Author Topic: Wakfu English dub Kickstarter... started  (Read 2152 times)

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
Wakfu English dub Kickstarter... started
« on: January 20, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1836563008/wakfu-the-animated-series

English fan-subs of this show picked up a bit of a cult following a couple of years ago when it first aired in France, and Ankama Studios has been trying to get an American company to pick it up for years now, but they've shown little interest, so Ankama has decided to just dub it themselves and release them on Blu-Ray.

Goal is a modest $80,000 Canadian (their North American office is in Canada) to dub the first season, with stretch goals for Season 2, the movies, and the original French audio (with English subtitles).

I'm looking forward to this, though I'm not that fond of the voice actors for Percy and Eva in the demo movie.

Belated edit: according to posts in the Kickstarter's comments, Percy's voice actor in the demo movie (who is actually the same guy who played Numbuhs 1 and 2 in Kids Next Door!) will not necessarily be playing him for the actual dub.  They haven't started auditioning voice actors yet.

Anyway, they've mode their funding and their first two stretch goals (at $100,000 and $150,000), so Seasons 1 and 2 will be dubbed, the original French audio will be added to the discs, and there'll be subtitles in French, English, and Spanish.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:15:05 PM by Thunder Glove »

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
Re: Wakfu English dub Kickstarter... started
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 07:02:47 PM »
I guess I'm the only one following this :D  Not surprising, I guess - nobody ever knows or cares what I'm talking about when I mention Dofus and the company that makes it, Ankama.  This series - written and produced in-house at Ankama, which has a game development studio, an animation studio, and a comics publishing studio all in the same building - is set in the same world as Dofus, but a thousand years later in the timeline (and a dozen or so years after Dofus' sequel, Wakfu, the game the series is named after).

They made the $200,000 stretch goal (which is the dubbing of Season 2 - I don't know why I thought that was the $150,000 goal in my previous post), and added a new one between $200,000 and $300,000.

It's a cute series.  (I've seen the fansub) I think it falls apart a bit at the end of Season 2 (the last two episodes introduced an entire new country and their massive army into the mix and tried to give them all lots of face time and character development, instead of just focusing on the protagonists and the season's Big Bad, making the climatic final battle feel a bit rushed), and it has some weird storyline decisions (each season has a three-part episode - and both times, it's a sports-related episode that has nothing to do with the season's story arc), but in general it's a fun little action-comedy, emphasis (mostly) on the action.  Even the goofball idiot hero, though only the secondary protagonist, gets some serious character development.

So while it's not the greatest show I've ever watched (*coughcowboybebopcough*), it's still entertaining, and I hope the dub quality is good.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
Re: Wakfu English dub Kickstarter... started
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:16:28 PM »
So while it's not the greatest show I've ever watched (*coughcowboybebopcough*), it's still entertaining, and I hope the dub quality is good.

Cowboy Bebop.  One of the greatest animes of all time.  I wish they would do a live action version but if they ever did, they better not ruin it (not like that really crappy Dragonball: Evolution).