Author Topic: Heavy Weapon Toon  (Read 3173 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Heavy Weapon Toon
« on: January 19, 2014, 04:34:05 PM »
So, Probe 1985 (my Heavy Weapons freeform toon) is 38. I have two power options left and I don't know what to take. I've mostly been satisfied with his performance (I solo mostly but I seem to do my share of damage when I do Alerts for the XP bonus.)

Here's what I have so far in terms of powers:

Bludgeon (Rank 1)
Devour Essence (Rank 3)
Cleave (Rank 3)
Arc of Ruin (Rank 2)
Brimstone  (Rank 3)
Enrage (Rank 1)
Minitaruization(Rank 1 with Recipcrocating Gizmo Advantage)
Rebirth (Rank 1)
Invulnerability (Rank 3)
Support Drones (Rank 3)
Guard (Rank 3)
Decimate (Rank 1)
'=
Primary Stat is Strength
Secondary are Constitution and Recovery

Talents are:

Physical Conditioning
Relentless
Impresario
Quick Recovery
Tireless
Amazing Stamina

At this point I'm just looking for powers. I wouldn't mind doing a little more damage or being a little tougher. :D

So if there's something you all think I'm missing and really should have I'd appreciate the input. :D

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
Re: Heavy Weapon Toon
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »
You have room for an active defense or offense power, maybe even both.

Unbreakable(Damage shield) and aggressor (Damage, breakfree, +STR, +CON) are pretty solid combos.

You could also make Ascension(+heal, +damage, Breakfree, flight) your active offense because you have devour essence, and get Molecular Self-Assembly(Energy gain when powers come off cooldown.)
Spess

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »
Depends on what you want to solo...

Can't go wrong with Active Defenses and Unbreakable is usually top on my list.

If your Str and Con are already decent you could look at Lock n' Load, Ego Surge, Ice Sheath, as adding some extra damage & breakfree & ice sheath lets you chill mobs as well as do moar dmg, which, is always entertaining to me. Toss some (doesn't have to be a lot) points into Dex &/or invest in some crit gear for extra mileage with these 3.

With invul & some decent gear you should be able to survive Alerts well enough with just about any build.

>>

To make Ego Surge good you need Nimble Mind and I usually don't want to spend the points is why I usually don't pick that one.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:47:52 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:52:49 AM »
Awhile back when I was playing around with ideas for aoe agro/defense/dmg I was looking at Brimstone, for it's aoe KD. It also has that advantage that leaves a fire patch - I dunno if that fire patch works with the challenging strikes advantage?

Anyway..

Brimstone and Thunderclap on a decent recharge might be a decent combo. You can aoe KD, then aoe stun, then aoe kd - aoe kd, aoe stun, then things should be under control. KD and Stun are on different recharge timers so you can do 3 of both before mobs get that resist buff.

Only thing I don't like about Brimstone + Thunderclap is that Thunderclap has a longish recharge. The recharge will trigger MSA, which you could grab as that other power, if more energy would help you out.

A lot depends on how you play, what you want to do, as to what to pick next. There's so many options..

Hey, here's one for you. A circle power. Circle of Primal Dominion, for example. Lets see a mob knock you down when you stand in that thing. Rank it up and you have +400% Knock resist as well as extra damage resist + hp regen. I use it on Kos to stay on my feet doing Gravis. I think it heals your drones too...? It's supposed to be a self only heal but for some reason I seem to remember it working with drones before I retconned them out.

You could grab a team res if that would ever be handy.

You could get something that poisons, and then take the Phlebotomist advantage on Devour essence to get +150% healing. That's always nice.

You could get an Offense Passive - like Unbreakable Unstoppable, for when you want to go DPS and there is already a tank.

So many ways to go.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:36:59 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 03:03:57 PM »
So what did ya do?

I'm practically out of bandwidth for the month already so I can't log in to play.. the wiki is down..

This is my caffeine up in another world time and nothing's going on.

Sunday, I'm in Andrith.

I'm thinking to try a Manipulator (yes, Manipulator) build next. Have 2 dps builds backburned for when I run out of other ideas.

It took a lot of time due to I was all over the place with my builds but it paid off on my first two guys. They have achieved CoH Hotrods in my Garage status. Sitting there, motors humming, each fun on their own roads. Have to keep under the hood to make sure they purr. Add some more to the collection now and then..
Some Faves:

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 03:00:04 AM »
I actually haven't decided yet. :D

I've gotten him to 40 and I deferred that decision so I wouldn't have reason to rue a speedy decision. :D

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 03:06:02 PM »
If he was already fun enough to play to 40 without choosing his last two powers, that's a good sign.

So.. You aren't tanking, you aren't dps. You can do both but neither is your main thing.

If you are already basically happy with your build then I would recommend looking at Unstoppable + Unbreakable. Unbreakable is a good 'Oh Nos!' button for when things get overwhelming and Unstoppable will nearly double your dps for those times when there is a solid tank in the team or when you just wanna make things go poof faster (Q hour, etc). It has Knock resist built in, too. I always like that.

My Unleashed (after much practice/tweaking) can tank all Alerts in Melee role with Unstoppable, except Gravi, so, it's not like you'll become paper but it is of course significantly less protection than Invul, which, you won't care about if you're teamed with an attention hoe tank. If the tank drops or you're in a situation where you're getting smacked a lot - hit your Invul Build. Unlike Defiance, Invul doesn't have to warm up it is gtg on activation.

Quarry and Earth Form would work as Offense passives, too, but I think energy return in Unstoppable scales off of Rec and it also gives you moar DPS in exchange for being primarily a melee Passive, which, suits your build fine. I think it gives you energy back on Knock, and, you have some Knock.

A classic choice would be Masterful Dodge + BCR w/Resurgent Reiki. BCR adds another layer of healing to help keep you topped off & combined with Masterful Dodge you get a solid 'oh nos' button.

Masterful Dodge + BCR + Devour Essence (I use it w/phlebotomist advantage but I have poison already in that build) is a fairly wondrous thing.

Earth Splitter is a fun Heavy Weapons attack... It's not bad CC either. But then they gimp it by it being Ranged & part Fire damage /rollseyes. It's still a must-try for any Heavy Weapons user.

As j00 know.. since the powers in question are your last 2 they are cheap & easy retcons..
Some Faves: