Author Topic: Hobbit 2 - The Hobbiting  (Read 3006 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Hobbit 2 - The Hobbiting
« on: December 13, 2013, 10:28:07 AM »
Well I enjoyed this movie a bit more than the first one.  Definitely less ad material for scenic New Zealand aka walking scenes much shorter.  The big set pieces were more reasonable this time.  Nothing like the arcade game sequence of the escape from Goblin Town.

Two random cameos I spotted.  1st is Peter Jackson essentially doing the same bit he did in LotR in Bree (yes there's a flashback so they could include Bree) and Peter Jackson's daughter who was a hobbit child in the first trilogy and now a barmaid in this one (in Bree where all the Jackson's live).  Only reason I recognize her was she was in one of the features about the premier of the first Hobbit film in NZ as well as a recent red carpet photo of her with her dad at this movie's premier.

They did add a star crossed lovers subplot which wasn't bad.  And the heavily make upped and photoshopped/smudged to alabaster perfect complexion Orlando Bloom is in this movie.  Love the seemingly infinite quiver of arrows that all elves seem to have.

And of course we now have the water attraction for the Hobbitville theme park as well.

Yea.  I say I enjoyed this movie more than the first one.  Nobody is going to like where it ended however.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Re: Hobbit 2 - The Hobbiting
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:54:05 AM »
Not Hobbit 2: Electric Bugaloo?

:D

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 06:52:05 PM »
No, that's going to be the third movie.

There was one preview that peaked my interest even though it showed nothing.  Nolan's Interstellar.

Two other trailers looked good/interesting.  First is Earth to Echo, tweens find baby/tiny? alien.  Mood seems standard dark/dim lighting.  Super 8ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zWTNKtxEBI

The other which I've seen before but it's beautiful on the big screen ... Godzilla.  And it's been a very, very long time since I heard that music used in a movie or trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjKO10hKtYw
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:01:21 PM by FatherXmas »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 03:02:36 PM »
Love the seemingly infinite quiver of arrows that all elves seem to have.

Elves naturally excrete arrows from their pores.  It goes well with their ability to crap out a bow and make bowstrings from their hair.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 04:31:01 AM »
The "Offroading with Bombur" during the barrel sequence was hilarious.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 08:55:14 PM »
Just saw it, and it would've been a good movie til it took an arrow to the knee.  Actually, the seeds of that annoying subplot sprouted a bit earlier and for far too long during the prison sequence, but the arrow led to the completely inappropriate splitting of the company all to accomodate more unnecessary elf time.

And I really wish moviemakers would stop inserting dressed up wyverns where dragons are supposed to be.

But Bombur's action sequence almost makes up for all that.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Klendarin

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 10:36:45 PM »
And I really wish moviemakers would stop inserting dressed up wyverns where dragons are supposed to be.

I thought that same thing when I watched it last night.
AKA @Great_Cthulhu, Kelvoro, Virtue Server

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 11:46:14 PM »
Saw this over the weekend and I very much liked it.  Much better than the first movie.  Yeah they kind shoe horned the Elves to have a bigger part, but I didn't mind that.  What got me was how long and drawn out the dragon monologue was. It just kept going and going.   

But I guess they did have pad things out.  They're trying to fill three, three hour long movies out of one book after all :-)
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 01:40:41 AM »
I thought that same thing when I watched it last night.

How funny, that was one of my first comments to my friends.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 11:05:28 PM »
On a related note, I just stumbled across this amazing piece submitted today at deviantART. Makes me want to see the movie again (in 3D this time).

"Thorin" by Dino Tomic

JKPhage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 03:25:29 AM »
The "Offroading with Bombur" during the barrel sequence was hilarious.

I will forever refer to it as that from now on. I LOVED that sequence. XD Bombur somehow managed to completely steal the show this time around. He was mildly amusing in the first film, but this time through, despite him not having much screen time, every second of him was gold, particularly him managing to outrun EVERYONE to the cottage.

I actually kind of like what they're doing with the elves and Tauriel honestly, because this IS a trilogy, and if they had simply passed through and been done with it, by the time we got around to the war of the five armies in the final film it would feel like they popped back up out of nowhere. If this was a single film then that wouldn't be an issue.

I was a little on edge about the ending point, but only for a moment. It leaves me very excited for the next film, and alleviates my worries that the final film would be crammed with nothing but filler to pad out two and a half hours leading up to a 30 minutes battle. This way we have two big events happening (and perhaps three depending where that dangling Gandalf thread leads), meaning we'll have a lot of epic story events and probably just the right amount of new material for the film. I was also a bit weirded out and put off by splitting the party at first, but when you think about it, it makes sense for the film. The party is the main focus of the story, and if they were all trapped on the mountain then it would be very difficult to open the third film with a huge sequence of drama and danger that they weren't even there for and then shift focus back to them. This way a few of the party plus Legolas and Tauriel are there for the action and we can kind of get behind that, perhaps while we have some intercuts of the others making a mad dash back to Lake Town to save their companions. Either way, struck me as odd at first, but I think it will work out for the best in the end.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 09:21:43 AM »
Thorin and Co. shouldn't be coming back to Lake Town any time soon - rather, they should be fortifying their position - and the ones that are wrongfully there shouldn't get caught up in the "dragon" battle.  What will be really annoying is if it becomes a hostage situation and the elves and Lake men try to trade the separated dwarves for their part of the treasure.  If that happens the dwarves will no longer be firmly in the wrong, mired in their own greed, and Bilbo's theft of the Arkenstone will seem more like a betrayal.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 07:01:10 AM »
I liked it.

Though... I did comment to my friend at one point, "The dwarves are on a quest to be captured by as many species as possible."

At the end of the movie they'll all gather in Rivendell and Elrond will pull out the scavenger hunt list and they'll compare notes to see who was captured or trapped the most.

_X_ Trolls
_X_ Wizards, White
___ Wizards, Blue
_X_ Stone Giants
_X_ Goblins
___ Dark Squirrels
_X_ Freakishly Mutated Hobbit-like Creatures
_X_ Orcs
___ Overbearing Mothers
_X_ Werebears
_X_ Giant Spiders
___ Corrupt County Sherriffs