Author Topic: Arrow Season 2  (Read 13034 times)

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
Arrow Season 2
« on: October 09, 2013, 01:34:14 AM »
Starts tomorrow. Been waiting impatiently for this for 5 frikken months! ;D

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Arrow Season 2
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 03:11:13 AM »
Title of first episode:

City of Heroes

:'(
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 05:26:30 PM »
I am looking forward to it too.  I watched the series during the summer reruns so I have only been waiting 2 weeks.  I went ahead and bought the first season on DVD.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 01:04:31 AM »
Never skipped a beat. Although, I would've preferred it (from a geek standpoint) if Queen Consolidated's savior had the name "Wayne". He's got connections all over the place, and I'm sure the Waynes and the Queens have crossed paths at some point.

On another note, I hope this show is the one to break Summer Glau's curse. I'd hate to lose this one too.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »
I really liked the season premiere.  The story continued on and it made sense.  I would switch channels during the commercial breaks and it did make me sad to see "City of Heroes" as the title of the episode.  I sure do miss the game.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 09:06:34 PM »
I do hope his costume eventually gets an upgrade from green hooded jacket and eye makeup, though. Maybe something like his New 52 look. Would certainly help him separate his heroic Green Arrow identity from the vigilante "Hood".

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 01:20:35 AM »
Good but felt too busy.  Too many different plot threads.  Still they did it well so I suppose it worked out well enough but by the time the episode was over I felt like I had been sprinting my way through the city.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 01:02:24 AM »
"He has another shoulder."  ;D

Quite an interesting reveal at the end there. Everything's starting to come together. I just wish for once they'd learn how to pronounce "Ra's".

I also keep noticing "52" references. Wonder if that's just something to get the geeks excited, or that's supposed to lead in to something bigger later on.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 01:21:23 AM by Night-Hawk07 »

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »
Loving season 2 so far. We've already gotten an "Arrow-cave" upgrade, he's changed his name from The Hood to The Arrow and he got a new compound bow, all moves closer to the comics. I agree about the mask, and I think that was hinted at when he met Black Canary, "Nice mask." Next upgrade, maybe this season or season 3 may well be a new costume.

So far we've got all that, a kick-ass Black Canary on the scene, a mention of Ra's AND Barry West coming to Starling City soon, woot!

Arnabas

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 04:01:19 AM »
I missed basically all of season one, so I am not watching season 2 until I can catch up, but I am aware of some of the stuff happening and other things coming up.

I read a few interviews with the cast and crew and they were very insistent that this was going to be a "realistic" take on the DC universe and any other characters showing up would be viewed from that perspective. When I heard Black Canary was on, I asked a friend who is watching the show how they handled her abilities and he said she uses technology instead of any metahuman ability. So I am wondering how they are going to introduce the Flash. Is he going to be just some guy, perhaps using some kind of steroid that makes him run at maximum human speed?

I don't understand why DC's live-action projects seem almost ashamed of their comic book origins. They are obsessed with making everything "real-world" conceivable.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 05:41:14 AM »
I would guess Barry might be using some kind of exoskeleton suit with hydraulics, servos, and other fancy tech to make him run faster. Although, with the mention of Ra's and knowing Canary's identity, I'm wondering how they plan to make raising the dead "realistic".
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:26:24 AM by Night-Hawk07 »

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 01:06:51 PM »
I missed basically all of season one, so I am not watching season 2 until I can catch up, but I am aware of some of the stuff happening and other things coming up.

I read a few interviews with the cast and crew and they were very insistent that this was going to be a "realistic" take on the DC universe and any other characters showing up would be viewed from that perspective. When I heard Black Canary was on, I asked a friend who is watching the show how they handled her abilities and he said she uses technology instead of any metahuman ability. So I am wondering how they are going to introduce the Flash. Is he going to be just some guy, perhaps using some kind of steroid that makes him run at maximum human speed?

I don't understand why DC's live-action projects seem almost ashamed of their comic book origins. They are obsessed with making everything "real-world" conceivable.

This seems to have changed with the success of Man of Steel and possibly the announcement of Agents of SHIELD.

Season 1, especially the first half, was dominated by this "make Green Arrow more like Batman, darker, more realistic, GRIT GRIT GRIT." It even heavily copied the Batman Begins soundtrack and had a very Nolan-esque tone, quite frankly it got boring fast. Towards the end of the season it started to feel more comic-bookish and Season 2 has definitely hit the ground running with the idea of a bigger DC universe to explore. The Flash, according to producers, is going to be THE Flash from the comics, Barry West, forensic scientist, some sort of accident turns him into the Flash, full on scarlet speedster with the red costume and everything. They've also name dropped Ra's Al Ghul and the Birds of Prey and Hal Jordan are rumored to be featured in the future.

I don't mind grounded, but season 1 of Arrow showed what happens when you go TOO grounded, the characters lose what define them and it's really bland. By what I meant above, Man of Steel's success finally laid the groundwork for the DCU in movies and the announcement and hype around Agents of SHIELD probably prompted DC/WB to consider what they have with Arrow. Let Arrow be DC's Agents of SHIELD, connect the movie and TV universes. This isn't confirmed by any stretch, for all I know they'll keep Arrow/Flash and the movies separate, but I think they have a fantastic opportunity to build Green Arrow and Flash on TV, then bring them into a Justice League movie with no needed introduction, save that for the characters that need it.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 06:30:24 PM »
Speaking of Birds of Prey nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room?  BC lair is a clock tower.  As for the unevenness of season 1 I rather think it played out naturally.

Spoiler for Hidden:
1st half it was all about the names in the book and not what their significance meant.  Why did dear old Daddy have a book containing a list of powerful corrupt or criminally involved people?  Why did he feel so guilty?.  Why is Mommy talking to the man (Merlyn senior) about Oliver's kidnapping episode 1?  It set the flavor and formula for how the episodes play out as well as establish all the players.

2nd half was when Oliver learned about "The Undertaking" but not what it is.  Discovered Mommy's involvement and raced to stop it from happening.  And great fake out with the 2nd earthquake machine.

So this season we have "Paragon City".  Large area of the city devastated with the criminal element pouring in to take advantage of an undermanned police force.  Therefore "City of Heroes", where individuals are stepping up trying to fill the gap.  Yes I think Flash will be the first science origin hero.  However I don't think they are going to form a League.

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 12:03:45 AM »
So far we've got all that, a kick-ass Black Canary on the scene, a mention of Ra's AND Barry West coming to Starling City soon, woot!

I'm only half way through season one so haven't seen anything from season two yet.  But they're calling him Barry West?!?!   Why does the WB/DC make so many unneeded changes to their characters?
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 07:32:10 AM »
Pretty sure it's Barry Allen and not an amalgam of Flashes.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/10/16/arrow/

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 11:15:04 AM »

Can't find it now, but I was probably just mistaken, could have sworn I read someone refer to Arrow's Flash as that however.

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 10:33:49 PM »

Well thank goodness for that . :) they'very essentially cut off Black Canary from being called Dinah Lance (unless they say that Laurel has has some random cousin). I get making changes to characters when moving to a new medium, but DC/WB have this odd tendency to make random unneeded changes (like names).  As someone mentioned earlier, its like they're ashamed of their characters and don't think that the things that have kept the characters around for decades are worth bringing into the spotloght
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 10:51:57 PM »
Hope is not lost that Laura takes up the mantle once the current BC falls.  And wasn't River Song Dinah?

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 01:01:00 AM »
Something tells me they at least kept it in the family. Between the flashback scenes of the League of Assassins being on the island, and that ninja name-dropping Ra's al Ghul, I'm betting Canary is Sara Lance (actually, the Arrow Wiki spoils it right here). Like I said before, though, I'm curious how they handle her resurrection if they're trying to go the ultra-realistic route. Maybe she never died, Oliver just assumed she did cause he never saw her get out. Guess we'll find out tomorrow based on the pictures the Arrow Facebook and Twitter accounts put out today.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 05:31:35 AM »
And now we have Professor Ivo who appears to be working with the League. Hmm....