Author Topic: Comic Buffs - Looking for Something  (Read 5550 times)

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
Comic Buffs - Looking for Something
« on: September 10, 2013, 03:15:00 AM »
I'm looking for a Batman comic from back around the mid-late 90s. I don't remember a whole lot about it, although I'm pretty sure it's in the "Batman" line (in other words, not Detective Comics or Legends of the Dark Knight). I just remember that it was big for a comic, the story was kind of weird (for a 7 or so year old, anyway), and it was the first time I saw a curse word in a comic ("damn"....first time I realized it was spelled like that too). The front cover was Batman and the main villain (looked like Bane in appearance, but wasn't him), and Bats had these leads on him that were delivering an evidently painful shock.

Inside the book, I believe the story was broken up into chapters or acts, the Batmobile resembled the one in the Tim Burton films, and Batman himself had a "strange" look to me. He seemed far more menacing than what I was used to, extremely bulky (think Leifeld Captain America), the ears on his mask must have stood up a good 3 feet in the air, and his cape was maybe 20-30 feet long.

Thanks to comics going digital, I've actually been able to find most of the comics I had as a kid, and it's fun to go back and read them with an adult's mind; which is why I'm looking for this one. I know that's not a lot to go on, particularly cause I don't know the villiain (can't even really describe him) or remember anything about the story, but was hoping that description might spark something.

Seem familiar to anyone?

Battlechimp

• Boss
Re: Comic Buffs - Looking for Something
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 10:37:57 PM »
Can't really place it from just description.  But just going off of how you describe Batman's look, it sounds like it happened during McFarlanes run as artist before he went on to create Spawn
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:54:34 AM »
Can't really place it from just description.  But just going off of how you describe Batman's look, it sounds like it happened during McFarlanes run as artist before he went on to create Spawn
My husband says that would be Batman Year 2, which is before mid/late 90s.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:58:19 AM »
He also says to look into Sam Keith's run.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:44:52 AM »
From the ear comment alone I'd say it must be Kieth's run.

Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 02:51:04 AM »
You can tell I'm the grammar geek and not the comic geek of this dynamic duo. lol

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 04:19:23 AM »
Bane and Lobo are similar looking. May have been a crossover.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 05:13:31 AM »
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I did a little more digging using the DC Comics app to see if they may have had something from around the time of this comic (I was figuring post-Knightfall, pre-Cataclysm based on the art I'd see in those series). That app, however, is missing a few issues around the 530-540 range, so I just picked a number in the middle - 535. And low, and behold:

Now, to either locate it nearby physically (not likely, as my local shop apparently pulled everything pre-New52.... >:(), or wait for DC to add it as a digital comic.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 05:38:16 AM »
Wow. That is some turrble art there. His muscles have muscles. That dude's neck...! That is in Liefeld territory there.

Husband says, "Whoa! Kelley Jones is way better than that, I almost don't believe the signature on there!"

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 04:31:52 AM »
Wow. That is some turrble art there. His muscles have muscles. That dude's neck...! That is in Liefeld territory there.

Husband says, "Whoa! Kelley Jones is way better than that, I almost don't believe the signature on there!"

Yeah. The cape is so big he almost wears it like a robe. The good news is the ears are so long he would probably get 4-bars if the Batcave were on Titan.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 07:54:13 AM »
Did a quick check for your request at a couple of on-line sources:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=batman+535&pubid=&PubRng=

about $2 for a nice copy (minus a special insert)

and

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/genresearch.cgi?action=issue&issue=07729452144%20535%20UNBAGGED

has a VF issue for about $5

Hope this helps.. it's amazing what you can dig up on the internet if you know where to look, or how to search.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 01:34:49 PM »
Yeah. The cape is so big he almost wears it like a robe.
would that be a batrobe? 8)
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Arnabas

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 05:11:11 AM »

No, that's exactly how I remember Kelley Jones' stuff looking. As soon as I saw the description of the ears, that was what poured into my head. I hate everything he drew.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:22:40 AM by Arnabas »

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 07:33:37 PM »
It's times like this I realize that not everything from the 90s was good.

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 04:19:34 PM »
It's times like this I realize that not everything from the 90s was good.

I worked ina  comics shop during the early to mid 90s, there was a LOT of dreck coming out back then, comics-wise.
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 10:54:20 PM »
I worked ina  comics shop during the early to mid 90s, there was a LOT of dreck coming out back then, comics-wise.

Oh yeah that is the truth.  I was working at a Tekno Comics during that time, so you could read everything and see all the junk.  Usually anything associated with Liefeld and Todd "I just draw 22 splash pages, lay them out and see what kind of story can be made" McFarlane among others
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 08:35:08 AM »
Oh yeah that is the truth.  I was working at a Tekno Comics during that time, so you could read everything and see all the junk.  Usually anything associated with Liefeld and Todd "I just draw 22 splash pages, lay them out and see what kind of story can be made" McFarlane among others

OMG, I'm not the only one who was aghast when I heard him admit that! 

My best 90s story: When X-Force #1 came out, a friend went through a copy with a red marker and circled all the art errors like a villain's disappearing then reappearing goatee, five belt pouches in this panel, three in the next, nine in the next, a hand with two thumbs (apparently, as Liefeld was bad, I mean IS bad, at hands) etc.  Most pages had several circles on them. 

HA!
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad