Author Topic: ICON and the Mini-Map  (Read 12224 times)

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
Re: ICON and the Mini-Map
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 05:35:57 PM »
yeah, there has to be some server-side operation that sets mission map parameters... for instance, what is an "office" map versus what is a cave map versus a warehouse map... how many floors or sub-zones to be assigned to the map, whether to spawn the clean or the derelict version of the map (full of grafiti and fires) and what mob types to spawn in the map, etc
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 07:25:17 PM »
I thought it might be even simpler than that. (I thought maybe it was map objectives that weren't there) I ended up with more questions but here's what I did (i'm including the map files I loaded so you can replicate the results for yourself):

It occurred to me that there were mission maps that were all single level and were unique to certain missions. For example, Faultine Dam interior (MAPS/MISSIONS/UNIQUE/FAULTLINE/DAMLIES/DAMLIES.txt) and the abandoned SG base
 (MAPS/MISSIONS/UNIQUE/ABANDONEDTECH/ABANDONEDTECH_15/ABANDONEDTECH_15_LAYOUT_01_04.txt)
where you pickup Doc Delilah are only used for very specific missions. They aren't randomly assigned. Also, they do not have multiple floors. But no mini maps appeared when I loaded them.

Then I loaded Bunker (MAPS/MISSIONS/UNIQUE/BUNKER/BUNKER_01.TXT) and the Mini-map appeared and worked as normal!

Further, it isn't just the fact that they are mission maps. Because outdoor mission maps load the mini-map and FOW works just like it should. The winter event (MAPS/MISSIONS/UNIQUE/WINTER_06/WINTER_EVENT06_CROATOA.txt) and a Mercy factory mission map (MAPS/MISSIONS/OUTDOOR_MISSIONS/V_OUTDOOR_MERCY/INST_FACTORY/INST_FACTORY.TXT) worked as well.

So it isn't clickable objectives or multiple floors that are the problem since Outdoor mission maps have clickies and the maps I loaded were single floor.

So what does it mean? First, I think that the reason some work and some don't is because of zoning. Even though they are mission maps, the outdoor maps are treated as separate zones. (Can't explain "bunker" unless it is also technically a zone like Pocket D)

I think the key is Door missions. Because when you click on the door, you don't leave the zone that the mission is located in. So when you are inside the mission, you were still connected to the zone you were in.

In Icon, you are not connected to any other zone because you don't have the mission parameters that tell the client what Zone the mission is in or where the doors should dump you if you leave by them.

Indeed, using Noclip, if you leave a mission map, even one that only appears in Faultline or the Hallows, all you get is inky blackness.

So I go back to my original theory that is the lack of mission data (server side) that is keeping the mini-map from appearing. Since there is no Server to keep track of where you are in the world and that is connected in some way to when/if the mini-map is displayed.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 09:36:21 PM »
The client makes no distinction between zone and mission maps. They're both just a map that's being handled (or not in Icon's case) by a dedicated mapserver. When you're on a mission, you're not in the zone you came from anymore -- what happens is that the server just remembers your "last static zone" to send you back to after. But that distinction only exists on the server, not on the client.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 09:45:13 PM »
Oh, I think I see what's going on. Try loading the bunker map, or the mercy factory instance. Press F4 to turn on see-everything, then turn around and look at the door. See that orange arrow with the letters "MAP"? That's a map switch beacon. They're most commonly used on multi-floor maps or maps with both outdoor and indoor parts to show the correct minimap depending on what part of it you're in.

Now load the abandoned tech lab map. Notice what is distinctly missing from anywhere in the level.

The Croatoa one has map switch beacons as well, but you're less likely to spawn next to one. The beacon itself has a huge orange arrow and letters in the sky as well as the part on the ground, making it easier to see on outdoor maps.

So for some reason a few single-level maps have those beacons as well, but it's enough to kick the minimap into working. Icon uses the same load process as demo playback, so there's probably some extra initialization that gets skipped over that would handle activating the minimap for simple maps without a beacon on them.

As a workaround, you can also use the /show_all_minimaps 1 command (accesslevel required), which adds a dropdown to the minimap allowing you to select any one you want. It looks like you do get the AE-style markers when you do that, though, and it doesn't seem to track your position even if you pick the one for the map you're currently on.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 10:04:47 PM »
Awesome! I love it when something gets figured out! Thanks for taking the time to answer this and decode my ramblings!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 07:46:42 AM »
Not sure what happened to my notifies on this thread, but lots to read coming back.

The show all minimaps will work really well for my needs, so that's great for me :)

Loved seeing the process along the way too.

Thanks.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 10:06:02 PM »
If people here don't mind, I'm going to add this info about using the mini maps to the Titan Icon wiki page.

With all due credit, of course.
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 11:39:21 PM »
Just asking out of curiosity, is it possible to add mapswitch beacons to a map?

They don't have to actually work since there 's no server. I was thinking if it was a simple line that could be added to the  map text file to just add the beacon somewhere in the level could do the trick.

I'm willing to try, but I'm not sure what to look for.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow