Author Topic: Searching for a CoH replacement  (Read 16509 times)

Cinnder

• Boss
Re: Searching for a CoH replacement
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2014, 06:56:41 PM »
My simple rule is not to believe anything on "CoH resurrected" till a redname confirms it.  Hence I sleep more easily.  Thanks very much to Tony, Code, and Agge -- as well as some non rednames above -- for bringing sanity to the thread.

...even before Taek Kim threw his legendary "There Will Be Dire Consequences" fit at Brian Clayton.

What was this?  I don't recall hearing about it before.  Would appreciate evidence, if available.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 09:08:33 PM »
There must be some rule or something about impersonating site staff right? Is there some way to take action against whoever the person spoofing their address and making these bogus claims?

Just a quick follow-up, but after even more in-depth investigation, it appears that it probably wasn't intentional.

It turns out that when you send someone an email through the forum by clicking on the mail icon by someone's name, it sends it with the source's email address as the display name and the Reply-to address, but uses the default site "webmaster" address as the from email address. In this case, it was stamping "admins@cohtitan.com" on every message sent through it.

Needless to say that's not a good thing as it can lead to exactly the kind of confusion seen in this thread.

It appears to be a deficiency in the forum software as there's no way to configure that, so we've patched our local copy to use the correct "From" address and I'm going to submit a bug report to the makers of the forum software and see about getting it fixed officially. That's not correct behavior IMO.

So I'm somewhat less annoyed now. At least more of it is directed at SMF than any particular person here.

Zerias

• Underling
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2014, 09:14:25 PM »
What was this?  I don't recall hearing about it before.  Would appreciate evidence, if available.

I reported the statement on Gamenikki in Exile a long time ago after hearing the phrase used by multiple sources familiar with the shut down.  As to whom I first heard it from,  I promised them that their name would not be repeated.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2014, 10:04:24 PM »
Just a quick follow-up, but after even more in-depth investigation, it appears that it probably wasn't intentional.

It turns out that when you send someone an email through the forum by clicking on the mail icon by someone's name, it sends it with the source's email address as the display name and the Reply-to address, but uses the default site "webmaster" address as the from email address. In this case, it was stamping "admins@cohtitan.com" on every message sent through it.

Needless to say that's not a good thing as it can lead to exactly the kind of confusion seen in this thread.

It appears to be a deficiency in the forum software as there's no way to configure that, so we've patched our local copy to use the correct "From" address and I'm going to submit a bug report to the makers of the forum software and see about getting it fixed officially. That's not correct behavior IMO.

So I'm somewhat less annoyed now. At least more of it is directed at SMF than any particular person here.

Well I feel a little less upset since it seems it wasn't an intentional trolling.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2014, 10:32:54 PM »
That is a pretty common "feature" in all PHP forum software that I've seen not just the SMS brand. So don't feel bad. the PHP-BB sites I frequent do a different flavour of the same behavior. It was an early response to email harvesting behavior of advertisers.

As far as the server emu efforts go. I will say this. Not to name any names of any parties involved by I was contacted by a few people who claim to be working on software and being to the point of testing, and would I like to join in testing? After a few exchanges with them it became clear that the mindset went beyond simple precautions about intellectual property to the point of NSA-level paranoia. This left a seriously foul taste in my mouth because of my own background in confidentiality and in testing both, and I elected not to take part any further.

Because of that I do not know how far along the efforts of the group I was speaking with have come, other than that they needed capable testing people. But given the mindset it's entirely possible that what was shared with me was smoke and mirrors too.

so for the moment all I can say is that it is a wash as far as I am concerned if anyone out there is any further along than SEGS is, but my gut says given the complexities of this project, that the answer is "no."
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2014, 11:24:02 PM »
No, Manga, you'll get banned for being a filthy Mac user. Duh.

I love you, Leandro. From splasher til now and forever more.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2014, 08:14:31 AM »

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2014, 06:03:52 PM »
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2014, 07:06:28 PM »
I've gotten an urge to play Spore again, but I have no idea what I did with it.  I can't find it on my main hard drive or backup drive.

How do you manage to misplace a chunk of data?

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2014, 03:22:11 AM »

Cloud storage?

Did you put it in a subfolder somewhere?

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »
I'm sure it's on the backup drive somewhere, but doing a file search isn't bringing it up.  I might have to try to reinstall it.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »

Computer gnomes. They're like underwear gnomes.

Also, it's the time of year for me to treat myself to a WoW game time card, so there's that for the next 53 days. Otherwise, I'm getting mildly interested in SW:TOR.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2014, 08:25:10 PM »
Also, it's the time of year for me to treat myself to a WoW game time card, so there's that for the next 53 days. Otherwise, I'm getting mildly interested in SW:TOR.

I thought about re-subbing to WOW but I can't play that game for more than a month or two at a time.

I re-installed Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine the other day but I found out last night. It's also shutting down, I just logged out.
:(

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »
I'm sure it's on the backup drive somewhere, but doing a file search isn't bringing it up.  I might have to try to reinstall it.

Maybe the exe file name is different than what you think it is? That's happened to me acouple of times. So what I do is act like I'm going to redownload the exe. See the what the file name is, do a search for it and if I do have it just cancel the download.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2014, 08:29:42 PM »
I thought about re-subbing to WOW but I can't play that game for more than a month or two at a time.

I re-installed Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine the other day but I found out last night. It's also shutting down, I just logged out.
:(

Which is a shame.

SMT: Imagine is a great game.

>:( :( :'(
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2014, 08:45:22 PM »
I know, I've been a fan of the series for along time. :(

I played an Enhancer/DD for awhile and was looking to start over. Then found it it was shutting down on Feb 28. So there's really no point. :(

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2014, 09:17:10 PM »
Otherwise, I'm getting mildly interested in SW:TOR.
Do it only if you're interested in the class stories. For literally everything else, WoW is better even if you're fed up with it.

elizibar

• Underling
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2014, 01:17:53 AM »
That's why I've gotten into retro-gaming.  I own all those games forever and ever and ever.  Even if another hurricane wrecks my life (which would be a neat trick considering where I live now), I got 'em from GOG.com.  No DRM, unlimited downloads.

And you can just burn them to archival quality Blu-Rays to ensure their existence for the next 50-100 years.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2014, 03:09:14 AM »
Ohhh ya this post is about a game to replace CoH. I had forgot by the time I read through the whole thing.  I have just been playing console games here and there and played neverwinter a little bit.

@Super secret server talk - If there is a super secret private server, and I am not playing on it.  Then scrrrrreeeewww that I am not gonna share my punch and cookies with ANYBODY.  Ill start my own private server.  With blackjack, and hookers.  In fact forget the blackjack!
Awww man...... :(
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl