Author Topic: Digital Comics  (Read 1147 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Digital Comics
« on: January 19, 2014, 03:34:59 PM »

I haven't bought comics on a regular basis for probably ten years or more. I'm looking at the digital comics options.

Marvel seems to have a fairly neat digital comics library type deal. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Does DC have anything like that?

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
Re: Digital Comics
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 05:04:13 AM »
Yep. DC, Marvel, and Dark Horse all have comic book apps for tablets and smartphones. The first two are linked with Comixology (who also has an app). I believe you can also get comics through Amazon Kindle. I know they at least have graphic novel collections.

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 05:55:23 AM »
If you have a small viewing area, make sure you have animate transitions on.  It really makes up for not being able to read the whole page.  I have it set to show the full page when you get to a new page, then it zooms in on each panel and follows the action & text pretty nicely.  I don't read many comics (and none regularly anymore) and I still really like how it works.

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 07:29:49 AM »
Comixology really seems the way to go. You get access the big two plus lots of indie comics.

I did get very frustrated with their ipad apps, every update deleted the downloaded library, requiring me to download everything i wanted to have stored again.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 02:58:02 PM »
Keep in mind that with digital comics you generally don't 'own' them.  You've licensed them and you view them as much as you like so long as they don't cancel your account or shut down their authentication servers, etc. IIRC, you won't be able to loan them to a friend either.

Think of it more like buying something from an MMO at the cash stop instead of buying a real, physical comic.  If you're ok with that, you should be good.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 04:24:06 PM »
I personally, prefer the hard copy. Could just be a generational thing. Plus, you miss out on going to the comics store.