Author Topic: A favorite memory.  (Read 10729 times)

FourSpeed

• Lieutenant
Re: A favorite memory.
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 07:08:42 PM »
I have a lot of great memories of CoH, so I'll share two of them with you.

I started playing the game back in the initial open beta at the urging of a friend of mine who was
was also in the beta.

Usually, I played solo primarily, but whenever he was on, we'd duo together. His playing pace was
typically much faster than mine, so frequently, he'd be in the lobby of whatever building we'd be in,
jumping around like a mexican jumping bean while waiting for me to get there (he's a huge fan of
Super Jump and Combat Jumping).

On this particular mission we were tasked to clear out the rabble from some warehouse, and as usual,
he arrived first and was hopping around the lobby like a ping-pong ball. Just a few seconds after I
zoned in, one of his hops managed to get his character stuck in between the security camera and the
wall. 

It was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen - his toon just "hanging" on the wall. Even more amusing,
was that /stuck wouldn't free him, and by this time, the both of us are laughing hysterically. I forget now,
how exactly we finally did get him off the wall (TP friend, or a GM, I think), but I'll never forget the look.

The second one is in the "payback's a b*tch" category. In the early days, before the hollows, your contact
would send you to Perez Park - typically when it was still several levels higher than you. Invariably,
your mission would be in the twisty little maze of forest paths that weren't visible on the map (one of
the few mods I downloaded was a map of those #^$%&^# passages).

As a blaster, this was a Very Bad Thing, and several times I'd get hospitalized trying to get to the mission
door and/or trying to get back out again after the mission. That doesn't even include the cases of Kill 10
(CoT, Skulls, Hellions, Clockwork etc) in Perez Park missions.   Ouch.

As you can imagine, that area was as much a source of dread as any place in game, for my Blaster,
at the time.

Fast forward a bit, and my Blaster is now L50, and a well accomplished Super Hero. One Saturday,
in broadcast, some poor lowbie was grousing about Perez Park, and it brought back all the early (&
painful) memories my blaster had suffered in PP, and ... it was time for retribution   ;D

I spent the next couple of hours in PP laying waste to anything and everything I came across in that
zone, and I can tell you all, that while I didn't get a single XP point or influence for it, there was a pretty
large, self-satisfied smile on my face the entire time.   :)

Cheers,

CheerGunbunny

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 08:52:06 PM »
I've mentioned it before...all-blaster task force.  Pre-ED.  3 of us were AR. Only other name I remember is Bioly (global @jaberwok when globals came out)....I know someone from CCCP was with us, but can't recall name.  A lesson on the joys of a worker's paradise given to stereotypical airhead cheerleader between groups.  :D

CrimsonCapacitor

• Captain of the Hard Ship
  • Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 09:23:06 PM »
Did an all blaster ITF.  I'm still relatively new to the game, on my NRG/NRG blaster "The Mighty Faceplant" (he died a lot).  I had joined the game late (2009), just after I16 went live.  This was my second toon I was pushing to 50.  He was about 40 at the time. 

I'd run the ITF before, but didn't really remember it.  I remembered there was the thing at the top of the hill, lots of running through caves, something about crystals, and then a long slog, then another long slog and Rommie.

My SG decided it'd be fun to run an "all blaster ITF" and since I had mine in level range, I signed up.

The first mission was actually pretty easy.  Most of the blasters had hover, so when the ambushes spawned, we took out the squids and nailed the lobsters from range. 

It was the mish against the Nictus crystals that I was nervous about.  Most of the toons running this were IO'ed out level 50's.  I was sidekicked up. 

There were 8 crystals, 8 of us, each got a crystal.  We cleared the map without spawning any of the ambushes.  At the end, we all picked a crystal and let it have it, in synch, so that the mission ended and we could jump out before we'd all be incapacitated due to lack of mobility in the cave.

The count started over team chat. 3.... 2.... 1.... FIRE!

I let loose on my crystal... and missed the blasted thing.  I immediately started popping INSPS... red, red...RED.... YELLOW!!!

Team chat starts up:  Why didn't it end.  WHO'S STILL GOT THEIR XTAL?  AMBUSH COMING!!!

I fired two shots, the thing went kablooey, and we all left the mish.

THAT was a fun ITF.  Rommie never knew what hit him.
Beware the mighty faceplant!

CheerGunbunny

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 10:13:27 PM »
Ours was a Bastion (like I said, pre-ED).  Gods, the horrible run to contact.....they hid their cell numbers like they owed you money back then.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 12:00:31 AM »
Guess a fav memory was, in the early days, emotes were all the rage at ATLAS park
between missions.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2013, 06:14:10 PM »
My gosh... there are so many.

I remember back in summer of 2004. I was a complete newb at CoH, in fact I had never played an MMO before (with the exception of trying out Disney's Toontown for my niece). I remember logging on (Infinity Server) and there were so many heroes playing. It was impossible NOT to team with someone. I'd play for 5... 6... 7 hours at a time, every night (I worked the swing shift and would not get home until around 12:45am).

I remember one night, it had to have been around 4am. I was soloing and I happened to be in Kings Row behind a section of apartment buildings. It was dark and I came upon a level 32 baddie. I guess he was the remnants of an ambush that had occurred nearby. I was far enough away not to aggro him (I was a level 10). It just seemed so scary.

Near the end, it was sad when I would log onto Infinity and there would only be a handful playing.
I also played Infinity (my home server!)  I started late, under issue 15, and while I had watched friends play Ultima Online, EverQuest, WoW, it wasn't until City of Heroes that I wanted to play!  Back in 2009, Infinity was excellent!  But since I had created toons on various other servers (just to try them) it wasn't long (about 1 year) before i was playing on Virtue, then Justice and then Victory just about full-time, so most of my game play was on Justice and Victory, but I always came back to Infinity and kept my global handle toon (and first 50) there, teaming up occasionally with old and new friends.  Good memories. :)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 08:39:36 PM »
Back in 2004, I was duoing with a friend.  Our first characters had just gotten to level 6, and, of course, we picked Hover.  One of us suggested, "Hey, let's go check out Kings Row!"  So we sprinted to the tram and hopped on.

We got there and proceeded to beat up Skulls, because that's what you do in Kings Row.  When night fell, however, we began to see these weird green glows atop a few buildings.

"Do you see that?  What IS that??  Let's go look."

We hovered all the way up to the roof of that skyscraper to find some kind of cultists... and some poor citizen in mid-air, struggling, desperate not to be a part of whatever ritual this was.  That kind of threat was decidedly a leap up from purse-snatching, and from that moment it was so on.  The first time I rescued someone from the Circle of Thorns, I knew I was a hero.

(In later issues, Kings Row citizens became ungrateful if not downright rude, but I'll always remember the way they used to be.)
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

Chance Jackson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 10:29:02 PM »
-Doing ITF after I23 or 22 when it was bugged and lots of EB lvl Romi's would spawn through out the entire TF. On the final mission to the left of AV Romi we encountered an EB Romi who had a surprise for us that none of us had expected when this EB died he rezed himself and stunned all of us both in term of mez and in terms of the players themselves none of the other EB Romis had done this, when we killed them. When we killed the freshly rezed EB Romi again he rezed and mezed us again and again until he finally stayed down when we faced off against AV Romi he went down without a fuss seems the EB version ate up all of AV Romi's fluffies thus no Rezes which is a good thing since I'm not convinced we were strong enough to beat AV Romi and fluffies

-Doing LGTF I told the team I was gonna break off and Solo The Clockwork King which I did, but it was a much harder fought fight then I expected as The "Liege Cheetatron X" a Bots/Traps/Mu +1 with all T4s or T3s. At some point my team freed Penelope and they travel back to the exit and one of my team mates asked "where is the clockwork king?" to which another teammate casually replied "Liege soloed him"

-Soloing the EB Lamda turrets in the reverse order that teams fight them, while they work on clearing mobs outside and inside the courtyard.  I only did this on Liege Cheetatron X and I would do it first thing upon entering lamda. depending on my LORE loadout I might meet the team in the middle after destroying half or more turrets(Freedom Corps) or I might destroy all or almost all the turrets(Warworks)
*there was something so amusing to me to see how some people would still go to the turret posts one by one expecting to fight a turret even though I had  already destroyed it already
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 04:06:28 AM by Chance Jackson »
Chance Jackson was my Global, I mostly played on Triumph Toons: LIEGE CHEETATRON X - Bots/Traps/Mu lvl 50 +3; DOWN RIGHT FIERCE - SJ/Fire/Soul Brute lvl 50 +3; FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE -KM/Nin/Fire Stalker lvl 50 +3; TIME MAY CHANGE ME - Time/Sonic/Dark; INFERNAL SAMURAI - DB/Fire/Fire lvl 50 +3 replaced by "NITORYU" - DB/WP probably a brute; THUNDEROUS BRUTE - Elec/Shield Scrapper; And Many More!

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 08:46:21 AM »
Like many, I have a lot. Most of them are with my SG that only matter to us, but one of my favorite memories;

Logging in and seeing familiar names I somewhat know from the server I was on in the global channels. It was like Cheers (the tv show, for those who don't know... where everybody knows your name... opening song... anyway...)

Champion server was kind of like that. There were a few global channels, and some strongheaded people that had their drama going, but I wasn't a part of that, just the experience of one on the channels who kinda' knew everyone just from reading it. I participated in the itrials/tf/sf's folks were running and while I lurked, I got to know folks of various stripes making up our community, good and ill- most of the time entertaining one way or the other to me. ;)

I did the same on the official forums too. I see names here I remember from those (or derivations I can presume are the same folks). Folks I've never met, but have enjoyed what they brought to the table every time.

So, in that respect, those memories continue and evolve. I'm very glad there's a Titan Network, and community that folks still come to, where even if we don't all know our names (like me 'cause that's the side-effect of lurking unfortunately :/ ) we're still part of that 'thing' and will eventually be again in one form or another (as a Kickstarter to the City of Titans project ;) ) I hope it and ALL the spiritual successors to such a wonderful game surpass it and teach NCsoft they didn't understand what they had. (and if any of you get enough funding, hunt down and hire any of the old Paragon staff that still need jobs!!!)

Lyc~
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 08:54:08 AM by Lycantropus »

Stone Dove

• Underling
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 09:02:58 PM »
I came back from Iraq in 2004 and was on leave, when I first heard about CoH. (a super hero game where you make a hero and you can fly!?!) I immediately bought it on launch and started playing on Protector.

-I would go in the sewer at the start of Atlas and heal random group with my 50 ill/emp  (Stone Dove) for no reason than they we're starting out and I wanted to help the 'new guys'.

-When I got CoV EM/SR stalker (Envious) was my first 50. I would sit in Sirens Call and kill blasters like 'Lava Jaque' all day. (cool guy by the way) I remember people leaving the zone b/c I was their bounty and they knew they couldn't catch me (rarely stayed in one place too long).

-I had my Peacebringer (Bluish) built so I could be phased continually (phase + astral shift) repeat. Stalker in zone would try to AS me and be unhidden with no reward. That got nerfed.

-When that was fixed I made a FF/Psy Fender (Butterfly Kiss) who had 198% defense. I would sit in all my bubbles in hover and not worry about stalker/corrupter hitting me. That got nerfed too. But out of PvP zones she could hover on top of Lusca and 98% of its hits missed.

-DR/MS + i9 really destroyed PvP zones for me, but the player and memories made the game soo much more then it was.

Power Play

• Minion
  • Liberty Eagle-Virtue/Power Play-Guardian
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 08:32:46 AM »
I have so many favorite memories from my time ingame.  I started a couple weeks after release and was there to the end, with a few months lapse here and there for financial reasons.  One group of memories that stands out was working with the PTS - The Taxibots.   We used to do "badge tours" where heroes would be teleported around a zone to get as many exploration badges as possible.  We had teams which would invite a player then /recall him/her to the first badge location, where they would tell a brief backstory of the badge.  Then the player would be /recalled to the next one and the next one, each time given a bit of background flavor.  If we had enough 'bots, we would run several teams and get the players through all the exploration badges in the zone.

Another favorite with him was hitting The Hollows, and broadcasting that my Taxibot (Taxibot 59) was on duty, and the services I offered.  I would stand for hours, doing /recalls and rezzing characters.  I would do the same thing inside the AP entrance to the sewers.  I can't tell you how many thank you /tells I got from people who were afraid they were going to have to fight their brand new characters all the way back to the entrance after getting too deep inside with their parties.

A non-Taxibot memory comes from my first character on Virtue.  Hearing it was THE place for RP, just about one year after the game opened I wanted to create a character based on an old Champions pen and paper character from my past.  When I tried the name and variations of it, however, they were all taken.  I decided to create a new character and Liberty Eagle (LE) (claws/regen scrapper) was born.  It was as if Captain America got crossed with Wolverine, although I didn't realize it at the time.  When Eagle was just level 16, I ran into a character in AP who I believe was now called "Old Eagle" (although that was not his name in his prime).  He was a retired hero who came back because heroes were needed so badly.  His backstory gave me some hints at his former career, some of which were very similar to LE's father's story.  LE's father was a 1960s hero called "The Nucleonic Man."  I decided he could have met or known of Old Eagle, back in the day, so I decided to make it official.  Liberty Eagle struck up a conversation with Old Eagle, and he told the older hero how his dad had told him stories of some of Old Eagle's adventures.  It was a great impromptu RP session, but I thought that was all.  Little did I know I (as LE) would soon get an IC /tell that he had passed along word of LE to some friends.  Before I knew it, LE was on top of a skyscraper near AP (this was before bases), learning all about the Gods of the Golden Age SG.  It turns out one of Old Eagle's player's other characters was Mr. Virtuous, head of the GGA.  LE spent the next seven years in GGA, which later represented itself as one of the "Golden Age Heroes" (GAH) SGs, wanting to play down the word "Gods" in the name, as we thought it a bit pretentious.  Here we are a year after CoH closed and I still post on the GAH forums, on GuildPortal.  Lots of GAH players are in CO now, and the GAH is an established SG there.  I could never get a handle on CO.  I never liked any part of it, so I have only my memories of CoH and the hopes for what might come in the future.

I've found another great community though.  Chris Roberts' new (in development) game "Star Citizen," has a wonderful fan community on their forums, although not as good as CoH had.  That will be my gaming home until a successor to CoH is opened.  You can find me there as ODonovan (Irish).

Here's to all the good memories, those from the past and those from the future, yet to be created.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 05:52:41 PM »
I got a few off the top of my head, mainly recurring ones.

Any time my buddies and I had someone going after Frostfire in the Hollow, we'd tag along just to surf on the ice slides. (And help take Frostfire down, of course.) Made every repeat worthwhile!

Hanging out with my buddy Pelonius Zhintel in Kings Row, watching him shout unsuspecting Circle of Thorns groups right off the edge of the high rises.

Oh, also the time that Zwillinger popped up in the solo mission I was running, out of the blue. And I was playing on Guardian, mind you.

And lest I forget ...

"heroes"

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2013, 10:02:42 PM »
I'd have to go with the first time I had my Fusionette tribute on a team to rescue the original. I'd put a lot of work into trying to get her exactly right, but, once I could compare the two live, the real Fusi was just a bit taller, and her skin was one or two shades lighter. Aside from that, dead on.

The team's reactions, before and during the mission, were satisfying enough. But, once we rescued Fusi, and the two were side by side...I hope I never forget that moment. The comments were along the lines of, "Oh, no! Two of them together!" and "Okay, that's just weird." Then someone said, "I don't know; one of you has a tan, I think." My response: "Well, I get out more." The result really made all of the effort worthwhile.

And there are all the times I'd stand her near Ms. Liberty, just for reactions. I could almost hear the sound of brakes squealing when someone would run past, come to a dead stop, and then turn around and come back for a closer look.

I now have a Fusi tribute in CO, and I hope to have one (or as close as I can get) in any/all successors. Devs willing, you'll NEVER be rid of...FUSIONETTE!!!
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Crindon

• Underling
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2013, 10:55:18 PM »
Lets see..

I remember that me on Thunder-Chill (ice/storm controller) and my friend on Bumble Bree (cant remember what she has) and we were hanging around Atlas Park and to have something to do I said "Hey! I got an idea! We both are high enough wanna go to Creys Foly?"

So we head there, and zone it and just the shear sound of the Rikti beaming down spooked us. We stayed in the zone for a bit then hightailed it outta there.  :o

Another member was that in Greatest Heroes of Paragon SG I came up with an idea. That we all make a new toon (excluding stalkers) get it to lvl 2, and head to the arena for some fun. We had a lot of fun by doing that, til everyone left me alone.  :-[

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2013, 12:59:46 AM »
So we head there, and zone it and just the shear sound of the Rikti beaming down spooked us. We stayed in the zone for a bit then hightailed it outta there.  :o

You meant the Rikti Crash Site (via Crey's Folly).  And I know what you mean about the Rikti incoming teleport Portal sound.  It creeped me the Hell out for a longest time.  It wasn't until I had to suck it up, so I could farm the Rikti Portals to get enough Prestige to build out my first solo SG Base.  After, I think, about 8 levels farming the Portals (until I outleveled the zone), I was finally benumbed to the sound.
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2013, 08:13:10 PM »
You meant the Rikti Crash Site (via Crey's Folly).  And I know what you mean about the Rikti incoming teleport Portal sound.  It creeped me the Hell out for a longest time.  It wasn't until I had to suck it up, so I could farm the Rikti Portals to get enough Prestige to build out my first solo SG Base.  After, I think, about 8 levels farming the Portals (until I outleveled the zone), I was finally benumbed to the sound.

Pretty sure they meant Crey's Folly, as there were Rikti all over it.
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2013, 01:05:47 AM »
I used to play Foghorn Leghorn on Virtue.

I had 67 of his insults and comeback on binds. A young silly person started to challenge me to PvP and he got all the way to about 30 before he logged in shame and all of the players were laughing in chat :)

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2013, 01:32:47 AM »
Pretty sure they meant Crey's Folly, as there were Rikti all over it.

I had to think about it and I stand corrected.
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2013, 01:36:29 AM »
City of Heroes was my first real MMO, played WOW for about 1 hour before. I made a character on one of WOWs pvp servers back when high levels would camp the starting zones and kill lowbies. So needless to say my first taste of MMO live wasn't a good one. LOL! So my RL friend keeped telling me about City of Heroes, he'd come to my work with his laptop and show me the game play. Then eventually he bought me a copy and said, when's your next day off? On your day off, install it and call me when your done. So I did, he walked me threw setting the controls up and I made my first ever toon a grav/emp troller called Manisson on the infinity server. I log in and there's a Ritki invasion lol. He's high level buddies and him invite me to party and we basically start farming.(me being power leveled at the same time). It didn't take long for me to become an altaholic. I soon made a claw/regen scrapper and went to Kings Row with him solo. Still being new to City of Heroes and drawing on my very limited experience with MMOs. I get attacked!! Not by one but three (I thought at the time) players!!! So I fight them and win :) I called my friend up and go. "You'll never believed what just happened." He's say "What tell me?" I said, "I got attacked by three players and I beat them." He's like "What!!!??? WHERE!!!???" I said, "I don't know, where ever it is when you leave Atlas." He's like "How in the hell did you get into RV!!??" LOL

The first time, I had someone ask me if I wanted a TP to the top of Atlas. It took me minute to figure out I'd been tricked but hey I got a badge out of it. :P

Sewer runs and getting my first 50 (my claws/regen scrapper).

blueicemaiden

• Underling
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 02:56:36 AM »
Blue Ice Maiden was my main on Justice. I ran with Steel Justice.

Ice/Kinetic Controlelr - pretty maxed out.

One of my favorite memories (actually there are many, but I categorize them all into one big pile) is pvp within our group.

There was a tank named Zeus in our group who I held my own against for what seemed like hours. The details are a little foggy, but I remember us being at pretty much a stalemate, because I couldn't do enough damage to really hurt him, and he could never get close enough to me to do any damage. I kept him pretty locked up the whole time.

Then I went up against one of our blasters named Caw and as long as I could lock him down, I'd hold my own, but if ever got one of his ranged shots on me, I'd get hit pretty hard.

Fun stuff.

Of course, great times were had by all as we met frequently to pvp, try out new enhancements, run missions, etc.

Miss it.