Author Topic: Holds and Roots and Stuff  (Read 4027 times)

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
Re: Holds and Roots and Stuff
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 09:51:06 PM »
Near as I know, only one power is a hold and ONLY after it's given an advantage to do so, it also lacks any real theme to it, only seems so incidentally. Everything else causes root, to be specific, Wall of Ice and Ice Cage CAUSE Ice Cage (Root) while any other power in the set has a chance to apply chill and as such has a chance to trigger an incidental Ice Cage, in the same way Hurricane can when you add it's advantage cause the cold damage there causes Chill and chill might cause Ice Cages. I assume those random, possible Ice Cages are also a root and not just for show.
Please don't send blind requests in games to me, I learned to ignore them in CoX, no offense meant. (this is only here until I can figure out how to put it in my actual profile on here.)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 12:48:15 AM »
Are you using something that triggers Ice Cages right now?

I still can't tell if they are actually a hold or immobilize. They seem to be a hold to me but I've not tested much further since last posting.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 12:59:05 AM »
Alright ice burst is the one that paralyzes (holds) the foe although have to pick up the advantage for it.

Ice cages roots the target although sometimes the foe does the held animation or attacks the cage instead. Same with other powers that causes ice cages such wall of ice power.

By definition ice cages is a root even though at times the enemy react as if it's a paralyze.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 01:49:23 PM »
I would say, then, that Ice Cages is an especially good root. I'm pretty sure I saw the paralyze animation like you mentioned too.

It seems like, as long as you stay out of melee range, the mobs get so pre-occupied by being caged that they won't attack. The cages don't last long, for me, but they occur fairly regularly just by attacking and getting agro. They weren't even a consideration in this build but they've turned out to be a decent bonus.

I only have 2 powers that produce Ice Cages. Avalanche with Challenging Strikes for ranged aoe agro + decent dmg + the cages. And I have Ice Sheath on fast recharge. This still produces enough cages to seem more than just visually pleasing. Every lil bit of damage mitigation helps.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 02:52:19 PM »
The only hold in ice is the advantage "Freeze, Dirtbag" on a 16 second recharge.
Spess