Author Topic: well things got complex.  (Read 54644 times)

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
Re: well things got complex.
« Reply #180 on: October 14, 2013, 07:53:51 AM »
A lot of TFHM was fantasy as if some out of the blue some major corporation is going to receive some heart felt letter and automatically come to the rescue buy the IP and release it to the public for the warm fuzzy feeling and good of this community.

But since that's a gross misrepresentation - laughably inaccurate, containing at least one obvious untruth - that's neither here nor there.

Lets not forget this case that happened here in NYC - a drunk man fell into the train tracks -then later sued NYC and the Transit Authority for $4 million because there was no one to stop him falling into the tracks - and he won the case.

That's a neat mix of just untrue and slightly more complex. The actual grounds for the award was that the train driver did not operate the emergency brake when they could have done so. However, whatever you think of that case, it was more sensible than this one because it was brought by someone actually involved with the incident.

You can sue people for a lot of things, but you can't sue someone (with any chance of getting any result but an annoyed judge) for something they did to another third party with no real connection to you.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #181 on: October 14, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »
TFHM was to show another company who has like interests in gaming and in Disney's case OWN MARVEL.

It was to show that a PROFITABLE game was shut and that they could buy it and make a profit themselves with eight years of content to pull from.

But if your view is that people just sent out stuff randomly without a plan.........well no there was and is still a plan.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 14, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
TFHM is still going on. It was limited to only 4 people at first.

One was VV and with her mother dying and being on the hook for a new book to write - she has obviously had a full plate.

Rae is still working on some efforts. I know I put forward a possible buyer and she is working on it. I am sorry that businesses don't operate in the full public and rarely do they want anyone to know what they are doing.

I know it all seems a bit cloak and dagger, sometimes it HAS to be.

You have 3 projects in the light of day, H&V, Phoenix and Valience.
You have at least 2 reverse engineering projects going.
You have at least 2 suggestions out with Disney and Google and there is a 3rd.

There is cause for hope. None of these is a certainty, I am sorry there isn't more to share but you have either possible legal entanglements or they quiet method businesses use to move on a property. I really wish it was more open but let me place you in the drivers seat.

If you had $10-15 million to spend and were trying to buy a game to restore it would you openly show your hand to have maybe it all to go south and raise the ire of people without need?

OK I'm catching up on the last several posts.

Ironwolf, I take it from your last few posts, especially the above quoted one, that you are now part of the TFHM team? I've noticed a few people are using your quote above as proof that TFHM is still a thing. I'm just trying to make sure you are in a position to speak for the TFHM organizers and TFHM's current status.

This isn't me putting a spotlight on you--I think you've done that to yourself by being the only one presently speaking for TFHM's status. I'm just trying to make absolutely sure that you're an actual TFHM representative, not an overzealous fan of the effort. In your post above you indirectly paint yourself as someone with inside information. Accidental or not, it's clear that people are taking you for a TFHM representative. If that's a misunderstanding, I haven't seen you correct it.

I'm an overzealous fan of ANY effort, but not at the cost of accurate information. I am all for hope, but not at the expense of productive efforts and tactics. It's true that there has been a change of attitude for myself and some others, and the reason for that doesn't need to be repeated. At this stage, there have been so many blind alleys and diminished hopes, the people who are left are the ones who can handle the truth; in fact, anything less is disrespectful. There are efforts that are very open and active right now--and worth peoples valuable time. TFHM is probably not one of them. I would feel differently if any of its founding members were vocal in the slightest, but they're not.

Some of TFHM's members are active in other communities out there. They haven't disappeared. They're not taking time away from the Net. What that probably means is that they're not hanging out here anymore, there are no updates, there are no packets going out, there are no prospective buyers, they're burned out, they're doing something else. I'm proud of them for their efforts, but they might be too ashamed to admit they've quit and moved on. Or maybe shame has nothing to do with it. I hope it doesn't. Maybe they just moved on. They would never have needed our permission to do that, and I hope they're as proud of their efforts as I am.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2013, 12:00:36 AM »
Just want to add something. I can say without exaggeration, I'd be stoked to be corrected on this. But therein would lie a separate problem as well.

Let's say a TFHM representative pops up and is like, "Yo Cap'n, me and my homies are still sending out pitch packages! Like what are you even talking about lololol?"

I guess, at this point, I'd want to know whose idea this strategy was: making the body of your effort appear as much like a corpse without a pulse as possible, thereby driving your audience away, so that when you need them to write letters to prospective buyers, they will no longer be there to hear your Call to Action.

I suppose the real issue here is, whether or not there is a functioning TFHM, its relationship with the community cannot be explained in any way that makes sound strategic sense.

There is a difference between protecting insider information and keeping the carrot on the stick.

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2013, 12:51:48 AM »
You know, an alternative explanation could just as easily be that TFHM had somebody reply and say they were interested but they needed more internal discussion or to try and establish contact with NCSoft. Such a thing could take a lot of time and it might not be in the best interests for the company involved to have their interest known before any kind of deal happened.

Equally packs could have gone out to other companies where they had a contact and the nature of the relationship meant there wasn't much point in getting the community involved in letter writing or the like. If they mentioned too many situations like that I'm sure they'd be accused of bragging or spreading false hope by some people here.

I have no insider information, I'm just saying that no news doesn't have to be a negative thing. I think everyone involved knew or should have known from the beginning that these kind of plans were long shots (hence the name Task Force Hail Mary). But if we want the game back they're shots worth taking, but taking it didn't stop them being long shots. Having a few long shots fizzle (if indeed they have) shouldn't discourage anyone too much if they entered into this with eyes wide open.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #185 on: October 15, 2013, 01:34:04 AM »
"I'm just saying that no news doesn't have to be a negative thing"

I completely agree with this statement. There could be lots of stuff being worked on behind the scenes that we just don't have privy to, and probably won't for a while. I won't give up the hope that someday, we will get our city back. I might not be wealthy (I don't have enough money to 'pay attention') but I have a plethora of faith and patience.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #186 on: October 15, 2013, 01:14:18 PM »
I am not on the team. I have spoken to members of the team about a possible interest in the game.

I am on my blackberry now will elaborate later.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #187 on: October 15, 2013, 06:29:10 PM »
I live in Michigan and work in Detroit.

A person named Dan Gilbert (owns Quicken loans) is a huge believer in community. He is trying to turn Detroit and Michigan as well around. How serious is he?

1. When they started a jail here and ran out of money while building it - he paid the $113 million they spent on it to buy the city out of debt.
2. He holds Technology fairs trying to wrangle programmers and technology manufacturers to Michigan.
3. He will BUY YOU A HOUSE to move to Detroit and work for him.
4. He has purchased dozens (30-50) large buildings in Detroit and is either renovating them or leveling them.

This guy wants to remake Michigan into a new type of state not reliant on the auto industry alone and he is willing to spend millions of dollars to do so. I could with little effort list several HUNDRED things he has done out of his own pocket - or coordinating with others. He pitched in to buy 23 EMS vehicles and 100 police cars http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2013/03/25/8-million-donation-from-businesses-to-help-Detroit-get-23-EMS-units-100-police-cars.html

This guy is the real deal. I suggested floating the purchase of the game or helping local developers to use him to invest in buying. It is a proven and profitable title. It would bring developers in. This is something Dan Gilbert would at the very least take a look at. I know people think he only is into loans - but I listen to local radio here in the city and this guy wants to bring EVERYTHING here. He understands a thriving economy needs diversity and the number of businesses he has invested in and things he is involved in - is huge.

At this level there is no point in sending letters or any other support - it is floating an idea. This isn't one of the secret things it is exactly what the name says - a Hail Mary.

I know you will at the least get a civil and polite letter from him. If need be - I would go down and try and speak to the guy and explain what happened to the game and the why as we know it. I would not dismiss this as a waste of time I hear weekly how he has invested in something new to build the city. If he will buy an unfinished jail for $133 million - he could perhaps be persuaded to buy a complete game and build its community.

Can you see how this could be spun? Build new zones with Detroit landmarks - not just Boomtown either :)
You could say Paragon City was destroyed by Nemesis and now Detroit is the new Headquarters of the Heroes and Villians.

rezulin

• Minion
« Reply #188 on: October 15, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »
The company name that bought the jail and police cars wouldn't be or be backed by OCP would it?  Might have a few Ed209s running around CoH if that company did purchase it.

-Fuegocito [Pinnacle]

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #189 on: October 16, 2013, 12:18:30 AM »
The only problem with using real Detroit landmarks is that there's already a spandex game out there that's set in Detroit. Not sure if it's actually a problem, but both games were created by the same development studio.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #190 on: October 16, 2013, 11:36:41 AM »
Just want to add something. I can say without exaggeration, I'd be stoked to be corrected on this. But therein would lie a separate problem as well.

Let's say a TFHM representative pops up and is like, "Yo Cap'n, me and my homies are still sending out pitch packages! Like what are you even talking about lololol?"

I guess, at this point, I'd want to know whose idea this strategy was: making the body of your effort appear as much like a corpse without a pulse as possible, thereby driving your audience away, so that when you need them to write letters to prospective buyers, they will no longer be there to hear your Call to Action.

I suppose the real issue here is, whether or not there is a functioning TFHM, its relationship with the community cannot be explained in any way that makes sound strategic sense.

There is a difference between protecting insider information and keeping the carrot on the stick.

Re: Thoughts on Hail Mary, one year later
Rae posted this thread yesterday. They are still working!

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #191 on: October 17, 2013, 05:40:00 AM »
Perhaps a visualization may be handy.
Picture a plain, well-working computer.....it's on, but your monitor isn't. That computer is just sitting there like a big box not moving. Inside, however, is a plethora of marvelous activities producing a world of things for you to enjoy once your monitor is turned on, and you can actually SEE what's happening. I hope everyone who wants our City back will not give up, just because we don't get a lot of reports from TFHM. They are busy inside that box, working hard to bring back a home.

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #192 on: October 17, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »
Wow, I hadn't even considered that tie in - Robocop and City of Heroes together might make an awesome expansion pack!

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2013, 04:03:59 AM »
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.