Author Topic: Hope  (Read 10492 times)

mr hobbler

• Underling
Hope
« on: September 18, 2013, 04:20:07 AM »
Hello all.  I do not post but have been reading these forums for a while now.  The closing of the game has been a horrible void in my life.  I loved the game and miss the game very much.  I just want to share a story of hope with you all and here it is. 

I have always been involved with drag racing and restoring cars.  My first car I started bracket racing was a 88 Mustang notchback ( coupe) I had to sell that car and a few years later I bought a 91 Mustang notch.  The car needed a paint job and I hired a friend of a friend to paint it.  So i gave him my car so he could paint it and then bam he fell off the face of the earth.  Nobody knew where he went and he was not talking to anyone either.  So after a year I pretty much wrote the car off and went on with my life. Last Tuesday I received a call from a man who was interested in buying my Mustang.  I asked him a few questions and he explained that the guy who painted the car owed the landlord of the shop he was renting $4000.00 in back rent and he disappeared but left the car there.  He went on saying that the car has been sitting in the parking lot for 6 years and no one knew what to do with the car.  So I was able to get a general location of where the car was called the police and received a call back from the police saying they recovered my car.  I went to the location produced a police report showing that the car was stolen and the title and next thing I knew the car is in my garage.

My point is this if I can get my car back after 7 years, which is pretty much unheard of, we will get out city back.  So we must keep up hope.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:31:58 PM by mr hobbler »
Mr.Hobbler__ Fire/Fire Tank___ Elektricini__Elec/Invo Tank
Croation Fire__ Fire/Ice Tank__ Fire Buffett Fire/ss Tank
Mala Vatra__Fire/ss Brute__Vengrance FX__Elec/Fire Brute__Sgt Fire Ball__Blaster__Carbon Element__ Blaster__Witwicky_DB/SR Scrapper__Questron_Healer__HeatherPayne__Healer

pewlagon

• Boss
Re: Hope
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 05:50:19 AM »
True! Greatest thing about this community and all the upcoming projects, we still have hope.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 06:53:38 AM »
See? Now that's what I'm talkin' about! :D

Life works in mysterious ways, and sometimes things you thought were lost to you can come back again. Even if you decide to move on with other things in the meantime, don't just give up all hope. Lost things can be found again.

Usually it takes either effort or patience to see that happen. Well we know there are people putting in the effort, so our share of the burden is patience. At the risk of sounding like a fortune cookie... good things come to those who wait.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 11:53:01 AM »
This! Well said Triplash!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 12:49:24 PM »
See? Now that's what I'm talkin' about! :D

Life works in mysterious ways, and sometimes things you thought were lost to you can come back again. Even if you decide to move on with other things in the meantime, don't just give up all hope. Lost things can be found again.

Usually it takes either effort or patience to see that happen. Well we know there are people putting in the effort, so our share of the burden is patience. At the risk of sounding like a fortune cookie... good things come to those who wait.

Well said.

Moving on doesn't equal or mean giving up hope. Giving up hope doesn't equal or mean moving on. Many people gave up but haven't moved on and many people moved on, playing other games, doing other hobbies or hobbies they haven't done in a while, but haven't given up hope, contrary to the usual sayings.

Life is full of unknowns, randomness, and other stuff that don't make sense in the structure of a movie or book plot. To me, that is what makes life great. Never know what s going to happen. I'm going to work get paid, come home, but at anytime, I may stumble across a hungry man and give him a dollar and he may remember, or I may get robbed and stabbed and left for dead or both all in one day. In life, most "villains" don't spend all day plotting and monologue about big plans to take over the world. Many just want what is in your pocket  to buy a pack of smokes or just bored or plain wave don't know anyway else to survive.

There is a saying good things come to those that wait. Well ,in some cases. Other and most cases a person have to get up and go get it. They can wait all day and night doesn't mean they will win the lottery if they never get up and go buy a ticket. Or can wait for that a job to magically appear out of no where with a phone call of offering a VP 6 figure a year position if they never fill out an application or work to build their credentials and network. Or everyone can stand around waiting until someone else get the party started. If everyone just wait, then the part wont start until someone tire of waiting and do something. Sometimes nothing comes to people that wait. In other cases, sometimes all a person can do is wait. 

Like the car recovery, man, that is nuts. 95% or more cars are never recovered and if most people sit around waiting but dont move on for their car to be recovered, they will end up dying of natural causes waiting on something that may or probably most likely will not happen. But that doesn't mean in the back of their mind they are not hoping that their car turn up. Sometimes people hope the car never turn up as they got better deal on insurance pay off than trying to sell it or trade it in on their own. :D

While I'm waiting, what ever happened this joker that is supposed to pay me back from this loan I gave em in 1995? While I'm waiting should I add inflation and interest?

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 04:20:32 PM »
Great analogy and inspiration, Triplash. It takes time for good things to happen, and when it happens it's all for the best!
- Omega Mk. V

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 02:10:06 PM »
It is such an honor to share this board with the kind of humans who post here....giving hope and trying to uplift others makes you true heroes. I can't help but think that someday, when our City comes back, our continued faith will be vindicated. The ground will shake with the thunder of united voices yelling, "I told you so!"
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 03:06:49 PM »
My first wife died back in 1994 of cancer and my world came crashing down. I loved her dearly and was married to her for 10 years.

Then 2 years after my wife's death I met a new person who I came to love over time and she had 2 daughters from her husband who had died. I started out just trying to be a good parent to the 2 kids and explained while I was not their dad - I was an adult in the house and would work hard to make them safe and develop them as a person.

Fast forward 18 years and I now have 2 beautiful women I consider my kids - 3 grand children and 1 of which I wrote about here. She has been through the wars with me standing at her side and now she is on the path to healing and attends Sylvan learning to catch her up for all the time lost at school.

I have been told by my wife, both kids and other family members that they would not have imagined getting through life without me all these years. I look back and see that while many hardships and heartbreaks affected me - they made me stronger, wiser and a better person.

When we get our game back - we as a group will not take it for granted again. It won't be that game you just play for a while and come back to it, we lost it once and now we will cherish it all the more. Character is the result of hard work and suffering and we will have earned it in spades.

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »
Ironwolf...............I can't even find words....................except, thank you for sharing that.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 03:50:38 AM »
My point is this if I can get my car back after 7 years, which is pretty much unheard of, we will get out city back.  So we must keep up hope.

Hear, hear!  These are the stories I like to, well... hear, hear.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 01:25:52 AM »
mr hobbler's Mustang story made me think of another car reunion tale, about a Chevy this time. It's one of my favourite stories and I feel it embodies what it means to be 'human'. Never fails to bring a tear to my eye :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS3SvdWcAks

As long as there is the human spirit, there is always hope! :)

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
No matter how you are grieving
If you just keep believing...
The dream that you wish
Will come true.

Jimminy was right...

mr hobbler

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 09:33:10 PM »
mr hobbler's Mustang story made me think of another car reunion tale, about a Chevy this time. It's one of my favourite stories and I feel it embodies what it means to be 'human'. Never fails to bring a tear to my eye :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS3SvdWcAks

As long as there is the human spirit, there is always hope! :)

I watched this story and I have to say I had the same reaction that the father had when he saw his car.  The son said it the best when he said its not the car its the memories. My car is not in the condition of the car in the video mine needs a little love but I am working on it everyday little by little. 
Mr.Hobbler__ Fire/Fire Tank___ Elektricini__Elec/Invo Tank
Croation Fire__ Fire/Ice Tank__ Fire Buffett Fire/ss Tank
Mala Vatra__Fire/ss Brute__Vengrance FX__Elec/Fire Brute__Sgt Fire Ball__Blaster__Carbon Element__ Blaster__Witwicky_DB/SR Scrapper__Questron_Healer__HeatherPayne__Healer

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 06:03:25 PM »
This is the character of our community.  Hopeful.  We still love the game and each other and we support the "titanic" efforts in creating our next game home.  The stories shared here have been exemplary.  I'm recovering from a skull multiple fracture and traumatic brain injury when I should be dead, literally.  It's faith and the determination to see this through that has helped us individually and as a community.  We are STILL heroes.  This is what we do.

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 12:58:19 AM »
I think it's a reasonable assumption we will eventually get the game back in some form or fashion.  A sale of the IP would be ideal, as long as the buyer wants an honest revival of the game.  The game's value is only going to go down the longer NCSoft sits on it, so they may eventually be persuaded to part with it.

I would most like to see the game given to the community...IP, server software, source code, the works.  That could be glorious.

Randomvector

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »
Next Year in Paragon.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 11:27:29 PM »
I think it's a reasonable assumption we will eventually get the game back in some form or fashion.  A sale of the IP would be ideal, as long as the buyer wants an honest revival of the game.  The game's value is only going to go down the longer NCSoft sits on it, so they may eventually be persuaded to part with it.

And the IP is going to degrade in value much faster if City of Titans funds and opens for play, as that will vacuum up the vast majority of the people who might have gone back to CoH if NCSoft had suffered a massive attack of intelligence and restarted the game.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 11:31:12 PM »
Next Year in Paragon.

*raises his tea mug*

Next year in Paragon.

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 11:47:57 PM »
I'll drink to that...and if there's a nip in the air, I'll drink that, too!

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 05:51:50 AM »

While I hope it takes substantially less than 7 years, I too hope/expect we'll get CoH back eventually, tho I hope it is sooner rather than later.  Meanwhile, while City of Titans isn't really to roll just yet, I bet it will be tons of fun!  I miss teaming up with my SG mates and City of Titans, when ready, will let me do that, without having to play some fantasy genre MMO.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine