Author Topic: WWI Flight Simulation  (Read 1428 times)

FourSpeed

• Lieutenant
WWI Flight Simulation
« on: September 26, 2013, 09:04:42 PM »
For those folks interested in being a WWI Knight of the Sky, I can heartily recommend the game
Rise of Flight, which features many of the fighter planes (scouts) of the period including the DR.1
Triplane, Sopwith Camel, Nieuport Bebe, and even the 1915 Eindecker.

Of course, if duking it out in the skies of Belgium aren't your thing, you can take a heavy bomber for
a run to decimate the nearest enemy airfield or factory, or fly in several different 2-seaters from the
period and have a friend be your gunner.

The F2P version comes with two free planes (Albatros DVa & SPAD XIII), with the others available for
sale at various prices and package deals. The game can be played Solo in Single Player mode, or online
in Multiplayer mode, with servers catering to all playstyles from non-pvp flight training all the way up to
historical re-enactments on full difficulty levels.

The graphics are gorgeous, the planes historically modelled, and the flying is as close to real "seat of the
pants" flying as you can get on a home PC (imho).

The game is also available these days on Steam, for folks that might prefer that over the RoF site.

Regards,
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:12:51 PM by FourSpeed »

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
Re: WWI Flight Simulation
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 09:09:07 PM »
Oooh! Thanks for the tip. I used to love Red Baron, way back in the day.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 10:43:12 PM »
In my day all we had was Ace of Aces and liked it!   >:( 

None of this fancy computer stuff.  Books!  That's the future.  :roll:

http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/ace.htm
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 08:53:07 AM »
Oh, memories of all the time I put in in Red Baron and Wings of Glory. Is RoF joystick-compatible? I'm not finding where it says anything about controls.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

FourSpeed

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:11:17 PM »
Oh, memories of all the time I put in in Red Baron and Wings of Glory. Is RoF joystick-compatible? I'm not finding where it says anything about controls.

It's definitely joystick compatible, and in fact, I would argue it's "joystick mandatory"   ;D

I use an old, beat up Logitech Extreme 3D with twist stick (for rudder control), and I know
that MS thrustmasters and Saitek X52s are quite common. Rudder Pedals are supported too.

It is also fully compatible with TrackIR which I'd recommend, especially for folks that are planning
to fly Multiplayer Combat  (The cheaper FreeTrack, & FaceTrackNOIR can also be used - I've used
both of these myself on two of my PC's).

Learning to fly these crates is fairly easy (relatively speaking), once you understand that you're
trying to fly a cloth and wood machine with little more than a motorcylce engine for power,   :o   
but mastering them and flying them effectively against other players is quite challenging.

I can also add that their community is pretty decent as well -- far fewer @$$hats than you typically
find in many other MMO & Gaming forums.

Regards,

PS> @FatherXmas -- Books???  Step up to enhanced realism Son --> here   ;D