Author Topic: Can we save altered maps with new NPCs? (or, add that as a new feature)  (Read 2993 times)

GamingGlen

• Boss
I spent some time populating a zone to use for screenshots for a graphic novel I'm writing, and a bit to play in.  Due to my "ancient" computer (7 YO, Vista) and memory issues (i.e. running out of) I cannot keep the program running for more than a few hours.  Sometimes the inspiration for an idea is short lived and I need a break, then come back to the same set up, or alter it a little bit for various scenes.  But, I don't want to have to reset up everything.

So, can a map, populated with new NPCs and things, be saved via ICON and reloaded later?

Or, could this feature be added?

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
Re: Can we save altered maps with new NPCs? (or, add that as a new feature)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 08:24:53 PM »
They can't be saved right now.

You'll have to wait for Codewalker's answer to see if it's possible or not.
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Shidan

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:01:36 AM »
A while back Codewalker was looking into it but I have not heard anything since.

Is there a way to save what you have created?

For example if I wanted to do a shot of the Freedom Phalanx, but only had time to place Statesman and Positron, but had to come back to place another character.  Can I save what I have done?

Not yet. I have some ideas for persistence in 1.8, so it's on the list, but no promises. :)

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 04:44:59 PM »
A while back Codewalker was looking into it but I have not heard anything since.
this here. Theoretically it should be possible to save or load non-standard maps, but it's up to Codewalker whether or not it's technically feasible to do (the icon exe has enough process space free, etc) or there is enough demand to go to the trouble of implementing it. Icon is not the only project Codewalker is working on you know ;)
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 11:38:50 PM »
So, can a map, populated with new NPCs and things, be saved via ICON and reloaded later?

Or, could this feature be added?
You could learn how to edit demo files.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 12:39:35 AM »
Icon is not the only project Codewalker is working on you know ;)

Anniversary plans perhaps?
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"