games etc etc.

BUT, at least he was as honest as he could be about it. Heck, we got some seriously straight forward stuff from that AMA, I liked it.

Again, crappy situation, but much MUCH better handling despite.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 07:45:40 PM »
The truth is, unlike NCSoft, We can make reasonable assumptions that most of these SOE games are probably not above water, definitely not the kid's games, which is why Disney is also trying to get out of that market, streamlining down to one game. I may not like it when a game is killed, but I don't expect one that's hemorrhaging to be allowed to continue to do so.

NCSoft, on the other hand has never admitted the status of Heroes. Other news sources have reported that the game itself was making money, even if Paragon as a studio was not. They just didn't like the game and wanted it gone. it was never a business decision.

As to why not outsource a game? Unlike when CoH was put out, games these days belong to half a dozen or more different entities... Different publishers and sub-contractors developing different aspects of the game, whether it's cut scenes, audio, character design, text, etc... The paperwork nightmare needed to unlock all those agreements makes open-sourcing a project not just unpalatable, but financially unsound. It's one reason that my beloved Star Trek Armada II was never open-sourced despite the still thriving community that grew up around it, someone somewhere in the chain decided that they didn't want their portion to be in the public domain, and so the whole thing stayed locked up. (officially anyway, unofficially there are dozens of fan projects out there free for the asking)
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2014, 03:20:05 AM »
He didn't say why, apparently the PR people were almost ODing on Tums as it was with him doing the AMAA, so there were some things he couldn't discuss.

LOL! I can actually see in my mind. Some guy in the back ground with a bottle of Tums. Popping it open every time Smedley said something like. "To be honest..." purring an handful and he starts chewing.

I can't get the image out of my head. LOL!

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2014, 04:48:08 AM »
LOL! I can actually see in my mind. Some guy in the back ground with a bottle of Tums. Popping it open every time Smedley said something like. "To be honest..." purring an handful and he starts chewing.

I can't get the image out of my head. LOL!

"Thank you, thank you. I'm here till next Thursday."  ;D

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2014, 05:25:58 AM »
SOE has a game being made that isn't announced yet?  I would have assumed that EQ Next was the only they are working on seeing how its one of the most ambitious games I have heard of yet.  And that wont be released until 2015 maybe even 2016 so whatever this secret project is.  Its a ways ways waayyyyyssss off

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2014, 04:50:32 PM »
SOE has a game being made that isn't announced yet?  I would have assumed that EQ Next was the only they are working on seeing how its one of the most ambitious games I have heard of yet.  And that wont be released until 2015 maybe even 2016 so whatever this secret project is.  Its a ways ways waayyyyyssss off

I think the name of the IP that was recently licensed it H1Z1. I know nothing about it, but sci-fi post apocalyptic space zombie virus something or other seems to be the speculation.

A lot of people are also speculating that it'll likely be based on the same tech as Next and Landmark, and just like with Next, players will be able to contribute to it through Landmark.

That doesn't say anything about how far out any significant information on it or a release for it is, but it means it might be closer than what we'd normally expect.