Author Topic: Epitaph: Part Three  (Read 2335 times)

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
Epitaph: Part Three
« on: January 04, 2014, 03:33:43 AM »
- the final parts. As before, its a bit long so I'll break it down.

Thanks for following along.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
Episodes 1-3
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 03:34:16 AM »
Hiya, Paragonners. Alexis Alexander here with more news from Galaxy City.

Well, readers, it looks like we've upset a few people from Longbow. Not that I was really surprised when Handshake told me that. After all, we did break into what was supposed to be one of their most secure bases and used their own teleport system to get here. On top of that, we assaulted several longbow personnel in the process and most likely shot down one of their Chasers. But, as I've told you already readers, we had good reason for that. All normal access to Galaxy City has been closed and, thanks to the way the war walls are made, it wasn't like we could just get a big ladder and climb over from Kings Row. We, rather I, had to get in here and find out what's going on.
     Now I know. And now that I do, it's even more important that I stay here.
    Thanks to the durability of the Paragon City phone system and a bit of computer wizardry from Handshake, we know that the chaser pilot did make it back, but was knocked unconscious upon landing and never had a chance to report us. However a full Longbow rifle team has been sent from Fort Darwin to arrest us. They arrived the morning after we settled in at the furniture store for the night.
    "Gives us maybe a day head start Alexis, not much more." said Handshake.
    "That's assuming that Arachnos doesn't just shoot them to pieces when they show up at the warehouse," said Carpenter in one of our short breaks while heading downtown.
    "Doesn't work that way, spooky," countered Handshake. "Unless they are caught by surprise, or are ordered to stand and fight, an Arachnos team will, pardon the pun here, bug out when they think they've been compromised. That's what makes them so hard to catch outside of the Rogue Islands. And I know the lady in charge of this bunch, she'll have started moving almost as soon as we got out of her hair."
    "Can we trust her not to put Longbow on our tail?" I asked. From things that were and (more importantly) were not said, I gathered that Handshake had a bit of history with Seer Constantine. Although I really, really, wanted to ask about it (remember, readers, reporters are nosy by nature) I refrained since I do possess some tact.
    "Hm," said Handshake with a slightly distracted look, "I think we're OK there. Connie doesn't like me much but she doesn't hate me THAT much, either."
    I was relieved to hear that, readers. Things could have become more complicated that way. "Besides," I said, "it's a big city. Even a full rifle team would need weeks to search for us. Even if they knew we were heading downtown they wouldn't know what route we were going to take or where we might be hiding or, well.... anything."
    "I'm not so sure about that Alexis," replied Sandy. "Since he came here, I'm guessing that the Captain that's after us has at least some brains. He has to have figured out where we arrived at and if he somehow guesses we're heading downtown from there, he'll probably do the same thing we're doing and take the easiest and fastest route."
    "And," I added now that my brain had started chewing on the problem, "He'll have access to aircraft and satellites and other ways of tracking us. Ok, not good."
    I hadn't really thought of that before. Tactics are not my strongest point, readers. It's one of the reasons I took journalism as my major (the other is Daniel Kennedy, but we don't need to go into that now.) Unless we were being chased by idiots, it was a fair bet that they would choose the most likely option from a fairly limited pool of choices.
    "So, our options here are either keep going downtown and hope he doesn't figure it out or give up and head for the Kings Row door, pretend to be evacuees, and hope nobody notices."
    "Sounds about right to me Alexis," said Carpenter.
    "Well," I said as I stood up and shifted my pack onto my shoulders, "I know which option I'm taking. You don't have to come along you know."
    "Why are you so determined to go Downtown, Alexis?" asked Sandy.
    It was a fair question and, I'll be honest readers, I wasn't quite sure myself. I'd suspect some kind of precognitive ability, but I know I'm not psychically inclined. In fact, tests have shown that on the basic scale of psychic power, I rank somewhere around the ability level of your average field mouse. But, ever since getting into Galaxy City, I've had the nagging feeling that it was important for me to get Downtown.
    "Thats where the answers are, Sandy," I said. "I don't know what the questions are yet, but I'll find out when I get there." 
    "Then that settles it. Lets get moving ladies," said Handshake climbing back to his feet and dusting himself off. "The sooner we get there, the sooner I can get a beer."
    We got back on our way again and I noticed a few more important facts about Galaxy City. Electrical service was erratic but in areas that hadn't suffered much damage I could see traffic signals going through their pre-programmed patterns (even though there wasn't any traffic to direct) and lights through shop windows.
    Even more credit should go to Mr. Merle Jackson, readers. His roads have held up pretty well. In the places where they were not blocked by building damage, we were able to make pretty good time.  If we could get a few bulldozers in here, supplies and relief could be moving quite swiftly.
    That relief would be extremely important because the city is not empty. Despite the news stories you might have heard, not everyone has evacuated the city. There are always those people who cannot or will not leave once a disaster has happened. We havent met anyone so far readers, but I can see the signs that they are here and are trying to pick up the pieces. I suspect that they are choosing to be cautious and staying close to home. I don't blame them. Although I do wonder what they'll do when they realize that there really is no help coming.
    We'd been moving cautiously for a half an hour when Carpenter, who was several yards in front of us, gave us the pre-arranged signal that meant she'd spotted something she wanted a closer look at. More importantly, it meant that  we should find a fast hiding spot. She was already fading out of sight when the three of us took cover behind a convenient dumpster.
    There is a very recognizable sound to automatic weapons fire. We all know it because we've heard it in countless movies and television shows. I'm not too sure that would have disturbed me as much as the hissing/snapping sound of a man-portable railgun coming from ahead of us. That sound meant we had run into people that were not known for discussing things calmly and rationally. That sound, for those of us who have heard it before, meant that The Council was nearby.
    Carpenter came running back in a full sprint. Small potholes formed in the ground behind her as magentically accellerated steel bullets landed just shy of her feet. She passed our hiding place and threw herself into a dive behind a parked car. I glanced over at her quickly and recieved a small shake of her head. We weren't getting out without a fight.
    Four Council soldiers advanced around the corner, weapons at the ready. At their head was a figure clad head to toe in black, with a faint purple glow surrounding him. That was one of their enhanced operatives, a Galaxy. The ones rumored to have alien life forms in a symbiotic bond with them.
    We didn't have time to plan. Our only advantage was that they did not know about the three of us in hiding. If Sandy could get them close enough together, she might be able to use her abilities to end the fight quickly. We had to let them get closer for that though.
    The Council soldiers apparently had no interest in getting closer. The Galaxy extended one of his arms and pointed at the car Carpenter was behind. A black-purple beam shot out and slammed unto the car, all but crushing it and flinging it backward. Carpenter had to dive to stay out of the way of the wreckage but doing that just exposed her to fire from the soldiers. She landed and rolled trying to get back to her feet. She was managing to stay ahead of the bullets but she was running out of room to move. It was time for us to act.
    Sandy tore her goggles off her face, took three running steps into the street, shouted, and STARED. Two of the soldiers stiffened and dropped bonelessly to the ground. A third clutched his head and the fourth doubled over in pain.
    The Galaxy barely turned as he swept his arm in her direction and blasted her off of her feet. Handshake stepped forward to catch her before she bounced off of the pavement and I, in a very uncharacteristic action, shot out of my hiding place and into a flying tackle.
    I would like to say that he went down in a tangle of arms and legs and that was the decisive moment of the fight but, I respect you more than that readers. In reality I did manage to make solid contact with him but bounced off of him and gracelessly hit the ground. I don't know exactly which alien he was supposed to be bonded with, but I suspect it was one from the planet concrete.
    He glanced down at me and, although I wasn't expecting pity, I wasn't expecting the complete lack of emotion in his eyes. I wasn't even important enough to be held in contempt. I was a bug to be squashed.
    Before he could finish me off, his head was snapped sideways by a solid kick from the now invisible Carpenter. That gave me time to get to my feet and try to remember what I had learned in earning my belt. I swept a leg out low, trying to take him off of his feet, while she kept him off balance with a fast set of short punches.
    The Galaxy simply soaked up the hits. Nothing we were doing seemed to have any effect. A black aura surrounded his fists as he swung them sideways and we were lifted off of our feet by a blast of energy. Carpenter hit the ground hard and I could not see her moving as the blast sent me rolling backward.
    It was a few seconds before I could stop my movement and when I did, I couldn't see straight. I felt bruised all over and I suspected a concussion. I had to get back to my feet but I wasn't sure I could.
    The Galaxy turned to face me and slowly raised an arm. I could see a black glow starting when his body was suddenly covered in electrical arcs. Handshake was standing in the street, his arms extended and blue-white electricity shooting from his gloves. He sent another pulse into the Galaxy as my battered brain supplied me with a voiceover from Darth Sidious saying 'No, no! Now YOU WILL DIE!' I might have giggled, at that, I'm not sure. Admittedly I wasn't thinking straight but I can tell you readers that was clearheaded enough to see what happened next. The soldier who had been doubled over in pain... changed. His clothing split as his body gained two more feet in height and became a solid wall of muscle and fur. He howled and charged with an almost impossible speed, sweeping Handshake off of his feet in a single blow. He had become, despite all logic, a werewolf.
    The wolf and the Galaxy turned back to me. I couldn't see Handshake or Carpenter or Sandy and I could barely move. I think I managed to get to one knee before the black bolt hit me again and knocked me backward. As my mind and body shut down from the pain, I heard someone say...

"For the glory of the Council."

*********************************************************************************
    Hiya Paragonners, Alexis Alexander here with my continuing report from.... somewhere...

Readers, if you ever get the chance to avoid being hit by a Council Galaxy, I recommend you take it. I don't think any Paragon City travel agent would list it as one of their "Top Ten things to See and Do."
    I was certain that I had regained consciousness but since I was surrounded by darkness it was a little hard to be certain of much more than that. Actually, that last statement is incorrect. There were quite a few things I was certain of. Unfortunately, all of them were unpleasant.
    To start with, I was in pain. A little bit of cautious experimentation proved that nothing was broken or leaking blood but there wasn't a point on my body that wasn't battered and bruised. I also had basic freedom of movement since I didn't seem to be chained or immobilized but, since it was dark, I wasn't about to try moving far. I don't know about you readers, but I have read Poe, and I was pretty certain that Napoleon's army would not come to my rescue before I walked blindly into a death trap. 
    I was on a concrete floor and the air around me was cool but not chilled. That told me I was not in a walk-in cooler or freezer; which my mind interpreted as further proof that I was not dead. My guess was that I was in either an interior room or maybe a basement.
    I thought could hear some sounds coming from outside the room but they were dull and muffled, giving me no clear clue as to what they were. I had already accepted the possibility that they could have been products of my imagination since my ears were ringing pretty badly but I spent quite some time trying to make sense of them anyhow.
    My backpack was missing. For all I knew it was somewhere in the room with me but I wasn't about to go looking for it. It had a number of items that might be useful but the main thing that it held was a personal teleport device that was given to me by a former associate. I knew it was powerful enough to carry me home from anywhere on the planet but, since it relied on a connection to the Paragon City Mediport system to function, I wasn't at all sure it would work. Besides that, I wasn't about to leave yet. I didn't know where my companions were or even if they were alive. More importantly, I still didn't have all of the answers.
    A quick check of my pockets gave me my first bit of good news. It seemed that my captors had not bothered to take anything from me and that included my indispensible Blackberry.
    Now you might be asking, why that would be important. Well, readers, my Blackberry isn't exactly factory standard. It's a bit bulkier than you might expect and, thanks to one Etherfalcon, it is a marvel of miniaturized technology. While it has been turned into a bit of an electronic Swiss Army Knife, it was one of it's most basic functions I was interested in at that moment.
    Tell me readers, when you're getting home late from work and the front porch light is out and you can't quite see where to put the key what do you do? That's right, you use the light from your cell phone display like a flashlight.
    The glow from the screen didn't really light the room, but it did make it less dark. Holding it carefully in front of me, I was able to move around a bit and get a better feel for the place.
    I was in a concrete room of maybe thirty feet by thirty feet with, fortunately, neither the pit in the floor or the swinging pendulum that my imagination tried to supply. The room was bare of decoration but there was a metal mesh surrounding the walls and ceiling that looked familiar but I couldn't recall why.
    The only objects of interest in the room (other than myself of course) were a short flight of concrete steps leading up to the ceiling and a possible way out, and a large metallic box in one corner. I decided to take a close look at the box on the off chance that it might contain something that would be of use in getting away from my captors. The box itself was a dull metal of what might have been a grayish green color and it was held closed by a simple set of latches at each end.
    You know the old phrase "Curiosity Killed the Cat'? Well, even Schrodinger's metaphorical cat would have taken the first train out of town at the contents of this box. Readers, I'm not an expert in physics...

... but I'm pretty certain I recognize an Atomic bomb when I see one.

**********************************************************************************
    Hiya Paragonners, Alexis Alexander here from someplace I'd rather not be...

I know what you're thinking readers, how does somebody 'recognize an Atomic bomb when they see one'? It's not like they are common, everyday objects; even in Paragon City. I'll admit to a bit of hyperbole there readers. It's not like there were words on it that said "Hi there, you have just encountered an Atomic bomb. Please handle with caution.' But there were several details that added up to a very worrysome picture.
    For starters, the object in the box was a large metal cone about 4 feet in length and about 2 feet across the base, that looked very much like the nose cone of some kind of missile. Secondly, there were several wires leading out of the blunt end and down into the box it was sitting in. All of those wires seemed to be attached to something and, now that I was right next to it, I could feel a faint vibration. The final clue, and the one that tied it all together, was the printing on the inside of the box's lid which read "property: Warburg Arsenal."
    I was trying to decide whether or not to close the box and cower in the farthest corner of the room or close the box and start trying to dig a deep, deep, hole when the room was suddenly lit by a shaft of light from the ceiling and a voice said "Please close the box slowly, Ms. Alexander. I intend for that to explode, but not quite yet."
    I slowly closed the box and took a few steps backward before turning to face the speaker behind me. I wish I could describe him for you readers but the light flooding in had him backlit to the point where all I could see was a silhouette. Even this faded as he stepped down into the room and let the trapdoor close behind him. Once his head was clear of the ceiling, he sat down on the stairs and seemed to relax. When he spoke again his voice was pleasant but it had a faintly unsettling accent that I could not place.
    "I am glad to see you awake Ms. Alexander. I was wondering if you were more injured than you appeared. It's a very good thing that you aren't. It will make things easier over the next few hours."
    "And you are?" I asked. I was still a bit stunned by the bomb and perhaps not quite as polite as I could have been.
    "My apologies. I should have introduced myself. I am Claudio Didraghi. Archon Didraghi to be precise. I am the commander of the local Council detachment. By the way, " he said with a slight wave of his arms "please don't waste your time trying to get a signal on your electronic device. In fact, it might be best if you switched it off entirely.  It seems that the previous owners of that weapon weren't very trusting and have rigged a fairly complicated radio controlled self destruct on it. We haven't quite defeated that yet so, for now, we need to keep it down here in this signal shielded room. I think you'll agree that we don't want that going off accidentally?"
    I hurriedly powered down the Blackberry and dropped it back in my pocket. This took away the last remaining source of light in the room but I had no intention of being the cause of an Atomic explosion, even if it was an accident.
    "You said you intend for it to explode." I said.
    "I did, and very nice to see you were paying attention. What I should have said is that we don't want the weapon detonating until the right time."
    "And what time would that be," I asked. I was trying to sound brave but the reality was that I was caught in the dark between an Atomic bomb and a man who had every intention of using one. I'd have started digging that hole I mentioned if I had a shovel.
    "Actually, not long now. By this time tomorrow, we will have used this weapon to demonstrate to the entire world the superiority of the Council. You see Ms. Alexander, the meteors that have fallen on Galaxy City were not just simple stone or iron but carrying pods for the aliens we know as Shivans. Normally, this would be a simple matter to deal with but, unlike the landings on Bloody Bay years ago, these meteors brought a different threat with them as well.
    These Shivans are different, more aggressive, made not of the bones of our dearly departed but the concete and steel of the city itself. That alone would make them a significant threat but, in the largest of the downtown craters is a Shivan that is several stories high. Currently it is being kept in check by Vanguard airstrikes but it's only a matter of time before it breaks free and wreaks havoc on the world. We in the Council intend to stop that from happening."
    I was hoping that I hadn't heard that correctly, readers. It sounded like...
    "Like we intend to use the nuclear device to destroy the Giant. Yes, Ms. Alexander. That is our intention and, yes I did just read your mind. Or rather, I could see the thought that was closest to the surface of your mind. I do apologize for doing so. It is a little impolite. I must also apologize for the mental compulsion that brought you into our hands. Please understand, I wasn't intending it to be you personally. Any person with a properly inquisitive mind would have done."
    Readers, I hate when telepaths do that. It always feels...unfair somehow. I made a mental note to invest in a tinfoil hat when I got back.  But the anger did help me focus a bit.
    "I don't suppose saying 'you'll never get away with this' will change your mind?"
    He chuckled at that for a moment before responding "Not at all Ms. Alexander, but thank you for observing the formalities of this sort of thing. And, also in the true spirit of things, I would like to congratulate you on your part in what is about to happen."
    "My part? What?" Not the cleverest comeback I know but I'd lost the plot again.
    "Do you recall that radio controlled switch I mentioned? Well, we couldn't defeat it entirely but we could tie it in to another circuit. Namely the one that we implanted in your body while you were unconscious. The bomb will remain inactive as long as your heart continues to beat and as long as you remain within ten meters of it. If either of those trigger events occur, the bomb will begin an irrevocable five minute countdown and then explode."
    If my heart stopped beating? What would happen if it suddenly doubled in speed?
    "You see Ms. Alexander," he said, all joviality dropping out of his voice, "the current governments of the world have become weak and spineless. They allow threats like the Rikti, Shivans, and Kheldians to continue to exist, all in the name of caution, or some foolish idea of peace. Even those like Vanguard, who claim to be battling those threats don't have the moral strength to use all of the force at their disposal to rid the world of them once and for all.
    We in the Council have that strength. By eliminating this threat we will show the people of the world that we are strong enough to protect them. And,once they see us as fittest to rule then we will continue to show them that strength. Imagine it Ms. Alexander, no more Rikti, no more threats from the skies. No more squabbling amongst weak minded world leaders trying to protect their own petty interests. One world, strong, under the rule of the Council, where no one will need to fear again."
    "But, " I stammered. I could see where this was going and I did not like what I saw. I knew I couldn't stop them physically and I was pretty sure that nothing I said was going to dim the demented dream he saw in his head. But, words were all I had at that moment. Maybe...
    "No, Ms. Alexander. Nothing you could say would change my mind."
    "But detonating an Atomic bomb in the center of the City? That will kill thousands! Hundreds of thousands!"
    "That would be regrettable but we have thought of that. This is only a small bomb. More of a tactical device really. Not much stronger than the weapon used on Hiroshima. Given the estimated yield and the underground location of the detonation, the war walls should contain the blast. Sadly this will mean that Galaxy City and everyone in it will be reduced to ash. But, take heart Ms. Alexander, " he said as he stood up and opened the trapdoor, "you'll never feel the blast. I envy you, Ms. Alexander, you'll be the first martyr of the new world. Think proudly on that while you wait for tomorrow."
    He closed the trapdoor and returned me to darkness. I didn't know what else to do at that moment, readers. So I did the only thing I could think of...

I sat down and cried.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
Episodes 4-6
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 03:36:24 AM »
"Benny reports contact ahead Captain."
    "Is our fugitives?"
    "Yes and no, Ma'am"
    "I don't suppose it's too much to ask that something go right today, Becky?"
    "It would be nice."
    It had been a very long time since Captain Susan Kane had gotten any decent sleep. Her best estimate was that she was going on 48 hours with nothing more than catnaps, caffeine and the occasional powerbar. And the exact reason why kept eluding her.
    She had been sent to Galaxy City on a flimsy excuse made up by a rival trying to shift the blame for his own incompetence and once she had gotten here, she was told by a member of the organization that was, according to official press releases, her sworn enemy, that she had to find one person and keep her alive or 'bad things' would happen. She would have walked out of the theater and probably tried to get her money back if this were a film.
    Despite all that, she still could not shake the feeling that all of this was important. And that feeling was what kept her going. She knew that her body would make her pay for this later and she had already figured that she had a week or two of leave time built up. Once this operation was over, she would get back to California and spend most of that time in a friendly beachside resort.
    The site of Sergeant Reyes' contact call was one that was all too familiar to Longbow teams. Somebody had been liberally throwing around energy beams and other non-standard weaponry. The crushed vehicles and property damage would have been par for the course on any normal day in Paragon. Merely a matter for a wrecker or two and some municipal repair teams. In the already smashed Galaxy city, it was just one more insult.
    Sitting on the ground were three people each being attended by one of Captain Kane's troopers. The rest of her team had spaced themselves around the area. From their positions, they were definitely watching for trouble but they were also making it obvious that they weren't picky about where it started.
    Sergeant Reyes walked up and saluted before giving her his report.
    "We found these three unconscious in the street. It looks like somebody worked them over pretty well. Judging by some bullet casings we found, My guess was that they ran into some Council soldiers. Once we brought them back around they verified that and said the attack happened one, maybe two, hours ago."
    "Did they give you any trouble?"
    "Not at all."
    "Are they willing to talk?"
    "Yes, Ma'am."
    Captain Kane walked slowly over to the closest of the fugitives. His shirt was torn open and he was covered with purple and black bruises. She knelt down in front of him and looked into his face. He had already been bandaged but she could see signs of abrasions across his cheeks and brow.
    "So," she said mildly, "did you get the number of that truck at least?"
    "Heh," he laughed briefly before wincing. "Well, I don't know about a number but it was definitely from the Lon Chaney Jr. moving company."
    Captain Kane laughed out loud for several seconds. She couldn't help herself. She was fatigued enough to find almost anything funny and she had to respect somebody who had a decent comeback even after being pummeled.
    "The three of you do know that you're under arrest, right?" she continued in a more professional tone of voice.
    "We do. You won't get any trouble from us. Even if we weren't beat up, we know to avoid a losing fight when we see one coming."
    "You took on a Council werewolf."
    "We didn't see that one coming," said Carpenter from a few feet away. "But he's right. We're not going to cause you any trouble."
    Captain Kane saw the third member of their group nodding in agreement. She allowed herself to relax a bit. This was shaping up to be her one thing that went right today and she wasn't going to argue.
    "Ok," she said standing back up and making an exaggerated show of dusting off her hands. "Now that we've established that, and you're properly cowed by the might of my legal authority, ect. ect. ... where's your reporter friend?"
    "We were kind of hoping you could tell us," Sandy said. "We lost track of her after she tried to Judo chop a Galaxy."
    Captain Kane started to purse her lips for a whistle but no sound came out. A Galaxy and a 'wolf? It was a small miracle anyone was still in shape to talk to her. Still, that did not lead to too many nice possibilities for an overly  curious investigative reporter. The Council's advanced soldiers were dangerously unstable at the best of times. Questions just had a way of annoying them, and they were not people that liked being annoyed.
    "Ok, I've been told that it's important we find her and I'll take all the help I can get. For now, we'll consider you as 'working with authorities in the course of an investigation.' Anybody have any ideas?"
    There was a thoughtful silence for a few moments before Sandy shouted "Blackberry!"
    Captain Kane knew she was not at her sharpest but she couldn't quite figure out what a flavor of yogurt had to do with anything. Her three new 'assistants' all seemed to perk up at the word however.
    The man on the ground in front of her climbed to his feet. "Her Blackberry device, Captain. Alexis is pretty much addicted to the thing. She always has it on. We might be able to find out where she is by using..."
    "GPS, " Captain Kane finished for him. Now it made sense. "I really wish somebody had told me that sooner. It would have saved me a lot of exercise. Becky?"
    "Ma'am?"
    "Did we bring anything with GPS tracking software on it?"
    "The mapmakers that are tied to the Eagles. They're sort of single purpose though."
    "Captain, " said the man in front of her, "I have a laptop in my backpack and, assuming it isn't too busted, I might just be able to make that all work."
    "Do it. Becky, help him out. Benny!"
    "Ma'am?"
    "Get ready to get your people airborne. If this works, I'll need your speed to confirm her location. Also, break out the medipacks and get everyone as healed up as we can get. Full permission to use everything we have. If I have to assault a Council base I'll want all the hands I can get."
    "Ma'am!"
    Several minutes passed while electronics were started up and checked, various arcane things were mumbled about adaptabilty and programming languages and elaborate plans were suggested and scrapped in favor of simpler solutions. At least Captain Kane assumed it was several minutes. One of her field medics had suggested she find a quiet corner and let her body burn off some fatigue poisons. It bothered her a bit that a twenty year old was suggesting that the 'old lady' needed a rest but the more practical side of her mind fully endorsed the idea...
    When she was able to focus clearly again, she could see the face of her Master Sergeant watching her from a few steps away. Although she was an old hand at it, Rebecca Woodley couldn't quite replace the worried look in her eyes with a more neutral one fast enough. It was another old habit for them although neither would admit to it.
    "Yes, Sergeant?"
    "Her phone seems to be off or someplace the satellites can't see it, but we do have her last known coordinates and Benny is checking those out right now. He should be calling in a minute or two."
    Susan Kane climbed to her feet and let herself become Captain Kane again. She did feel better for the downtime.
    The speaker in her cowl cracked a bit as Sergeant Reyes' voice broke through.
    "Strike one, Strike three on tac 3."
    Captain Kane and Rebecca Woodley looked at each other in mild surprise. Benny was being way too formal for a normal operation. Their tac 3 channel was a private command circuit for the three of them and something they only used when they didn't want anyone else listening in. Both of the women shifted the channels on their radios and Captain Kane replied.
    "One and Two here. Why the formality, Three?"
    "I'm over the target coordinates and something is not right here."
    "What?"
    "It's a warehouse inside the safe zone Ma'am. Number 25A from the looks of it."
    What was the reporter doing inside the safe zone? The base personnel knew why Captain Kane's team was here, so if the reporter had already been taken into custody, why wouldn't they tell her about it? Once again something wasn't adding up.
    "Ok Benny, get to a spot where you can keep an eye on the place if you won't draw too much attention. we're on our way back."
    "Will do. See you soon."
    As they walked back to the rest of the squad, one thought was bothering Captain Kane. Something about that warehouse. It seemed that she'd heard it before.She pushed the thought to the back of her mind, she'd figure it out later.
    "Squad... and associates... attention to orders."
    It took only a few minutes to bring her squad up to speed and another minute to form a rough plan. Her team would return to the safe zone and seem to split up, making their way to the warehouse. Once they were there, Captain Kane would try to gain admittance.
    "And us?," said the man she had been told was called Handshake. "We're not going to blend in quite as well."
    Captain Kane smiled at that, looked at the three of them and said, in all innocence "Well, you are all wanted suspects that I have recently arrested.

I'm going to ask you to come quietly."
************************************************************************************
    A block outside of the safe zone, and out of the line of sight of the sentries, Captain Kane stopped for a moment for a final check with her advance team.
    "Strike one, strike three. Any news Benny?"
    "Nothing certain Ma'am. There haven't been many people entering or leaving the building but it feels like something is about to happen."
    "How so?"
    "There's a lot of activity around the building. Carts being parked outside, things being moved aside to make room for something, that kind of thing."
    "Ok Benny, keep me advised."
    "First to know Ma'am."
    She turned back to her team, "Ok, just like we discussed."
    They would never win an academy award but within a few steps her team gave every impression of being footsore and worn down. Rifle barrels drooped ever so slightly and eyes were downcast.They had obviously failed in their mission but they could salvage some small amount of pride because, in the center of their ragged formation, were two stumbling, staggering, shellshocked survivors of the worst disaster Galaxy City had ever seen.
    They were challenged at the gates but were passed through quickly. The sentries never thought to question their cover story and, ironically, this was all possible because of Oswald Montcalm's incompetence. It seemed that he had contacted the commanders in the safe zone solely for the purpose of  mentioning, in great detail, how much of a failure he believed Susan Kane to be. But, what he hadn't done, was forward any pictures of the suspects Captain Kane had been sent to find.
    For once in the entire time she had known him, Susan Kane actually had something to thank him for and she was going to use his pettiness to her advantage.
    Once inside the gates, Captain Kane made a show out of insisting that her troops get out of her sight and all but ordering her Sergeant be the one who took their refugees to get medical treatment. After her various subordinates slunk away (as planned) she stormed away on a line straight for the airfield.
    Comparing notes with the reporter's associates had cemented the idea in her mind that her missing person would be found in warehouse 25A. She would have to get into that building but first, she needed a bit of information. Considering the fact that she'd only been in Galaxy City for less than two days, she was hoping that the last person she had heard associated with that place would still be around.
    Luck was with her as Sergeant Wakefield was not only on duty, but was the first person she saw at the airfield.
    "Jimmy," she shouted and waved her arms to get his attention. After a moment, he raised his head and waved back. Handing off his tools to another mechanic, he strode across the asphalt to greet her.
    "Captain," he said with a cheerful tone in his voice. "You're not the worst military commander since George Custer now, are you?"
    Susan Kane had to laugh at that one. "No. And is that what he's been saying?"
    "You know, I think Ozzy has gone and gotten himself a military history encyclopedia. Or at least a script writer. He really doesn't like you."
    "The feeling is mutual, Jimmy. In all seriousness now, tell me what you can about warehouse 25A."
    Sergeant Wakefield looked nervous. "I'm not sure I can. I'm under orders..."
     "Jimmy, something is about to go very wrong and that warehouse has something to do with it. If I can't find out what and put a stop to it, none of us will get out of here alive."
    "You're serious?"
    "Absolutely."
    James Wakefield slumped for a moment. His mouth opened and closed a few times before he replied. "I don't know the people behind what's going on there. About ten of them had come in a day or two before you did with some kind of confidential orders and a couple of big crates of stuff."
    "You didn't ask?"
    "You know better than that, Captain. The higher ups seemed to be happy to see them so all I could say when they asked for me was 'yes, sir.' They wanted me to rig a drop system for some cargo. Nobody would tell me what the cargo would be but I was told that it would help end all this sooner."
    "What about the drop system?"
    "It was meant to hold about 1000 pounds and be dropped from the back of a helicopter at medium altitude. They wanted a parachute system so that it dropped smoothly."
    "Same rough idea as what the Army tried in Vietnam, " said Captain Kane almost to herself.
    "What, " asked Wakefield.
    "Jimmy," Kane replied, "were we issued any bombs when Longbow came here?"
    "No. Vanguard was supposed to be taking care of all air operations. You're not saying..."
    "Maybe, Jimmy. It's starting to sound like somebody is going to try something desperate."
    "What do you need from me?"
    "You've given me everything I need to know for now, Jimmy. Suppose you'd know anyone from the warehouse if you saw them again?"
    "I didn't see many people just one Officer who called himself Draghee, or something like that. And even then I didn't get a good look at him. He never really let me see his face."
    "Thanks Jimmy. I think you've given me the clues I needed. Now just keep your head down and hope I can get this all sorted out."
    Captain Kane walked away from the airfield and rounded a corner to get away from the noise. When she was certain nobody was looking, she keyed the microphone at the throat of her battlesuit.
    "Strike One, Strike two and three, did you get all of that?"
    "Enough of it," came the voice of her Master Sergeant. One of our associates is looking through the base computers now to see what he can find."
    "You gave him codes?"
    "I didn't have to. It's like he never needed them." Faintly, through the connection another, deeper voice replied "I promise to be good, Captain. I just want to get out of here in one piece."
    "Keep an eye on him Becky. Three?"
    "The person you told me about has just checked in with me Captain. She's going to try and get inside the warehouse."
    "Ok, keep an eye on her but don't get in her way."
    "That might be easier said than done captain. She's got an interesting way of not being there."

Hiya Paragonners.

If it sounds like I'm happy, well, I had my cry and felt pretty good. Optimistic even. I was pretty certain that a miracle was about to occur...
    Oh, who am I kidding? I'd just spent the last several hours sitting near (not close to) an Atomic Bomb that I happened to be the dead man's switch for and, at some point in the near future, I was  probably going to be dropped into a pit with both a giant alien monster AND that same bomb.
    I admit it readers, I was stressed by this. But shock is a wonderful adaptation of the human mind. Even though I knew I was going to die, somehow it just didn't seem quite real. I'm proud of the fact that, although I was seriously freaked out, I managed to keep my objective journalistic detachment...
    Right up to the moment someone whispered "boo" in my ear.
    I am proud of myself that I squeaked more than screamed. Screaming might have brought quite a bit of unwanted attention from any nearby Council. Still, I must admit that the squeak was followed by a few seconds of incoherent babbling and hyperventilating. Behind it all, I could hear Carpenter's gentle laughter.
    "Hiya, Alexis. We were wondering where you had gotten to."
    "But...but,"  not my cleverest comeback but remember readers, I was still in shock and had just had the daylights scared out of me. I was still working on getting the brain functioning, "How did you get in here?"
    "I am the Cat who walks through walls, " whispered Carpenter dramatically.
    "Wha?" I know now that it was a Heinlein reference but at that moment, shock still reigned and science fiction recognition had been given a very low priority.
    "I can make myself intangible for a few seconds and pass through solid objects, Alexis. It comes in useful from time to time."   
    "I can see that. How did you find me?"
    Carpenter spent a few minutes getting me caught up on current events outside. In turn I gave her the grand tour of my prison and pointed out the Atomic weapon and explained why I had to stay close to it.
    "Ok," said Carpenter when I finished speaking. "I need to get back outside and get everybody up to speed. Stay calm, Alexis. You have friends nearby. We'll find a way out of this."
    I'd gotten my miracle. Now it was time to make sure it wasn't my last.   

****************************************************************************************
    Hiya Paragonners. Alexis Alexander still here and still reporting from Galaxy City.

My personal list of candidates for Sainthood has grown a bit recently. Not only did my companions survive our fight with the Council, but they also managed to find me and recruit some help from a Longbow Captain and her squad. Actually, I'm not sure I understand that last part since it also seems that the four of us are actually her prisoners but I'm certain we can sort all that out later. Assuming that there is a later.
    Carpenter has become my reality anchor and my only contact with the outside world. She's been relaying messages and, through her efforts, we've managed to put together a rough plan.
    We know for certain that the Council means to drop Albert (that's my name for the bomb, readers. We've spent so much time together I figured we should at least be on a first name basis) directly into the downtown crater via a helicopter. That means that they're going to have to move Albert and I from my basement to the airfield.
    Captain Kane and her team have been watching the warehouse and are in position to sweep in and arrest my captors as soon as the reach the airfield. Sandy and Handshake will be working with the arrest team just in case their special abilities are needed. Carpenter will be sticking with me the whole way and, because of my rather 'special' relationship to Albert (remember: ten meters and he has my heart, readers) she'll be helping me with my part of the plan which can be summed up by: get behind cover, stay down, and try not to die.
    I approve of any plan that involves me not dying. I hope this one works.

"Captain, I have some information and a line to someone you need to speak to." Handshake had proved not only honest but valuable in the few hours since Susan Kane had returned to the Longbow safe zone. Sergeant Woodley had set him up in the out of the way and completely inadequate office that Captain Kane had been assigned. Her rank should have given her something better but the smear campaign against her meant that she was only barely tolerable to the commanders of the safe zone.  That actually worked to her benefit since it let her avoid uncomfortable questions such as "who is that strange man using our computers?"
    Susan Kane leaned over Handshake's shoulder as he expanded one of the windows he was working in. On the screen was a man wearing an elaborate silver and blue mask and bodysuit. " I thought all outside communications were cut. How are we getting this? she said.
    "Skype. I expected to have to do a work around to get Longbow's network to allow it but it looks like somebody already did. In fact I've been able to track one hundred and sixty seven individual Skype accounts regularly accessed via the Longbow servers." answered Handshake. "I'd tell you how many Twitter and Facebook accounts I found, but I don't want to upset you."
    The man on the screen almost seemed to smile at that but took on a more neutral expression before he spoke "Captain Kane," he said, "My name is Etherfalcon and I am associate of Ms. Alexander."
    Susan Kane was impressed. She knew the name and reputation of the person on the screen in front of her. "She has friends everywhere it seems."
    "Perhaps a few more than she knows, Captain. I've been reviewing the information that has been sent over to me and I have to urge you to get Ms. Alexander and that bomb as far from Galaxy City as possible."
    "Why? We should be able to disarm it safely here once we have control of it."
    "You simply cannot take that chance. If that bomb explodes it could trigger a chain of events which could cause serious damage to the entire East Coast if not the entire world."
    "That's a bit dramatic isn't it? Nuclear weapons just aren't that powerful."
    "Ones sitting next to the MAGI vault are. There is a strong possibility that the explosion will destroy the objects still in the vault and that could cause Unpredictable Synergistic Effects."
    Unpredictable Synergistic Effects. Whenever science types starting throwing phrases like that around Captain Kane mentally translated them to 'We don't know exactly what but really bad things could happen.' Susan Kane didn't believe in magic, even though she was in a line of work that required her to accept it's existence. Magic just seemed like cheating somehow. But, if a hero with Etherfalcon's experience believed in it, then she'd have to take the possibility seriously.
    "Ok, I'll figure something out. Can you help?"
    "Not until you get clear of the signal jamming around Galaxy City. After that, we'll have to see what opportunities chance gives us."
    "Anything else you need to tell us?"
    "I'm forwarding some data but other than that, there's nothing more I can do other than wish you luck. I do hope we'll have a chance to speak again."
    The image on the screen went black and Handshake closed the window. A second window started scrolling text and what looked like technical details.
    "What's that?" Captain Kane asked.
    "Detailed instructions on how to disarm a nuclear device using improvised tools, a run down of the likeliest triggering systems, some theories on blocking biological trigger devices... and a coupon for a free Latte."
    "Latte?"
    Handshake shrugged, "Maybe Etherfalcon's taken one too many hits to the head. I dunno."

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
episodes 7-9
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 03:39:23 AM »

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
Episode 10 - end.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 03:42:54 AM »
Hiya Paragonners. Alexis Alexander here (fortunately) with what should be my last report for a while.

My memories of the last week or so are a bit hazy, readers. Being in and out of consciousness will do that to a person. Although I wish I didn't, I have very clear memories of being nearly killed by a Council Vampyre. I can still feel the hammer strike of the blow to my chest and the helpless feeling of blacking out.
    I have even clearer memories of hearing Carpenter's neck snap.
    After that point it all gets fuzzy. There was the sound of gunfire, the sickening sensation of a matter transport, quick snaphot images of a white room, machinery, urgent sounding voices, and, somewhere nearby, somebody shouting. After that came more blackness and not much else until I woke up in bed.
    Now in fiction, the protagonist usually goes through a few panicked minutes of wondering what happened to their bedroom before getting their wits about them. I am proud to say that I skipped most of that. I knew instantly that I was not in my own bed (since I usually crash on the sofa anyway) and, given the elegant appearance of my surroundings and the slight rocking sensation, I had a fair idea of where I was.
    "Would you like to know the date or do I need to remind you who you are first," said Madam's voice from a chair to my left. As usual, I couldn't be sure of what she was thinking, but I thought I detected notes of concern and relief behind her dry sarcasm.
    I turned my head to look at her before replying. I'll admit that I was all prepared with something snappy and snarky, but whatever it was died as I noticed the two eighteen inch fighting knives in her lap. They were the fangs she kept hidden until she decided that someone was a threat to herself or one of her people. I would have felt sorry for whoever it was if my ribs hadn't chosen that moment to flare up with pain.
    Madam had followed my glance and slowly put the book she had been reading. "I just don't know what to do with you," she said gently. "I go through all that trouble to get you into Galaxy City and you have to go and cause so much trouble." She sighed dramatically before meeting my eyes.
    "The Paragon City government has been made to look like fools because of you and they're not happy about that. Still, they have quietly lifted some of the restrictions on relief groups getting into Galaxy City so the people there will be getting more help over the next few weeks. I've asked Jake and Sandy to stay and set up a field office. They suggested an old furniture store for some reason. I don't suppose you know anything about that?"
    I smiled. If nothing else good came from all of this, the remaining people of Galaxy City weren't cut off any more and could begin to rebuild.
    "Longbow still officially considers you a wanted felon," Madam continued. "but at least they have enough common sense not to press the issue. Thanks to you, they know they have bigger problems of their own."
    "Shouldn't they be asking me..." I started to ask. Madam raised her hand and waived it gently.
    "That's not for you to worry about, Alexis. You've done quite enough in that matter. Besides," she paused for a moment, "if Longbow can't clean up their own house... it'll be taken care of."  I wondered about the way she phrased that last sentence but I decided that I probably didn't want to know. I suspected a certain bird themed hero was involved.
    "Carpenter?" It was the question I didn't really want to ask. I was certain I already knew the answer but my reporter's habits would not let it go.
    "It's a good thing that Etherfalcon can afford the best toys for that orbiting tin can of his. Neither one of you were in good shape when you arrived. You, for example, had four broken ribs, a punctured lung and your heart was bruised..."
    "You're dodging the question," I hissed and tried to sit upright. "I'm an adult. You don't need to..."
    "She's alive. She'll be alright," said Madam soothingly. "She had three vertebrae broken but, fortunately, her spinal column was undamaged. She'll be in recovery for a few more weeks and therapy for some time after that. Doctor Vendetti tells me that she should be just fine in a few months."
    I tried to lever myself upward. I wanted to get out of bed but the throbbing in my chest reminded me that I probably was not doing myself any favors by moving. I couldn't just stay there, there were still too many things that needed to be done...
    Madam's expression grew more serious, and a bit feral. "Enough of that.," she growled. "You are going to stay right where you are." She pushed me back down into the softness of the pillows. "Foolish little girl, you've made the Council angry enough to put two million dollars on your head. If you want to live long enough for your wounds to heal, you'll do exactly what I tell you."
    I'm not sure I've ever seen her angry before readers. I decided that being very quiet would be the wisest course of action.
    "You're going to disappear for a while," she said. "I'll lend you the Katana and her crew. Take her...anywhere. I don't care where. Sail around the world once or twice. I'll have an anonymous account set up for you to take care of shopping and expenses and I'll send Caridad with you as a bodyguard. Don't come back until you hear from me. And for God's sake, don't tell anyone where you are." She leaned closer. "Idiot child, you act before you think, and this time it almost got you killed. You have friends. For once, let them sort this out."
    She had spoken. Even if I wanted to (and I didn't. I'm not critically stupid, readers) I was in no position to defy her orders. Besides, behind her anger with me was a deeper fury that someone would threaten one of her people. I figured that it would be a good idea to be as far away as possible. Still, I had one thought that kept running through my head.
    "Two million dollars?"
    "I wouldn't worry too much about that, " said Madam.
    "Why not?"
    Madam paused, then smiled. "I hear there's a ten million dollar bounty on the head of anyone who tries to collect."
    Sometimes, my friends scare me.
    So that's the situation, readers. You won't be hearing from me for a while. Perhaps its for the best. Until then, this is Alexis Alexander. Good night readers.
POSTSCRIPT:
    On the island of Sardinia, a few miles West of the Italian mainland, Archon Claudio DiDraghi sat on a chair in the center of a circle of light in an otherwise darkened room. He'd been there for several hours, but not by choice.
    Eight days earlier he'd been falling from the back of a helicopter and had been facing almost certain death when someone had grabbed him in midair, stuffed him into a body bag, and carried him...somewhere. He had been thrown into a box of some kind, probably the simple pine shipping crate that he could see at the edge of the circle of light, and had been shipped across the Atlantic. It had been several more hours of bumps and rough treatment before he had been taken out of the box, removed from the bag and tied to the chair.
    The Archon knew that his enhanced strength could easily burst the simple ropes holding him, if only he could concentrate enough to break free. He could not focus. Whoever had captured him had drugged him.
    "Ah, good. You're awake. I had to guess at the dosage. Not an easy thing to do in midair." The voice was quiet and had a hint of Eastern European inflection.
    Archon Didraghi grinned, it would be simplicity itself to overpower this fool's mind and escape. He closed his eyes and tried to focus past the drug haze. Before he could clear his head, a dark figure stepped into the light and snapped his head sideways with a backhanded slap.
    "No. Let's not do that. It won't do you any good but I just don't feel like dealing with it."
    "Who do you think you are?" the Archon hissed. "I have powerful friends that will destroy you for this. Don't you know who I am?"
    The dark figure turned his back and stepped back out of the circle of light. The Archon could hear a dull scraping before a padded armchair appeared at the edge of the light. The dark figure was still mostly in shadow as he sat down and calmly crossed his legs.
    "I know who you are, " said the quiet voice. "You're the idiot who was going to set off a nuclear bomb inside a major city. You're the fool who thought the world would love you for mass murder. And you're the fool who tried to make himself the paragon of Humanity by turning himself into a monster. I've met quite a few men like you.
    Right now Claudio Didraghi...yes I know your name... I wouldn't count on your 'powerful friends'. Even if they knew where you were, they wouldn't lift a finger to help you right now. You're an embarrassment to them. A joke. You've made them look bad so they've decided you're nothing but a liability. The only person who cares at all about you is me. And I only care about what you have to tell me about the Council.
    We're going to have a conversation. You're going to tell me everything you know about the Council and their agents in Longbow. You're going to give me names and places and schedules. Once you've done that, I'll ask you again, and again, and again, until I'm certain you've told me what I want to know. Then, I'll decide if you're still useful enough to me to be allowed to live.
    "What makes you think I'll tell you anything? I am an Archon of the Council, I've been trained in methods of interrogation. I can resist every form of torture known to man."
    "Well, thats good to know," said the quiet voice of the shadowed figure as he leaned forward bringing his jet black skin and glowing red eyes into the light. "I'm certain that there's a few techniques from my homeworld that you've never heard of and, if I run out of ideas, I'm sure I can use my imagination." Akim Zedarkov smiled.
     "Shall we begin?"
POSTSCRIPT2:
    The Katana sailed away from the docks of Independence Port headed for who knew where. Madam Masada didn't care where the yacht went as long as it and her passenger were far, far away from Paragon City. She continued to watch as the yacht as it sailed for the horizon.
    "You've reviewed Caridad's notes?" she said to the figure standing watchfully behind her.
    "Yes, Ma'am."
    "And you feel comfortable taking on her duties while she's gone?"
    "Yes, Ma'am."
    "I really am sorry for your loss."
    "Not your fault, Ma'am."
    Madam sighed. "You know Rebecca, you can call me Madam."
    Rebecca Woodley tugged at the hem of her new bronze tone blazer and brushed the tail of her purple and grey scarf out of her face before replying. "I'll keep that in mind, Ma'am."
    Madam knew that there was a lot of pain that her new bodyguard was keeping inside. It would heal in time. Until then, keeping her busy would be for the best. Still...
    "You know, I heard just the other day about someone you used to work with." Madam said.
    "Ma'am?"
    "Did you know that Oswald Montcalm has a thing for..." The rest of the sentence was lost to the general noises of the pier. It couldn't be heard more than a few feet from the two women.
    A few moments later, Becky Woodley's whooping laughter could be heard all along the docks.

POSTSCRIPT 3:
    The fog rolled in as usual over Ocean Beach. Late spring was usually chilly so Lily Abel sat wrapped in a favorite gray cable knit sweater. Down the beach, a group of surfers had started a bonfire to warm up before riding the waves but she didn't try to join them. The locals were a bit possessive about this beach and, although she'd spent more than a few days of her life on this stretch of sand, she didn't really feel like being around other people.
    Two weeks ago she'd been working on the East Coast when an Atomic bomb exploded offshore and changed her life. When the bomb went off it caused her to lose her job, her closest friend, and (in all but one very important way) her life. Since she had no reason to stay, she came back to San Francisco to get her head straight and try to make some sense out of life.
    Things had gotten better over the last few days. She'd found a nice apartment and she'd been offered a new job with very good pay. She hadn't accepted yet but it felt right and it fit nicely with her abilities. She'd relaxed long enough, but it was time to get back to work.
    She reached into her pocket and pulled out a slim cell phone with a Navy Blue outer casing and a small bird of prey outlined in silver. She let the phone autodial the one saved number it had. After two rings a male voice answered.
    "Have you decided?"
    "I accept."
    Lily couldn't be sure, but it sounded like the person on the other end was smiling when he replied.
    "Good. The situation in Longbow is not improving. I suspect somebody is deliberately dragging their feet. Now, how do you feel about going to Mercy Island?"
    "I guess there is a Hell after you die..."

end. Epitaph.